Skip to content

Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon: Who Are You Connected To?

semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
edited November 2018 in Off-Topic
Human connections can stretch pretty far. Directly, you might know just a few people, but indirectly, you're connected to people all across the world--and the degrees of separation can be surprisingly small even between very different people.

This thread is to post which unusual people you're indirectly connected to. The idea here isn't to brag about the people you know; it's to marvel at the breadth and weirdness of human networks. Post any indirect connections you have that sound surprising or interesting. The relationships don't have to be close; they just need to exist.

For privacy purposes, we should avoid posting direct connections without permission.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited November 2018
    For the purposes of counting degrees of separation, 0 degrees is just you, 1 degree is for your friends and acquaintances, 2 degrees would be for a friend of a friend, and so on.

I'll go first. I am:

2 steps away from Bashar al'Assad and Trent Oster

3 steps away from Neil Gaiman and Allen Ginsberg
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Isn't the idea that six gets you to any person alive?
    @FinneousPJ: Possibly, but this thread is just for closer degrees, like 2-4, which are more restricted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I am simultaneously 2 degrees away from Barack Obama, George W. Bush, and Li Keqiang.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    2 degrees from Ronald Reagan - twice, through unrelated connections; and 2 degrees from George H.W. Bush. This is really strange as I don't come from money or a connected family. Just bizarre, random weirdness.
    edited November 2018
    2 Degrees from Ted Turner and half of the 90's line-up of the Kansas City Chiefs.

*EDIT*

Wait, if I personally know the person, that's one degree, right?
    @ThacoBell: If you know someone personally, that's 1 degree, or 1 step.

Also, it turns out I'm 3 steps away from Greg Abbott (governor of Texas), Ted Cruz (Texas senator), and Beto O'Rourke (failed challenger to Ted Cruz).

I'm also within 2 steps of several convicted felons.
    I don't know for certain, but my dog might be 3 steps away from Pierce Brosnan.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited November 2018
    Two steps from Putin.
    @semiticgod Ah, thanks. I've done it right then.
    Ardanis said:

Two steps from Putin.

Wow! Apparently I'm only four steps from Donald Trump. :wink:
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I am three steps from Nobel-laureate biologist Peter Medawar.

I am also three steps from Judi Barrett, the author of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694

Ardanis said:

Two steps from Putin.

Wow! Apparently I'm only four steps from Donald Trump. :wink:
    Me also. Because I knew someone who worked in his NYC Hotel.
    I am 1 degree away from Shogo Kuniba, though I was an infant at the time and thus have no memory of it. But 2 degrees away thanks to my dad.
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    2 degrees from Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and at least half of Hollywood. :)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited January 2019
    Two degrees from the current US vice president (I met him when I was tutoring his cousin in high school and later when a friend worked at the same radio station; neither of us are overly proud of this). One degree from a Nobel Prize winner in physics. One from four different people on NASA's New Horizons project. Two from Buddy Guy. One from Chuck Berry. Three from John Mellencamp. Two degrees from several Indianapolis 500 winners and three Formula 1 champions. Four from Kurt Vonnegut. Also, a direct descendent from about half of the people from Virginia who signed the Declaration of Independence.

And I just realized that I haven't done sh*t with my life and will now proceed to drink the rest of it away. Mostly with French roast.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    I'm 3 degrees from the pro wrestler Antonio Cesaro. Basically have a good Swiss friend who is friends with one of the guys who tagged with him early in his career.

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    2 steps from the entire metal scene in Gothenburg and abroad via a 'rock star' friend, but that's it.

I guess my network is a bland and void reflection of my current social life.
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    Skatan said:

2 steps from the entire metal scene in Gothenburg and abroad via a 'rock star' friend, but that's it.

I guess my network is a bland and void reflection of my current social life.

If it makes you feel better, the only reason I have so many in the 2 degree category is because of work. If we went only by social life, I'd be about as far as you can get from anyone! :)
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Well... The deacon at my church, a colleague and friend of mine, once had Joel Hodgson's brother as a roommate. Joel himself even came to one of my deacon's parties once. My deacon says it is a big bragging point for him.

For those who don't know, Joel Hodgson is a prop comic who is famous for creating the Mystery Science Theater 3000 series.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I know (and have met) Ken Gale and Mercy Van Vlack of comics fame. I even stayed over at their house at a few Beyond the Cons when I was in my 20's.

I am Facebook friends with Colleen Doran and John Wesley Shipp. I met Issac Asimov ar more than a few cons. And I ran into someone who was friends with Danny John Jules (plays "The Cat" on Red Dwarf) whe I lived in Florda.

When I was much younger, I sent a birthday card to Alec Guinness and got a "Thank You" card from him, on his own personalized stationery.

If I have to list every star I've met at conventions, I'd run out of room. I'll just list a few here, Paul Marco, who played "Kelso the Cop". Terry Nation. Jon Pertwee, Louise Jameson, Walter Koenig (Chekov on "Star Trek"), Caroline Munro (Stella Starr from "Starcrash"), Larry Mahlstedt (comics artist), Jim Lee (also of comics). And so many ore. I have a book of autographs from all of them.
    edited January 2019
    I'm also three steps from Jean-Claude Van Damme (my schoolmate's mom met him).

My connection to Putin is via my school nurse, who's been in the same class as him.
    @Tresset That is the single most impressive example for me personally on this forum. Joel Hodgeson is a LEGEND.

Funnily enough, I've personally met Bruce Willis' youth model. The guy whose picture they use whenever a movie needs a picture of a younger version of a character played by Bruce Willis.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    ThacoBell said:

Funnily enough, I've personally met Bruce Willis' youth model. The guy whose picture they use whenever a movie needs a picture of a younger version of a character played by Bruce Willis.

I just gotta ask, can I see a pic?

edited April 2019
    semiticgod wrote: »
    And now my other dog is 3 steps away from Stevie Ray Vaughan!
    Skatan wrote: »

I just gotta ask, can I see a pic?

Of me and him? Sadly no, he charged for pictures.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Well, if Comic-Cons count, I've personally met Sergio Arogones of Mad Magazine and Groo fame, and Mike Grell best known for DC Comics Warlord. Both were very personable, humble and a privilege to meet in person.
    I can only imagine what it feels like when your dogs are cooler than you :D
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Ardanis wrote: »
    I can only imagine what it feels like when your dogs are cooler than you :D

Dogs are always cooler than their owners.