Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    The idea that social distancing and lockdowns have gone on too long and become too significant is the really frightening part. Because it's barely started at all. In certain parts of the country it's not even really taking place yet. Now, ALL over social media, you are seeing an arbitrary 15 day number that is being passed around like gospel, totally divorced from any facts on the ground or exponential spread. For many people, a date has now been set in stone. Nevermind the fact that in two weeks we may be looking at half a million cases.

Maybe it's barely started for some of you, but my county has been on lockdown almost a week now. I'm a bartender, so I make my money day by day. It's been refreshing to have all this free time, I started a Druid/Mage run through BG I've been putting off, but I didn't exactly plan for several weeks of no work in my budget. I do think it will, and should, go on longer though.

If you haven't yet, and you still can, definitely be prepared for an extended lockdown when and if it occurs in your area.

I feel for ya. I'm lucky in that my day job is pretty secure and I can work from home.

This is why I hope congress passes a stimulus bill. I dont need the money, but plenty of people either need it now or will start to need it soon enough.

They didn't pass it, Democrats blocked it because it gives money to buisnesses along with people.

Look, I don't like corporate handouts, but neither do I care about them more than helping people. The bill gives 1,200 per adult and 500 per children. It's fine. Pass it, because people need help now. I said I wouldn't vote for a Republican again if they blocked it. I guess I'll never vote for a Democrat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/03/23/trump-coronavirus-senate-economic-stimulus/

Like I said, it's hostage taking. You are basically admitting it's hostage taking but that it doesn't matter. What possible reason could there be for having a provision in the bill that keeps who gets what money a secret for six months?? And that turns over all discretion over how it gets distributed to the Treasury Secretary??

I don't doubt that corporations will probably need some help. The sneakiness of some of these provisions aren't passing my smell test, however. Especially the non-transparency of who's getting how much and why...
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited March 2020
    Do you think I care about how money is distributed to the Treasury Secretary when I have no way to pay rent in the coming months? I don't want to sound rude but that's where this is going to lead for me and many people I know. Probably common right now across most of the people in my line of work. They blocked an aid package that would have helped me on the basis of things that don't matter to me right now. That's just the reality. Somehow they will find a way to make this the fault of someone else, I'm sure. Well, I'm having none of it.

I'm sure whatever corporate handouts they are giving out are nothing good, but I'm simply willing to pay that price, if that's what it takes. It's not like this is the first time in history that people sneak in b.s provisions to otherwise decent bills. It's sadly commonplace.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The idea that social distancing and lockdowns have gone on too long and become too significant is the really frightening part. Because it's barely started at all. In certain parts of the country it's not even really taking place yet. Now, ALL over social media, you are seeing an arbitrary 15 day number that is being passed around like gospel, totally divorced from any facts on the ground or exponential spread. For many people, a date has now been set in stone. Nevermind the fact that in two weeks we may be looking at half a million cases.

Maybe it's barely started for some of you, but my county has been on lockdown almost a week now. I'm a bartender, so I make my money day by day. It's been refreshing to have all this free time, I started a Druid/Mage run through BG I've been putting off, but I didn't exactly plan for several weeks of no work in my budget. I do think it will, and should, go on longer though.

If you haven't yet, and you still can, definitely be prepared for an extended lockdown when and if it occurs in your area.

I feel for ya. I'm lucky in that my day job is pretty secure and I can work from home.

This is why I hope congress passes a stimulus bill. I dont need the money, but plenty of people either need it now or will start to need it soon enough.

They didn't pass it, Democrats blocked it because it gives money to buisnesses along with people.

Look, I don't like corporate handouts, but neither do I care about them more than helping people. The bill gives 1,200 per adult and 500 per children. It's fine. Pass it, because people need help now. I said I wouldn't vote for a Republican again if they blocked it. I guess I'll never vote for a Democrat.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2020/03/23/trump-coronavirus-senate-economic-stimulus/

Remove the overly BS corporate handout (give money to whoever we want and not tell anyone about it) from the bill and it’ll pass. Even rewrite that part to say exactly where the money is going to go and it’ll pass.

They shouldn’t be allowed to throw whatever the hell they want in a bill and blame it on the other side of it doesn’t pass.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited March 2020
    deltago wrote: »

Remove the overly BS corporate handout (give money to whoever we want and not tell anyone about it) from the bill and it’ll pass. Even rewrite that part to say exactly where the money is going to go and it’ll pass.

