Skip to content

Who don't you like?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @sarevok57 Yeah, it was definitely because dual wielding wasn't a thing, so he just got extra damage on you. I thought it was death though, thanks for clarifying.
    sarevok57lolienFenrirWolfganger
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    Drizzt's extra damage ability is basically canon. In his writeup in the old Hall of Heroes book he had a chance to kill opponents instantly if he scored more than 5 better than the number he needed to hit. It was probably an attempt to simulate the way he kills mooks instantly in the fiction.

That was what I figured, too. I just read that, and went, "Ohh... boy.".
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited September 2019
    I remember thinking it weird that Drizzt is written as such a brutal killer that wins all fights but officially has 14 strength, which gives no hit or damage modifier
    SCARY_WIZARDBlackravenFenrirWolfganger
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Lord Binky.
    And noober.
    Permidion_StarkQuartzZaghoulFenrirWolfganger
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Lord_Binky_the_Buffoon

Huh. Apparently Binky's lawful neutral. Who'da thunk it?
    SCARY_WIZARDBlackravenFenrirWolfganger
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ilduderino wrote: »
    I remember thinking it weird that Drizzt is written as such a brutal killer that wins all fights but officially has 14 strength, which gives no hit or damage modifier

actually has 13 STR so even better ;)

although in vanilla bg he didn't even use his scimitars for his weapon, he used some sort of "skull icon" ( which most creatures use ) which gave him that whacky extra damage effect
    SCARY_WIZARDThacoBellFenrirWolfganger
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I don't like Aldeth but I hate druids so I am happy to have an excuse to slaughter them.
    FenrirWolfganger
    ilduderino wrote: »
    I don’t like Aldeth and I really don’t like the dialogue choices to deal with the druids

There is no way to side with the druids without sounding like a moron, a choice making further enquiries about what Aldeth has done and/or taking the druids’ side on a more reasonable basis would make sense

Aldeth is basically the villain of The Most Dangerous Game. I'm not sure what questions you needed to ask.
    FenrirWolfganger
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Aldeth is basically the villain of The Most Dangerous Game. I'm not sure what questions you needed to ask.

If you side with him, there's a second side-quest that you pick up from him once you reach Baldur's Gate and he's a LOT more reasonable there. I still don't like the man (especially since I believe he and his fellows DID kill the druid that initially tried to stop them), but I see him more as a "I'm a well-bred proper blue blood noble! How dare these dirt-sniffing, tree-hugging savages try to stop MY RIGHT to hunt these wild beasts for sport as is right and proper!" type. It's not too dissimilar from adventurers or guards who would attack orcs or goblins on sight, even if the humanoid wasn't initially hostile.
    ThacoBellQuartzFenrirWolfganger
    Zaxares wrote: »

If you side with him, there's a second side-quest that you pick up from him once you reach Baldur's Gate and he's a LOT more reasonable there. I still don't like the man (especially since I believe he and his fellows DID kill the druid that initially tried to stop them), but I see him more as a "I'm a well-bred proper blue blood noble! How dare these dirt-sniffing, tree-hugging savages try to stop MY RIGHT to hunt these wild beasts for sport as is right and proper!" type. It's not too dissimilar from adventurers or guards who would attack orcs or goblins on sight, even if the humanoid wasn't initially hostile.

He hunts humans for sport. I don't really see the instigating quibbles over wildlife to be all that significant in the face of that.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669

He hunts humans for sport. I don't really see the instigating quibbles over wildlife to be all that significant in the face of that.

That's not 100% sure though from what you see in game. Could well be he is an ignorant idiot who really didn't know it's druids in animal form.
    ThacoBellQuartz
    jastey wrote: »

That's not 100% sure though from what you see in game. Could well be he is an ignorant idiot who really didn't know it's druids in animal form.

The druids are very much in human form when he tries to recruit you to help him hunt them for sport.

Maybe some initial killing was an honest mistake but it has clearly escalated far beyond that by the time you get involved.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    OK, maybe I need to replay the exact scene in game. In my memory, I thought he is looking for help because the druids threaten him (in human form).
    I could need to replay the scene as well. I'm pretty familiar with the game but at this point I'm not always diligent about rereading the text every time I play.
    They both very clearly want blood. That much I'm sure of.

Aldeth may or may not have phrased his request as "Protection", but you weren't going to just knock the druids out and send him home never to bother them again or anything like that.

But okay, I'll pay more attention next time I'm doing the quest.
    FenrirWolfganger
    Gonna be kind of disappointed if I discover he was completely innocent. Always thought it was a nice touch that even if you do the "right" thing, his brother still comes seeking vengeance. Even villains have families who love them, which is a kind of cool message to spend in the middle of this story about you discovering your heritage as the spawn of murder.
    FenrirWolfganger
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    I'd say Aldeth is 'evil' in the sense that he only looks out for himself. He could be seen as innocent in the Cloakwood encounter since actively hunting druids would have little practical benefit (for himself at least), therefore there would be no reason for him to do it.

However he'll show his true colours if you visit him after you've been framed (assuming you completed his doppelgänger quest), as he'll call the flaming fist on you despite saying you can come to him for help.
    ilduderinoQuartzFenrirWolfganger
    There's little practical benefit to any of his hunting. He's a noble hunting for sport, not sustenance.

The question is whether he gets his jollies by hunting his fellow man, or merely the local wildlife. Even in a fantasy setting where killing "evil" races is often treated as acceptable regardless of circumstance, any goodly hero can be expected to draw the line at killing your fellow human being solely for the joy of killing them.
    FenrirWolfganger