Skip to content

If you could change one thing about the Baldurs Gate games....

Comments

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited November 2017
    More wild surge effects! I want to see the world twist and turn around me and sometimes out of my control.
    Dev6ThacoBell[Deleted User]Sanctifer
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Grum said:

Hexaat.

I'd remove Hexxat completely.
    I like all the other new NPCs but Hexxat pisses me the hell off. If I had an option to keep Clara and kill Hexxat I would.
    GrumkillerrabbitMortianna
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    I have yet to play BG2EE, so I don't know how Hexxat would compare to other vampire NPC mods in the past, like Valen or Miriam.

What I would change would be to remove the mandatory 2 points in dual-wielding proficiency for rangers. It is so overpowered and totally not in the PnP.
    I think it was a tribute to Drizzt, as way too many players would try to roleplay him.
    Dev6
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Pantalion said:

Redrake said:

I have yet to play BG2EE, so I don't know how Hexxat would compare to other vampire NPC mods in the past, like Valen or Miriam.

What I would change would be to remove the mandatory 2 points in dual-wielding proficiency for rangers. It is so overpowered and totally not in the PnP.
    I think it was a tribute to Drizzt, as way too many players would try to roleplay him.

To better fit PnP rules, Rangers should not only start with all three pips in Two Weapon Fighting Style, but gain an inherent +0/+2 to hit for two weapon fighting while wearing studded leather or lighter (on top of standard Two-Weapon Fighting bonuses), giving them no penalties to TWF fighting at all.

Meanwhile if they wear any armour heavier than Studded Leather, they suffer a -4/-6 to hit while two weapon fighting instead, the same penalties as someone without any proficiencies.
    My full-plate-wearing dual-mace-wielding Cleric/Ranger doesn't like your idea. ;P
    ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrkillerrabbitMortianna
  • ArnebArneb Member Posts: 14
    Pantalion said:

Redrake said:

To better fit PnP rules, Rangers should not only start with all three pips in Two Weapon Fighting Style, but gain an inherent +0/+2 to hit for two weapon fighting while wearing studded leather or lighter (on top of standard Two-Weapon Fighting bonuses), giving them no penalties to TWF fighting at all.

Meanwhile if they wear any armour heavier than Studded Leather, they suffer a -4/-6 to hit while two weapon fighting instead, the same penalties as someone without any proficiencies.
    Well, that would be true, but only if the weapon in the offhand is smaller than the one in the main hand :)

Balrog99Mortianna
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    edited November 2017
    Arneb said:

Zilber said:

Make it use Ars Magica or 3rd edition dnd instead of second.

Well, I'd love to play a computer game with Ars Magica magic system. But I think spontaneous casting (not sure how it was called) would be difficult to implement.

Not all that difficult, it's just a longer list than the spells you know. You could alternatively easily simplify it to Art+Form+(one of say four flavours) in choices.

For instance "Creo Ignem Light" and you'd make the most light your spell could make at the range of the target you point at, with predefined duration for each flavour, ie fire momentary, light diameter etc.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Turn based.
    killerrabbitShadowdemon
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    I usually play mages but the stronghold is my least favorite. I'd change the entire stronghold -- get rid of the "kill your apprentices for stuff" mechanic and replace the steampunk art with something more BG1 like.
    MortiannadunbarRaduziel
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Grum said:

Hexaat.

She isn't a vampire. She is nothing like any vampire you meet in the game.

(1) I'd change her from being a vampire to being a shadow.

Changing her to a shade would be more appropriate for an adventuring NPC, since shadows are weightless, incorporeal, and are always chaotic evil.
  • lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76
    Micro managing items, potions, gems, ammo, identifications, blah blah blah...
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    therdre said:

tbone1 said:

One of two things for BG1: don’t show every melee fighter as left-handed

Just let us lefties have one win
    You are disproportionately likely to become president of the US, are paid about 10% more in sports (with rare position exceptions), and are proportionally more likely to get a recording contract. So you owe us ror all the politics you inflict on us.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Keep politics in the politics thread.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    No worries, i’m just against politics and politicians in general.
    profanitywarningUnderstandMouseMagic
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'd make the happy patch an in game toggle.
    Balrog99
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 452
    Dev6 said:

Grum said:

Hexaat.

I like all the other new NPCs but Hexxat pisses me the hell off. If I had an option to keep Clara and kill Hexxat I would.
    There's a mod for that now. Clara starts as a level 3 Shadowdancer.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71473/playable-clara-all-things-mazzy-version-1-038-tob-eet/p1
    Raduzielmegamike15
  • WormkingWormking Member Posts: 60
    I will add more choices and consequences
    megamike15Raduziel
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    BCaesar said:

Dev6 said:

Grum said:

Hexaat.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71473/playable-clara-all-things-mazzy-version-1-038-tob-eet/p1
    but does clara have banters and interjections yet. i'd rather not use her if she is silent.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I would drastically reduce the amount of magical gear you find - especially in ToB.
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 452

BCaesar said:

Dev6 said:

Grum said:

Hexaat.

but does clara have banters and interjections yet. i'd rather not use her if she is silent.
    No banters yet, some interjections. A few conversations with the PC and other NPC's. We're adding more as we go.
    Zaghoul
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Give more options to fighters before hla.
    StummvonBordwehrkanisathaBlackraven
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    MOAR CLASSES!
    semiticgoddessZaghoul
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    There should be a $5 charge for starting a new Charname before finishing ToB. That way I either have to stop succumbing to restartitis or line Beamdog's coffers...
    ZaghoulArtonaSkatanmegamike15
  • SteveRogers41SteveRogers41 Member Posts: 33
    I'd add another possible outcome to Anomen's side-quest, so that choosing revenge doesn't result in the murder of an innocent woman. 
    semiticgoddessRedRodent
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    edited February 2019
    The end villain of ToB to be expanded a bit. She kinda comes out of left field and isn't super well characterized before you fight her. Compared to Sarevok and Irenicus, she's kind of a poor antagonist to end the series on.
    Post edited by AWizardDidIt on
    ZaghoulThacoBell
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    More and better quest resolutions for evildoers.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Make good companions less compatible with evil ones. The idea that any good aligned character would work with Hexxat is ridiculous. Have a lore, int, or wis, check for good characters in a party with Dorn. If its high enough, they know what a Blackguard is and would have nothing to do with him. A lot of them would be disturbed by how bloodthirsty Kirgan is, etc. For that matter, good characters should not tolerate killing of innocnets, no matter how well reputation is managed.

On the flipside, make evil companions more compatible with good characters. They shouldn't care (barring specific characters) if they have a high rep, so long as they are protected from consequences, get gold, etc. they shouldn't care.
    IseweinsemiticgoddessBelgarathMTHRedRodent