Skip to content

modmerge: merge your Steam/GOG zip based DLC into something Weidu/NearInfinity/DLTCEP can use.

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @megamike15 Alternatively, you could leave the Steam installation untouched, and have Steam update it automatically. Simply make a copy of the installation to another place on your harddrive, and mod the copy (starting with modmerge on the copy).
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    One question: how do I tell an updated (Steam)-SoD game that modmerge should run anew? Modmerge tells the player that it can't run again but the game is not modmerged, or at least the mods he tries to install do not see it.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    You could check the following:
    - Does the file "sod-dlc.disabled" or "dlc/sod-dlc.disabled" exists? -> Delete the file
    - Do the files "sod-dlc.key" and/or "chitin.key.bak" exist? -> Delete the files
    - Does "sod-dlc" subfolder exists? -> Delete the folder

Afterwards it's best to reinstall or restore the game to restore the remaining files affected by modmerge.
    JuliusBorisov
    Late reply, thank you @argent77!
    JuliusBorisov
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    edited November 2018
    Hi, i am wondering : as soon as i have merged my game, can i delete sod-dlc.disabled as well as modmerge.exe ?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Mordekaie, no problems with deleting both files out of the game folder.

Gus
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Moderators: please unpin this topic and pin "DLC Merger" instead
    Everyone: please use "DLC Merger" from now
    It has benefits for players (easier installation), modders (ability to check), and Project infinity (debbug info).
  • cleverestcleverest Member Posts: 12
    I have the x3 Baldur's gate installs in (BGEE, BGIIEE, and SOD) three different folders...purchased from Beamdog, and I want to use EET, but it tells me SOD is not installed, I believe I need to use DLC MERGER, but when I run it in the BGEE folder, it tells me no DLC is found...do I need to place the contents of my SOD install somewhere specific first? Thanks.
    edited March 2019
    @cleverest If you use the Beamdog client, then your "SOD" installation is actually BGEE+SoD combined.

In EET, import your "SOD" installation, and ignore your "BGEE" installation entirely. (You don't need that and can uninstall that.)

You also do not need to use any Merger. Those are only for Steam and GoG.
  • cleverestcleverest Member Posts: 12
    Thels wrote: »
    @cleverest If you use the Beamdog client, then your "SOD" installation is actually BGEE+SoD combined.

In EET, import your "SOD" installation, and ignore your "BGEE" installation entirely. (You don't need that and can uninstall that.)

You also do not need to use any Merger. Those are only for Steam and GoG.

WOW thanks! I wish that was more clear in the instructions (or I missed them). I appreciate the response!
    Wise_Grimwald
  • joshua15502joshua15502 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2019
    thank you ,it is a nice tool!

• fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
    edited July 2019
    This is probably a daft question but does modmerge (or DLC merger for that matter) make the dialog.tlk compatible between BGEE and BG2EE? I.E. can assets taken from one game have their strings read correctly by the other game after modmerge has been applied and the mod has been intalled subsequently?
    That has nothing to do with Modmerge. I can't say for sure, as I'm not a modder, but you'd have to add the strings to the other dialog.tlk, and then have the item point to the new string entries.
  • fortysevenfortyseven Member Posts: 96
    Thought as much. Thanks for clarifying!
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited July 2019
    ALIEN wrote: »
    • Moderators: please unpin this topic and pin "DLC Merger" instead

@semiticgod

Could you accommodate this request? Thanks
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm on mobile right now. @JuliusBorisov could you handle this?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I'm not sure I want to unpin this topic.
    Aedan
    @JuliusBorisov @argent77 's DLC Merger is superior to Modmerge because it can be deinstalled like a mod.
    Modmerge gives false-positives (negatives?) if a modmerged game is refreshed by downloading the game anew (so the game looks like it's all clean and can be modmerged again, but if modmerge is run it says it doesn't need to although the game is not ready to be modded), I had to troubleshoot players more than once with this.
    @JuliusBorisov Yes, modmerge was a simple hack, not a proper solution in terms of weidu modding. Please unpin this so it won't create more problems.
  • GarikosGarikos Member Posts: 1
    No one answered the question of whether there is a modmerge compatible with Win64? I am only seeing a Win32 version. I can't imagine other Win64 users aren't having the same problem, so maybe Win32 version is still compatible? Well either way, my Siege of Dragonspear won't even run when I have mods installed. It just autocrashes every time. I had to completely get rid of my mods to get it to run. I'm wondering if the fact there is no Win64 modmerge is the culprit or not.
    @Garikos Forget about modmerge, use https://github.com/Argent77/A7-DlcMerger/releases/latest, it has win64 version.
    Wise_Grimwald
    Garikos wrote: »
    No one answered the question of whether there is a modmerge compatible with Win64? I am only seeing a Win32 version. I can't imagine other Win64 users aren't having the same problem, so maybe Win32 version is still compatible? Well either way, my Siege of Dragonspear won't even run when I have mods installed. It just autocrashes every time. I had to completely get rid of my mods to get it to run. I'm wondering if the fact there is no Win64 modmerge is the culprit or not.

