Skip to content

Is it realistic

that if I was playing a chaotic good character, entering houses in baldur's gate city (because you know, most of the content of the city is behind closed doors that you have to unlock) a paladin (member of the party) would tolerate the party entering these houses and maybe working with the evil npcs? Just working, not necessarily joining them (e.g doing the quest for the harper that is in front of the mage of sorceror sundries)

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    To make it short, on one hand being lawful good doesn't mean 50% lawful/ 50% good ,not to mention that alignment doesn't necessarily mean personality. On the other Paladinhood in general is a strict code of Ethics, a divine one to be more precise.

Actually I think Ive just made it more complicated,but that's how it is xD
    ThacoBellArvia
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    A Paladin, "realistically" speaking, would never allow other party members to force themselves into other people's houses to steal from them.
    Arvia
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I was planning to bring Ajantis with me, and I'm thinking that I should just overlook the fact that all these doors are closed.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Unluckily, from all these topic one answer emerges. You are not going to steal if you wish to roleplay correctly. And not only that, but not even a neutral good would steal.

MMMM... now I gotta think how I would justify imoen compulsively opening all the locks and doors just to hone his skills.
    ArviaBelgarathMTH
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You could justify it on the grounds that the paladin was not a witness to the crime. Say, you could assume that the paladin would be away doing holy paladin stuff or polishing their shiny armor while the rest of the party was busily committing property crimes.
    ArviaArthasJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Arvia
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    @Arthas , if you're playing chaotic good and have Ajantis in your party, you can probably pretend to send him somewhere while Imoen is stealing.
    Technically, you can find a roleplaying excuse for everything.

If you're playing lawful good yourself, I don't think there's any justification to steal or enter loocked buildings, unless you have a serious reason to suspect a crime there.

Also, if you have Ajantis with you, you would have to roleplay that he's quite stupid not to notice where all the shiny new stuff has come from...

The fact that you're asking these questions tells me that you already know your own answer. You wouldn't ask if you really thought it was okay.

If you really want to know what you're missing behind those locked doors, you can do it this time with your alignment, and during another run you can see if you prefer the other roleplaying choices.
    If you're just worried about missing important content, I don't think there's any of that in unmarked, locked buildings where nobody ever gives you a reason to enter.
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHThacoBell
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    In certain cases it may be reasonable for your characters to enter locked houses in order to return items / complete quests. An example might be finding Nester's dagger. Just roleplay that your characters notice that it's got some distinctive markings, ask a commoner about where the owner might be from, and then knock on the door :).
    I also pretend to knock and enter buildings if I'm searching to return something.
    But not the doors where I need to pick the lock.
    If the quest forces me to break into a house to return something, it's a stupid quest, in my opinion.

And if I enter a house and see it's not the right one, I wouldn't even think about looking into their chests and cupboards. I leave, and that's it.

@Arthas , I think you have to ask yourself what is most important for you. Roleplaying your character and your team, or maximum loot and XP and every item. Once you've made that decision, you can play the game accordingly. Of course you can "miss" quests if you don't break into houses or steal, but that doesn't mean you can't finish the game.
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHsemiticgoddess
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    If you describe your character just as CG, you are not really roleplaying.
    The character should have an actual personality. Only when you are trying to figure out what that personality is, can anyone answer your question.
    CG could do anything because CG is just an alignment.
    @BelgarathMTH Are you talking about the Unseeing Eye cult in BG2? If you return to that location after doing the quest, the head priest guy and the guards attack you.
    Ardul
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @ThacoBell , I was thinking of the guarded compound in the temple district. I'm probably not remembering it exactly right. Apparently, Nalia's quest sends you there eventually if you're using Nalia.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/25017/is-the-guarded-compound-now-quest-related
    ThacoBell
    @BelgarathMTH Ah! That's the headquarters of the slavers in athkatla. Those are the rich guys that are in charge of the whole shebang (plus their guards). It WAS going to be a quest, but that got cut. No existing quest leads you there.
    BelgarathMTH
    edited May 2019
    @BelgarathMTH , @ThacoBell , I remember finding a note somewhere that vaguely leads you to "a house in the government district". But that was certainly during my last BG2EE run, I don't remember if it had happened before, so it might have been the Keldorn mod, because it involves a quest with slavers and his former best friend.

Edit: And I always had Nalia with me, so maybe it was because of her quest.
    Post edited by Arvia on
    There is no note leading to the Slave Lords compund in the unmodded game. Whether through Nalia's quest or any other's.
    Arvia
    Then it's probably the Keldorn mod. Or my imagination. I'll pay closer attention next time when I'm in Athkatla.