Skip to content

Absolutely useless facts...

1235»

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2020
    Morale of the story: eat enough banana splits and they will eventually split your atoms.

Or maybe they build your resistance? Eat bananas, survive the holocaust!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Next time Armageddon happens someone better tell the antichrist that bananas work better than lemon candy in nuclear reactors. :)
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    shabadoo wrote: »
    Banana trees "walk". Their shallow root system will actually pull the trunk from their original position. They can move several feet over Their lifetime.

Cool. I'd like to see a banana Ent.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Arvia wrote: »
    shabadoo wrote: »
    Banana trees "walk". Their shallow root system will actually pull the trunk from their original position. They can move several feet over Their lifetime.

Cool. I'd like to see a banana Ent.

Sounds like a tasty ice cream treat they'd whip up at Dairy Queen!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    This spiky, walking worm-like creature that appears as if it was ripped right from the Monster Manual is known as Hallucigenia, which walked the Earth during the Cambrian era, roughly 500 million years ago.

uzxbaga2cn4i.jpg
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    This spiky, walking worm-like creature that appears as if it was ripped right from the Monster Manual is known as Hallucigenia, which walked the Earth during the Cambrian era, roughly 500 million years ago.

Originally the scientists that first studied hallucigenia thought it walked on the spikes and had it upside down and back to front.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I just discovered something fascinating about ropers (the rocky monsters that pretend to be stalagmites and attack you with tentacles and bites if you get too close). In 5th edition, ropers have 16 Wisdom! They are VERY wise. For comparison, here are some other creatures in 5E with a similar Wisdom score:

Sahuagin Priestesses: 14 Wisdom
    Githzerai Monks: 14 Wisdom
    Flumphs ("beings of great intelligence and wisdom"): 14 Wisdom
    Druids (generic NPC stat block): 15 Wisdom
    Lizardfolk Shamans: 15 Wisdom
    Ancient Silver Dragons: 15 Wisdom
    Unicorns: 17 Wisdom
    Drow Priestesses of Lolth: 17 Wisdom

So ropers are wiser than flumphs, but less wise than drow priestesses of Lolth.
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Morale of the story: eat enough banana splits and they will eventually split your atoms.

During the eighties, in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea you didn't prescribe potassium supplements when you prescribed diuretics (meds that make you pee loads) for heart failure - they ate so many bananas and sweet potatoes their potassium was always on the high side.

I have absolutely no idea if this is still true.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    A useless formula for the area of a triangle:

Given three lines in the plane (no two parallel), there are four different circles tangent to each of the three lines. The product of the radii of those circles is the square of the area of the triangle formed by the lines.

I've used a lot of different formulas for the area of a triangle in the course of solving math problems. This ... isn't one of them.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    kiwidoc wrote: »

During the eighties, in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea you didn't prescribe potassium supplements when you prescribed diuretics (meds that make you pee loads) for heart failure - they ate so many bananas and sweet potatoes their potassium was always on the high side.

I have absolutely no idea if this is still true.
    Interesting. I take spironolactone, a sodium-specific diuretic, so potassium supplements or too much potassium-rich food could actually poison me. I drink pickle juice every day to keep my sodium up.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    @deltago; When I read that headline my first thought was how funny it is that a cat surviving a visit to the vet is newsworthy in Canada. After reading your post it seems the cat itself is the newsworthy bit.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2020
    The Don River in Toronto was once so polluted that, when it was learned that the train carrying Princess Margaret would be stopping along its banks, officials were sent into a state of panic. Eventually, upon realizing that they could not fix the pollution in time, officials arranged for chlorine and perfume to be dumped into the river upstream. This would be timed to occur exactly when it was needed. In the end it worked and the Princess was left unaware of just how bad the stench of the river normally was.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    More an absolutely useless definition than an useless fact but...

flqpf9rv1iev.jpg
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    A good way for DMs to handle players attempting impossible tasks:
    Player: I'll try to jump to the moon.

DM: Okay, make me a DC 5000000 Jump check, on which a 20 doesn't guarantee success.

Much better than simply saying they can't do it.
  • JankotJankot Member Posts: 6
    Sperm is pushed out of the scrotum at 18 km/h.
    I really don't know why you need it.) Whatever.