Skip to content

Divinity Original Sin 2

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2017
    Yea for the furthest playthrough I did (for DOS 1) I had thoroughly explored and fought enemies around the town. But eventually I lost interest (and my saved games must have been deleted at some point). Restarting the game and getting back to that point ended up feeling like a chore.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's kind of a story structure issue. Detective work is fine in a CRPG, but more for the middle section of a game. A struggle for survival and freedom works much better as an opening section.

Unless it's an Agatha Christie RPG I guess.
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    yo rate my setup

Lohse - Witch (main character)
    The Red Prince - Summoner
    Sebille - Wayfarer
    Beast - Cleric
    JuliusBorisov
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    I honestly din't liked much DO:S, i found the combat too slow, this killed Wizardry 8 for me, the skills i din't found something that interesting, like time stop, conjure an undead army, etc and the story din't got me into it.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

I honestly din't liked much DO:S, i found the combat too slow, this killed Wizardry 8 for me, the skills i din't found something that interesting, like time stop, conjure an undead army, etc and the story din't got me into it.

If theres a game that deserves a enhanced edition, it's Wizardry 6, 7 and 8.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Ah, Wizardry 8... hanging out in the rapax castle... reading a book during the enemy army's round...
    ~~memories~~
    :3<3</p>

There is a mod called Wizfast that fixes this aspect of the game completely, thought it is certainly a little obscure.
    [Deleted User]
  • SatelliteMind89SatelliteMind89 Member Posts: 8
    How's the multiplayer for this? The introduction of a DM client seemed pretty cool.
    [Deleted User]
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Playing DOS 2. Am I the only one who feels bored by the story and the depth? I thin a CRPG should have an immersive and engaging story, only excellent. Or be a great dungeon crawler. I really trty hard to like this game, specially since I spent money on it, but the ACT II seems dull, superficial, and I don't find an incentive.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMagekanisatha[Deleted User]SorcererV1ct0r
    Playing DOS 2. Am I the only one who feels bored by the story and the depth? I thin a CRPG should have an immersive and engaging story, only excellent. Or be a great dungeon crawler. I really trty hard to like this game, specially since I spent money on it, but the ACT II seems dull, superficial, and I don't find an incentive.

I strongly agree. Tried hard to like the game, but din't liked. I mean, the game doesn't have an interesting story nor interesting combat(too slow) nor interesting character development.
    kanisatha[Deleted User]scriver
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    I've put about 50 hours into the game (most of which was on a co-op campaign), only really getting into act 2, I stopped and started quite a bit. Something about this game just doesn't really work for me, the tone is kind of all over the place and the combat is very samey throughout. I thin superficially its doing a lot of things that people are probably quite new to (like it does have a lot of flexibility for you to do as you want, and it has an "accessable" combat system) but I don't feel it really gave me anything truly substantial to care about.
    SorcererV1ct0rscriver
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The game, and D:OS 1, are currently on a big discount on Steam, btw.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Quick DOS2 question: Is the story tied heavily to the first game or is it a completely different adventure, but just in the same universe?
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    There are some call backs, and a couple of characters make appearances, but the second one takes place a long time after the first, I think it was close to a thousand years later. Playing the first one isn't necessary at all to get a handle on what's going on.
    edited June 2019
    ...tempting...

It's like $60 Canadian for Beyond Divinity, Divine Divinity, Divinity II: Developer's Cut, Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition, Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition, Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Divine Ascension.

...which seems like an amazing deal. But I am so backed up in my game catalog right now, adding 5 more right now might be a waste of money because I won't get around to playing them... although, just checked Beyond Divinity and Divine Divinity are both 64 cents ATM. :D
    edited June 2019
    deltago wrote: »
    ...tempting...

It's like $60 Canadian for Beyond Divinity, Divine Divinity, Divinity II: Developer's Cut, Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition, Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition, Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Divine Ascension.

...which seems like an amazing deal. But I am so backed up in my game catalog right now, adding 5 more right now might be a waste of money because I won't get around to playing them... although, just checked Beyond Divinity and Divine Divinity are both 64 cents ATM. :D

I would buy Divinity Original Sin 1 for $13. See if you like its combat and gameplay (the story is not its best feature so don't worry about that as much). If you do look at buying DOS 2 for another $30 (provided you get it while the sale is on). It improves a lot on the first game but still keeps a lot of elements of it.