They shouldn’t be allowed to throw whatever the hell they want in a bill and blame it on the other side of it doesn’t pass.

I agree, Poison pills are a thing in legislation. @WarChiefZeke has every right to be upset (as does everyone) at what's going on, but that doesnt mean that the GOP arent manipulating the situation at the same time as Democrats are refusing to pass the bill.

There's blame to go around.

Edit - They're also literally still negotiating. McConnell is trying to game the system by holding show votes during the negotiation to strengthen his hand. It's manipulative. Schumer has gone on record saying they're close to an agreement, and might get there by tonight. Holding votes in the middle of that process is disingenuous on the part of the GOP.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2020
    So, the House bill has been revealed, which they will pass. And get no credit for, because apparently only Mitch McConnell is allowed to bring up legislation and the one Pelosi is bringing to the floor doesn't count. No surprise there. But for whoever is interested, this one gives you $300 more dollars immediately, and up to $7500 for a family of 5. But, you know, those damn Democrats:

As one can see it comes with $600 a week to anyone out of work because of the virus ON TOP of existing unemployment benefits. So, again, what happens when the Republicans in the Senate refuse this?? Do they get the same "both sides" media treatment?? Or are they left off the hook entirely because their shitty plan came out 24 hours earlier. This is a bill worth getting behind. It may not be what Europe is doing, but it's a damn better start than anything coming out of the Senate. Meet halfway between this, and you'll have a bill. Unless Republicans have some objection to providing free childcare to doctors and nurses during this crisis, or ensuring that our elections actually happen.

Highly important point as well. This is tied to ONLY your social security number, and does not require your 2018 tax return to be the determining factor in how much money you get. This is imminently reasonable given what we are facing. I can't say I object to ANYTHING in this proposal.

Empty words. Democrats don't have the power to dictate the terms because not enough people voted for them to give them that power. They can only obstruct, and make peoples lives worse, and that's what they chose to do.
    So, the House bill has been revealed, which they will pass. And get no credit for, because apparently only Mitch McConnell is allowed to bring up legislation and the one Pelosi is bringing to the floor doesn't count. No surprise there. But for whoever is interested, this one gives you $300 more dollars immediately, and up to $7500 for a family of 5. But, you know, those damn Democrats:

As one can see it comes with $600 a week to anyone out of work because of the virus ON TOP of existing unemployment benefits. So, again, what happens when the Republicans in the Senate refuse this?? Do they get the same "both sides" media treatment?? Or are they left off the hook entirely because their shitty plan came out 24 hours earlier. This is a bill worth getting behind. It may not be what Europe is doing, but it's a damn better start than anything coming out of the Senate. Meet halfway between this, and you'll have a bill. Unless Republicans have some objection to providing free childcare to doctors and nurses during this crisis, or ensuring that our elections actually happen.

Highly important point as well. This is tied to ONLY your social security number, and does not require your 2018 tax return to be the determining factor in how much money you get. This is imminently reasonable given what we are facing. I can't say I object to ANYTHING in this proposal.

So, basically, they can sign a bill they know for a fact is dead on arrival, knowingly and intentionally cause a deadlock, delay help for people that need it, and by happy circumstance they can say none of it is their fault. Yeah, ok. I know how politics works.

So, basically, they can sign a bill they know for a fact is dead on arrival, knowingly and intentionally cause a deadlock by killing the opportunity for bipartisan agreement, delay help for people that need it, and by happy circumstance they can say none of it is their fault. Yeah, ok. I know how politics works.
    edited March 2020

Empty words. Democrats don't have the power to dictate the terms because not enough people voted for them to give them that power. They can only obstruct, and make peoples lives worse, and that's what they chose to do.

Which bill would you prefer right now, the GOP senate one, or the Democrat House one?

Both sides are obstructing. If the Democrats were to pass a bill like the one reference above, McConnell would not bring it up for a vote (Obstruct). Just as the Democrats are obstructing the Senate bill right now.

