Skip to content

What would you like to see in BG III

Comments

• PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited August 2019
    If we are talking weapons, I am eager to see firearms. Game devs seem to forget that D&D is not necessarily a Europe/japan - Dark ages setting.
    There are actually firearms (more like flintlock pistols) and artillery in the Forgotten Realms, but the gods have conspired to make them unreliable. There's also a campaign called Maztica based on the Spanish conquest of the new world. IIRC Amn takes the place of Spain and the church of Helm plays the part of the Catholic church.

I´ve always wanted to play a mounted arquebusier or dragón de cuera with combat mounted feats and firearms feats.

ED: In the upcoming "BG: Descent into Avernus" (allegedly a prequel of the world in BG3) they seem to have access to the infernal machines fueled by damned souls so maybe now the game will have a more open approach to add new variations in the setting.
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I personally prefer to keep my firearms/steampunk stuff out of my fantasy games, but if it IS included, I'll grudgingly accept it, the same way I grumblingly accept the presence of firearms in Ravenloft.. ;)
  • ValrogValrog Member Posts: 14
    Even though it's not one the names or even classes I used in my playthrough, I want Larion to use the canonical character name/sex/approximate age for CHARNAME. Having characters refer to him only as some abstract person without a name or sex would be very weird, not only for me, but for any new players of the game. They would expect to know the name and sex of the person, as I do - even though I played as a different name and class.

The name is not a problem - I can just imagine that he's like Gandalf - having different people call him by different nicknames. But there has to be a canonical name. It's not necessary to refer to his class, but even if they pick a different class and refer to that, I'm perfectly fine.

I would like some long-living characters to return. An excellent character would be Aerie who, being an elf, is immortal. She's also very important as she bore Adrian's son. He would now be a grownup and could also have some special abilities, having two special parents. I would really like to know what he became.

I would also like to see the impact that Adrian had on Baldur's Gate. How do the places that were affected by him remember him?
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I wouldn't mind if they just refered to Charname as Gorion's ward/The Bhaalspawn. And maybe have like the intro in Knights of the old republic II where you through dialogue can choose how the previous player character was.

Also, I want to be able to dual-wield sword and buckler, not just have the buckler for protection.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    JoenSo wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if they just refered to Charname as Gorion's ward/The Bhaalspawn. And maybe have like the intro in Knights of the old republic II where you through dialogue can choose how the previous player character was.

Also, I want to be able to dual-wield sword and buckler, not just have the buckler for protection.

That's what I've been saying this whole time.
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    That's what I've been saying this whole time.

I must not have heard you as I pondered what a great approach that would be.
  • CrimpsonCrimpson Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2019
    Keep the paper dolls and classic 2D dungeon crawl overview.
  • vyvexthornevyvexthorne Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2019
    6 party members. so many games these days only allow for 4. Also, no overloading us with too many companions. I don't need 30 companions to choose from but only a few stand outs that everyone will end up going with.

Wish:
    An idea I've always had is how fun it'd be to be able to create your own companions but still have them be interesting characters with their own side quests and stories. I believe this could be achieved by simply having the voice ID tied to their companion quests. Have about 12 character voice sets to choose from each with their own unique story. It combines the two things I really like in RPG's.. Having interesting companions with good stories and being able to create my own characters.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    I think BG3 will be great, but I think its important to keep expectations in check. I think if I just imagine DOS2 in Forgotten Realms setting - that alone would be great, so anything more is just a bonus.

My only wish is that we can ride horses like true adventurers...

zpsm3x2f0m69.png
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    I want to revisit known locations, but see them very changed - smoking ruins of Baldur's Gate, fortified Nashkel, new settlement in Larswood, that sort of thing.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it seems game devs don't want us riding horses in these types of games. you can in nwn depending on the module but the only bg style game where i think you can ride horses would be avernum 3. not the remake ruined world as that cut the horses out.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited November 2019
    Artona wrote: »
    I want to revisit known locations, but see them very changed - smoking ruins of Baldur's Gate, fortified Nashkel, new settlement in Larswood, that sort of thing.

A lot of time has passed and some planetary level disasters have happened as well. I would be surprised if some things have not changed :)
    megamike15 wrote: »
    it seems game devs don't want us riding horses in these types of games. you can in nwn depending on the module but the only bg style game where i think you can ride horses would be avernum 3. not the remake ruined world as that cut the horses out.

Well if you can ride horses in Diablo IV there is always hope for BG III :)
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    fluke13 wrote: »
    I think BG3 will be great, but I think its important to keep expectations in check. I think if I just imagine DOS2 in Forgotten Realms setting - that alone would be great, so anything more is just a bonus.
    If D:OS2 in Forgotten Realms is what you want then I'm sure you will get your wish, and from one BG fan to another I am sincerely happy for you.

