Skip to content

BGII:EE and IWD:EE are back on Google Play

Comments

• FaolRuaidhFaolRuaidh Member Posts: 3
    I emailed BD about this issue myself in the second week of April and have a ZenDesk support request #34833. The email I reseived about this issue, an individual named Charles closed out my request saying thus issue has been "solved", but I still don't have a copy of Icewind Dale: Expanded Edition nor Baldur's Gate 2: Expanded Edition.

This is beyond frustrating. I feel (and it sounds as if many others as well) that I am being given the run-around by Google and BD. It seems as these games are being held hostage by one or both parties and the only ones getting the shorth end of the stick is us, the consumer.

I have been a fan and owner of the games since the original release of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 and, since I could not get the original CDs to load anymore, bought the new expanded edition from BeamDog. I have bought the two Android versions of BG:EE and BG2:EE as well as IWD:EE and PlaneScape: Torment: EE. Why am I legitimately supporting a company that is not giving me access to a product that I bought for a specific OS, in good faith, and, waiting more than a month for access to that product, being told only to "be patient". If the problem were merely an issue with a change to Google policy as stated earlier, the issue would have been resolved by now and back to being available, for this is not a major coding issue. There is more going on behind the scenes than is being admitted to by BD. I personally think that they could have had the product back up by now, but since they are doing an update of the code they are waiting for this to be completed and will just put it up when they want to, consumers be damned.
    RaduzielPrince_Raymondlefreutgtrax
  • gtraxgtrax Member Posts: 9
    @shabadoo I stopped purchasing anything from play store a long long time ago. I'd rather have a refund from beamdog to use the money to purchase a steam or gog version than to stick with stupid google play store.
    StummvonBordwehrPokota
  • Anyname1Anyname1 Member Posts: 22
    Beamdog have always shafted the mobile platforms since they released the first product for it. The fact people think this will be any different amazes me.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    How about a situation where a person receives free Google play credits, and uses them to purchase a Beamdog game. If Beamdog issues a refund this violates the terms under which the person uses said credits. It's not as simple as just handing your money back, though I agree that in this circumstance you deserve a refund if you desire one. From who is a matter of debate, but you do in fact deserve it.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    It has always been the case that if you use credits on the Play store you don't get anything back. I'm not even sure there is a refund option in that case, as there is nothing to refund.

Still, Beamdog really needs to get the games back in the store, even if it means splitting the update off. For those of us lucky enough to still have it installed on a device, great. However, if anything happens to that device, we are screwed. Regardless, it's not a good look, no matter who is at fault.
  • PirriePirrie Member Posts: 26
    Maurvir wrote: »
    However, if anything happens to that device, we are screwed.

You could use the shareit app to send across the APK to another device YOU own and then copy across the obb directory. That's how I managed to transfer Dragonfall to my tablet before my phone went back for repair. Hairbrained also fell fowl off Google and have no plans to put Dragonfall back in the Play Store at present?
    Well I emailed beamdog for a refund on the 2 games plus all the dlc here is the generic response

Beamdog Support (Customer Support)

May 22, 07:32 MDT

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting Beamdog support. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you.
    I wish I could offer help in the matter of a refund, but Google Play handles their sales independently of Beamdog, and I have no way to look at or change those orders.
    We have been working with Google to get the games back and all details are on our forums here -
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74908/heads-up-were-investigating-why-bgii-ee-and-iwd-ee-are-not-shown-in-google-play#latest
    Thank you and have a great day!
    -Charles
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm reasonably certain Beamdog doesn't have control over the Google Play platform (there's no reason Google would grant that power to a separate company), so I'm guessing what's going on is that Google pulled the product because it thinks there's a problem, Beamdog is trying to negotiate with Google to get it back on the platform, and Google is proving hard to convince.

No idea what inspired Google to remove the game, though. I'm not even sure they're sharing that information with Beamdog, come to think of it. Everyone outside Google may well be in the dark.
    Skatan
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    I would think it was due to GDPR ?

