Skip to content

[MOD] Portraits Portraits Everywhere (for BG1EE, SOD, BG2EE, IWDEE, EET)

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    bob_veng said:

how does the mod interact with argent77's TotL conversion?

I haven't tried it but it would like any mod. If installed after the conversion it won't give any main/named character any special portrait. Its made to allow modmakers to specify their own portraits for named characters since there's no telling what any one person will have installed.

It will still give generic portraits for things like people named "guard" and several classes/groups/professions.
    bob_veng
  • mannymansteinmannymanstein Member Posts: 4
    This mod is awesome, I don't know how I used to enjoy bg before this. Majority of the portrait selections fit really well. thankyou !
    Ludwig_IIsmeagolheart
  • elyoungqueelyoungque Member Posts: 1
    Any way to get this working on OSX? Wine isn't working.
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    It works fine for me using OSX. Are you trying to install it with the Mac WeiDU Launcher?
  • kittenykitteny Member Posts: 16
    Great mod! Is there anyway to get my Charname portrait to appear below the npcs portrait when I am selecting a dialogue response? I think this would be a nice touch as it would feel more immersive

just a thought :) thank you for this mod
    smeagolheartZaghoullolien
    kitteny wrote: »
    Great mod! Is there anyway to get my Charname portrait to appear below the npcs portrait when I am selecting a dialogue response? I think this would be a nice touch as it would feel more immersive

just a thought :) thank you for this mod

I think that would be something to add from a UI mod.
    lolien
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i'm kinda curious if there is a way to make a mod like this for ice wind dale 2.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i'm kinda curious if there is a way to make a mod like this for ice wind dale 2.

In Icewind Dale 2, even if the character you're talking to has a portrait, the game doesn't display it; it displays the portrait of the party member who's doing the talking.
    megamike15
    edited September 2019
    a werid thing about this mod made me stop useing it. for some reason it just deletes xan's portrait even tho i'm using another mod that replaces it. his is just not there and blank. when you uninstall ppe it's still gone doing a new game restores it tho.
    @megamike15 You can restore Xan's portrait by placing a copy of the original portrait into the portraits folder. The copy needs to be called XAN.bmp. I seem to recall the mod doing that for one other character, but I forget who.
    megamike15
    It needs to be placed into the portrait folder before installing.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    There should already be portrait files for Xan in the system, named XANL, XANM, and XANS. The unmodded game uses XANL for the large portrait (on the main screen sidebar) and XANM for the small portrait (when he's speaking). With the PPE mod, it's looking for XAN instead and not finding it. So, then, to satisfy the mod, you want a copy of XANM renamed to XAN. If it's in the mod's "portraits" folder before installing, it's seamless. If you've already installed the mod, you can put it in the override folder. Or, you could edit saves in EEKeeper to give Xan his old XANL and XANM portraits.

Recruitable characters with portraits in the PPE folder, which then get copied to the override folder:
    Garrick, Safana, Tiax, Xzar. Some may have altered backgrounds to distinguish them from the versions players can select.

Actually, I've already installed PPE, and I can't isolate a copy of the file in question. The "Extract" button in EEKeeper doesn't seem to do anything. Can someone post a copy of XANM.bmp?
    megamike15Gusinda
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @jmerry, 'ereyago

Gus
    it looks like the issue is the XAN portrait is missing from the mod folder. this may want to be fixed in an update.
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    edited September 2019
    @smeagolheart Hah! I just found out that you used my Sirick charname portrait for Magreb. That was so weird to unexpectedly see.

If you'd like, here's a slightly updated version, less in the style of the original BG portraits, and closer to what you'd see from Artastrophe (as I changed it to match more with her style of portraits since I'm currently using them).

jzdqutf35m20.jpg
    megamike15smeagolheart
    well i already went and override a few portraits from this with the ones from Artastrophe's pack. so now my game is a mishmash of portrait syles.
    @smeagolheart A question. I prefer having portraits only for the more important NPCs, if I were to install the mod, then delete all the .cre and .bmp files in the Override folder of the NPCs I don't want to have portraits for, would this cause any issues? Assuming I've a clean install with no other mods.
    Sirick wrote: »
    @smeagolheart A question. I prefer having portraits only for the more important NPCs, if I were to install the mod, then delete all the .cre and .bmp files in the Override folder of the NPCs I don't want to have portraits for, would this cause any issues? Assuming I've a clean install with no other mods.

@Sirick It's been a very long time since I delved into this but yes I believe it should work that way. IIRC the "groups" option that assigns portraits to "Guard" and whatnot is optional.
  • ranganlolranganlol Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if this how the mod is supposed to work or not but all the commoners that share a model and voice also share the same portrait. If this is how it is supposed to work, is there a way to change what portrait is assigned to each character "archetype"(model basically)? Because all the fat bald commoners have a very handsome, almost regal-looking portrait with very long hair in my game, which is slightly "immersion"-breaking.
    ranganlol wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this how the mod is supposed to work or not but all the commoners that share a model and voice also share the same portrait. If this is how it is supposed to work, is there a way to change what portrait is assigned to each character "archetype"(model basically)? Because all the fat bald commoners have a very handsome, almost regal-looking portrait with very long hair in my game, which is slightly "immersion"-breaking.

it depends on how they are coded. Some mods are sloppy with how they handle creatures.
    @Sirick those are amazing!
    @smeagolheart

Thanks! Although all credit should go to the original artists. I only really did any real work on a handful, either because I wanted something close to what that NPC should look like (Volo for example). Or the base image didn't match in style well enough with the others, despite it being what I thought was a good match for that particular NPC.

There is one or two portraits I'm not 100% happy with, and may change later, but for now it's good enough for my next playthrough.

Hopefully some others can get some use out of them too.
    edited September 2019
    i think i might use this just for the elminster portrait. as i was having issues replacing he one from this mod with the one from aeraport but this one is better overall as i was not a fan of the fact he lacked his hat.

edit: i feel the gorian wraith's portrait should be updated to as you changed gorians portrait and they share the same one alto the wraith is lighter.
    Post edited by megamike15 on
    @megamike15 The Gorion wraith from ToB? I intend to do all the "important" NPC's from BGII as well as soon as I've done my current BG1 playthrough. I'll be sure to include an wraith Gorion variant just for you!
    Ludwig_IImegamike15
    Sirick wrote: »
    @megamike15 The Gorion wraith from ToB? I intend to do all the "important" NPC's from BGII as well as soon as I've done my current BG1 playthrough. I'll be sure to include an wraith Gorion variant just for you!

no rush. i tend to prefer these style portraits to the originals in general. makes some characters like nalia and the five look so much better imo.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    cool!

gotta tell you tho, kirinhale should look like a sexy human female, probably with a slightly unnatural pale-bluish complexion. at least that's how i gather from looking at the sprite. demonic look is very problematic because it acts as a spoiler
    bob_veng wrote: »
    cool!

gotta tell you tho, kirinhale should look like a sexy human female, probably with a slightly unnatural pale-bluish complexion. at least that's how i gather from looking at the sprite. demonic look is very problematic because it acts as a spoiler

Good point, I'll probably make a few substitutions and or colour changes to certain portraits as I work my way through my next playthrough and notice inconsistencies.

I think with Kirinhale I figured I'd just go with a cool portrait (since I already know what she is), but a more lore friendly alternative is definitely something I'll have to include once I finalise everything.
    edited October 2019
    so it's safe to assume your skipping sige of dragon spear? i'm not 100% sure if this mod even adds portraits for that besides those that show up in both like entar and belt. i ask because Artastrophe never got around to doing portraits for that besides the new party members.