It's unfortunate we can't all get our dream BG3 and that some of us fans of the original games will end up out in the cold. I guess it's how things work sometimes.
  • SidoniusSidonius Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2019
    The biggest dampers on my excitement for Baldur's Gate III are the changes that have taken place in the Forgotten Realms since 2001.

If Star Wars resembled Faerun, a follow-up to that universe's original trilogy would read as follows:

"Shortly after the events depicted in Return of the Jedi, Luke realizes to his horror that the Emperor's spirit has taken root deep inside his physical form. Despite fighting its corrupting influence for a time, he eventually succumbs to it in spectacularly gory fashion, a reborn Emperor emerging violently from his innards, spraying bloody viscera over a horrified Senate. Imperial double agents proceed to murder Han, Leia, the droids, and overthrow the Republic, reinstating totalitarianism. Boba Fett's still dead, though."

Reviving Bhaal in 5th edition marred the meaning of Baldur's Gate beyond recognition. Killing off Gorion's Ward as they did was deeply disrespectful and undermined every moral theme BioWare had infused into its tale.

Honestly? I hope this IS Baldur's Gate in name only. Give me an "Invasion of the Mind Flayers" module and leave any reference to the series proper where it belongs--in a setting that appreciated it.
    Post edited by Sidonius on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i feel like it's gonna be a Bethesda fallout situation [ besides new vegas as that was obsidian] where i just ignore it and don't consider it canon.
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i feel like it's gonna be a Bethesda fallout situation [ besides new vegas as that was obsidian] where i just ignore it and don't consider it canon.
    Yup, exactly. The vast majority of people who will play (and like) BG3 will be people who have never played the original games and who don't really care about those games. The world moves on. Oh well. Can't really say anything against this, because I myself have been in exactly this situation. I have bought and played The Witcher 3 and absolutely love that game. But I have not played the first two games in that series, have no intention or desire to play them, and honestly don't really give a damn about those two games. Hardcore fans of those first two games will likely consider this to be heresy. But my preferences are what they are and I have no interest in changing them.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    @kanisatha don't get me wrong, what I really really want and what I'll enjoy aren't the same. I guess Im partly in both camps, but bg3 has to be something positive, something better than no game exists at all. Im setting my expectations as D:OS2 in Forgotten Realms so that when I play bg3 I'll be surprised, happy and enjoy it, as opposed to hoping it will be exactly what I want and then be disappointed. I think my generation have permanent disappointment scars and we have to evolve. Back in the day bg2 release, DAO, KOTOR2... those were the good days of sleepless nights excited with anticipation and then having even your greatest expectations exceeded.
    fluke13 wrote: »
    @kanisatha don't get me wrong, what I really really want and what I'll enjoy aren't the same. I guess Im partly in both camps, but bg3 has to be something positive, something better than no game exists at all. Im setting my expectations as D:OS2 in Forgotten Realms so that when I play bg3 I'll be surprised, happy and enjoy it, as opposed to hoping it will be exactly what I want and then be disappointed. I think my generation have permanent disappointment scars and we have to evolve. Back in the day bg2 release, DAO, KOTOR2... those were the good days of sleepless nights excited with anticipation and then having even your greatest expectations exceeded.
    Fair enough. But for me, BG3 being D:OS2 in FR is EXACTLY what I would hate with the greatest of passion, because I consider D:OS2 to be a very crappy game that I will never ever want to play. Just sayin'.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,355
    edited November 2019
    I would love to see skills - besides fighting, magic and thieving - coming to some use.

I still fondly remember Ultima Underworld the Stygian abyss - the first take on a 3 d adventure.

You started with nothing and felt lucky when you pick up a dagger and a torch shortly there after.

Being in a really dark dungeon you had to have some light source. Just keeping track of crafting materials for your light supply was a thing of its own.

Food and rest became factors of its own. Your mana replenished it self. But bringing food and eating well had to be a priority. Rating only when tired, not for spell replenishing.

Weapons and armour where in short supply. Mending and repairing thusly became a skill you had to consider. Low fighting skills meant further regression to your badly damage leather cowl.... Picking up you first tower shield felt like a huge step forward. Not just buying it at the thunder hammer smithy along along with a full plate armour.

Skills like swimming and acrobatics had to be prioritised as well. Otherwise you drowned or fell to into your demise.

The fighting system required some skill with the mouse, and could be vastly improved. But the ideas behind it where brilliant. Taking potshots at the enemy was still a possibility, but required the right terrain.

And lastly talking to NPC’s and being smart was the best (only) way to beat the game.

So a game that could implement the power of a well roundEd party (or character) instead of some squishy mage that meta- and magic abuse your way through the game.

Edit. And btw. there where only a few magical items. And they where hard earned.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Edit. And btw. there where only a few magical items. And they where hard earned.

