Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I wish politics was less interesting.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    semiticgod wrote: »

I wish religion was less interesting too.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Balrog99 wrote: »

It isn't that interesting, hence why every child either needs a coloring book or is counting down the minutes til whatever service they are at ends. It's repetitive and dull. I used to mentally cross out portions of the bulletin to keep myself occupied. At least being an altar boy required some level of engagement and responsibility. But a regular service?? It's like watching paint dry at the same time every week.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

It isn't that interesting, hence why every child either needs a coloring book or is counting down the minutes til whatever service they are at ends. It's repetitive and dull. I used to mentally cross out portions of the bulletin to keep myself occupied. At least being an altar boy required some level of engagement and responsibility. But a regular service?? It's like watching paint dry at the same time every week.

I have been inside a church less than 5 times in my life. I wasnt even baptized. I know a decent amount about religion through cultural osmosis, but most of that's probably wrong...
    edited September 2020

I have been inside a church less than 5 times in my life. I wasnt even baptized. I know a decent amount about religion through cultural osmosis, but most of that's probably wrong...

Actual church services are more akin to a learned ritual like washing dishes than any form of entertainment. I can only speak to Catholic and mainstream Lutheran services, but it's 75% repeating memorized lines and the other 25% following along with a hymnal.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549

Kinda funny, I spent the first fourteen years of my life watching over the children in the nursery in whichever church I happened to be in. Taking care of their children while dealing with their disapproval of me. The next year they would drag me to church after church to cure me of my illness, my "evil". They still kept me in the nursery to watch over their children. My brother did drugs in church, was a bully everywhere else pretty much but they loved him, me the had to cure, had to fix. Religion isn't god, isn't good, it is a nightmare.

I hope and believe you are being facetious.

And I believe that you are just naive.

Isn't there a separation between church and state, isn't this a thread centered on the workings of state?

I am not out to rustle feathers, just please if we are going to start a discussion of religion, can we do it in another thread that I can ignore?

Kinda funny, I spent the first fourteen years of my life watching over the children in the nursery in whichever church I happened to be in. Taking care of their children while dealing with their disapproval of me. The next year they would drag me to church after church to cure me of my illness, my "evil". They still kept me in the nursery to watch over their children. My brother did drugs in church, was a bully everywhere else pretty much but they loved him, me the had to cure, had to fix. Religion isn't god, isn't good, it is a nightmare.

Isn't there a separation between church and state, isn't this a thread centered on the workings of state?

I am not out to rustle feathers, just please if we are going to start a discussion of religion, can we do it in another thread that I can ignore?

I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Not surprised though. Sorry I brought the subject up.

I'm not wrong about it being interesting, but I guess some subjects are better left alone...
  • ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    Religion is interesting the religious fanatics are not.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Religious fanatics are interesting, in a 'What the hell is wrong with you?' kind of way, to crib from Jaheira.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Speaking of the ultra religious, what's Jerry Falwell Jr doing these days with that extra $30M payday he took (tax free) to leave Liberty "University". Hiring more pool boys?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Actual church services are more akin to a learned ritual like washing dishes than any form of entertainment. I can only speak to Catholic and mainstream Lutheran services, but it's 75% repeating memorized lines and the other 25% following along with a hymnal.

You have been to what are known as the most boring kind of services possible. My sympathies.

@_Nightfall_ I hate that you went through that. Please do not paint us all with the same brush. Not everyone uses religion as an excuse for their bigotry or to spread hate.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

I went with a Catholic friend to church once, it was very awkward. I had no idea when to stand up and say the lines. It reminded me of something like community theater. Everyone else had the routine down.

I went with a Catholic friend to church once, it was very awkward. I had no idea when to stand up and say the lines. It reminded me of something like community theater. Everyone else had the routine down.

You aren't wrong. It's all pageantry. People likely would not believe how many different robes a priest has in the vestibule, but it is WELL over two dozen, to be used only on certain dates. The whole thing is "sit, stand, kneel" in varying orders. And yes, if you haven't done it every Saturday Night/Sunday morning since you were five, you would have no clue what is going on, whereas if you have, it's no different than riding a bike. You just......do it.
    edited September 2020
    Today is the biggest polling day since the conventions ended, and it is almost all saying the same thing across the board, which is Biden somewhere in the neighborhood of a 7-8% lead. If Trump's message about Portland and Kenosha is getting through, there isn't any evidence of it yet.

Unfortunately, Nate Silver also put this out, and it makes you almost sick if you believe everyone should have an equal say with their vote. Because Republicans have a massive built-in handicap (using golf terms) and Democrats basically have to win the popular vote by 5% to stand better than a coin-flip chance of winning:

• BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited September 2020
    Today is the biggest polling day since the conventions ended, and it is almost all saying the same thing across the board, which is Biden somewhere in the neighborhood of a 7-8% lead. If Trump's message about Portland and Kenosha is getting through, there isn't any evidence of it yet.