Also Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Divine Ascension is just like a bunch of fluff. You don't need it.
    I have DOS1 on XBone. Not enjoying it (but more story wise). I think I am going to hold off. It will go lower than 40% by thanksgiving, which is about the time I'd probably get around to playing it.
    elminster
    Makes sense.
    edited June 2019
    I honestly din't liked DOS 2
    - Din't liked the story(played 6 hour, in the same time i was fully immersed on the BG/IWD/NWN/P:K story)
    - Din't liked the skills(nothing epic like stop time) and hell, bow skills with 13m range. Come on, this is an longbow or an nerf gun?
    - Din't liked mechanics like cooldowns(fired an bow, now i need to wait 4 turns to fire in the same way again)
    - Din't liked how your char progress
    - Din't liked the combat(too slow, remembers me of Wizardry 8)
    - Din't liked the UI, too much "console focused"
    (...)

IMO DOS2 is overrated.

EDIT : EVen NWN2 that nerfed Warlocks to oblivion compared to pnp allows me to "snipe" at 100m+ with my Eldricht Spear. "sniping" on DOS 2 is impossible...
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited July 2019
    I'd copy the link here - https://www.bilibili.com/video/av56027142/

A 1-hour interview with Swen which gives a ton (I really mean it) of information on D:OS, D:OS 2, improvements, ideas, storytelling, the Larian approach, Swen preferences, how they read and react to criticism, who is Arhu, what are the strengths of D:OS 1 and why D:OS 2 is a much better game - everything about it. Very revealing, and must-seen for anyone who liked (at least partially) D:OS, D:OS 2, or just want to become a game developer (yes, it has advice for game developers as well).
    PsicoVic
    Guys, i wanna heavily mod DOS2 and see if i will like the game.

The first mod that i tried to find is "Armor-Based Saving Throws" but looks like the author removed the mod from steam
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DivinityOriginalSin/comments/745m7m/armorbased_saving_throws/

Anyone know where i can mod the game to allow SAVES and DC's instead of the armor system? Mod to increase the range of ranged attacks(for enemies too, otherwise will be broken), to remove cooldowns and allow multiple summons? I an not criticizing DOS2, i an just asking if i can mod the game to fulfill my preferences. If you like or not DOS2 mechanics is up to your preferences.
    PsicoVic
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited July 2019
    @SorcererV1ct0r I can´t believe that you are going to play dos2, pal :D You can find that mod (and several others) in https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/168

Just give us a review if you manage to play it for a while, that would be something. And by all means, enjoy!

I also use this: https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/376 because if not, you are "forced" to have an all-mages party or a necro +3 warriors party =P

SorcererV1ct0r
    edited July 2019
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    @SorcererV1ct0r I can´t believe that you are going to play dos2, pal :D You can find that mod (and several others) in https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/168

Just give us a review if you manage to play it for a while, that would be something. And by all means, enjoy!

I also use this: https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/376 because if not, you are "forced" to have an all-mages party or a necro +3 warriors party =P

Thanks a lot. I found this other mod Increased Summon Limits, but only works increasing the summon from one to two > https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/185

This to change the armor mechanic a little (don't know if both are compatible)
    https://www.nexusmods.com/divinityoriginalsin2/mods/36

But unfortunately i din't found any mod that drastically changes the gameplay to be more on par with the games that i enjoy more. I sleep, woke and only 30% of an game downloaded. Will work, then go to gym and probably only download dos2 tomorrow but i believe that modding will improve a lot the game. Skyrim, i become bored pretty quickly, but mods made the game great.
    edited July 2019
    Skyrim, i become bored pretty quickly, but mods made the game great.
    I hear you. To be honest the first playthrough was the one and only non-modded I´ve made in DoS2 (And in skyrim too )
    Right now my list of mods installed goes by the dozens.

Ed: The armor mod uses a script so usually is compatible with most mods.
    edited July 2019
    So, I've been playing D:OS 2 with my wife during a vacation (on Tactician, without mods). We've completed Acts 1 & 2, and it's been the first time I've seen Act 2. The experience will stay forever with me, among the best RPG experiences, that's for sure. I've read previously some players think Fort Joy is the best area - I actually liked the whole Act 2 map and enjoyed different types of battles there. I liked the fact a few battles required a full stop and analysis of what should be changed to survive.