That is one thing that I do like in my RPGs, that magic items (or at least, powerful magic items) are generally rare and precious. One example I like going back to is good old Varscona in BG1. Despite the fact that you could get it relatively early in the game, it remains one of the most (if not the most) powerful longswords in the entire game, and you used it pretty much from the time you picked it up to the moment you struck down Sarevok with it.

I like it when magic items don't just become "yet more loot to be merched for gold"; by all means, have plenty of generic +1 fodder lying around that are the arms of knights and generals, but I like it when anything more powerful than that is something worth remembering, and anything beyond THAT is the stuff of legends, weapons wielded by deities and demon lords etc. It was one big reason why I liked White Wolf's d20 ruleset for the Lone Wolf setting. :)
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I want to make a Red Dragonborn Paladin :>
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2019
    1. If the end of the game lends itself to a potential sequel, I want Larian Studios to allow us to import into the next game properly, where your interactions/current NPCs carry over in some fashion. BGII's import is sloppy and "canonized" many, many things... Which, while understandable in 2001, would be pretty disappointing nowadays. Mass Effect did it, so can BGIII!

2. Psionics. Yeah, I wanna blow shit stuff up with my mind!

3. Difficulty. I don't want the game to hold your hand. I'm not asking for Darkest Dungeon levels of difficulty and frustration, but yeah.
    5. Be as Minsc, Boo, Drizzt, Noober and Volo free as possible (aka the usual suspects of the cameo galore). Yes, I'm serious.
    @Kamigoroshi I couldn't agree more. The cameos are tiresome. Even seeing Jaheira and Minsc in that weird D&D card deck thing... kinda made me cringe.
    deltago wrote: »
    3. No running around collecting herbs, metal, animal parts.
    4. Branching story that can considerably change the outcome of the game.
    @deltago Ooh these are good ones. Much as I like crafting mechanics, I like them in, say, Minecraft or Terraria... when I tried to play Witcher, it was an immediately turn-off for me. I wouldn't like it much in Baldur's Gate either, not gonna lie.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I'd like to see this game be an actual sequel, or to remove the "3" from the title.
    Marketing people hate @ThacoBell
    Read this to find out how to lose money but preserve artistic integrity!

On a serious note, I totally feel you, but money and marketing reasons are a solid "no" there. Sad reality of the world we live in. I'm glad it's not an actual sequel, not much room for such a thing after Throne of Bhaal.
    1) Animal companions for druids and rangers!

4) ... could we please have utility spells that make a difference back? Light spells that you really need or else you stumble around in dungeons not being able to see two feet in front of you?
    @BelgarathMTH These two have all of my "yes." BG is a little shallow with its "utilities"--Infravision being the most egregious example.
    AD&D rule set.
    @CoM_Solaufein I admire the enthusiasm, and I like 2e as much as the rest of y'all, but this is even more laughable* less marketable than ThacoBell's idea. This would appease a few thousand of us and confuse maybe hundreds-of-thousands of others.

*Was being needlessly flippant, sorry. Explanation a couple of posts down.
    Post edited by Quartz on
    @Quartz " this is even more laughable than ThacoBell's idea."

Okay, uh, screw you too?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    :smile:
    @Quartz I appreciate it.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited December 2019
    1. Good story and character writing. Duh.

2. Good balancing. Something that the DoS games have imo been lacking on. (Meaning that enemy encounters would vary greatly in difficulty in the same area which I found very frustrating. I still haven't been able to finish DoS2 because I got stuck on a boss fight.)

3. Modifiability. One of the underrated trademarks of the series imo is the way to change the gameplay with only little effort. Getting stuck on a boss? Ctrl+J. Want to play an illigal race/class combo? Shadow Keeper. Let me be able to adjust even the most minute things in the options.

4. Sense of humor. A lot of modern RPGs lack in this. But BG is known to be f***ing hilarious at times.

5. If romances: Make them worthy of the series. The ones in DoS2 suuuucked. Tacked on and no story-integration what-so-ever. In an ideal world they'd be on the level of Dragon Age.

6.1 Integration of the original story-line. Yes, this game takes place over a century after the Bhaalspawn story and that one is also finished. But I want some of the old companions to show up, references to the story, etc. Coran and Minsc would be the ideal candidates for a comeback, since thay also are in the comics. Heck, have Coran's son and his gang show up for a quest or something. Other than that, Sarevok would make sense, given that he survives ToB no matter what you do. And what ever else characters could still theoretically be around. Surprise me.

6.2 If possible, introduce a "timeline reconstruction" thingy that Dragon Age: Inquisition had. Basically you fill out some of the choices you made in the previous games and that changes your playthrough. At the very least I wanna be able to choose which ending I had in ToB and the name of Charname.

6.3 DO NOT MAKE CHARNAME ABDEL ADRIAN. If we can't choose who Charname was in our game, just don't mention their name at all. But I am gonna be pissed if Abdel is gonna be there.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I feel the universal love for Abdel is a consensus in the forum :wink:>:)