So - not Google's idea either ... perhaps blame the EU ? :)

I think Google sent comms out well in advance warning Devs about this some time ago.

I'll forgive Beamdog for missing the boat if they actually toss a sale over to Google Play at some point on the remaining products. =)

Lot's of sales on the AppStore - not seeing the love on Google Play though ....
    Hello Wes,

If you would please read through the forum, your opinion may change, as we are releasing the games as soon as possible.

They required reworkings, it unfortunately can take some time, since it seems they were delayed in receiving the details on what needed to be fixed to get the games back on the store.

I am sorry for the inconvenience,
    -Charles

Well that's the response I got. I haven't changed my mind I've waited months patiently. My mind is made up. I don't appreciate Charles telling me to read the forums for lack of information regarding this issue when I've already gave beamdog more than enough time.
  • unseeingeyeunseeingeye Member Posts: 16
    What a major disappointment. I've purchased all of the infinity engine games three times each for separate platforms, however currently the only one I'm able to use regularly is my Android tablet. Thank God almighty that I did not remove Baldur's Gate II for space, but I seriously regret having removed Icewind Dale in order to play Planescape a few months ago.

I was so hyped up to play Icewind Dale, having never actually played either of its expansions back in the day, and spent all of yesterday planning out a new party composition in my mind and preparing to commit to a full play through to include Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster, and was crushed when I didn't find it on the app store and further saddened when I checked the forums to see if this was a known issue only to find that its been going on for months.

My children use the PC for schoolwork and gaming, and my daughters iPad with Siege of Dragonspear and room for Icewind Dale available is now broken, so I'm out of luck. I'm not as outraged as some appear to be, and it is certainly not that big of a deal, but I was sorely disappointed and regret that my new adventure and party idea is indefinitely on hold. Of all the games, from Planescape and Baldur's Gate to Icewind Dale II, the only content left which remains unseen for me is that of the Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster expansions so I was looking forward to the experience.

In the meantime I have a character I really like going on the original Baldur's Gate, and am romping around the Clerks Ward in Planescape Torment, so I'll have to await patiently the return of these titles to the app store. I feel sorry for those of you who have been in this situation for so many weeks now, that seriously blows.
  • unseeingeyeunseeingeye Member Posts: 16
    I feel the pain of each of you posting in this thread, and of each other Android player who had BGII:EE and IWD:EE. I'm making all I can to remind about this issue on a daily basis to the development team. We're providing updates as fast as we can.

The development team is working on this issue. While the wait can be frustrating, the games will return. It'll take time, but they will return.

It is at least nice to know that the determination is there and that eventually the games will return. Thank you very much for continuing to acknowledge the situation. I really look forward to experiencing the remaining unfamiliar territory and story of my favorite collective series of games.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddessPrince_Raymond
    I feel the pain of each of you posting in this thread, and of each other Android player who had BGII:EE and IWD:EE. I'm making all I can to remind about this issue on a daily basis to the development team. We're providing updates as fast as we can.

The development team is working on this issue. While the wait can be frustrating, the games will return. It'll take time, but they will return.

Don't quite understand how we have the same information now than we did at day 1. I'm glad beamdog has the overall attitude that the android player base can just wait and if they don't like it then tough luck. Obviously once we've paid and past the refund allowance time them its too bad.

The last time we had to wait for updates on android took years for any serious updates.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited May 2019
    Hi guys

I think a formal greating is in place. Hi and welcome.

I understand, that you really want the games back - this is understandable. So do I. As you have heard the frustation is shared with Beamdog and the rest of the community. We all hope and want the same thing. They are working on it, and the games will return.

While waiting you can enjoy this excellent forum. There are many threads with insightful stuff and misc... - so feel free to enjoy and share if you like.

And while at this forum, please note the site rules https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/63570/forum-guidelines
    The rules make sense and are respected by us all.
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
    ZaghoulJuliusBorisov
  • Royal2003Royal2003 Member Posts: 10
    I think most people would agree a rough date would go a long way, any chance we could have one?
    Skree83
  • Skree83Skree83 Member Posts: 14
    I would agree that a date, even an estimate, would go a long way into calming everyone.

