Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    Shadowheart might be a chosen name and not her birth name (at least I hope :smiley: )

It would be much worse if she picked that as a chosen name lol
    Just wait until you meet her siblings: Firespleen and Waterbladder.

They don't talk about cousin Bladderwort.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Shadowheart might be a chosen name and not her birth name (at least I hope :smiley: )

Earthbrain? Lightningspine? Windgut? (The last name was obviously given to a second cousin twice-removed who hangs out too much with the Jansen clan.)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Zaxares wrote: »

Earthbrain? Lightningspine? Windgut? (The last name was obviously given to a second cousin twice-removed who hangs out too much with the Jansen clan.)

I am more inclined her missing relatives to be named Voidbrain, Aetherpancreas and Airappendix. Oh, and Earthrectum of course.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited July 2020
    Or maybe she was an unwanted child and her brothers and sisters do not, so they have names you cannot use as the title in a book with a shirtless vampire guy in the cover. Time will tell.
    edited July 2020
    Ok, I was joking but there´s a book with a shirtless guy in the cover and Shadowheart in the title for real :D

51IQvC7o0hL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I think this explains a lot about the name...

kuvuuxs6edq6.png

Post edited by PsicoVic on
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293

Siblings? I'm personally dreading meeting the Father. He's probably got some crazy name like Bruce-Moon-Autumn-milkshake_lung.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    And here I'm sitting in Sweden where names like Bear and Wolf and Stone and Path is common and feeling targeted :(
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    So... August is live.. who opts for Early Access? I'm curious how many of us will be intrigued enough to try BG3 in EA. I admit I'm tempted, but on the other hand I don't want to spoil too much of the story.
    If Sweden does not name his children with some internal organ nomenclature tied to an abstract construct to objectivize a particular spectrum of electromagnetic waves; you`re good.
    Zaxares wrote: »

Speaking of silly names...

https://youtu.be/RFHlJ2voJHY
    Cahir wrote: »
    So... August is live.. who opts for Early Access? I'm curious how many of us will be intrigued enough to try BG3 in EA. I admit I'm tempted, but on the other hand I don't want to spoil too much of the story.

If it EAs on Steam I'm considering it.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    edited August 2020
    @scriver I’m definitely considering it as well. I would have to do it on Stadia though as my Laptop is not gonna have to specs to run the game on its own lol
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    I'm not touching this game until its entirely complete and every single aspect of it has been analysed and scrutinised and its basically put through the mortuary for a thorough postmortem.

And if it looks any good then, I'll maybe buy it. I'm not buying anything from Larian blind because I've been burned twice, I'm not risking a third.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I'm not getting it because, although I think it will probably be exceptional, I'm just not interested in half-playing a game. I'll enjoy the full experience at launch.
    edited August 2020
    In my experience with EA it´s good because you give a lot of feedback to the devs and help tailor the game even it´s only a tiny portion, but you usually lose the savegames when a new patch comes (so you have to start from the beginning) and many things change every time so it can be tiresome.

It´s also a little disappointing when you realize that some things you enjoyed in the EA finally do not make it to the final game.
    I remember in the EA of DoS2; when you stole something the merchant realizes he/she missed something and called for backup so half the neighborhood is looking for you, the thief, not only the merchant. It was more difficult to avoid.
    When I finally get to play the release version that did not make the cut and after tasting the other option I always had this feeling of disappointment every time I used my thieving skills in the game.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    Most likely I will not buy into EA.

Sure, early access allows you to provide feedback, but the gripes I have about the game have seemingly been set in stone already and are unlikely to change.

Pricing will also be an issue. Haven't seen any yet, but COVID hasn't exactly been kind to my financial situation regardless.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    Most likely I will not buy into EA.

Sure, early access allows you to provide feedback, but the gripes I have about the game have seemingly been set in stone already and are unlikely to change.

Pricing will also be an issue. Haven't seen any yet, but COVID hasn't exactly been kind to my financial situation regardless.
    Same here on all these points. I don't have any expectation that any of my concerns will get addressed through EA, so what's the point? And whereas I usually buy games I like at full price, as a form of reward to that developer for making a game I like, that's not applicable here at all. I won't pay a penny more than 50% for this game, and more likely will wait 'til it's 60+% off.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I sincerely doubt I will buy EA, unless there's a big downtime of other gaming titles to keep me occupied and I have too much free time to spare. More likely I'll wait for a sale since I have a nasty habit of never actually finishing any new games I buy, so if I progress around 50% it feels better to pay ~70% :D
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2020

Even if I don't play it during Early Access, I still plan to buy it.
    A.) I'll eventually play it once it's fully released, and
    B.) I want to do whatever small part I can to help WOTC see that there's a market for D&D video games.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570

Pretty sure I wont do early access, it hasn't been a good experience for me in the past. I'm also not interested in shaping the game really, as the game seems more impressive with each update. And the interviews with team members clearly show they are thinking deeply about this game.

TBH, despite my sky-high positivity about this game, I might not even play it at release. Of the big 3 BG-type games, I played both Pathfinder and Pillars at release, and kind of wish I had waited. Whereas I discovered Original Sin well after its release and was immensely pleased with that experience.

Something about single-player CRPG's in this day and age, if you can afford to be patient and wait to play them after the DLC is out, the experience seems to be much better.
    edited August 2020
    That´s only true about some indie (some of them former indie) studios like Larian, Obsidian, Inxile, Amplitude , etc that seems to care about the games they made, and usually spend time after the release improving the game, developing patches and fixes, fine-tuning the game and creating "Definitive editions", "Reanimated editions" "Ultimate editions" (many of them they give for free to the owners of the game). offering new game modes or DlCs, so the real final product is much better than it was at release.

I found many studios launching beta versions at release, only to forget about the game 6 months later, leaving you with the beta version of the game forever unless the modding community does anything about.
    Oh well.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Sad news but they should take all the time they need to make sure this game will be awesome ?
    Parents in BG3 be like...

117177128_2924247471018641_7730249275615646613_o.jpg

4ald9p.jpg

edited August 2020
    "My name is Shadowheart"
    "Shadow...Heart?"
    "yes"
    "Is that your birth name or a nickname?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "Well, is that the name your parents gave you?"
    "Look, can we just move on?"
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Taserface
    Well, my computer did a horrid wilting on me so depending on how that goes I guess my EA participation choice was made for me.
    That`s bad, sorry about that, mate.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    scriver wrote: »
    Well, my computer did a horrid wilting on me so depending on how that goes I guess my EA participation choice was made for me.

Every new adventure starts you off fighting bugs...