Skip to content

BG3 confirmed

KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
Take what you will from this.. I very much doubt Fargo would make a tasteless joke of this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/1047967566168174592
spacejawsOrlonKronsteenProont[Deleted User]killerrabbit

Comments

• KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Ehhh.. It's confirmed "enough" for me
    spacejaws
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited October 2018
    Definitely an interesting little riddle I don’t think Brian Fargo would say such a thing without any real evidence. Of course it doesn’t mean a game is full swing into development but that someone may be trying to get the gears in place to get it started.

I’m not sure it’s Beamdog, and I doubt they would tell us, but I think it would be a shame if the opportunity to work on BG3 was passed over them. Even a collabaration with Beamdog and another studio would be great as these guys have had their nose stuck into the messy guts of Infinty Engine and have been where the wishes and complaints of the franchise have been directed at for years.

I guess all we can do is wait and see :/
    ThacoBell
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I wouldn't say no to a Ravenloft title, either.
    ThacoBellDJKajuruProontRaduziel
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I have the original two Ravenloft modules, but not the boxed set.
    Proontmlnevese
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Now one thing they can do, and I floated this idea before, is to have a brand new adventure, with a brand new protagonist, but with some of the original key players making a return.

Aerie and Viconia are both elves can play a part, not to mention Aerie’s kid. You could also include kids from the series like Brus, Tat & Tot, Keldorn’s or Cernd’s kids, to name a few that can be fleshed out as joinable NPCs.

The player can also revisit key locations to show how much they’ve changed or stayed the same since the Bhaal Spawn Wars.

To tie the Bhaal spawn into the story, all you would need is Aerie’s kid who would carry some of the taint and play off of that Angel of Death angle or something.

This way, you can still call it Baldur’s Gate, but I wouldn’t call it 3.

Granted, you’d have to rewind the clock in the FR world for this to actually work, but it is possible.
    Proontbyrne20
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Oh, goody. We get to speculate again in these forums. I've been missing that. :)

Well, it can't be inXile since Fargo wouldn't go shooting off his mouth if it were his own studio. It isn't Obsidian since they now have their own rival BG-legacy crpg franchise. Larian has very emphatically shot down the notion that it may be them. It could be Beamdog, but I personally highly doubt WotC would take such a huge gamble with such a renown IP as BG with a completely untested studio like Beamdog. I don't see Beamdog having the chops to handle a BG3 and do it well. For one thing, they'd need to at least double and possibly triple their size to even consider handling such a project.

So then who's left? I suppose BioWare is one possibility, though I cringe and shudder at that possibility. The other, and truly awesome possibility is CDPR.
    killerrabbit
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    I think a prequel makes the most sense
    killerrabbit
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    kanisatha said:

No it won't be a prequel, nor will it be a direct continuation from where ToB left off. It will follow Realms canon involving events in the city of Baldur's Gate in the 5e timeline. The "Murder in Baldur's Gate" 5e PnP game module could very well even be the jump-off point for the game. "Adrian Abdel" and other canon characters from the old games (including of course Minsc) may be featured in the backstory for the game, but the game will have nothing to do with any of those characters. It will be a completely new story with completely new characters, but because it will be set in the city of Baldur's Gate WotC will claim it justifies the labeling of the game as BG3 (or perhaps "BGNext" in today's WotC-speak).

There is precisely zero chance that WotC allows a new Forgotten Realms game to be made that is not set in the current 5e timeline. ZERO. They are extremely happy with how things have turned out with 5e and where the D&D franchise is at the present time. 5e is by far the best-selling D&D edition of all-time, and the new PnP game modules WotC has been cranking out on a frantic pace in the past several years have actually generally been very well received. Why would they not capitalize on all of that newfound enthusiasm for D&D? The target audience for a new BG game would NOT be old-timer fans of the original BG games. The target audience would be the literally millions of NEW D&D fans WotC has managed to generate in recent years for whom the old BG games are a quaint anachronism.

BG3 will be open world. It will be first person or at least third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

My $0.02.

Don't know if I agree it'll be first person, but I do think WOTC will most likely insist it be 5th ed, and probably a continuation of things in the region. I'm definitely curious.

BTW, if you guys haven't checked out Pathfinder Kingmaker, I really recommend it. Definitely my GOTY, and has a very Baldur's Gate feel at points.
    ThacoBellPsicoVic
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    I can very much see BG3 to happen. Completely new adventure set in new areas like Dragon Coast, Island Kingdoms which will eventually lead to Baldur's Gate in Sword Coast.

It would feature new characters and maybe some old ones which will give reminiscent flavor of story in BG2 which would help new characters in new adventure.
    StummvonBordwehrProont
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    since it's brian fargo that said it was happening that means either inexile or beamdog are doing it. i disagree with it being a pure AAA game. at worse it will be 3d like nwn 2.
    ThacoBell
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462

since it's brian fargo that said it was happening that means either inexile or beamdog are doing it. i disagree with it being a pure AAA game. at worse it will be 3d like nwn 2.

a Beamdog source has also revealed that their studio is not working on the game
    (source).

And I really hope that it's not 3d.
    Aedankillerrabbit
    edited October 2018
    I'm also surprised Beamdog is not doing it.

Regarding 3D. Today you could make 3D artwork as stunning as BG2 and IWD art was. But, that costs a lot of money and a lot more expensive resources.

But, still 2D design like BG2 has it's own charm.
    danmon said:

I'm also surprised Beamdog is not doing it.

Interesting. For me, that's the one thing about this whole story that is not surprising. At all.