Moreover It would help knowing what these supposed difficulties are.

You have only ti gain from being transparent. At the same time witholding info Is only harmful to your reputation
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Stitching together Beamdog responses in this thread it seems that Google changed it's privacy policy and pulled all noncompliant games from the store. Beamdog is incorporating these changes into an already existing project of updating the UI. The extra work of building these changes, submitting them for approval, making more changes, waiting for Google to respond, etc... is taking a very long time. Very frustrating for all of us, the devs included.
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddessPrince_Raymond
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I would point out that Apple is having a field day right now pointing out how they value privacy while implying Google doesn't. Which is actually true - Google doesn't value privacy because it goes against their primary business of advertising. Of course, Google only wants THEM to know your private business, not rando developers, which is why Google went overboard with this new privacy policy stuff. They get to look like the good guys, improve their position in the market, and answer Apple's implied accusations. All that to say that Google is trying to put on a good show of caring. Unfortunately, we are part of that collateral damage.

Now, I would appreciate it if someone at Beamdog could actually verify that is what is going on and give us some more information. The level of radio silence is unnerving.
    Royal2003StummvonBordwehr
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We can't discuss Google or Apple. We provided an update on the situation less than 2 weeks ago, and will share substantial news when we have it.
    Pokota
    Pardon the ignorance julius, do we have a rough timeline for the issue then?
    We can't discuss Google or Apple. We provided an update on the situation less than 2 weeks ago, and will share substantial news when we have it.

There is no worthwhile update its the same what we knew already just reworded. We want some sort of timeline. It's a shambles it's come to this.

At just adds more to the narrative that the android version is just a cash grab with very little after market support.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Anyname1 The narrative you're speaking about has 0 truth in it and has been mentioned in 3 of your comments. Please don't do that.
    edited May 2019
    @Anyname1 The narrative you're speaking about has 0 truth in it and has been mentioned in 3 of your comments. Please don't do that.

There is some truth in it though.

How long did it take to update the IE games on android before the 2.5 it was years.

PST had game breaking bugs at release from the original game in on the android version.

IWD ee had various graphical issues on android while waiting years for an update.

You can spin it as much as you like. But can't argue with facts.

The posts regarding this issues are still in the forums with screenshot and what not.
    There was no special treatment towards mobile versions if compared to the PC versions. The 2.5 patches for BG:EE, BGII:EE, IWD:EE and SoD arrived after months of beta testing on all the platforms. PST:EE was also patched simultaneously on different platforms.
    edited May 2019
    There was no special treatment towards mobile versions if compared to the PC versions. The 2.5 patches for BG:EE, BGII:EE, IWD:EE and SoD arrived after months of beta testing on all the platforms. PST:EE was also patched simultaneously on different platforms.

What about the 1.3 and the 2.3 versions of the game. Which left crossplay impossible due to the different versions for at least 1.5 yrs.

We need more info on what's going on with the games and dlc we've purchased. Beamdog are refusing to let us know anything substantial. Or do you think its OK we have thrown our hard earned money away.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited May 2019
    Anyname1 wrote: »

There is no worthwhile update its the same what we knew already just reworded. We want some sort of timeline. It's a shambles it's come to this.

At just adds more to the narrative that the android version is just a cash grab with very little after market support.

He literally just said they CANNOT do that. Not "don't want to", not "don't have one ready", but "CANNOT". Which implies, like with what delayed BG2EE all those years ago, that there's some sort of legal thing running interference that has NDAs connected to it.
    Prince_Raymond
    So just to cut in, there isn't any kind of long cast that has fallen out of your planning matrix meeting? Genuinely if there isn't any timeline then just say and I'll keep my mouth shut. Cheers
    There is no ETA for this but it doesn't mean it won't happen and it doesn't mean nothing is being done regarding it.
    StummvonBordwehrPrince_RaymondRoyal2003