Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    LadyRhian said:

(...)

There is no male insult as bad as "Slut". The closest you can come is "Manslut", which is compating a man to something inherently female (slut). It's a gendered insult to begin with. The worst insult you can call a man is to compare him to being a woman. Man-whore, etc. all compare a man to being like a woman (even c-sucker is something a woman is supposed to do). The worst way to insult a man is to imply that he is acting like a woman or doing things women do. In short, insulting his manhood ("Gay" also works in this way). The worst way to insult a woman is to imply she's either loose with her "favors", takes money for them (whore) or is her sexual organ. I.e. it's the only thing she's good for.

By the way, your link was broken when I clicked on it.

Call a man "pervert" is far worse than call a woman a "slut", "slut" is just a pejorative therm to woman who have a lot of partners, "pervert" is a man who wanna sleep with a lot of woman but can't and don't have any self control.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694

LadyRhian said:

There is no male insult as bad as "Slut". The closest you can come is "Manslut", which is compating a man to something inherently female (slut). It's a gendered insult to begin with. The worst insult you can call a man is to compare him to being a woman. Man-whore, etc. all compare a man to being like a woman (even c-sucker is something a woman is supposed to do). The worst way to insult a man is to imply that he is acting like a woman or doing things women do. In short, insulting his manhood ("Gay" also works in this way). The worst way to insult a woman is to imply she's either loose with her "favors", takes money for them (whore) or is her sexual organ. I.e. it's the only thing she's good for.

This is 100% true. I myself STILL find myself (in other places) about to use the word "pussy" or "bitch" to describe a male who is showing cowardice or lack of conviction. And both insults by default portray females in a negative light, or it wouldn't even BE an insult. I know how problematic the insinuation is, yet still have to actively stop myself from saying them at times. It's incredibly ingrained.
    I was trying to think of a male gendered insult, but I could only come up with "Gigolo". But apparently, even that is based off Gigolette, a hired female dancer. I never knew that before.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    Pervert is not gender specific. And in the eyes of many it is not as bad an insult as slut anyway (with being a slut just being considered a particular form of perversion anyway). It is also much less commonly used.
    Ammar said:

Pervert is not gender specific. And in the eyes of many it is not as bad an insult as slut anyway (with being a slut just being considered a particular form of perversion anyway). It is also much less commonly used.

That will always remind me of Robert Asprin's "Myth Adventures" series. The main character of the series came from Klah, making him a "Klahd" (Clod), while the demon-like character Aazh, came from Perv, making him a Pervect (Not a Pervert, he had to keep reminding people).
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited November 2018
    If it wasn’t against the site rules, I could rattle off a bunch of male specific insults for your next profanity laced tirade, but since it is, you’ll all have to make due.

Edit: taking away a man’s masculinity is the psychological insult that is happening when referring to them as some feminine term. That doesn’t mean being feminine is negative, just means it doesn’t fit in the stereotype that society has established that a man should be for the last couple centuries.
    deltago said:

If it wasn’t against the site rules, I could rattle off a bunch of male specific insults for your next profanity laced tirade, but since it is, you’ll all have to make due.

Edit: taking away a man’s masculinity is the psychological insult that is happening when referring to them as some feminine term. That doesn’t mean being feminine is negative, just means it doesn’t fit in the stereotype that society has established that a man should be for the last couple centuries.

I should only say that, being a woman is bad in comparison to being a man, because women are seen as "Less" than males. "Man up"is a thing people say. "Woman up"? Never.

BTW, you mean insults like "Bellend" (or "Bell End"? and things of that nature?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Ammar said:

Balrog99 said:

Actually, yes. They should be allowed to serve whoever they want. It's bad business, but that's their problem, not the Government's.

It becomes an issue once all bakers in town introduce this policy. Which was not unusual for certain business in the past.

In addition, it becomes an issue if it becomes good business. Which is the case if enough non-minority people start boycotting the business for serving the minority.

So the government then should step in and force the majority to buy at that business, too? Why not have a government 'approved supplier' list then and be done with it? Nobody can buy or sell unless the government approves it. Sounds like a great system!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    deltago said:

@deltago I'm sure if you put your list in spoiler tag with a warning it's fine. @semiticgod ?
    edited November 2018
    LadyRhian said:

deltago said:

I should only say that, being a woman is bad in comparison to being a man, because women are seen as "Less" than males. "Man up"is a thing people say. "Woman up"? Never.

Not really.

It is also insulting to refer a woman as being a man. "Butch" is a good example of that. Removing the masculinity or feminity from a person makes them less than what they actually are and where the psychological impact comes from.