And @megamike15, the game being AAA, along with it being set in the current 5e canon timeline, are the two things I feel extremely confident that WotC will insist on. If you've followed, as I have done very closely, WotC's statements and actions in the past couple of years (since the release of D&DNext) you can't miss that they badly want "big" things from their D&D franchise - big screen D&D movies and AAA video games. The only question is whether they have the budgets available for such grand ambitions.
    LadyRhian said:

Speaking of cities, I'd love to see a game set in Waterdeep. I still The Waterdeep Boxed Set. So much good stuff- The Sewers, Undermountain, Skullport, The Hidden Lords of Waterdeep...

Right on. I'm a Cormyr fan first, but Waterdeep is definitely a very close second.
    killerrabbitunseeingeyeProont
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    edited October 2018
    I'll believe Baldur's Gate 3 exists when I'm actually playing it. it's been an absolute hangar fire of a game at least once or twice before that we know of, so I will be impressed if it actually makes it out the door this time.
    ThacoBellProont
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    kanisatha said:

No it won't be a prequel, nor will it be a direct continuation from where ToB left off. It will follow Realms canon involving events in the city of Baldur's Gate in the 5e timeline. The "Murder in Baldur's Gate" 5e PnP game module could very well even be the jump-off point for the game. "Adrian Abdel" and other canon characters from the old games (including of course Minsc) may be featured in the backstory for the game, but the game will have nothing to do with any of those characters. It will be a completely new story with completely new characters, but because it will be set in the city of Baldur's Gate WotC will claim it justifies the labeling of the game as BG3 (or perhaps "BGNext" in today's WotC-speak).

There is precisely zero chance that WotC allows a new Forgotten Realms game to be made that is not set in the current 5e timeline. ZERO. They are extremely happy with how things have turned out with 5e and where the D&D franchise is at the present time. 5e is by far the best-selling D&D edition of all-time, and the new PnP game modules WotC has been cranking out on a frantic pace in the past several years have actually generally been very well received. Why would they not capitalize on all of that newfound enthusiasm for D&D? The target audience for a new BG game would NOT be old-timer fans of the original BG games. The target audience would be the literally millions of NEW D&D fans WotC has managed to generate in recent years for whom the old BG games are a quaint anachronism.

BG3 will be open world. It will be first person or at least third person, definitely not isometric. It may be party-based, but only because it will also be co-op/multiplayer. It will be AAA. Why? Because these are the game elements that the current D&DNext generation of gamers will want. And WotC will be looking to sell millions of copies of the game, not just a few hundred thousand copies along the lines of the IE EEs or even games like PoE or Pathfinder or D:OS. That's why I feel CDPR is the odds-on likely candidate for the studio working on BG3. They have recently announced that they are, in fact, working on a new AAA RPG game that is not from the Witcher franchise. And Witcher 3's record of 35 million copies sold worldwide has got to be super-attractive to WotC.

My $0.02.

i think you're spot on, but it will 100% not be a first person. some chance of 3rd person, but it will most likely be 3d isometric-style like the newer unity games

cd projekt new game already has gameplay footage. it's a fancy cyberpunk 1st person game reminiscent of deus ex

killerrabbitProont
    bob_veng said:

cd projekt new game already has gameplay footage. it's a fancy cyberpunk 1st person game reminiscent of deus ex

No the CDPR project I'm referencing is the one following Cyberpunk 2077. People initially thought it may be Witcher 4, but CDPR confirmed it was not from the Witcher franchise but was a new IP AAA RPG.

This story has really caught fire online now and is being carried on many websites. Chris Avellone responded to Fargo's tweet with his own tweets effectively confirming the project's existence. So now it seems we are certain of the following: a new "Baldur's Gate" game of some sort is in development, and it is NOT being made by either Larian or Beamdog. Everything else is up for speculation.
    ok. there's a chance it could be CDPR then. that would be pretty good.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited October 2018
    If it’s CDPR it’s reveal would be a long time away probably after Cyberpunk has only just started showing itself.

I mean, maybe at game awards or something if it’s a big enough developer taking the helm but my thoughts are that it’ll be a long ass time before we hear anything else.

We haven’t actually heard anything from Beamdog about the situation. Now that it’s out should they let us down gently? After all members here have been teasing them about a Baldur’s Gate 3 for a long time and listened to them say they would love to do it but its kinda a pipe dream scenario. Then of course David Gaider comes onboard for two years and fans those flames a little bit y’know...
    ThacoBell
    Well, it's Wotc licence so every studio who is involved in making games should know about it because you can't have games with overlapping content.
    We will know about it when it's ready.
    danmon said:

Well, it's Wotc licence so every studio who is involved in making games should know about it because you can't have games with overlapping content.
    We will know about it when it's ready.

that's not how the industry works really, they're not all coordinating like that. probably very few people kow what's going on.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    bob_veng said:

i think you're spot on, but it will 100% not be a first person. some chance of 3rd person, but it will most likely be 3d isometric-style like the newer unity games

We can hope!

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Smoke and mirrors. No real illusion magic in play here.

BGIII has been a dream of mine for a while.

However, BGI and BGII followed a story arc. BGIII would have to be part of that story arc. If they try and push another story that has nothing to do with the events of BGI or BGII, then it is simply not BGIII. It is another game entirely. They should not even attempt to call it BGIII.

I have no issue with them calling it Baldur's Gate: "Blood of..." for example. But BG3... No.
    [Deleted User]ThacoBellProont
This discussion has been closed.