Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    anastiel said:

wildfire said:

Can Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced edition be made without source code?

Then just remake it in Unreal. B)B)
    anastiel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714

Raduziel said:

stop giving us things that we didn't ask for and start giving us things we do ask for?

How to define whether something is not asked for and by whom.
    Checking this forum is a good start.

ThacoBellKamigoroshiTimbo0o0o0Vseslav
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    Beyond support for the current Enhanced Editions, will Beamdog continue to work with Wizards of the Coast and the Dungeons & Dragons license?
    Torgrimmeranastielkanisathalolien
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    edited January 2019
    Dorcus said:

Beyond support for the current Enhanced Editions, will Beamdog continue to work with Wizards of the Coast and the Dungeons & Dragons license?

Or will/and is Beamdog looking at other licenses to continue their work with/in to maximize profit sharing to bring in more revenue for the company to possibly go Public someday like EA or Activision?
    Post edited by Torgrimmer on
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    Dorcus said:

my biggest fear is about the license, this is something that makes me worried because I have no idea how is the contact with the companies Atari and Wizards of the Coast, I would like to see new Baldur's Gate with a story continuing the 2 game, if possible I wanted very much to see beamdog and obsidian working in this game together, because we would see something wonderful.

I'm excited for this new game, there are many possibilities

Even a new Planescape, I've been seeing some things and I found interesting the next footprint in the universe D&D will be at the same level of PoE history and this makes me very happy, now it's wait and see.

I wish the entire development team a great job, as they will always bring the best material in the area of CRPG games Thanks Beamdog.

wildfire said:

anastiel said:

wildfire said:

Then just remake it in Unreal. B)B)
    https://kotaku.com/nobody-can-find-the-source-code-for-icewind-dale-ii-1796724450

“We’ve searched all the archives we have access to, including all the data handed over to Wizards of the Coast from Atari and there is no source code for Icewind Dale II,” Oster told me in an e-mail. “We’ve reached out to our friends at Obsidian, as many of them were the development staff behind Icewind Dale II, and they do not have any source code. We’re stalled on the project without source and the project won’t move forward until we can find it. We’ve naturally moved on to other things until there is a change in the situation.”

an interesting subject about this type of technique

To build a new Baldur's Gate, Beamdog had to reverse-engineer the original in SoD

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/269510/To_build_a_new_Baldurs_Gate_Beamdog_had_to_reverseengineer_the_original.php

" All of the Baldur’s Gate original assets like the 3D models that make up these sprites, the 3D models for the levels in the original game, these archives were lost. There was a data tape in some guy’s garage, and it flooded, and it was gone. There goes the history of Baldur’s Gate."

• enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    When you restore cut content or add new content to an Enhanced Edition game, do you guys consult the original writers and designers of the game to make sure everything is canon and according to the original vision, or do you guys just go your own way with it?
    anastielTorgrimmerVseslav
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    Any hopes of seeing the legendary mister Chris Avellone write and/or design a game for you when you guys eventually make a new and original title?
    AedanTorgrimmerVseslav
  • EvilkissEvilkiss Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 96
    When a new UI for Translation Tool will be announced? Almost half year was gone, when you inform that you are thinking to upgrade it. Is any one working on it?

August 10, 2018:

"We’re thinking on how to improve the translating tool for the Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions. We’re also working on adding Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition to the translating tool."

August 24, 2018:

"Improving the Translation Tool for our games is on our to-do list."
    anastielAedanlolien
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    In the last stream Trent said he'd like to make a NWN module using the Toolset, but can't promise anything.

Give it to me straight, doc. Is it happening or no? I can't take the suspense.
    Torgrimmeranastiel
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Well, you know the saying: Hope is the first thing to die.

Also, what and when (if at all) will Beamdog release newly enhanced NwN models over at their Steam Workshop? It's been half a year since anything was uploaded there by the Beam Staff after all.
    WarChiefZekeTorgrimmeranastiel
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286

Also, what and when (if at all) will Beamdog release newly enhanced NwN models over at their Steam Workshop? It's been half a year since anything was uploaded there by the Beam Staff after all.
    I believe they put that on hold due to the work on the new renderer.

