Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    To be fair, I could see one particular TOB easter egg work quite well:

Should BGIII feature the city of Waterdeep in one of its chapters then players could perhaps stumble across Edwina's tavern. Granted: the timeline is 100+ years apart from her epilogue's. So it would make more sense for Edwina's grandchildren to run the tavern. But such a little and "subtile" reference could still cause a little smirk on my face.

Just don't make it a forced, clash-in-your-face type of cameo. (I'm glaring at you, 5e Minsc!)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2019
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @elminster IIRC, you can eat Myrkul's soul. So he CAN die, it just depends on player choice.

Ahh ok. I guess maybe we can assume the canon is that you don't absorb his soul? Alternatively maybe some of Myrkul's soul remained in the Crown of Horns?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Hmm.

Sick of the name already, personally.

It's called the Forgotten Realms, so why are we already back to the Sword Coast with so much more to explore,

Because everything else is... forgotten.
    I'll see myself out.
    StummvonBordwehrSylvus_MoonbowlolienQuartz
    deltago wrote: »
    Because everything else is... forgotten.
    I'll see myself out.
    *throws tomatoes*

Don't mind me, just practicing my throwing skills.
  • SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2019
    giphy-downsized-large.gif

Inventive writers can come up with ten thousand solutions. Ok, at least three that'll work well for this game. Looking forward to what they cook up... and also the project after Beamdog's next project, say?
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    chbrooks wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the Bhaalspawn Saga is no longer wrapped up. You can blame Wizards of the Coast for that, as they decided that Viekang was evil all along and had him kill the canon CharName stand-in, resulting in Bhaal's return. So everything you went through to keep Bhaal dead was really just a quest to hit a cosmic snooze button.
    Again, that just means the sage IS wrapped up, but it didn't end how you (and others) wanted it to end.
    If this has *anything* to do with the Heroes of Baldur's Gate 5e module adventure in PC format, I'm not interested. The story has been told. It's over.
    I personally would rather see a 5th Edition ruleset version of some Planescape story, honestly.

• SkipBittmanSkipBittman Member Posts: 146
    edited June 2019
    I shamefully haven't played any 5th edition. Do you think it lends itself better to CRPGs? What would be the major differences as they would apply to a game other than dropping ancient negative numbers for armor like back in the day? Combat stuff?

I enjoyed most of the two OS games but the rules system was definitely a bit sloppy and saggy in places. If they had a better framework for it for more interesting combat, it could help out one of their weaknesses. Really it's that I'm a sucker for those ridiculous AD&D mage duels and hope we get those in spades.

And as a footnote, let me mourn the loss of that Planescape game again.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    A 5e version of Planescape would be amazing.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    edited June 2019
    elminster wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the Bhaalspawn Saga is no longer wrapped up. You can blame Wizards of the Coast for that, as they decided that Viekang was evil all along and had him kill the canon CharName stand-in, resulting in Bhaal's return. So everything you went through to keep Bhaal dead was really just a quest to hit a cosmic snooze button.

Yea that module was a bit of a mess "Decades of dodging assassinations and battling enterprising Bhaalspawn honed Viekang’s murderous impulses to a razor’s edge. Now he has come to Baldur’s Gate to end it all, one way or another." is about the only explanation we got. Considering its been about 100 years since the events of BG (it happens around 1482 DR) that seems pretty odd. Like excuse me while I wait 100 years to kill the last of my siblings. Uhh what?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there only 2 options in ToB? Either you accept all of Bhaal's essence and become a god yourself, or you give up all of your own essence with the Solar mentioning they'll lock it up for eternity or something.

The first option could potentially allow for Bhaal's return, eventually the essence taking over Charname a la Iyachtu Xvim/Bane. The second option takes all the essence from Charname, so what would killing him accomplish?

Edit: reading up on Abdel, he apparently retained his essence? Sigh. Since the books are almost universally hated among the game's players, making a BG3 which follows BOOK-continuity would be another slap in the faces of fans.
    ThacoBellRedRodent
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    you either become a god or you lose the taint and become mortal. so the 5th ed module makes no sense with the games.

wotc does not consider the books canon anymore. so if anything this bg3 will be like never winter nights 2. same area but not part of the overall story. so just don't call it bg 3 then larian it's simple.
    ThacoBell
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Sjerrie wrote: »

Yea that module was a bit of a mess "Decades of dodging assassinations and battling enterprising Bhaalspawn honed Viekang’s murderous impulses to a razor’s edge. Now he has come to Baldur’s Gate to end it all, one way or another." is about the only explanation we got. Considering its been about 100 years since the events of BG (it happens around 1482 DR) that seems pretty odd. Like excuse me while I wait 100 years to kill the last of my siblings. Uhh what?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there only 2 options in ToB? Either you accept all of Bhaal's essence and become a god yourself, or you give up all of your own essence with the Solar mentioning they'll lock it up for eternity or something.

The first option could potentially allow for Bhaal's return, eventually the essence taking over Charname a la Iyachtu Xvim/Bane. The second option takes all the essence from Charname, so what would killing him accomplish?

