Skip to content

NWN Toolset: Enhanced Edition. Try the new updates and share your feedback

virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
edited March 2020 in General Discussions NWN:EE
Hello, friends!

We’ve been substantially updating the Neverwinter Nights Toolset, and want you to test our newest build.
We’re uploading an out-of-band update for the Toolset so that content creators could test it without having to wait for a patch (which will take a while with the work on the renderer and 64-bit integration).
Grab the new Toolset build, test it, and share your feedback in this thread.

All the changes from this thread have been merged into 1.79 and later updates. The binaries in this thread are outdated, please use the Toolset shipped with the game.

Changelog:

Neverwinter Nights Toolset 1.5.0.0 (8186)

This build is based on 1.78 (8186), and is compatible with the latest stable release of the game.

New Features
  • Added support for visual transforms
    • The new options are available in Adjust Location dialog
    • You can use Ctrl+Mousewheel to quickly scale objects
    • Visual transforms currently only work on creatures, items, doors and non-static placeables
  • Added support for opening multiple areas in tabs
    • Tabs are disabled by default. To enable them, go to Toolset settings -> Area editor -> Open areas in tabs, then restart the Toolset.
    • To close a tab, right-click on the tab and choose 'Close' in the context menu.
  • Inventory editor improvements - added key bindings:
    • Move selection with arrow keys
    • Set Infinite flag with 'I' key
    • Delete items with 'Delete' key
    • After deleting, it now switches to the next item in the list

Fixes
  • A memory leak that was observed when switching between areas has finally been fixed
  • Test Module now correctly passes -userdirectory to the game when launching it

Optimizations
  • Significantly optimized Build Module and Update Instances, as well as some minor operations like expanding an area that is not currently open

Changes
  • The Toolset is now built using a newer version of the C++ compiler. We have fixed most of the bugs caused by this change, but there might be a few regressions. If you see any issues that did not exist in the Toolset shipped with 1.78, please help us fix them by filing a ticket at https://support.baldursgate.com

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Ambient sound/music toggles appear to not work properly with tabbed areas

ISSUES FIXED IN NEW BUILDS:
FEATURE REQUESTS:
  • Retain transforms on copy&paste
  • Store transforms on object blueprints, edit transforms from object properties dialogs

Thanks to Bill Harper for testing these new features and spending countless hours looking for bugs!

LINK to the VIDEO illustrating a few new features: https://www.facebook.com/Beamdog/videos/2319128681662635/
Post edited by virusman on
JuliusBorisovnivDazShadowMRifleLeroyDoubledimasDrakonFlashburnNeverwinterWightsBalanorRik_Kirtaniyahook71TarotRedhandgugulug5000ZwerkulesJFKPrince_RaymondSnottlingjackjackTalimeSylvus_MoonbowdunahanVictorixxxthemazingnessOldTimeRadio

Comments

• TarashonTarashon Member Posts: 18
    This is most wonderful news ! :)

Would it, pretty please with sugar on top, be possible to add the scaling option to creatures right in the toolset so that we fx may have custom created giants etc to spawn in etc etc ?

Kind regards.

/Tarashon of the Alangara Rising PW
    dunahanTovan0Mackelly
  • fetito666fetito666 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 204
    Can I just change the Steam settings for NW:N to "beta" and it will give me the latest unstable patch automatically?
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    fetito666 wrote: »
    Can I just change the Steam settings for NW:N to "beta" and it will give me the latest unstable patch automatically?

Doubtful. Not part of the main exe.
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2019
    Could be the valid successor of nwntx...btw a minor bug with adjust location . By clicking on one of the arrows that increase / decrease the value of the X, Y, Z axes, the value will not change properly.

e.g: right click on a plc ---> adjust location ---> +1 on Z axis it could happend that the value will decrease,instead of increase as it should be.
    Or try +1 on Z axis shortly after -1 to Z axis, the vaule will increase the same.

Still an issue with the preview window as in the standard toolset.
    dunahan
  • horredtheplaguehorredtheplague Member, Developer Posts: 186
    We're aware of the arrow key issue, and currently working on it, but didn't want to hold up the release over it. We'll get it taken care of. To work around it for now, just click a couple extra times and you'll get where you need to eventually.
    JuliusBorisovdunahan
  • SquidgetSquidget Member Posts: 15
    This is amazing so far! Thank you guys for this!

A couple of small things I've noticed (will add any extras that I find):

-Tab order on the new Adjust Location window isn't quite right. It goes Y > X > Z rotate, while the order of the fields is X > Y > Z.

-Copy/pasting an object doesn't copy the objects scaling or rotations.

-If I scale up a non-static placeable, then change it to static, the scaling remains, at least visually in the toolset. It should probably be removed when this happens.

Again, amazing stuff! I'm excited to build or rebuild some areas with these new features!
    dunahanvirusman
  • IvanZecatIvanZecat Member Posts: 2
    Any tips for the toolset no longer responding every time I open an area? I've tried a fresh install of drivers (Nividia Geforce GTX 1060) and this has not resolved the issue. It's been affecting me for weeks now.
    dunahan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited April 2019
    IvanZecat wrote: »
    Any tips for the toolset no longer responding every time I open an area? I've tried a fresh install of drivers (Nividia Geforce GTX 1060) and this has not resolved the issue. It's been affecting me for weeks now.

Try to use an older driver, eg. the one from February.
    dunahan
  • IvanZecatIvanZecat Member Posts: 2
    As it turns out, turning off Threaded Optimization fixed this issue. I missed that potential solution before, thanks for the quick reply.
    dunahanJuliusBorisov
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited April 2019
    OK first problem. No instructions on where this is supposed to go. I assumed it is meant to go in the EE folder. Doing so would have overwritten the original toolset so I added a lower case b to the front of the filename before doing so.