Torgrimmer
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited January 2019

I believe they put that on hold due to the work on the new renderer.
    Thing is game renderers are fairly easy and a fast thing to do, relatively speaking. Especially if Beamdog would integrate it via an official ENB or SweetFX. Even amateurs can set up their very own renderer within 10 minutes. Cleary not a thing which should require half a year of continious work.

Replacing every single NwN1 3D model, like Beamdog aspired NwN:EE to look post-launch, however is nothing short of a fulltime job. What worries me is that with the current pace this process takes far too much time to complete.

In fact, it would take literally decades if all Beamdog releases is 9 enhanced models per year or so. Worst case scenario is that Beamdog gives up on visually enhancing NwN:EE altogether precicely because the project of enhancing all assets turns out to be a scope creep over the years to come.
    Flashburn
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    They should just enhance player models and call it a night.

Then release premium modules or campaigns.

I can't buy EE as it stands now. I'm sorry.
    KamigoroshiAedan
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I’m actually pretty stoked now :) very good news!
    JuliusBorisovAerakarTimbo0o0o0Oxva
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    anastiel said:

wildfire said:

ow this hurts
    Adul
    I recommend that you buy the game in gog
    https://www.gog.com/game/icewind_dale_2
    the EE version will take a while to believe that in the future it may happen but let's be realistic, beamdog working on a new game that is important for players.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    When is Axis and Allies going to be announced and released?
    Aerakar
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Skatan said:

Would it be possible to gather up great mods created by the community, 'enhance' it to a refined, simpler form and put them into Mod Content Pack DLCs to be released for dummies like me who like new content but are too lazy (stupid) to manage mods? These mod packs could then be sold via Steam, GOG etc and owned, governed and controlled by you, though the Author/Creator get good exposure and some gold to boot.

My suggestions is to do this and credit the author and give them XY% of the revenue, thus enabling more content with minimal work from the internal teams. If this is legally possible I mean. I know nothing of content clauses that might exist to block this, but it seem to have worked for NVN right?

Cheers.

@Skatan This will never happen. The major reason is that mods don't belong to Beamdog, but to the people that made them. Beamdog can't just put mods into their games without specific permission from the modmakers. And remember how this game is twenty years old? Good luck on finding most of those modmakers! The majority of content mods are being caretaken by someone else nowadays.

Also, mods, being free products, can get away with using images and sounds that are sorta snapped off the interenet. An official release could not. They'd have to spend quite a bit of work making new media for the mods.

Finally, what's to say which mods should go in. There's a distinct difference of quality from one mod to another. Sure, you could revise them all to be on par in quality to one another, but that's a whole lot of work, and it would mean you'd need to have a lot more contact with the original mod creators, which is just gonna be a pain.

Overall, it would be a lot less hassle to work on a project of their own design, say a BG2 DLC that wraps up any of their content from BG1. Perhaps @ThacoBell could give a suggestion of what that could contain.

For NWN it kinda worked because there the modules stand on themselves, whereas IE mods alter the existing game. In IE games, everyone plays the Original Campaign, because it's basically the only thing there. In NWN, Modules tend to be their own thing. So it works better there, but even then, that was a one time deal.

However, it's really not that hard installing a couple of mods. And if you ask for help, there's plenty of people willing to give you pointers!
    modestvoltaThacoBell
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    edited January 2019
    Here's a a question: since Trent has basically shot down a BGII expansion as a possibility, how about smaller DLCs for it that add SoD characters one by one? This way characters can still get added but a full expansion won't be needed. Plus things like a shaman stronghold could be added as standalone DLC.

Also, how about achievements for NWN premium modules (and the Black Pits)?

Also, also, what about a Trello board for the IE games? It would be nice to track requests and things that are being worked on.

And last one, how about Steam workshop for the IE games? There seems to be a good amount of mods for them.
    anastielAedanVseslav
    Caution is needed to analyze this

BG2:EE DLC SPOILER

BG:EE DLC SPOILER

IWD:EE DLC SPOILER

NWN:EE DLC SPOILER

lefreutgugulug5000ThacoBell
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    My question for you: when are we seeing the Premium Modules unlocked for the toolset?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @anastiel ^^^ Above are most likely the voice and portrait packs.
    anastielAaeight_Luke_lolien
  • HumizHumiz Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2019
    I have just 2 questions:

1: 2.6 ETA

2: ETA Achivements for NWN:EE Steam

Thanks
    Humiz
    Post edited by Humiz on
    Aaeight