Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We are still not ready to announce the date.
    TorgrimmeranastielStummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • SeigmoraigSeigmoraig Member Posts: 14
    I would like to know if the IOS/Android touch controls will be available for use on the Nintendo Switch port of the games ?

Thanks !
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @JuliusBorisov, @Shaiden, and @LukeRideout Has there been any progress in tackling Bug #37442 on the Console and/or Mobile ports? How economically feasible and beneficial will this be for @Beamdog as a company to ensure parity on all 3 (Console, Mobile and PC) platforms? Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    anastiel
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Have there been any updates regarding the 2.6 patch?

We originally heard that the patch would come out in December 2018, and that we should have smaller patches going forward with less time between patch updates. We later heard that there was a delay in the release, probably related to the DLC.

Since then, we have heard absolutely nothing about the 2.6 patch, other than that it would NOT include Pathfinding fixes and NOT include UI updates.

While the DLC is holding up the 2.6 patch, does that mean all progress is currently frozen, or is there any progress being made towards later patches to resolve the Pathfinding and UI issues?

Or did Beamdog simply give up on patching IE games, leaving 2.5 to be the definitive patch? It certainly is looking that way.
    AdulanastielVasculioRavenslight
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    Questions for Beamdog:
    1. When there will be "Dice, Camera, Action" pack with new merchant onboard for IWD PC-version available?
    2. Any info on items that new merchant will be selling?
    anastiel
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Remember that the wait for the current patch has still been SHORTER than the wait for the last two patches put out by Beamdog. This isn't anything new or extraordinary yet.
    AdulRaduzielTorgrimmer
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    I am also curious about the possibility of using crowd funding to fund patches in the future. Beamdog needs to make money, and patches don't exactly do that.

Or maybe crowd funding could be used to help Beamdog rebuild an IDII:EE from the existing engine they've already reworked.
    AndreaColomboAdulPokota
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    All i want is... once they are done finishing up the console ports, is to go back to working on 2.6 IE patch asap. Its almost been six months. *fingers crossed*
    anastielAaeight
  • Gatekeep3rGatekeep3r Member Posts: 123
    Can you port Xan to BG2:EE. I miss him terribly.
    Prince_Raymond
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited November 2020
    Adul wrote: »
    Adul wrote: »
    fluke13 wrote: »
    Let's compromise... 2 big fixes and no more patches needed...
    1. Stacking of npcs on top of each other
    2. Mouse cursor turning to Microsoft arrow in part of the screen.

Those two are frustrating and have been on the list for a very long time.

Hey, I'll go you one better—they can do it with zero patches. They just need to put the source code up on Dropbox and drop us the link.

A man can dream, can't he? :wink:

@Adul Dude, that comment just brought on a flashback to when people on the BioWare Neverwinter Nights Forum were asking the developers to open the source code to that game. History is repeating itself right in front of me. Oscar Mike Foxtrot Gulf. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.

I can fully understand that sentiment, it's really the ultimate dream outcome for any game. Once the devs cut ties because it's no longer profitable/advantageous to provide further support, the fandom at large could take over and start working on the remaining engine issues and feature requests. It would basically give the game an everlasting support lifetime, as long as there's at least one person around who's willing to put in time and effort to continue improving it.

That said, I do also realize that it's usually a pipe dream, as there are various ownership and licensing circumstances that may stand in the way of the devs opening up the source code.

Here's the catch 22: There are certain engine and UI issues within the game that are just too complex and chaotic for even the most seasoned custom coder, scripter or content creator to tackle even if, hypothetically, the source code were to be made available to them. Redmine Bug #37442 has been regarded by Mr. @Shaiden as "a bit of a deep dive", so I would imagine only those who have both thorough and intimate knowledge of the source code could be the ones to properly fix it. This issue is as personal to me on so many levels as it is about the quality of life of this game. I believe it was my lack of action to report this bug during BioWare's final days of support for NWN Classic that perpetuated its existence for 13 years come July 9, 2019. My bug report on Redmine is not only another chance to see this issue finally resolved for all players of NWN, both Classic and Enhanced Editions, it is also my one shot at redemption for the mistake that I made almost 13 years ago. I must amend, avenge and atone.

@deltago Speaking of atonement, it seems I owe you an apology for my response to your comment regarding the frequency of repeated questions about gameplay issues being comparable to spam. You're right, we should all make an effort to stay more on topic and add variation to our questions on this thread. I am sorry.