As for male specific insults, instead of taking away the masculinity, one can always refer to it as an abnormal and still get the desired psychological effect. "Blue balls" is probably the safest to use on this forum (even if it is the opposite of slut), a person's imagination can probably think of a couple more.

For Man Up, I am going to give you a scenario.

A giant cockroach is skittering across the floor.

A person jumps up on a chair and releases a shriek, pointing at the disgusting bug saying "kill it! kill it!"
    Another person calmly takes a shoe and smacks the guts out of the bug, while giving a stoic look to the person freaking out.

In your own head, assign a gender to both of the people in the situation and describe them. Are you more forgiving for the female for jumping up on the chair and screaming more than a male? Do you think the woman who killed the bug showed more strength than a man who killed the bug? What's playing out, is deep stereotypical roles. Man up, means being brave, being the protector. A woman's stereotypical role is someone who is compassionate, caring, nurturing. "Stop being a bitch" insult reflects someone who goes against those stereotypes.

True. In your scenario, is it bad I saw both of them as the same sex?

When I was younger (cough), about 16 or so, my parents were in their bedroom. It was fall, and Dad was removing our window Air Conditioners (one in my room, one in my parents'...) and the one he was removing was braced with a piece of wood on the bottom to cut off drafts/cool air from getting back outside.

Under the AC Unit was... a bat. A small brown(ish) bat. My mom saw it, and went screaming from the room, slamming the door behind her. My Dad saw it, went "Augh!" and ran into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

I was left behind with the bat. Looking back at it now, I kinda felt sorry for it. It had lost its nice dark place to sleep. I grabbed the piece of wood that was the brace, stuck it under the bat and literally flipped it out the window. One of its wing claws caught on the edge of the window, so I stuck the wood under that, freed it, and quickly closed the window.

Then, with a rather disgusted sigh, I said aloud, "You guys can come back in now. I handled it."

My dad opened the door, looked around and said, "What did you do?" I told him, He says, rather unconvincingly, "I was getting toilet paper so I could grab it."

"Uh-huh, sure you were, Dad."

Then, my mom came back and asked what happened, and I told her.

I wasn't disgusted at my parents for running. I was just, like, it's just a bat, you know? I was Kind of a tomboy, but not really. To me, it wasn't all that big a thing to stress over.

Later, I got a job in a 5 and Dime type store, and one cold night, someone opened the door and this HUGE rat ran into the store. I got off the floor, But I also tried to stomp it when it tried to run into my cashier's enclosure. I was surprised, but didn't scream my head off like some of the girls.

And just for the record, I *was* scared of the rat. That was probaby a foot long, including the tail, and it looked nasty. We were in the same group of stores as a grocery store, so it had probably been feeding on whatever food had gotten thrown out in the garbage cans. Even our cart guy didn't want to deal with that rat. He managed to get it out of the store with a broom and dustpan, chasing it back outside.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    LadyRhian said:

I Love America. That’s Why I Have to Tell the Truth About It

http://time.com/5455490/american-like-me/?fbclid=IwAR34pS-atIhqZAZ82L6_VFN4zKJ63BpDCGhplw4T-TLPTJQ37wKuJIqUv64

And the truth can be painful, but we as people, have to face it.
    From that article, "Many Americans consider the war to be a noble, if possibly flawed, example of American good intentions." I disagree--no Americans consider the Vietnam War to be "noble" and anyone claiming to hold that opinion is merely trolling for the laughs. I don't know about Mr. Nguyen but I *always* tell the truth about the United States--there are things in its history which should never have happened and yet, at the same time, it is probably the most successful sociopolitical experiment to date, as evidenced by the fact that so many people continue to risk their very lives to come here. Remember--the United States is a mosaic; when viewed closely it is hideous and garish as the color squares don't match, but when viewed from a distance you can see the gorgeous artwork the color squares create.

re: the FDA and e-cigs...I was more interested in the fact that vaping among middle school and high school students had risen so sharply.

LadyRhian said:

I Love America. That’s Why I Have to Tell the Truth About It

http://time.com/5455490/american-like-me/?fbclid=IwAR34pS-atIhqZAZ82L6_VFN4zKJ63BpDCGhplw4T-TLPTJQ37wKuJIqUv64

And the truth can be painful, but we as people, have to face it.
    From that article, "Many Americans consider the war to be a noble, if possibly flawed, example of American good intentions." I disagree--no Americans consider the Vietnam War to be "noble" and anyone claiming to hold that opinion is merely trolling for the laughs. I don't know about Mr. Nguyen but I *always* tell the truth about the United States--there are things in its history which should never have happened and yet, at the same time, it is probably the most successful sociopolitical experiment to date, as evidenced by the fact that so many people continue to risk their very lives to come here. Remember--the United States is a mosaic; when viewed closely it is hideous and garish as the color squares don't match, but when viewed from a distance you can see the gorgeous artwork the color squares create.

