Skip to content

Ausar the Riven (Fighter/Mage Playthrough)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Not sure indents are possible under the editor we're using right now.
  • Adam_en_tiumAdam_en_tium Member Posts: 99
    It's really nice to read you, I wish you would post more often :smile:

Keep going it's really cool. I can only imagine when Ausar will come back to Candlekeep :smiley: !
  • RaoRao Member Posts: 141
    Wow! Welcome to the forum and to this thread! @energisedcamel, I can't tell you how honored I am that one of your first posts on these boards has been to express your appreciation of my work. Thank you so much, not just for reading, but for taking the time to let me know.

So happy to have you here!
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    I don't have much to say except to reiterate how much I'm enjoying what you've done so far. As I said before, I think you have a really vivid writing style and I love the little characterisation details (such as Ausar thinking an elf would never start a tavern brawl, Imoen shooting at imaginary gibberlings after her critical hit). Have you thought much about whether you'll stick with a core party of 6, or if you'll switch people in and out?
    edited April 2020
    You're not only doing excellent storytelling there but also you're bringing unity to the community. Those are very nice first 56 posts for a forum member. I'm glad you're with us, Rao.

Thank you, @JuliusBorisov - glad to be here as well :) It's been so much fun to engage with the folks here and see how much creativity people are still managing to bring to what is, by now, a fairly old game. Long live Baldur's Gate! Long live the Challenges & Playthroughs subforum ;)
    I don't have much to say except to reiterate how much I'm enjoying what you've done so far. As I said before, I think you have a really vivid writing style and I love the little characterisation details (such as Ausar thinking an elf would never start a tavern brawl, Imoen shooting at imaginary gibberlings after her critical hit). Have you thought much about whether you'll stick with a core party of 6, or if you'll switch people in and out?

@energisedcamel, I really appreciate you noticing those little things. Including them is part of what makes the characters more real, at least to me.

As for your question about party stability, I have given a little bit of thought to it, yes. There will probably be a little less stability than in most of my past playthroughs, where I tended to plan a team ahead of time and then not deviate at all, because here each character will have his/her own personality and hence his/her own reasons for wanting to stay in or leave the party. I also want to be cautious about planning too far ahead, because there is always the chance some "non-essential" party member will get chunked (see my play guidelines on page 1 of this thread for more info on this). If I keep running up to threats like Tarnesh without any tactics, then that's bound to happen sooner rather than later haha...Anyway, the short answer: I am hoping there will be a "core" 4 or 5 (with 1 - 2 rotating as helpful/required), but it may not be the core you (or I) expect.
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    Rao wrote: »
    @energisedcamel, I really appreciate you noticing those little things. Including them is part of what makes the characters more real, at least to me.

As for your question about party stability, I have given a little bit of thought to it, yes. There will probably be a little less stability than in most of my past playthroughs, where I tended to plan a team ahead of time and then not deviate at all, because here each character will have his/her own personality and hence his/her own reasons for wanting to stay in or leave the party. I also want to be cautious about planning too far ahead, because there is always the chance some "non-essential" party member will get chunked (see my play guidelines on page 1 of this thread for more info on this). If I keep running up to threats like Tarnesh without any tactics, then that's bound to happen sooner rather than later haha...Anyway, the short answer: I am hoping there will be a "core" 4 or 5 (with 1 - 2 rotating as helpful/required), but it may not be the core you (or I) expect.

I'm glad to hear this! I can't wait to see how you bring other characters to life. Given that some of the NPCs are quite cartoon-ish, I'm sure some will be easier to write than others, given the tone of the story so far (although, I think Ausar is too sensible to join up with a fair few of the zanier characters).

As a fellow player, of course I hope you can avoid companion deaths, but as a reader, it will be great as I am sure it will give you some juicy material to work with >:)
    We'll see how it goes haha...Not everyone is equally open or quick to trust, and so I don't imagine Ausar (with his limited, first-person perspective) will be equally capable of seeing deep into the soul of each of his traveling companions.

His wisdom is also to be desired, so he may be somewhat prone to misinterpret the behavior of others, especially those he doesn't know well. Do you guys also interpret the wisdom stat in that way for role-playing purposes? I hadn't considered it overly much before I started this playthrough.

Hmm...a lot of balls to juggle here haha...We'll see what I can do as more companions start arriving on the scene.