Second problem. Trying to open a module created with old toolset before Christmas last year results in the new toolset saying that the module was created with a newer version of the toolset please update your game. It appears that all the modules that I made by opening the toolset via the bd client have this problem. The modules that I edited by directly clicking the toolset.exe do not have this problem.

[edit]

It appears to be that the second problem is caused by my being on the development branch. You know the onw where you test out new features and find bugs, post comments, etc... So why didn't you make this a patch for the development branch? Last one was last December

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
    dunahananastiel
    Annoying little bug. When you load an area into the toolset the ambient sounds play but the button to make them play is not depressed. Pressing another sound button makes the ambient sound button to also depress at this point when you can then click on it to quiet the ambient sounds.

TR
    dunahananastiel
  • CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 273
    The Toolset is now built using a newer version of the C++ compiler
    This is encouraging news, thanks! and of course it's great to see the new toolset features too. Can you tell use what other toolset features are being worked on?
    anastiel
    edited April 2019
    Although I had hoped for a more modern appearance what I have seen so far is a good start. However I really do hope that both the script editor and the conversation editor will become part of the tabbing scheme in the future. That would aid in making passing stuff between them and the rest of the toolset so much easier.

While not holding my breath... a(n optional?) ribbon interface would be really nice too.

One little question. Re. the tabs. Why do we need to right click each one to be able to close them? Why not a red x close button on them like most other programs that use tabs.

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
    dunahananastiel
  • keepersofthe7thkeepersofthe7th Member Posts: 1
    Toolset works somewhat better and load times are faster . Npcs however have a few issues . Mainly when you change their monster spell abilities and spells . It is broken . So far it seems to just be the monster special abilities and spells boxes .
    dunahanTalime
  • TalimeTalime Member Posts: 71
    Bugreport:
    Since there have been a discussion in discord, i encountered the issue aswell:

At some point, for no appearent reason, copy/pasting stopts to work completely. Only fix is to restart the toolset.
    I was not yet able to recreate why it happens and when but it happened after I scaled some placeables.

So there deffinately is a bug with that behaviour.
    dunahanvirusman
  • SquidgetSquidget Member Posts: 15
    Attempting to change an NPC's skills causes the skill box to change into another language, at which point skills can no longer be edited. My steps:

1. Edit Copy an existing undead NPC.
    2. Go to the skills tab and attempt to change any skill.

Result: Instead of updating the skills, I get something that looks like this:
    https://gyazo.com/7ade1bd6d180180fb5da89c4a0b683cf
    virusmandunahananastiel
  • TemplarDrakeTemplarDrake Member Posts: 44
    Tried it and loving it already. The tabs are amazing and the scaling is bad ass.

If this is a taste of whats to come well then I can't wait!

- Drake
    Talime
  • jimdad55jimdad55 Member Posts: 75
    Think I've spotted a little bug. Posted on the Vault but probably makes more sense here.

When you create a new area, if you rename it immediately the name on the Tab appears as well. However, if you leave it then try to use “Rename” later it doesn’t seem to change the name on the tab. Also, when reopening a module with two or three areas the tabs don’t all open automatically. They only appear after you have viewed that area in “View Area”. Small point but maybe worth mentioning.
    TarotRedhanddunahan
  • Ugly_DuckUgly_Duck Member Posts: 179
    That re-sizing feature is bloody cool! After using NWN2 toolset, I've always wanted it in NWN1. Thanks!
  • RananRanan Member Posts: 34
    Squidget wrote: »
    Attempting to change an NPC's skills causes the skill box to change into another language, at which point skills can no longer be edited. My steps:

1. Edit Copy an existing undead NPC.
    2. Go to the skills tab and attempt to change any skill.

Result: Instead of updating the skills, I get something that looks like this:
    https://gyazo.com/7ade1bd6d180180fb5da89c4a0b683cf

I am also having this issue, anytime I change skills in the toolset it gives me foreign characters and doesn't seem to keep the new value I type in
    dunahan
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    edited April 2019
    Giant Sized Greatswords are a go with negatives to AB and increased damage !, alongside shortswords with increased size named "Hinnish Longsword". Now if only we could adjust their visual transformation for items being sold from a store :(

I mean, i could make it work with scripting, probably an on acquire or equip script that checks for a variable and clears the variable after transform has been done, buuut it'd seem soooo much nicer/cleaner/professional looking if it was just in the toolset.
    dunahan
  • Grizzled_DwarflordGrizzled_Dwarflord Member Posts: 168
    This is a great beginning. Looking forward to more. Thank you guys!
  • The_WretchedThe_Wretched Member Posts: 3
    FEATURE REQUEST
    Instead of crashing, or refusing to let the user change the tile, or printing "index out of bounds" and locking up the area... put an X tile (like an X item in your inventory) where the tiles are invalid so you can switch between tilesets in the module
  • sandronejmsandronejm Member Posts: 70
    edited April 2019
    Loved all the features!
    I am in troubles with the new toolset, it can't copy and paste triggers, encounters and waypoints. It is really important to me once the 1.69 toolset was doing that properly.
    Post edited by sandronejm on
  • mrtwondermrtwonder Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2019
    I am on the old Toolset almost everyday, thank you so much for your time on this!
  • HimmelweissHimmelweiss Member Posts: 72
    edited April 2019
    Yup, toolset is now crashing all over the place with the latest nvidia drivers.
    Still using the old toolset not this new one here.

I guess there is no workarround to fix it currently other than rolling back to older drivers?

nm, turning off Threaded Optimization for the toolset did the trick.
  • ModderpunkModderpunk Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2019
    I love the scaling but when i just tried it I could use it once and then the whole feature was gone

Restarting the toolset did not help. After using scaling once it is gone
    Post edited by Modderpunk on