Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Boxing Thread

1234568»

Comments

  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    Anyone catch Fury-Wallin...?

    Fury was, imo, a bit luck to emerge the fight without another blemish on his record, in part because he sustained a cut that looked nearly as bad as the one Klitschko sustained...and in part because I had Wallin holding him to a draw after banking the early rounds and then hurting Fury badly in the 12th.

    DreadKhan
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,755
    edited September 2019
    GundanRTO wrote: »
    Anyone catch Fury-Wallin...?

    Fury was, imo, a bit luck to emerge the fight without another blemish on his record, in part because he sustained a cut that looked nearly as bad as the one Klitschko sustained...and in part because I had Wallin holding him to a draw after banking the early rounds and then hurting Fury badly in the 12th.

    It was a draw. Everyone in the thread I was participating in at the time had it a draw. We also all agreed Fury would receive a wide decision in his favor despite that. Both were true. Fury did nothing the first 6 rounds and sustained a cut that SHOULD have ended the fight, but the specter of the rematch with Wilder prevented that from happening. The scar tissue on that cut is going to be a huge problem going forward. Beyond that, ESPN blantantly interfered in the match by basically coaching Fury's corner about the cause of the cut.

    GundanRTODreadKhan
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    GundanRTO wrote: »
    Anyone catch Fury-Wallin...?

    Fury was, imo, a bit luck to emerge the fight without another blemish on his record, in part because he sustained a cut that looked nearly as bad as the one Klitschko sustained...and in part because I had Wallin holding him to a draw after banking the early rounds and then hurting Fury badly in the 12th.

    It was a draw. Everyone in the thread I was participating in at the time had it a draw. We also all agreed Fury would receive a wide decision in his favor despite that. Both were true. Fury did nothing the first 6 rounds and sustained a cut that SHOULD have ended the fight, but the specter of the rematch with Wilder prevented that from happening. The scar tissue on that cut is going to be a huge problem going forward. Beyond that, ESPN blantantly interfered in the match by basically coaching Fury's corner about the cause of the cut.

    There were a couple of close rounds early that could have gone to Fury, so I think a close decision victory isn't completely out of the question. That said, the official scorecards were pretty ludicrous- though, as you say-entirely expected.

    Wasn't a fan of ESPN's announcing team taking it upon themselves to advise Fury about the cut, either...Though I think that's also the fault of the commission for not advising the corner prior to that point.

    Fury's eye was a mess, and any heavyweight with a half decent jab will be targeting that from this point forward.

    jjstraka34DreadKhan
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,859
    At least this Fury didn't lose his eye to a cat!

  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    Hope those of you who watch boxing enjoy the Errol Spence-Shawn Porter match taking place tonight. Should be a good fight, and the whole card features even matchups from top to bottom.

    OrlonKronsteenDreadKhan
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,755
    edited September 2019
    This is a great fight, and a total toss-up going into the championship rounds. Just incredibly active close-range fighting. A Spence punch in Round 11 just BARELY forces Porter to one-knee and it will likely be the difference-maker barring a Porter knockdown in the 12th. Spence dominates the 12th and is going to take it based on that. There will certainly be a rematch.

    Spence wins a split-decision. The right call based on the 11th and 12th.

    GundanRTODreadKhanOrlonKronsteen
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    This is a great fight, and a total toss-up going into the championship rounds. Just incredibly active close-range fighting. A Spence punch in Round 11 just BARELY forces Porter to one-knee and it will likely be the difference-maker barring a Porter knockdown in the 12th. Spence dominates the 12th and is going to take it based on that. There will certainly be a rematch.

    Spence wins a split-decision. The right call based on the 11th and 12th.

    Yeah, I thought Spence's surge in the championship rounds was enough to earn him the decision. Really entertaining contest worthy of FOTY consideration.

    Barrios-Akhmedov on the undercard was just about as good, with a last second KD by Barrios securing a razor thin decision on my card.

    DreadKhanOrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    So Golovkin got the decision, but a lot of analysts seem to think he lost. Did any of you guys see this fight (I did not)? Thoughts?

  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    Golovkin-Derevyenchenko was a close fight that could have gone either way. Golovkin did well early, but got hurt by a body shot in the 3rd and from that point forward, it was back and forth btx the two. I called it 114-113 Golovkin, with the deciding edge being a KD scored in the first round. But the same score in favor of Derevyenchenko would have been just as appropriate.

    Really good fight. Well worth checking out.

    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    Well, I hope he retires at this point, though I'm sure he won't.

  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,755
    edited November 2019
    I've never seen a fighter who puts all his chips on one punch like Deontay Wilder. Ortiz was blanking him for 6 and 9/10 rounds, not because he was dominating, but because Wilder wasn't doing ANYTHING whatsoever. But when Wilder connects, he hits with the power of a hydrogen bomb. Ortiz won every second of the fight til 8 seconds left in the 7th, then Wilder sent him into next week. The rest of his fight game is generally crap, but his right hand might legitimately be the most devastating weapon in the history of boxing.

    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    And it seems that he always lands it eventually. Right now it looks like you either have to knock him out first, or box the perfect fight against him, and boxing a perfect fight is almost impossible to do.

  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,755
    edited November 2019
    And it seems that he always lands it eventually. Right now it looks like you either have to knock him out first, or box the perfect fight against him, and boxing a perfect fight is almost impossible to do.

    He has the highest knockout percentage in history (over 95%) so one would THINK that over the course of almost 45 fights, this strategy would eventually catch up to him, but it never really has. I guess it sorta half did against Fury (as it resulted in a draw rather than a win) but he was about 1 second away from winning that fight too, and Wilder's power is the reason why people were so genuinely shocked at Fury being able to get up and finish the fight. But you're right, Wilder has to be on his game for one second, and his opponent has to be on top of their's for 36 minutes in a row. I don't know if Wilder can be considered great, but he is genuinely unique in a way I don't think we've ever really seen. He just sort of stands there measuring for one punch, oftentimes for half a fight or longer. He seems to genuinely not be concerned about being down 6 rounds on the scorecards, because he doesn't believe any of his fights will go the distance. And he is right almost all the time.

    GundanRTO
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I don't know if Wilder can be considered great, but he is genuinely unique in a way I don't think we've ever really seen.

    This describes it perfectly. I was just trying to think of anyone else I'd seen that was comparable and I can't. The closest I can think of at heavyweight is Ernie Shavers, though Shavers may have been a better overall boxer (I can't remember; it's been decades since I watched one of his fights).

    GundanRTO
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    I don't know if Wilder can be considered great, but he is genuinely unique in a way I don't think we've ever really seen.

    This describes it perfectly. I was just trying to think of anyone else I'd seen that was comparable and I can't. The closest I can think of at heavyweight is Ernie Shavers, though Shavers may have been a better overall boxer (I can't remember; it's been decades since I watched one of his fights).

    Shavers had a bit more skill; Wilder is more athletic. I actually think Wilder might be even better as a one punch KO artist than Shavers was in his heyday, though. Very few people are able to scrape themselves off the mat when Wilder hits them cleanly.

    His main problem is becoming over-reliant on the power, though I can see why he wass content to bide his time against Ortiz and simply focusing on defense. It allowed him to lull a better skilled boxer to sleep, and made it easier to find an opening needed to put him to sleep.

  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    As an aside, the last few months have produced a lot of really good boxing matches. Spence-Porter, GGG-Derevyenchenko, Taylor-Prograis, and Inoue-Donaire were all terrific fights to watch.

    So was Figueroa-Ceja on the Wilder-Ortiz II undercard.

    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    GundanRTO wrote: »
    I actually think Wilder might be even better as a one punch KO artist than Shavers was in his heyday, though.

    I agree. He hits even harder and he’s clutch. Shaver’s could never quite get it done in his biggest moments. Sure was entertaining, though. I’m putting him on my YouTube list.

    GundanRTO
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    Ruiz weighed in at a whopping 283. Whatever adjustments he may have planned - if any - we can assume that getting up on his toes and dancing isn’t one of them.

  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,755
    I didn't realize the fight was this early, so I didn't see it as I'm at work. Which is just as well, since Joshua by all accounts pitched a shutout, and Ruiz was never remotely in the fight. And it seemed his weight DID have something to do with it, as Joshua was apparently constantly moving and Ruiz couldn't keep up.

  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    I had it 10-2 for Joshua. Ruiz managed to wobble him in close a couple of times, but by and large a lighter and better prepared AJ controlled the distance with a consistent jab and constant movement. Good, disciplined (though unspectacular) performance by Joshua against an overweight and under prepared Ruiz.

  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,755
    edited December 2019
    I think it's pretty inexcusable on Ruiz's part. He basically admitted he didn't train hard enough and came in far over the weight he should have. I mean.....why?? How can you not take this fight seriously?? Because his own words in his after-fight press conference indicate that was the case. It's a match to retain your title and cement yourself as more than a poor man's Buster Douglas or Hasim Rahman. He doesn't deserve to have this be a trilogy. He didn't even prepare for the fight.

  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    He jeopardized not only his legacy, but the possibility of making tens of millions of dollars over two or three more big fights, had he at least made this fan-friendly. That is enough to secure your family for generations and allow you to help so many people. I don't understand how you cannot find the will to work hard for a few months when those are the stakes.

    jjstraka34
  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    Fury vs Wilder II coming up, ladies and gentlemen...

    Any predictions for the first major fight of the year...?

  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,755
    It's certainly not going to be Wilder by decision.

    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    Although, with some of the judging we've seen in this sport....

  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 802
    So, both fighters are heavier this time. Fury (273lbs) says he wanted to be heavier as he's going for a knockout. Time will tell if the extra weight is deliberate. It sure won't help him if he tries to box. But maybe he wants to make this more of a phone booth kind of fight, in which case the weight could help him.

    As for Wilder, I'm not sure what effect coming in at 231 will have. Coming in lighter in recent bouts has served him well, but maybe he's anticipating some rough stuff on the inside, too. Interesting fight. I'm still trying to decide whether to shell out the $ for it.

  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 8,755
    There isn't much to say about what happened. Fury busted Wilder's eardrum on a rabbit punch, and Wilder spent the next 4 rounds walking around the ring in a absolute haze because he had no equilibrium, Something was clearly wrong with him internally, as I have never seen a fighter that off-balance, and frankly it's kinda criminal Bayless and his corner let it keep going on. He was in another world, and I don't think it was because of how hard the shot was.

  • GundanRTOGundanRTO Member Posts: 59
    Hello, all.

    After the boxing schedule was truncated due to Covid, it's returned (albeit without fans in the arena) in the last couple of months. Tomorrow actually contains a loaded schedule, including a PPV featuring the Charlo twins on Showtime.

    Any fights you're looking forward to seeing in the next couple of months?

  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 11,425
    As someone who only very recently got into boxing, and through footage of old fights I can find online, I'm completely lost. :D

Sign In or Register to comment.