I just posted their proposal and they do, in fact, have control of the House of Representatives, which is 50% of the legislative branch. They achieved this by getting more votes and seats than their opponents. They also had far more people vote for their Senators too, but that doesn't equate to seats, which is beside the point. But I have no idea what you are talking about here. Why is the Senate GOP proposal "legitimate" and the House proposal "empty words"?? I have no idea what you reasoning is behind this take. Your stance seems to be Democrats don't get to dictate terms and offer proposals because it conflicts with the narrative you had in your head an hour ago.
    edited March 2020

So, basically, they can sign a bill they know for a fact is dead on arrival, knowingly and intentionally cause a deadlock by killing the opportunity for bipartisan agreement, delay help for people that need it, and by happy circumstance they can say none of it is their fault. Yeah, ok. I know how politics works.

Everything you just said should also apply to the Republican Senate bill, they knowing it would be "dead on arrival" for Democrats. But you are now just willfully pretending that isn't the case, and arguing that the Republicans have special rules applied to their proposals that make them more legitimate. There is no actual reason or explanation for this stance, just that it's "the way it is".

Oh sigh. Nevermind. I retract my question. Your ideology is showing.

You've decided only Democrats can be blamed for "obstruction" when you even agree that the Democrat bill would be dead on arrival because of... wait for it, obstruction by the GOP.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    It's all part of the negotiating people! Something will get passed that neither side loves. Trust me, this is too important for them to play politics as usual...
    edited March 2020
    I mean, is the argument here that Democrats DON'T want to give people money?? Since when?? That has been the entire argument against them for as long as anyone has been alive. Now all of a sudden on March 23, 2020 in the middle of global pandemic they have changed their minds??
    In other news (and this is important, and we'd do well to take heed since Boris Johnson thought he could do this another way as well, and was wrong), the UK is going into full lockdown:

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Ok, yeah, no. This is the kind of thing @Mathsorcerer was concerned about, and Congress absolutey cannout give in on this no matter what happens. We should be RELEASING people from jail for minor offenses right now. In fact, some municipalities are

Sometimes, when I am correct that is actually a *bad* thing.

Have been busy the last few days--changing jobs *again*, but at least this change is my choice and not something being done *to* me. Haven't kept up with the news as diligently as I should but I know that Congress is fighting with itself for the millionth time.
    The Democrats aren't political neophytes. They know damn well the consequences of denying the aid package and starting a partisan fight over the bill would lead to it all being delayed and the people who live paycheck to paycheck- who can't collect one- will suffer in the meantime. That's an acceptable trade-off to them, as long as they can divert the blame onto their political rivals.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Or you know, the Republicans can table legislation that will get passed by both parties like they are suppose to, and it’ll be fine. There is a reason why the senate is a 60 vote pass.

Or you know what, separate the bill. If everyone agrees that everyone should get $1000 per month, pass that, then bicker about how corporations should get bail out money.
    edited March 2020
    The Democrats aren't political neophytes. They know damn well the consequences of denying the aid package and starting a partisan fight over the bill would lead to it all being delayed and the people who live paycheck to paycheck- who can't collect one- will suffer in the meantime. That's an acceptable trade-off to them, as long as they can divert the blame onto their political rivals.

So this is basically saying whoever presents their proposal first wins?? Like a 100-meter dash?? The Democrats are literally offering a plan that would not only give you more money, but more money EVERY week on top of whatever unemployment you are getting from the state, with NONE of the shady corporate hand-outs, but the entire thing is supposed to operate on the assumption that because Republicans came up with their proposal 24 hours earlier that is the default position, and any suggested differences (even when those differences, to any objective observer, do WAY more for you and everyone else) are not allowed??

Why is the Senate inherently more legitimate than the House in this situation in a bicameral legislature?? I seriously do not understand, at all. Are you suggesting that Democrats DON'T want to send massive checks to everyone?? Again, since when?? You seem to be suggesting they are offering their own proposal STRICTLY to delay the process of getting the money out, and that they have no legitimate concerns with either a.) the corporate slush-fund or b.) the idea that the Republican Senate plan is ALSO not sufficient for the individual citizen. And that they are purposefully offering a more comprehensive plan to delay the sending of checks as long as possible.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Trumpa relection is going to be a landslide.

https://youtu.be/KOTZMJMbyxc

Yep...
    https://youtu.be/C_CxhOwdnU0
    edited March 2020
    Well, at this point I just give the fuck up on this subject. We are just sitting here with two people IGNORING that there are two equal parts of the Legislative Branch and pretending the Democrats aren't putting forth their own plan, which I posted and anyone can read. But theirs doesn't count and isn't legitimate because "reasons". It's not the same as ignoring the threat of the virus, but it's the exact same mentality.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited March 2020

• The bill they blocked would make people's lives worse if it passed
    • This is an extremely ironic complaint after McConnell spent six years obstructing everything the Dems tried to do.