Edit: reading up on Abdel, he apparently retained his essence? Sigh. Since the books are almost universally hated among the game's players, making a BG3 which follows BOOK-continuity would be another slap in the faces of fans.

Yea Abdel gave away the vast majority of the essence but Viekang still has his and so. Life finds a way?

I'll be honest I can't defend it. Like I said earlier I don't think much of the module.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @elminster IIRC, you can eat Myrkul's soul. So he CAN die, it just depends on player choice.

Ahh ok. I guess maybe we can assume the canon is that you don't absorb his soul? Alternatively maybe some of Myrkul's soul remained in the Crown of Horns?

Or imprisoned in a kickin rad scythe!
    elminster
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Maybe a little late, but as person who never enjoyed custom made modules of NWN1 nor had anyone to play co-op with, I was at dismay when I couldn't play any of official campaign on modern system.

Yes, that's right. There are people who enjoy OC, Shadows & Hordes & want to replay them. And Windows 10 only offered me a lag on integrated INTEL graphic card, among transparent UI nobody was able to solve for me. I now have better computer, but I can now enjoy all the charm of 2000th writing with nostalgia glasses.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    VallmyrDragonspearQuartz
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    I feel sorry for you, Beamdog! <3
    I still have to wonder why WotC wanted another Underdark Stampede. One may think that HotU was enough.
    Worse than that: I have to kill Drizzt Do'Urden all over again! That dude just won't stay dead! The hassle!
    Quartz
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited June 2019
    Cvijeta wrote: »
    I feel sorry for you, Beamdog! <3
    I don't. They shot themselves in the foot too many times. NWN EE hasn't impressed me.

Until Beamdog develops their own unique game and storyline (I don't care if it's D&D related or not), I'm not all that wowed by Beamdog. I used to be a huge fan of the company, but they need to prove themselves, if they want to make products akin to Baldur's Gate 3.
    lefreutWarChiefZekekanisathaQuartz
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited June 2019
    Great article on BG3 over at Venture Beat:
    https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/06/baldurs-gate-iii-is-coming-for-pc-and-stadia-when-its-ready-takes-place-after-dds-descent-into-avernus/

TL:DR
    5th edition
    Takes place after Decent into Avernus, ~ 100 years after SoA
    MC is not the same MC from BG & BG2

Neither confirm nor deny:
    • Bhalspawn
    • NPCs from 1 & 2
    • Hamsters
    Quartz
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @BillyYank We've opened a new subforum for BGIII: https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/baldur-s-gate-iii

Enjoy!
    SjerrieGenderNihilismGirdleSylvus_MoonbowQuartz
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I have to agree, but Baldur's Gate is an almost iconic city in FR now. I'm sure the name recognition was a major factor. Still, I would love to see a game set in one of the less explored areas. Tethir would be my top choice, but I'm a sucker for impenetrable swamps and forests. Sembia would be pretty cool as well.

As it happens, though, it seems we are going back to Baldur's Gate.
    SjerriemlneveseQuartz
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Maurvir wrote: »
    I have to agree, but Baldur's Gate is an almost iconic city in FR now. I'm sure the name recognition was a major factor. Still, I would love to see a game set in one of the less explored areas. Tethir would be my top choice, but I'm a sucker for impenetrable swamps and forests. Sembia would be pretty cool as well.

As it happens, though, it seems we are going back to Baldur's Gate.

Or what's left of it. The only person alive in that video was that one a Flaming Fist knight....
    If that's so, WotC stole Beamdog's game and gave it Larian. That is alll kinds of messed up.
    megamike15Aedan
  • elmurdocelmurdoc Member Posts: 17
    If that's so, WotC stole Beamdog's game and gave it Larian. That is alll kinds of messed up.

Stole? It was cancelled and the story is still theirs or not?

Now they still needs to give credit to the writers but after that i don't see any problem.
    Quartz
    elmurdoc wrote: »

Stole? It was cancelled and the story is still theirs or not?

Now they still needs to give credit to the writers but after that i don't see any problem.

Theft is fine? Because unless Beamdog sold the story because they wanted too, that's what it is. Not like this is at all confimed. Anything is just guessing at this point.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Possibly, multiple companies had to deposit their concept for bg3 at wizards and larian had a better concept.
    And it is not unheard of that ideas overlap.
  • elmurdocelmurdoc Member Posts: 17
    Well it seems that was wotc who asked about the mind flayer :)

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Words cannot describe how much i'm happy that Baldur's Gate 3 is coming. With 5e rules no less.

@Vallmyr @Kamigoroshi @rapsam2003
    Quartz
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    If I can play Piro as an actual gnome glamour bard I will be the MOST excited. I absolutely adore the 5e ruleset.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    If I can play Piro as an actual gnome glamour bard I will be the MOST excited. I absolutely adore the 5e ruleset.

I think it will be extremely unlikely that the game will feature Unearthed Arcana content, though.

...At least before expansion pack 1 ;)
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage