Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    BillyYank wrote: »
    DJKajuru wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion (?)
    Dorn and Hexxat could have been replaced by new evil npcs who scheme and plot bit not necessarily murder innocents, that would make evil npcs more popular and players would welcome them aboard even in good parties.

"The Diet Coke of evil."

That was funny, but I wouldn't call guys like Korgan ,Edwin and Sarevok diet coke evil.
    Unpopular opinion (?)
    Dorn and Hexxat could have been replaced by new evil npcs who scheme and plot bit not necessarily murder innocents, that would make evil npcs more popular and players would welcome them aboard even in good parties.
    Unpopular opinion (?)

Now that was a real spoiler for me. I'm playing with Dorn in the party for the first time and wasn't aware that killing innocents was on the agenda. :'( At least I am playing an evil party. [Currently 100% evil.]

It goes to show that you have to be very careful concerning who you have as allies. [The UK went to war to preserve the independence of Poland and it was decades later before they got independence. :'( ] Our ally "The Soviet Union" was no better than Germany, and some would say they were worse.

In that cass I refer to BG2 Dorn, BG1 Dorn is pretty cool for me.
    Aerakar
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited December 2019
    @DJKajuru Good to know. I was thinking of having him back in the party when we meet again, but wasn't sure as I was also considering Edwin.
    With Tamoko now in the party, I don't have room for them both. Of course I could drop Tamoko as I am finding her annoying.
    StummvonBordwehrDJKajuru
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Here's another one: I would spend my entire game with wielding Lilacor.
    ZaramMaldovar
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @StummvonBordwehr Haha, no worries ?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited December 2019
    Adul wrote: »
    Probably unpopular opinion: although I didn't mind the first season of Stranger Things, I hate the fact that due to its popular influence, the term "the demogorgon" has entered the public dictionary referring to a generic horror movie monster instead of the weird giant tentacled baboon thing we all know and love.

I see your point but most historians would be mad at D&D for turning Tiamat into a five headed dragon ("in persian mythology she's kind of a sea dragon, or chaos dragon with water powers, or even a giant sea serpent") .

Well yeah, and the mythological accounts that were written down also probably bastardized the versions that came before. Which is of course fine, that's how stories work, it's just my subjective connection to certain stories and characters that makes it somewhat irritating for me whenever it happens to them.

Which, I realize, is an emotional response—the rational side of my brain understands it's natural progression.

In a way, it's similar to entropy. It's completely natural for things to disintegrate as they age, but when it happens to your house or car—or your body for that matter—it can be a cause for concern.
    Wise_GrimwaldIsewein
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @Adul & @Kamigoroshi Is it odd that I agree with both of you at the same time?
    KamigoroshiAdulWise_Grimwald
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Probably unpopular opinion: although I didn't mind the first season of Stranger Things, I hate the fact that due to its popular influence, the term "the demogorgon" has entered the public dictionary referring to a generic horror movie monster instead of the weird giant tentacled baboon thing we all know and love.

I see your point but most historians would be mad at D&D for turning Tiamat into a five headed dragon ("in persian mythology she's kind of a sea dragon, or chaos dragon with water powers, or even a giant sea serpent") .

bahamut is also more a whale monster then a dragon. but you can thank square for it now being seen as a dragon.
    ThacoBellelminster
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Unpopular opinion: Boots of Speed are overrated. All they do is make your characters looks like the are in a movie that has been speeded up. Boots of Grounding are much more useful.

Boots of Speed are amazing for thieves; otherwise i agree with you. In Bg1 the boots that give +5 bonus to missiles are much, much better for other classes.
    Aerakar
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Being a power/meta gamer I use the cheetahs 9 times out of 10 (sometimes swapping back and forth in the middle of battle with the +AC pierce when needed), but I really like these boots from SoD
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Soft_Feet

Excellent boots for F/Ts, a mage cast web and then run in and start backstabbing/whacking things. They are good, but not super OP as the boots of haste.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I believe in vanilla BG2 the Boots of Speed gave the full Haste effect to its wearer, including the +1 attack per round. Talk about OP!

That was quite the upgrade to the vanilla BG1 version, which really only made you move slightly faster and gave no APR bonus.

The EE version seems to be sort of a middle ground between those two versions.
    semiticgoddessButtercheese
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Skatan wrote: »
    Being a power/meta gamer I use the cheetahs 9 times out of 10 (sometimes swapping back and forth in the middle of battle with the +AC pierce when needed),

Now I'm picturing a fighter in the midst of battle suddenly zipping speedily a fair distance away, sitting down to change his footwear then slowly walking back to the fray. What in the world are that person's enemies thinking after they see that?
    AdulSkatanArvia
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Being a power/meta gamer I use the cheetahs 9 times out of 10 (sometimes swapping back and forth in the middle of battle with the +AC pierce when needed),

Now I'm picturing a fighter in the midst of battle suddenly zipping speedily a fair distance away, sitting down to change his footwear then slowly walking back to the fray. What in the world are that person's enemies thinking after they see that?

:D
    And yet I can see someone doing something similar today. You are driving a tank and have one sort of footwear on. The tank is destroyed so you become an infantryman and need totally different footwear. It might be footwear to protect against frostbite, or it might be jungle footwear.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Isn't it all standard footwear in the army?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I believe in vanilla BG2 the Boots of Speed gave the full Haste effect to its wearer, including the +1 attack per round. Talk about OP!

