Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Adul wrote: »
    There was definitely room for a third and final full game after SoA. I'm actually not sure why they rushed it and made the last chapter an expansion instead. Is it known why it happened that way?

it might have been due to interplay losing the rights to 2nd ed. tob would be the last ie game to use 2nd ed rules.
    ThacoBellAdulWise_GrimwaldMontresor_SP
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    Lord Foreshadow even hinted at NWN2... That's spooky
    Wise_Grimwald
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    You have to wonder whether we'd have another incredible BG game if Wizards hadn't prioritized the ubiquity of their new ruleset over their partners' artistic expression for what is realistically probably a very small amount of extra book sales. We'll never know.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldMontresor_SPIsewein
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Wikipedia links to the archived NWN forums where someone had found original outlines for the game. Seems like it was supposed to be a rather different game before time constraints and legal issues turned it into what it is today: https://web.archive.org/web/20090525164258/http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=633312&forum=43
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovIsewein
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I don't really think that they ever meant for us to "Import your BG2 character to NWN' .
    semiticgoddess
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I wonder if NWN was supposed to be 2nd edition at first, or if maybe people working on BG thought it would be.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Charname is a whiny brat.
    kanisatha
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    God-essence privilege will do that to you. :wink:
    Blackbɨrd

only if you play them that way.
    ZaramMaldovarDJKajuruThacoBellWise_Grimwald
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Blackbɨrd
    Charname is whatever YOU make him/her so all you have to do to fix that problem is play Charname differently.
    ThacoBellWise_Grimwald
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Member Posts: 100
    I can understand the mindset that every dialogue option is a list of things rattling around in your character's head that they might blurt out at any moment, and saying the "right" thing is because you decided explicitly against saying something bad or whiny, not because it would be totally out of character for you.
    BlackbɨrdWise_Grimwald
    megamike15 wrote: »

Yes, I do play them that way.
    edited April 2021
    @Blackbɨrd
    Charname is whatever YOU make him/her so all you have to do to fix that problem is play Charname differently.

Post edited by Blackbɨrd on
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    megamike15 wrote: »

Yes, I do play them that way.

Wouldn't that make you a whiny brat then? Since its you making the choices?
    megamike15StummvonBordwehr
    edited December 2019
    @Blackbɨrd

I think that Charname is a ''whiny brat'' by default. By definition a brat is ''typically one that is badly behaved'', ''a person that always gets what they want and the rules are bent in their favor'' and is spoiled/obnoxius.

It is clear Charname is a ''brat'' by default as they don't like/oppose having to share their soul with Jon Irenicus (similar to a child not wanting to share a toy), can't accept that Imoen commited an illegal magical crime and was right to be imprisoned, instead going on some glory misson to ''save her'' instead of just dealing with the proper authorties (cowled wizards) among other actions.

jon was int sharing your soul he takes it and then was leaving you to die. wanting revenge on someone for not only killing your friends but also leaving you for dead is not being brat.

and the way you describe charname makes it seem they are a teenager when they are in their early 20's.
    ButtercheeseThacoBell
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited December 2019
    @Blackbɨrd

I think that Charname is a ''whiny brat'' by default. By definition a brat is ''typically one that is badly behaved'', ''a person that always gets what they want and the rules are bent in their favor'' and is spoiled/obnoxius.

It is clear Charname is a ''brat'' by default as they don't like/oppose having to share their soul with Jon Irenicus (similar to a child not wanting to share a toy), can't accept that Imoen commited an illegal magical crime and was right to be imprisoned, instead going on some glory misson to ''save her'' instead of just dealing with the proper authorties (cowled wizards) among other actions.

that's not how the story goes. i'd ask you if you had even played the game, but suspecting you had, i won't ask you anything but rather make a certain conclusion, which i'll keep to myself.
    SkatanButtercheese
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Unpopular opinion: I like the draft of the original SoA story more. You know... that one in which Imoen is sheduled to find her timely demise in the Asylum. All the pre-Spellhold dreams don't make half as much sense anymore since Bioware retconned Imoen as an afterthought.
    MirandelAdul
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Maurvir wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion: I like the draft of the original SoA story more. You know... that one in which Imoen is sheduled to find her timely demise in the Asylum. All the pre-Spellhold dreams don't make half as much sense anymore since Bioware retconned Imoen as an afterthought.

I'm playing with the Imoen4Ever mod, and those dreams now result in dialog with Imoen when the party wakes up. I have been ecstatic about it, as not only do those dreams have more import, but they feel much more tied into the story. The way Jastey wove all that together is fantastic, and I much prefer BG2 this way.

It's a shame the original plan was to kill her off, because this mod shows how powerful Imoen's presence could have been in chapters 2 and 3, and how those shared dreams punctuate the threat of Irenicus looming over them both.

Seriously, I know this sounds like an ad, but I recommend that mod if this sort of thing bugs you.

It may sound like an ad but it is an ad for an excellent product. SoA bugged the hell out of me from the very first time I woke up in Chateau Irenicus twenty years ago. For me @jastey's mod has fixed pretty much everything that was wrong with the original game and I can't recommend it highly enough.
    StummvonBordwehrBlackravenWise_Grimwaldjastey
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Nope, not for me. Still waiting for the ImoenGone4Ever product.
    Blackbɨrd
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Nope, not for me. Still waiting for the ImoenGone4Ever product.

Well I suppose this thread IS for unpopular opinions. :D
    StummvonBordwehrButtercheese
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Unpopular opinion: Boots of Speed are overrated. All they do is make your characters looks like the are in a movie that has been speeded up. Boots of Grounding are much more useful.
    StummvonBordwehrHalfOrcBeastmaster
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

The opinion is not as unpopular as you think. I hate obligatory "your cute little sister/love of your life hammered into the plot" figure in every BW games. But it's there (always), it's BW's trademark, so while sharing your pain, I applaud @jastey's mods that make it a touch less painful and cringey.
    KamigoroshiWise_GrimwaldjasteyAcifer