re: the FDA and e-cigs...I was more interested in the fact that vaping among middle school and high school students had risen so sharply.
    Well, among certain kids, Smoking, and now, Vaping is cool, precisely because it's shocking to see kids doing it. At least, that's what some kids I asked said. Sort of a "Peeving off the norms," kind of thing.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Ah so. People my age smoked actual cigarettes at school. If the kids these days want to weird out the norms then they should go to school as furries, when possible.
    edited November 2018
    deltago said:

LadyRhian said:

deltago said:

Not really.

It is also insulting to refer a woman as being a man. "Butch" is a good example of that. Removing the masculinity or feminity from a person makes them less than what they actually are and where the psychological impact comes from.

As for male specific insults, instead of taking away the masculinity, one can always refer to it as an abnormal and still get the desired psychological effect. "Blue balls" is probably the safest to use on this forum (even if it is the opposite of slut), a person's imagination can probably think of a couple more.

For Man Up, I am going to give you a scenario.

A giant cockroach is skittering across the floor.

A person jumps up on a chair and releases a shriek, pointing at the disgusting bug saying "kill it! kill it!"
    Another person calmly takes a shoe and smacks the guts out of the bug, while giving a stoic look to the person freaking out.

In your own head, assign a gender to both of the people in the situation and describe them. Are you more forgiving for the female for jumping up on the chair and screaming more than a male? Do you think the woman who killed the bug showed more strength than a man who killed the bug? What's playing out, is deep stereotypical roles. Man up, means being brave, being the protector. A woman's stereotypical role is someone who is compassionate, caring, nurturing. "Stop being a bitch" insult reflects someone who goes against those stereotypes.
    By the by, I'd be the stomper. I'm the one least likely to be grossed out by stuff like that. I've killed spiders and whatnot with my bare feet/toes. I have killed a really big bug, and while the sound of its carapace creaking made me make a face and go "Eeuw." i did it anyway.

I am probably not the best person to ask.

EDIT: I have also killed moths. But Luna Moths (which I have seen), make me go "Wow!" rather than "Ew!" I would probably grab it and set it free if I saw one inside my house.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    edited November 2018
    Balrog99 said:

Ammar said:

Balrog99 said:

Actually, yes. They should be allowed to serve whoever they want. It's bad business, but that's their problem, not the Government's.

It becomes an issue once all bakers in town introduce this policy. Which was not unusual for certain business in the past.

In addition, it becomes an issue if it becomes good business. Which is the case if enough non-minority people start boycotting the business for serving the minority.

So the government then should step in and force the majority to buy at that business, too? Why not have a government 'approved supplier' list then and be done with it? Nobody can buy or sell unless the government approves it. Sounds like a great system!
    This is a weird jump. I suggest regulating businesses and you equate that with individuals being forced to buy something? Please explain, because those seem like different things.

Do you think the forced desegregation in the fifties and sixties was wrong as well?

EDIT: another privilege is state-backed currency and access to a legal system.
    LadyRhian said:

When I was younger (cough), about 16 or so, my parents were in their bedroom. It was fall, and Dad was removing our window Air Conditioners (one in my room, one in my parents'...) and the one he was removing was braced with a piece of wood on the bottom to cut off drafts/cool air from getting back outside.

Under the AC Unit was... a bat. A small brown(ish) bat. My mom saw it, and went screaming from the room, slamming the door behind her. My Dad saw it, went "Augh!" and ran into the bathroom, closing the door behind him.

I was left behind with the bat. Looking back at it now, I kinda felt sorry for it. It had lost its nice dark place to sleep. I grabbed the piece of wood that was the brace, stuck it under the bat and literally flipped it out the window. One of its wing claws caught on the edge of the window, so I stuck the wood under that, freed it, and quickly closed the window.

Then, with a rather disgusted sigh, I said aloud, "You guys can come back in now. I handled it."

My dad opened the door, looked around and said, "What did you do?" I told him, He says, rather unconvincingly, "I was getting toilet paper so I could grab it."

I wasn't disgusted at my parents for running. I was just, like, it's just a bat, you know? I was Kind of a tomboy, but not really. To me, it wasn't all that big a thing to stress over.

Later, I got a job in a 5 and Dime type store, and one cold night, someone opened the door and this HUGE rat ran into the store. I got off the floor, But I also tried to stomp it when it tried to run into my cashier's enclosure. I was surprised, but didn't scream my head off like some of the girls.