That was quite the upgrade to the vanilla BG1 version, which really only made you move slightly faster and gave no APR bonus.

The EE version seems to be sort of a middle ground between those two versions.
    My memory might be inaccurate--wasn't it just that there was a bug where the boots only granted 0.5 APR if you had fractional APR? That is, 1.5 would go up to 2, but 2 wouldn't go up to 3.
    StummvonBordwehrAdul
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

Hehehe :D Now picture this, the fighter sees plenty of arrows incoming so he, while hasted, jumps out of the boots of haste and into his boots that protects from said arrows while they are still midair! What would the enemies think of that? And then he switch back again directly after the arrows miss/hit and runs up to the archer in the blink of an eye and starts flailing at them :D
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Can you mix pairs of magical boots and have one on each foot?

So if you have a left Boot of Grounding and a right Boot of Speed on, what would happen? They cancel each other out? You get a reduced bonus to both speed and electricity resistance? The left side of your body gets the full electricity resistance while the right side moves faster than the left (with nasty results I imagine)?
    Given that one shoe is faster than the other, I imagine you would simply trip.
    semiticgoddessThacoBellBalrog99Arvia
    lroumen wrote: »

In a word: No!

However some armies may differ.

https://www.military1st.co.uk/footwear/boots
    lroumenStummvonBordwehr
    JoenSo wrote: »
    Can you mix pairs of magical boots and have one on each foot?

So if you have a left Boot of Grounding and a right Boot of Speed on, what would happen? They cancel each other out? You get a reduced bonus to both speed and electricity resistance? The left side of your body gets the full electricity resistance while the right side moves faster than the left (with nasty results I imagine)?

I don't think so! Having odd boots would completely mess up your co-ordination.
  • BelacRLJBelacRLJ Member Posts: 51
    Boots of speed are useful for kiting fast enemies. Otherwise, there isn't much impact.
    lroumen wrote: »

In a word: No!

However some armies may differ.

https://www.military1st.co.uk/footwear/boots
    wow, that must be horrible for soldier interchangeability.

Hey. it even lists a job in the army that would allow me to keep my allstars on: Cannon fodder
    If troops go to the desert, they wear desert camouflage. The Alpine troops wore white. Jungle troops wear green and brown. That doesn't mean that you are forever changing from desert uniform to jungle uniform when they entered an oasis though. In general the army does use SOME sense. Not a LOT!
    StummvonBordwehr
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited December 2019

Hehehe :D Now picture this, the fighter sees plenty of arrows incoming so he, while hasted, jumps out of the boots of haste and into his boots that protects from said arrows while they are still midair! What would the enemies think of that? And then he switch back again directly after the arrows miss/hit and runs up to the archer in the blink of an eye and starts flailing at them :D

This is why we need the old "no pausing on inventory screen" rule from the original BG. I wish Beamdog could have at least brought it back as an optional toggle. No dungeon master in a live tabletop game would allow players to switch out gear while in the middle of a fight. As all these posts are pointing out, that's just really ridiculous and immersion-breaking. No amount of generous suspension of disbelief gets me around that, unless I'm to imagine that all BG characters have Bewitched-like powers where they can wiggle their noses and switch gear back and forth magically and instantly in and out of Hammerspace.

Hey, my rant turned into another unpopular opinion, didn't it? "It was a mistake to put inventory pausing into BG2."

EDIT: Just a thought: Has anyone ever successfully completed a no-reload on the original BG with the no-pause-on-inventory mechanic intact?
    Post edited by BelgarathMTH on
    SkatanIsewein
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Souls-like original Baldur's Gate challenge? No thanks, I already loose enough hair as is.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101

This is why we need the old "no pausing on inventory screen" rule from the original BG. I wish Beamdog could have at least brought it back as an optional toggle. No dungeon master in a live tabletop game would allow players to switch out gear while in the middle of a fight. As all these posts are pointing out, that's just really ridiculous and immersion-breaking. No amount of generous suspension of disbelief gets me around that, unless I'm to imagine that all BG characters have Bewitched-like powers where they can wiggle their noses and switch gear back and forth magically and instantly in and out of Hammerspace.

Hey, my rant turned into another unpopular opinion, didn't it? "It was a mistake to put inventory pausing into BG2."

EDIT: Just a thought: Has anyone ever successfully completed a no-reload on the original BG with the no-pause-on-inventory mechanic intact?

As far as I've picked up from other discussions, many people play with the house rule of "don't go to the inventory screen during battle", for precisely that reason. You don't go rummaging through your luggage and pull out another pair of boots or a cloak while holding off your enemy with your sword arm...

I do access the inventory screen for potions, because I don't consider 3 quick slots realistic. Why should you be able to access 24 potions of healing, but not 5 different ones?

But of course, accessing inventory *and* pausing at the same time is OP. One or the other. So I guess it's not such an unpopular opinion.

Unpopular opinion: there are very,very few truly unpopular opinions in this thread.
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTHIsewein
    I can well imagine a fighter/mage when his defensive spells wear out or have been dispelled running away to a safe location whilst his comrades continue to fight, so that he can put on some armour. No mage in their right mind would continue to fight without at least some protection.