Which brings me to my next questions: While the Beamdog Livestreams were still being broadcast, there was talk about a new game engine in development. Is that still being worked on? Has it been sidelined, iceboxed, or scratched altogether? @TrentOster Which Beamdog Livestream did you mention a developer at BioWare you worked with who deserved a "gut punch" for his crazy code calculation method for NWN Classic? I believe you also said the name of his calculation method. It was Polish... something. It would be nice for me to refresh my memory. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    anastiel
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    My question is in relation to the game Axis & Allies Online
    How can I access the game with early access? or participate in the beta, or this has no date? I would like to test and disseminate the Perfomece on Linux and move to the Linux Gamer community.
    Torgrimmer
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Can we get some news on what's going on right now? There was no Beamdog update since march 19.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The new blog entry is under review. Please check the OP - there was an update in April.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @JuliusBorisov "We have been putting effort into fixing issues with CreateCreatureOffscreen in our Infinity Engine games, but we don’t have plans to completely remove the feature from scripts. Report any bugs you encounter related to this feature at our bug tracker, and we’ll try to fix them!"

Wasn't @Adul 's whole point that the function itself is the source of the bug? If that's true, how would anything short of removing it fix the problem?
    Adul
    That is the point of view of @Adul. The company's point of view is that the function shouldn't be removed.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    We have posted this month's QA.

The situation around the 2.6 patch hasn't changed, this is why that question is not included. The situation around the DCA pack requires an official statement from WotC (stay tuned for their announcement).

Regarding this question by @Adul : "Are you planning to do something about the CreatueCreatureOffscreen() function and the countless issues it's still causing within BG:EE and BGII:EE?"

This was our reply from November, 02:

We have been putting effort into fixing issues with CreateCreatureOffscreen in our Infinity Engine games, but we don’t have plans to completely remove the feature from scripts. Report any bugs you encounter related to this feature at our bug tracker, and we’ll try to fix them!
    http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/11/november-02-livestream-recap.html

They are not disclaiming responsibility to fixing the bug. They are just not fixing it the way you want it fixed.

You continuously asking for it to be fixed, when they have already acknowledged that this is a bug they are looking into is like a kid in the back seat of a car ride going “are we there yet? Are we there yet? Why aren’t we there yet?”
    gugulug5000StummvonBordwehr
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    edited May 2019
    I like the Q&A’s. I hope they continue.

I have another question:
    the whole google / privacy policy problem is being solved with a new UI where you can toggle between different options?
    Is that solution going to be implemented on all platforms?
    I hope so - even though I am on a iOS platform.
    Adullolien
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Question:

Are the reasons that you can't talk about 99% of the things we really want answers to due to legal issues?

Because it's looking a lot like how things were back when Atari filed bankruptcy and you guys were quagmired in NDAs.
    AdulMERLANCERaduziel
    @Adul Thanks for the details. I've passed them to the developers.

@deltago These are the questions we could provide at this moment. I'm sorry if they disappoint you.

@lefreut These questions have been asked by your fellow forum users.

@Gatekeep3r @Wise_Grimwald The mod is compatible with BGII:EE. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71525/new-xan-bg2-voice-set-now-available
    AdulStummvonBordwehrlolien
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    deltago wrote: »
    Pokota wrote: »
    Question:

Are the reasons that you can't talk about 99% of the things we really want answers to due to legal issues?

Because it's looking a lot like how things were back when Atari filed bankruptcy and you guys were quagmired in NDAs.

Anything related to WotC is under NDA and all communications about it usually need to be approved by them before being released to the general public.

True enough, which is why it seems like a really good idea for Beamdog to cut the cord to WotC. I doubt there's a single developer out there who's had a really positive experience working with WotC, at least in recent years. I feel it would be best for both Beamdog and us fans to come to terms with the fact that WotC will never give us a decent cRPG using WotC-owned material. So why not at least go the GrapeOcean route and use the D&D OGL to make a game using a "home-brew" world?
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    NWN_ EE:

How far along are the updated character models? Are we going to get a big bang of fancy looking stuff with the new renderer?

Will the new high quality weapon and armor models also be used for inventory icons?

Are spell effects being considered for a remake as well after the character models are done?
    Aedan
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    I have 2 questions:

1) reading a post from Trent seems to suggest that we can expect a reply to Ashafetovs request (link to post inserted).
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1022420/#Comment_1022420.

Will we get a reply? Or has it already been covered in another blog post of some sort?

2) the voice pack from the waffle crew. Will it come ? or has recent events - for which Beamdog holds no responsibility (I think (and hope)) - meant that the project is put on hold?