Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited May 2019
    Arvia wrote: »
    I want Ents in Faerun.

Wait, that's an 'unpopular' opinion? I want Ents as a playable race in bgee!
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Balrog99 wrote: »

Enjoy the -128% fire vulnerability, I guess. :tongue:
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    You do mean Treants don't you?!?

tlinixu3721d.gif
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2019
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I want Ents in Faerun.

Not as a playable race! Maybe when I'm as old as a Balrog...
    But I've always wanted to say "Little orcs, burarum!"

I guess everything that gets a "like" here is not unpopular after all.

Edit: had to google "treant". Shame on me.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    semiticgod wrote: »
    Everyone complains about video games being unrealistic, but no one complains about real life not being more like video games!

Depends the video game. Can you imagine if real life was more like Call of Cthulhu?
    Everyone complains about video games being unrealistic, but no one complains about real life not being more like video games!

Depends the video game. Can you imagine if real life was more like Call of Cthulhu?

You mean it isn't? What do YOU think happened to Malaysian Flight 370???
    @semiticgod , I think sometimes we all wish life were more like a video game! Until we think about the creepy things like mind flayers, undead, necromancy, AoE spells, and not to forget angry gods who actually intervene.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Adul wrote: »

I certainly wouldn't mind finding a magical ring worth 9000 GP in the leaves under a pine tree. I think that might come close to covering my finances for the rest of my life.

But then someone might use the magical ring against you.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I've never owned a pawn shop, but if I could find a magical ring worth 9,000 gold in the leaves under a pine tree, I'd never pay that much to buy it off of someone.
    How much would 9000 gp be in real life, anyway?

If life were like a video game, I'd also worry about people breaking into my house just to see what's in my wardrobe (spectacular, spectacular: old but possibly enchanted hoodies, and unmatched socks of speed)
    Adul wrote: »

I certainly wouldn't mind finding a magical ring worth 9000 GP in the leaves under a pine tree. I think that might come close to covering my finances for the rest of my life.

But then someone might use the magical ring against you.

Yeah, but I don't believe in magic!
    Not sure if this is really an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the city of Baldur's Gate. It's not only the annoying map, I found the game much more interesting to play before I got there.
    I hope this is going to change. Maybe it's my own fault, because most doors are locked and my paladin doesn't break into locked houses without very good reason. But if the interesting stuff is really hidden away there, then why lock the doors in the first place?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yeah bg the city is not that great. it's no sigil either.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Plate armor should make you virtually invinsible to slashes and and ultra resistent to piercing. IMO plate armor should give 15 DR/slashing, 5 DR/piercing and 2 DR/blunt or something similar
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Not sure if this is really an unpopular opinion, but I don't like the city of Baldur's Gate. It's not only the annoying map, I found the game much more interesting to play before I got there.
    I hope this is going to change. Maybe it's my own fault, because most doors are locked and my paladin doesn't break into locked houses without very good reason. But if the interesting stuff is really hidden away there, then why lock the doors in the first place?

Yes, you're limiting quests and stories by RP a paladin quite substantially. However, there are other players who are disappointed by the BG city:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39818/baldurs-gate-city-boring
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41474/anyone-else-hate-baldurs-gate
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/19035/when-do-you-burn-out
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    My only issue with the city is that most of the city area is not walkable. So many space lost on huge walls and inaccessible houses. They could have done just a bit more with that.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    The infinity engine games have a currency balanced solely for the games and this is not DnD related. I would make estimates based on how much weaponry, drinks or rooms cost in the game.

Yes, you're limiting quests and stories by RP a paladin quite substantially. However, there are other players who are disappointed by the BG city:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39818/baldurs-gate-city-boring
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41474/anyone-else-hate-baldurs-gate
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/19035/when-do-you-burn-out

Okay, then I'll stop being bothered by it and accept it as a consequence of my roleplaying decision. I can live with that.
    Maybe, just for fun, I might try another class and alignment in the future, to see what I missed. Maybe not.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited May 2019
    @Arvia You can roleplay a Paladin who has a thief in the party who does various things without the Paldin knowing anything about it. So long as the thief has a good alignment, I see no problem with a thief being in the party. The thief can be there to disarm traps and the like. When roleplaying a Paladin, as I am doing now, my thief does little in the way of pickpocketting, but my Paladin would have no problems with the thief disarming traps and opening chests in Durlag's Tower as the owner of the tower is hardly going to object.
    edited May 2019
    @Wise_Grimwald , you're right, of course. I have Imoen with me, and of course she opens locks when in dungeons, or chests in enemy territory like the bandit camp or such things. But I'm still responsible for her actions, so I won't have her break into some unmarked house in the city, just because I think there might be something interesting inside.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've done just that a couple of times. I even had my thief run around on their own and RP'd them coming back with stolen items (but saying they "found" them) or talking about mysteriously unlocked doors to the LG party leader.
    @Skatan , I understand that approach, but it's not the way I want to play. I see it as an extra challenge to see how I can survive without getting everything. I'm missing XP, items, and gold this way, I know. But that's the idea.
    To me, the way you describe would mean I'm trying to cheat myself.
    (and before anyone takes offense, that doesn't mean I'm saying that anyone else is cheating, or that this is the right way. It's just my personal way.)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Arvia I use a little bit of meta gaming to get some of the content behind locked doors. If I know there is a quest there, I roleplay that character knocked on the door and was let in. Or there are a couple instances where murder had just happened (like a certain captive monster in BG) and I roleplay that charname heard a scuffle inside as they were walking past.