While @ALIEN 's advise to use the DLCMerger is solid, in general, a 64bit Windows OS can run 32bit Windows applications just fine. If elsewhere you notice a piece of software that only has a 32bit version, you can still go ahead with downloading and installing the software (assuming you trust the source). 64bit applications are a little bit more optimized for 64bit operating systems, but if the application isn't a demanding application, the difference is mostly irrelevant.
    JuliusBorisovWise_Grimwald
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Garikos, to answer the specific question, modmerge is compatible with Win64.

If you pose your question about the crashes in the Troubleshooting section, we can see what else is going on. When you do so, could you also upload your WeiDU.log and if you can, run DXDIAG (press CTRL-R together and type DXDIAG) and upload the report as well.

Gus
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovAedan
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited August 2019
    @Garikos Forget about modmerge, use https://github.com/Argent77/A7-DlcMerger/releases/latest, it has win64 version.

DLC merger is great except for one thing. Mods like BGQE will not install unless Modmerge has been installed. They look to see if Modmerge has been installed and if it hasn't, installation is cancelled. :(
    I have reported that on the BGQE website to try and get that rectified, however there will probably be other mods with the same problem.
    In the meantime would installing both Modmerge AND DLC merger be OK, or would there be a conflict?
    You should run one or the other, not both. The second one will either detect that the DLC is already merged, or corrupt your game.
    Wise_Grimwald
    @Wise_Grimwald This is not true. bgqe checks for the SoD game being modmerged - but DLC Merger can be used just as well for this purpose.
    This is what bgqe checks (and this was the case since v16):
    ACTION_IF ((FILE_EXISTS ~dlc/sod-dlc.zip~) OR (FILE_EXISTS ~sod-dlc.zip~)) THEN BEGIN
    FAIL @5003 /* ~Modmerge is required before mods can be installed on this game. Check the readme for more information and a link to download Modmerge.~ */
    END
    I was told by @CamDawg that this check is valid for DLC Merger just as well.
    I was also told that this check doesn't work for Windows systems because of the file sizes involved.

The only thing I could and probably should change is the explicit mentioning of modmerge.

Please stop stating that bgqe requires modmerge and will not install if DLC Merger was used. It is not true and writing against it is tiring me.

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited August 2019

DLC merger is great except for one thing. Mods like BGQE will not install unless Modmerge has been installed. They look to see if Modmerge has been installed and if it hasn't, installation is cancelled. :(
    I have reported that on the BGQE website to try and get that rectified, however there will probably be other mods with the same problem.
    In the meantime would installing both Modmerge AND DLC merger be OK, or would there be a conflict?
    The mentioned mod performs a simple file existence check. It should work correctly if you merged SoD with either modmerge or DLC Merger.

It could be that Steam auto-update or something else interfered with your game installation. After merging the DLC make sure that sod-dlc.zip (in root folder or "dlc" subfolder) has been renamed to sod-dlc.disabled. If there are both files sod-dlc.zip and sod-dlc.disabled then delete sod-dlc.zip.

jastey wrote: »
    I was told by @CamDawg that this check is valid for DLC Merger just as well.
    I was also told that this check doesn't work for Windows systems because of the file sizes involved.
    File size will only be an issue if the size of the DLC is 2 GB or bigger and you install DLC Merger (or any other WeiDU mod) with the 32-bit WeiDU installer. Currently SoD DLC is slightly below the 2 GB limit, so it shouldn't be relevant (yet).
    jasteyALIEN
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited August 2019
    Thanks for the information everyone. It could well be that Gog updated the game during installation. I have since reinstalled the games so that it doesn't update without my say-so.

Hard to check that sod-dlc.zip (in root folder or "dlc" subfolder) has been renamed to sod-dlc.disabled as I am using an automatic installer, but I will try to get it to pause so that I can check.

Just after the installer had finished checking that I had all the required mods, it crashed out. I hope that wasn't a harbinger of things to come.

I'll try my installation when I have a decent length of time. Busy at present.

sod-dlc.disabled was there and sod-dlc.zip wasn't. :)

The installa was successful. Some mods weren't installed due to missing dependencies, but all in all it is OK. :)

Thanks everyone.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    Gusinda
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Ok, so I'm thinking of attempting to do this with my tablet, but I have three completely separate game folders for each game - BG1EE, SOD, and BG2EE - created by extracting the resources from the OBB folders. Everything is present except the actual game executables, which is how I have modded the games so far.

However, EET seems to require a merge from BG1EE to SOD first, so how would you go about that with the games in completely separate folders?