And just for the record, I *was* scared of the rat. That was probaby a foot long, including the tail, and it looked nasty. We were in the same group of stores as a grocery store, so it had probably been feeding on whatever food had gotten thrown out in the garbage cans. Even our cart guy didn't want to deal with that rat. He managed to get it out of the store with a broom and dustpan, chasing it back outside.

Now here is something for you to consider/ponder, after sharing this story: Why did you have to refer to yourself as a Tom boy - a reference to a girl acting or dressing like a boy? Could a feminine trait such a princess not look at the animal say "it's just a bat?" Why did you personally have to add that in?

It'd be insulting if someone else followed up that story with "well you must have been a tom boy then," even if you were, they are portraying you and your actions around a stereotype and applying masculinity (being unafraid, being the protector) to your actions even if your actual motives (didn't want the bat to be hurt, proving your independence to your parents) were not that.
    Sigh. People never cease to disappoint me.

‘Superstar’ Megachurch Founder Caught Molesting 4-Year-Old Girl

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2017/11/superstar-megachurch-founder-caught-molesting-4-year-old-girl/?fbclid=IwAR04MUNgXg9DWfKi3RSJQvSTRTEugomKfoF0c9KhCfH-cSQ27QJQl3sgnb8
    There is nothing that makes pastors, priests or any officials of any religion any different than anyone else. They can be rapists, they can be murderers, and they can be child molesters. Don't let people tell you religious people are somehow better than the rest of us hoi polloi. They are not, and church/faith officials are NOT immune. Stories like this show this better than anything. And the real slime? Are the ones who protect them *because* they are church/faith officials.
    "Documents show that Coral Springs cops sat on the accusations for months before dropping the inquiry without even interviewing Coy. His attorneys, meanwhile, persuaded a judge with deep Republican ties to seal the ex-pastor’s divorce file to protect Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale from scrutiny."
    "I am side-eyeing this so hard" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it.

And this is no surprise at all...

Trump, top House Republican admit there's no chance of a middle class tax cut this year

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/31/politics/white-house-brady-middle-class-tax-cut/index.html?utm_content=2018-11-02T03:02:03&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNNp
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

deltago said:

@deltago I'm sure if you put your list in spoiler tag with a warning it's fine. @semiticgod ?
    Nope. We can all use our imaginations to fill in the blanks, anyway.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Ammar said:

Balrog99 said:

Ammar said:

Balrog99 said:

This is a weird jump. I suggest regulating businesses and you equate that with individuals being forced to buy something? Please explain, because those seem like different things.

Do you think the forced desegregation in the fifties and sixties was wrong as well?

EDIT: another privilege is state-backed currency and access to a legal system.
    I thought you were saying that people shouldn't be allowed to boycott businesses for the wrong reasons. Sorry if I misunderstood...
    deltago said:

LadyRhian said:

Now here is something for you to consider/ponder, after sharing this story: Why did you have to refer to yourself as a Tom boy - a reference to a girl acting or dressing like a boy? Could a feminine trait such a princess not look at the animal say "it's just a bat?" Why did you personally have to add that in?

It'd be insulting if someone else followed up that story with "well you must have been a tom boy then," even if you were, they are portraying you and your actions around a stereotype and applying masculinity (being unafraid, being the protector) to your actions even if your actual motives (didn't want the bat to be hurt, proving your independence to your parents) were not that.
    I say that because I did spend a lot of time playing with boys. There were no girls my age (or near) in the neighborhood/street I grew up on. I played baseball, rode my bike, explored a big swampy area near my house, and such. But I also loved playing with Barbies, building house(s), I say that because I think most people (or some people) would see me as a Tomboy, but I was more of a "balanced kid". i.e. I do both. And I grew up in the 70's, when I was seen as a Tomboy, and labeled as such.

I didn't spend much time playing "tea party". I would rather be digging in the dirt under our back deck, playing with my plastic dinosaurs. I also owned an EZ Bake Oven, liked cooking and baking...

