Skip to content

Your Most Epic Moments

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

Mass Invisibility can be cast several times to cumulate the bonus into massive cheesery.

Alright, so I also tested this now in the EE, and no, Mass Invisibility does not stack with itself.

So, no becoming invincible with super negative saving throws. ;)
    ProbablyNotANumber
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Mass Invisibility can be cast several times to cumulate the bonus into massive cheesery.

Alright, so I also tested this now in the EE, and no, Mass Invisibility does not stack with itself.

So, no becoming invincible with super negative saving throws. ;)
    unless of coarse you are an improved invisible dwarven berserker ;)
    Rik_KirtaniyaGoturalStummvonBordwehr
  • ProbablyNotANumberProbablyNotANumber Member Posts: 26
    edited October 2018
    Damn, there are so many combat changes between original and enhanced editions. I'm starting to think that the difference is large enough to make it pointless to compare strategies or share advice with someone with a different edition, just like it is between a standard game and an SCS modded one.

Ok, so to sum up, in case I or someone else update the wiki:

Original edition: Mass Invisibility stacks the saving throw bonus. No other invisibility spell grants it.

Enhanced edition: Mass Invisibility doesn't stack the bonus. Improved Invisibility provides it too. I'm guessing Shadow Door, Mislead, and maybe even regular Invisibility provide it as well. Less likely for the latter as it's a different kind of invisibility in the eyes of the Infinity engine. I can't check for any of those anyway.

I doubt bonuses stack between different types of invisibility either in EE, e.g. Improved Invisibility + Mislead (assuming it gives +4) does not give a +8 bonus to saves, I would guess.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Damn, there are so many combat changes between original and enhanced editions. I'm starting to think that the difference is large enough to make it pointless to compare strategies or share advice with someone with a different edition, just like it is between a standard game and an SCS modded one.

Ok, so to sum up, in case I or someone else update the wiki:

Original edition: Mass Invisibility stacks the saving throw bonus. No other invisibility spell grants it.

Enhanced edition: Mass Invisibility doesn't stack the bonus. Improved Invisibility provides it too. I'm guessing Shadow Door, Mislead, and maybe even regular Invisibility provide it as well. Not sure for the latter as it's a different kind of invisibility in the eyes of the Infinity engine.

I doubt bonuses stack between different types of invisibility either in EE, e.g. Improved Invisibility + Mislead (assuming it gives +4) does not give a +8 bonus to saves.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

im pretty sure that in the original game improved invisibility also gave a +4 saving throw bonus for at least bg2, not 100% sure of bg1, but i would almost bet money that bg2 had the bonus
    ThacoBell
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

Enhanced edition: Mass Invisibility doesn't stack the bonus. Improved Invisibility provides it too. I'm guessing Shadow Door, Mislead, and maybe even regular Invisibility provide it as well.

No, regular Invisibility doesn't give a saving throw bonus. Shadow Door and Mislead actually put the caster under the "Improved Invisibility effect", so they provide the saving throw bonus just like the Improved Invisibility spell itself.

I doubt bonuses stack between different types of invisibility either in EE, e.g. Improved Invisibility + Mislead (assuming it gives +4) does not give a +8 bonus to saves, I would guess.

I don't think the bonuses would stack, because all those spells just use the same Improved Invisibility effect (along with some additional effects for the respective spells).
    ProbablyNotANumberThacoBell
    edited October 2018
    Well, I am richer by an unspecified amount then, if BG2:TOB v2.5.26498 counts as original!

Improved invisibility reduces the opponent's thac0 by 4 if he can't see the invisible, but no saving throw is affected, whether on the attacking side or the defending one.

@Rik_Kirtaniya Thank you, so I think with that we've got everything rounded up
    sarevok57Rik_Kirtaniya

Well, I am richer by an unspecified amount then, if BG2:TOB v2.5.26498 counts as original!

Improved invisibility reduces the opponent's thac0 by 4 if he can't see the invisible, but no saving throw is affected, whether on the attacking side or the defending one.

@Rik_Kirtaniya Ok, thank you, I think it's all sorted for both original and enhanced editions now :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that translation from english to the language you are using in your game ( french perhaps? ) is AMAZING

one of your saving throws is against what looks to be; baguettes as in the french bread?

never have i ever thought in all the realms would it be necessary to be able to save against the most vile and despicable of tasty breads made by the most eviiiiiiiiiil of bakers ;)
    ProbablyNotANumberGoturallroumenStummvonBordwehr
    edited October 2018
    Baguette means wand, you anglo-monster :smiley:

That's conveniently where the name of that type of bread comes from. Would you have preferred we call it chibre ?? Would it really taste better ?
    sarevok57lroumengorgonzola
    edited October 2018
    oh really? i thought it would have meant "rod" since i thought "sceptres" was wand

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

and i just got the joke with chibre, nice hahaha
    ProbablyNotANumberGoturallroumen
    edited October 2018
    Sceptre would be rod, yeah, so the other way around :)

A sceptre tends to be bigger or heavier, things ending with -ette don't give that kind of feel. A king wielding a baguette would either be ridiculous or about to have lunch :D
    sarevok57Goturallroumen
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Roflmao
    JuliusBorisov
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @DreadKhan
    IWD2 eh? I keep forgetting this forum is for more than just Baldur's Gate.
    DreadKhan
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I just like the "Neutre Bon" part. I don't know why.

