Skip to content

Eve of War [Abandoned]

Comments

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Will this be compatible with non-ee edition?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Arthas said:

@Arthas No, it's impossible to do because EE-only Opcodes.
    elminster
    k thanks for help.
    lolien
    When it will be out the choice between the original and this one is between choosing to go for Vlad's mod or this one.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2018
    Arthas said:

Nope. EE only opcodes and probably other limitations as well mean this will be for the EE only (and only the latest version).
    Arthas said:

When it will be out

Like I said last page no timelines at this point. I'm not good at them and this year I have a bunch of new commitments that mean my time to work on this is severely lessoned. I'll probably get a few days of work done on it during this winter break, but that won't be enough to see it finished. Midway through January I'm back at it with school. If I decide to then do my masters that is then another year where it's going to be in school (while also working)...so realistically even just releasing everything I've gotten started it could be another year and a half before you guys see anything.
    modestvoltaFina92
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    everyone forgets most of what they've learned at school... but to create something original, to be able to look at it and say "that's something i made", that's something that follows you for the rest of your life!
    RaduzielGrammarsaladlolien
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    This looks really cool. I'll give it a test run myself once it's finished.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @elminster It's always great to see you posting in this thread. Some of those components should be added to vanilla, IMO.

One question: of the new NPC, is any of them a cleric? If so, can you tell me (here or PM) the respective deity?

Thanks.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellFina92
    Jenora is a fighter/mage/cleric of Azuth
    lolienRaduzielThacoBell
    edited May 2019
    As I mentioned earlier I've run into a big of a snag and I'm not sure what is the cause. I've narrowed it down to this line in the TP2 file.

ADD_JOURNAL @1112 @1113 @1115 @1116 @1117 @1118 @1119 @1120 @1121 @1122 @1123 @1124 @1125 @1126 @1127 @1128 USING ~k9EveOfWar\Lang\English\k9journa.tra~

If I get rid of the numbers after @1123 the game launches fine. If I don't it just hangs. These numbers correspond with the text below.

@1124=~The Council Advisors

We encounted Laspeera Inthré and managed to scare her off. Hopefully Baskor Tranth will now agree to follow through with our earlier request of him.~

@1125=~The Council Advisors

We weren't able to convince Laspeera Inthré to leave and instead killed her. Hopefully something good can come from this slaughter. Baskor Tranth will no doubt want to learn of this news.~

@1126=~The Council Advisors

We chose not to convince Laspeera Inthré to leave and instead killed her. Baskor Tranth will no doubt want to learn of this news.~

@1127=~The Council Advisors

As agreed upon in exchange for addressing the Laspeera problem we've gotten Baskor to agreed to advise Beregost's Town Council.~

@1128=~The Council Advisors

In exchange for giving up the location of Baskor Tranth we were able to convince Laspeera Inthré to serve as an advisor to Beregost.~

I've tried changing the numbers in the event that there was a conflict (with no luck). I also tried getting rid of the accents thinking that that was it.

Could it be I've hit some kind of a max for the TPK file?
    Post edited by elminster on
    lolien
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited May 2019
    crashes related to strings are always caused by wrong characters encoding. Make sure that your TRA files are using UTF-8 (without BOM). ANSI or any other encoding = crash when the engine parses the string (so right after starting the game when it comes to journal entries)
    JuliusBorisov
    I would say it was more unresponsive than a crash. It just wouldn't start. As opposed to starting and then crashing. Either way the issue was fixed.
    Fina92lolien
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited May 2019
    The application was unresponsive without anything showing up because the engine encountered wrong encoding before it managed to display anything game related (journal entries are parsed right at the beginning, during Lua initialization).
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolien
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    swit wrote: »
    crashes related to strings are always caused by wrong characters encoding. Make sure that your TRA files are using UTF-8 (without BOM). ANSI or any other encoding = crash when the engine parses the string (so right after starting the game when it comes to journal entries)

I've seem this before, but honestly I have no idea what it means. @swit do you mind explaining how one might make sure ones tra files are using UTF-8?
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    I use the default settings on ConTEXT and haven't really had a problem (up until now). So that is another option for people.
    Grammarsalad
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    It is just great to come back here once in a while and find an update from you @elminster ! I'm just holding off my next playthrough waiting for this, hearing about all the changes you're implementing has really made the vanilla game (+ sprinkled with minor mods) appear dull and unfinished. Cheering for ya! :blush:
    RaduziellolienelminsterGrammarsalad
    edited May 2019
    Obviously the mod isn't out yet, and I'll repeat this when it is, but due to the occasional bit of long writing and how the engine presently handles dialog I'm going to recommend that players using this mod look into installing a dialogue UI mod as well. This is because there are a few situations where players have like 8 dialog options plus text to read. With two scrolling bars it just becomes really difficult to read both the text and the responses. @lefreut 's mod works well for this, but there may be others out there that also work that people like.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60717/mod-eeuitweaks-mod-collection-all-ee-v2-2-platforms/p1

(Also I have no power over how the dialog system currently works so don't shoot the messenger :) )
    Post edited by elminster on
    Raduziel
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    swit wrote: »
    Grammarsalad, in Notepad++ you can check it in encoding menu
    If you're from one of the European countries creating a new file in windows notepad will most likely result in file with ANSI encoding, which crashes the engine, so you need to manually convert it to UTF-8 (or use HANDLE_CHARSETS weidu function). Keep in mind that vanilla engine actually epxects ANSI encoding, not UTF-8, that's why mods working on old and EE engine at the same time use HANDLE_CHARSETS function.

BTW, you can set encoding even in standard notepad in the "Save as" menu:
    fsgplscuyor3.png
    RaduzielelminsterGrammarsaladlolien
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @elminster For a minute, your comment made me think a playable beta was out.
    elminster
    Yea that is why I edited it about 20 minutes after posting.
    edited May 2019
    So anyways I've since realized that Alatos actually disappears in Chapter 7 from the Thieves Guild. I think I'm going to stick him in the second floor of the Blushing Mermaid (and have Niklos pass you a note saying as much). Seems an appropriate enough place as any.
    Grammarsaladlolien