One of my friends just told me I was "The perfact 70's kid". For whatever that means. :)
    Two more things. One for @deltago

Iceland's president admits he went 'too far' with threat to ban pineapple pizza

Gudni Johannesson reflects on 2017 topping scandal that divided the internet and drew a rebuke from Canada
    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-wednesday-edition-1.4904992/iceland-s-president-admits-he-went-too-far-with-threat-to-ban-pineapple-pizza-1.4905000?cmp=FB_Post_News&fbclid=IwAR1kOGsiPTWueie8IfRDPu3LYnXu6C4gw_UaPsiYlosMp151ljGleJYF1Qc

And here's something just for amazingly interesting: The last place in Venice that hand-makes Velvet fabric...
    http://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/20181113-the-last-velvet-merchant-of-venice?ocid=ww.social.link.facebook&fbclid=IwAR3Ju8UuTEXggYgaKa189eNldaJ0r9jdtCVxTkoI950r8KVdwtzdQzGMBhk
    It's hand-woven, and stunningly expensive, naturally.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    LadyRhian said:

LadyRhian said:

This is 100% true. I myself STILL find myself (in other places) about to use the word "pussy" or "bitch" to describe a male who is showing cowardice or lack of conviction. And both insults by default portray females in a negative light, or it wouldn't even BE an insult. I know how problematic the insinuation is, yet still have to actively stop myself from saying them at times. It's incredibly ingrained.
    I was trying to think of a male gendered insult, but I could only come up with "Gigolo". But apparently, even that is based off Gigolette, a hired female dancer. I never knew that before.
    Well, I got called "f--king faggot" last night for allegedly cutting someone off to get into a parking space he wanted.

LadyRhian said:

LadyRhian said:

Well, I got called "f--king faggot" last night for allegedly cutting someone off to get into a parking space he wanted.
    Right, calling your masculinity into question, like a "fruity" gay, right?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    That insult doesn't even make sense...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2018
    "millions of Americans looking forward to their tax refunds are about to be disappointed, even upset. They will not see their expected refunds when they file their returns in 2019. Even worse, many will be required to pay extra taxes. "

Why? Because the hastily passed and terribly written tax scam was in fact a scam.

"The tax law signed by President Trump in December of 2017 made many changes to the tax code. "

"Because of all these changes and many others, the withholding form that every American employee filed with his or her employer became outdated when 2018 arrived."

"Employers needed new information from employees to keep the refunds roughly the same. But getting this information would take time. And Republicans wanted American workers to see tax savings from the 2017 tax law in their paychecks right away, before the 2018 midterm elections whether these savings were real or not."

"The IRS then tried to convince Americans to do a “paycheck checkup” using its new “withholding calculator” to make sure that the employers’ withholding is not grossly off the mark.

Well-intentioned, but how realistic?"

The use of the ‘calculator’ on the IRS website through completion has been minimal because of the complexity.

ttps://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-the-tax-windfall-that-wasnt-20181101-story.html

-------------

So if you haven't adjusted your withholdings you might end up with a large tax bill and on top of that you could owe penalties to the IRS for under-withholding.

Because Republicans wanted to rely on the illusion of a tax cut for the midterms.
    The descendants of Irish people sold into slavery in the 1600s live in a close-knit community beset by poverty and ill health. (...) It was a lucrative business. An Irish white slave could be sold in Barbados for between £10 and £35. In all, more than 50,000 Irish were transported from Ireland to Barbados (more were sent to other islands in the West Indies), many of them prisoners captured by Oliver Cromwell during the wars in Ireland and Scotland and following the Monmouth Rebellion. The slaves became known as Redlegs, almost certainly a reference to the sunburn they picked up in the hot tropical sun. (...)the few hundred remaining Redlegs in Barbados, also known as the Baccra, a name they were given as they were only allowed to sit in the back row at church, stand out as anomalies in a predominantly black population, struggling for survival in a society that has no niche for them, looked down upon by both blacks and better-off whites. The Redlegs have retained a racial pride and a degree of aloofness from their black neighbors, mostly marrying within their own community.(...) Ill health, inadequate housing, little ownership of land to produce their own food, and a lack of job opportunities have locked the community into a poverty trap that has hardly improved in the last century. Poor diet and a lack of dental care have left most of the older generation with either bad teeth or no teeth at all, and young people who don’t realize that this is preventable. Illnesses and premature deaths caused by blood diseases such as haemophilia (probably as a result of inbreeding) and diabetes have had a devastating effect on the community.

Source : https://irishamerica.com/2015/10/the-irish-of-barbados-photos/

===================

if Barbados was 95%+ white and blacks are suffering the same treatment that the white tiny minority suffers. How the media will react?
    I wish there was a "Dislike" Icon, just for the information in the post. >:P That sucks for people.
    LadyRhian said:

I wish there was a "Dislike" Icon, just for the information in the post. >:P That sucks for people.

Is up to the moderation. Anyway, the problem with "dislike" is that some people confuse dislike with "i disagree"
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited November 2018
    We would have to have "Uninsightful", "Disagree", and "Dislike".

We would have to have "Uninsightful", "Disagree", and "Dislike".

At one point, we did. They were taken out because it was leading to more arguments and more trouble. Truth be told, I was thinking more of Facebook terms when I said that last night.