Anyway, you can't really demand that only one side compromise and the other gets everything they want, but I do look forward to your condemnation of Mitch McConnell when he obstructs the House bill.
    edited March 2020
    To sum up Trump's briefing: Fauci has clearly been phased out of this process, and the capitalistic death cult has taken over. It's hard to even really put a measure on how screwed we are at the moment. Whether willing or not, we're now all part of suicide pact. Governors, our nation turns it's lonely eyes to you. Because we have Nero in the White House.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    jjstraka34, I agree I listen to part of the briefing, and we little people are so going to die in numbers. My wife who works in health care and major health problems will go first and me most likely 2 weeks later since I've have health problems.
    jonesr65 wrote: »
    jjstraka34, I agree I listen to part of the briefing, and we little people are so going to die in numbers. My wife who works in health care and major health problems will go first and me most likely 2 weeks later since I've have health problems.

He compared it to car crashes. You know what DOESN'T happen in a car crash?? The crash doesn't cause 4 or 5 other people to then get in car crashes 10-14 days later, and so on and so forth down the line. Your wife is on the front lines and I salute her, and I wish you good luck in avoiding this until we have some sort of treatment. Not that it will be easy when the President is basically on TV saying everyone needs to move on with their live as quickly as possible. This is like a Twilight Zone episode.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    The only good thing at least right now, is we live in Arkansas not New York so hopefully our governor keeps everything non essential closed since the state director of health said it could be 6 to 8 weeks before it peaks here.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

You should complain to your Republicans who are trying to pass trash through the Senate. Now is not the time for a corporate cash grab.

They are starting the partisan fight. They wrote this trash bill without any Democrat input. They are wrong. Chew them out.

Dems should absolutely not sign on to this crap.
    edited March 2020
    The bill they blocked would make people's lives worse if it passed
    This is an extremely ironic complaint after McConnell spent six years obstructing everything the Dems tried to do.

Anyway, you can't really demand that only one side compromise and the other gets everything they want, but I do look forward to your condemnation of Mitch McConnell when he obstructs the House bill.

Please tell me how a couple thousand dollars for my household where nobody can currently work would make my life worse. It wouldn't, and that's a ridiculous proposition.

I literally don't care at all about what McConnell did years ago. I don't care about which party did what. I care about the fact that I can't work for the foreseeable future and can't earn money. Democrats have refused a perfectly acceptable amount that would have greatly helped my family in exchange for the ability to blame Trump with their own bill that is designed to fail after how they have acted. Their intentions are not saintly and concerned for the people, but I'm sure I can't convince your lying eyes of this fact.
    edited March 2020

So this is basically saying whoever presents their proposal first wins?? Like a 100-meter dash?? .

It's not about who wins. You are so concerned with Democrats looking better than Republicans that you can't see that yes, the timing is extremely important, because people don't have enough food now, not later. They can't pay rent now, not later. The political reality is that they can not ask for Heaven and Earth in their bill and receive it, and they know it. They are putting up a pointless fight to grandstand in order to bolster their image at the expense of the well being of people. You know it, and I know it.

As an aside, I object to the Democrat bill because it demands a 15$ minimum wage to receive aid for your company, and is just a laundry list of their own pet projects that is all just bait to try to get it shot down. I mean, isn't that the Democrats own objection? It is fundamentally unserious, and doesn't give me much more anyway. The small buisness that I work for simply can't afford 15$ for everyone and will likely go out of buisness when this is said and done. Maybe there is a small business provision in there, I admittedly only read the article and not the bill despite my newfound free time.

https://www.axios.com/nancy-pelosi-coronavirus-stimulus-proposal-d7b4a9a0-610a-4324-a07b-6bb64e1f5c81.html
    Death cult. Straight, no-chaser, this is Heaven's Gate and People's Temple shit:

It's getting more and more terrifying to be correct every 5 or 6 hours.