I've come to a conclusion the D:OS games are kinda different from the usual experience of BG, NWN, PoE, D:A when you have a strong hero and can survive everything on the first go, because these games are more story-based. In D:OS 2, however, each battle is a test. Once I accepted battles can be a sort of a task/a riddle to solve, unrelated to a role-played adventure I've been playing between them, it's become even more enjoyable for me. I appreciated unique abilities/auras enemies used, as well as their placement at the start of the battle, especially Mordus turning Mord'Akaim, the Desiccated Undead on the 3rd encounter, and of course Eternal Aetera. These 3 battles are marvellous. And then there're battles against Scarecrows, the Black Pits fight, and clearing the Lone Wolves camp... The feeling is also different because in different battles different characters were more important for the positive outcome.

I can't agree with @MonoCanalla above about the story being boring. Ryker's mansion and his past, the story of Almira, Gareth's parents, the whole Death Fog story, Eternals, and of course the Advocate.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    SorcererV1ct0rDrHappyAngry
    <...>
    I've come to a conclusion the D:OS games are kinda different from the usual experience of BG, NWN, PoE, D:A when you have a strong hero and can survive everything on the first go, because these games are more story-based. In D:OS 2, however, each battle is a test. Once I accepted battles can be a sort of a task/a riddle to solve, unrelated to a role-played adventure I've been playing between them,<...>

Only an correction. On this games, your "hero" is not invincible. I an having an really hard time on PfK against Spawn of Rovagug and on NWN, i had some trouble against Mephistopheles on my first run at max difficulty.

I like when the gameplay and the "lore" are linked, like on Dark Souls(an random item says that an boss is blind, this means that you can use an spell to 'exploit" his weaknesses), but i don't like for eg have an spell that can revive party members, except if the party member died in a "cut scene" or an book saying how powerful an meteor spell is, capable of destroying armies and after you get the meteor spell, it being just like a fireball. Or an necromancer(PC or NPC) feared by being able to raise army raising only one or two minions on battle. Is up to preference, i know, for those who enjoy more the style of combat on D:OS2 where combat are more like puzzles, is it probably an "boring detail" Note, i an not criticizing DOS2, i know that is an amazing game for his propose.
    In D:OS 2, however, each battle is a test. Once I accepted battles can be a sort of a task/a riddle to solve, unrelated to a role-played adventure I've been playing between them.

Fair play for you, butI think this is a good expression of why, yeah I really cannot stand these games. I kinda think they're awful, just the more I think about my experiences with them. They don't possess any of the elements of the CRPGs I've loved over the years, whether it be Baldur's Gate, Shadowrun or Fallout, because there's very little substance to the story, and if we're talking about it as a turn based strategy game, it doesn't compare well to basically any of the competent games in that genre either, be it Xcom, Shining Force, Fire Emblem et al because its systems are a chaotic mess by comparison.

Larian might make a Baldur's Gate 3 that I like, but as I've said a lot, I have reasons for my scepticism.

kanisatha
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Yes, for me act 2 was the best part of the game. Tons of exploration without many barriers, interesting characters and things to do. It has one of the toughest fights in the game, too. I generally didn't like the first one, since the fights ran on for so long, but even with the length of the fight on top of the oil well, and it's difficulty, it was a ton of fun, even though it took me a few tries the first time.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited August 2019
    hybridial wrote: »
    In D:OS 2, however, each battle is a test. Once I accepted battles can be a sort of a task/a riddle to solve, unrelated to a role-played adventure I've been playing between them.

Fair play for you, butI think this is a good expression of why, yeah I really cannot stand these games. I kinda think they're awful, just the more I think about my experiences with them. They don't possess any of the elements of the CRPGs I've loved over the years, whether it be Baldur's Gate, Shadowrun or Fallout, because there's very little substance to the story, and if we're talking about it as a turn based strategy game, it doesn't compare well to basically any of the competent games in that genre either, be it Xcom, Shining Force, Fire Emblem et al because its systems are a chaotic mess by comparison.

Larian might make a Baldur's Gate 3 that I like, but as I've said a lot, I have reasons for my scepticism.

I respectfully disagree: I do not think anyone can see DOS games as a "TB strategic game" (Like Xcom and civilization) by any definition.
    Using the same logic, you can also say that you cannot compare to Minecraft because you can only craft weapons and armor, not build buildings and upgrades.

PsicoVic wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree: I do not think anyone can see DOS games as a "TB strategic game" (Like Xcom and civilization) by any definition.

I feel that was what @JuliusBorisov was implying, because interpreting the combat of DOS that way is kind of saying its about each battle being a test within itself, which is how most TBS games are structured at least for the actual fighting, but I definitely still think it doesn't work for that either because of the mechanics being messy.