My favorite French word is quatre-vign-dixhuit (98, pronounced "kahtra-vah-deez-weet").
    sarevok57
    edited November 2018
    Holy Spaghetti monster, it was the most challenging battle I ever fought in any video game.

Ascension's final fight, with Sarevok and Balthazar both in the red team, nobody on the green team, and with the set of rules below. I wish I could record it, but Bandicam slows things down too much.

I had to study and own every nook and cranny of what was going on, but I didn't want to repeat the fight a lot. Partly because I thought it would not be showing respect to the challenge ahead and partly to prevent a "getting old" factor to grow from the repetitiveness. I relied on NearInfinity instead and found interesting approaches I would not have tried out through trial and error. I could discuss them at length but since I'm the only one doing this challenge right now, it's probably not as fun to read and share :)

Anyway it's done now, I guess I can soon move on from Baldur's Gate and not touch it until 2023 or so! Or maybe BG3 will happen in between?

Rules used, hidden to reduce visual clutter. Character was a Kensai-mage 13/28, with base saving throws of 5/5/6/5/6.

- Solo, insane difficulty

- Start the fight with no buff at all, not even long lasting ones like Stone skin. Don't over-rely on summons besides a simulacrum, so that all enemies are really focused on us. In particular, nothing should be summoned before combat starts, not even a simulacrum.

- Avoid cheesy item such as the always-dispelling Staff of Magi or Carsomyr, the Cloak of Mirroring or Reflection, equipment sending stuff back to the emitter, basically anything fancy except the Robe of Vecna and the Flail of Ages +5, which are admittedly pretty fancy in their own right. No consumable either, not even Wish scrolls. No exploit or cheesy tactics.

- The strategy should be reliable and a sure win, which means resilience to a reasonable amount of mistakes, bad timing, bad luck or detrimental bugs.

- We try to stick to BG2:EE rules, so that the strategy works on both editions. That means no stacking two of the same spell, including elemental resistances, and no relying on oddities that might have been fixed. Reproducibility on the SCS mod is out of scope.

- Clone rules: One first-gen Simulacrum is allowed to fight or support, but can't use consumables either. One first-gen Projected Image with its second-gen Simulacrum can be created, but only for the purpose of casting Wish, and from the spellbook alone. Only exception: They can use Potions of perception if the character doesn't have 18 Wisdom, it's a hindrance anyway as they lose 6 seconds.

Note: In original edition at least, a 1st-gen simulacrum does not benefit from the caster's saving throw bonuses, whether obtained from items or hell trials. That's a significant weakness that has to be covered for because large saving throw penalties are legion in this battle. On the upside, this Kensai-mage's simulacrum is 13/18, which means it has one level 9 spell and good melee capabilities.
    For dual class, the formula that defines a simulacrum's mage level is Round[MageLevel - (OldClassLevel+MageLevel)/4]

Post edited by ProbablyNotANumber on
    Skatan
    One of my most recent fights with Belhefit.

My party consisted of

1. Bork-My Barbarian Dwarf who dual wielded war hammers
    2. Edwin
    3. Safana
    4. M'Khinn
    5. Voghiln
    6. Corwin

We had managed to dispatch all of Belhefit's minions with relative ease, leaving only Hephernaan and the devil himself.

Very quickly, Safana was chunked into oblivion and the rest of my party members began dropping like flies until the only two left were me and Voghiln (plus Caelar). Voghiln was pretty beat up but with one last mighty swing he managed to fell Hephernaan before being incinerated by Behelfit leaving only Bork and Caelar.

Bork and Caelar fought tooth and nail, Bork occasionally retreating to drink a potion or three before casting another Barbarian Rage before going into battle.

By the end, I had used all my rage and Caelar was swinging her sword mightily and Belhefit was Badly Injuried and I thought the fight to be won.

But alas! Belhefit began gating in the devils!

Though we fought bravely (Caelar even managed to kill one and get a 2nd one to Near Death), Belhefit summoned a 3rd foe and tore Caelar into chunks as well before he descended on me.

With naught but half health, I charged forward with Bork in hopes of a phyrric victory but my three foes were too much for the exhausted dwarf and his mighty hammers.

Though Belhefit felt the sting of Sundermal and reached the edge of death, Bork rolled one last hit before he too fell to the darkness.

Tis a heroic last stand fit for a bards song, but in the end it was evil that won that day.

Thank the gods for Power Word: Reload
    sarevok57
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Winning the Bandit ambush with level 1 charname and Imoen alone.
    sarevok57Permidion_Stark
    ThacoBell said:

...How?

ThacoBell said:

...How?
    Have a mage with sleep or a fighter with 18 dex and con. With the mage, I can even keep imoen alive! It still takes some luck though.
    sarevok57
    most epic moment now a days: actually finishing a full play through
    ZaramMaldovarThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
    I recently used Improved alacrity to have Nalia and my Barbarian/Mage tear Abazigal a new one.
    ThacoBellsarevok57
    Having my Blade duel Sarevok and win.
    sarevok57ZaramMaldovarRVNS
    @jmerry
    I'm still proud of myself for coming up with that on the fly. It turns out taking a detour earlier to complete Neera's sidequest ended up saving my no-reload run.
    JuliusBorisov