Unfortunately, Nate Silver also put this out, and it makes you almost sick if you believe everyone should have an equal say with their vote. Because Republicans basically have a massive built-in handicap (using golf terms) and Democrats basically have to win the popular vote by 5% to stand better than a coin-flip chance of winning:

It is absolutely wrenching to know the differing standards and unequal consequences facing the country right now. Trump is actively harmful to institutional norms that have defined American Democracy for the past 200+ years. Democrats arent. Democrats also have to win running away in order to actually beat Trump due to a system that creates an inequality in voting power.

The Selzer poll that released today is pretty good news. 8 points to Biden. The Monmouth PA poll is the bad bad news, where Biden is in a much tigher race to win a swing state like PA.

Even if Democrats do only win by 4 points, and thread the needle on the EC - Trump's corrosive attitude towards norms will give the system a huge shock when he refuses to honor the results of the election. It's patently absurd that Democrats need to win in a landslide in order in order for there to be a normal transfer of power.

Unfortunately, Nate Silver also put this out, and it makes you almost sick if you believe everyone should have an equal say with their vote. Because Republicans basically have a massive built-in handicap (using golf terms) and Democrats basically have to win the popular vote by 5% to stand better than a coin-flip chance of winning:

It is absolutely wrenching to know the differing standards and unequal consequences facing the country right now. Trump is actively harmful to institutional norms that have defined American Democracy for the past 200+ years. Democrats arent. Democrats also have to win running away in order to actually beat Trump due to a system that creates an inequality in voting power.

The Selzer poll that released today is pretty good news. 8 points to Biden. The Monmouth PA poll is the bad bad news, where Biden is in a much tigher race to win a swing state like PA.

Even if Democrats do only win by 4 points, and thread the needle on the EC - Trump's corrosive attitude towards norms will give the system a huge shock when he refuses to honor the results of the election. It's patently absurd that Democrats need to win in a landslide in order in order for there to be a normal transfer of power.

It's not just that one poll, it's been an exceptionally good day in this regard for Biden. YouGov has him at +11. Quinnipiac has him at +10 among LIKELY, not just registered voters. And even Rasmussen has him at +4, which has a deliberate R-slant.

But the scenario is shaping up to be pretty obvious. The numbers show more Democrats are going to be voting by mail. If there is ANY uncounted ballots on election night, Trump is going to declare them null and void in his mind and declare them illegitimate. So yes, not only from a technical standpoint do Democrats have to basically blow him out in vote totals (and make no mistake, 5% is a blow-out in this day and age), but they need to do so to make sure Trump can't mold the media narrative into "Democrats stole it with millions of mail-in ballots", which is what we've been screaming he is trying to do for the last month. It's like requiring a basketball team to win by 20 points to get a victory, or else the opponent wins by default.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,573

It's not just that one poll, it's been an exceptionally good day in this regard for Biden. YouGov has him at +11. Quinnipiac has him at +10 among LIKELY, not just registered voters. And even Rasmussen has him at +4, which has a deliberate R-slant.

But the scenario is shaping up to be pretty obvious. The numbers show more Democrats are going to be voting by mail. If there is ANY uncounted ballots on election night, Trump is going to declare them null and void in his mind and declare them illegitimate. So yes, not only from a technical standpoint do Democrats have to basically blow him out in vote totals (and make no mistake, 5% is a blow-out in this day and age), but they need to do so to make sure Trump can't mold the media narrative into "Democrats stole it with millions of mail-in ballots", which is what we've been screaming he is trying to do for the last month. It's like requiring a basketball team to win by 20 points to get a victory, or else the opponent wins by default.

FWIW, many states count absentee/mail-in ballots ahead of time. Obviously some proportion arrive closer to election day and are counted on election night or thereafter. But the large majority -- in certain states -- will already be counted, thankfully. So I think this doomsday scenario is a little overblown.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    What do you all think the odds are about Trump accepting or rejecting a Biden victory? If you had to bet on it, what would you put your money on?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Trump will reject it, no matter what. Any vote against him was stolen, fraud, or done by an illegal immigrant. The real question is if he will have enough support to avoid being ousted from the WH in the event of his loss.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    What do you all think the odds are about Trump accepting or rejecting a Biden victory? If you had to bet on it, what would you put your money on?

Figuring he is suing states (such as Montana) who are changing their mail in voting options, he is going to reject any loss until those civil suits go through the courts.

He will never concede defeat. He will always have an excuse on hand.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,573
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Trump will reject it, no matter what. Any vote against him was stolen, fraud, or done by an illegal immigrant. The real question is if he will have enough support to avoid being ousted from the WH in the event of his loss.

Yep, more or less agreed with this take. I think Trump will likely bluster like a madman at just about any loss result -- even a blowout. I'm not worried that he will be able to do anything to overturn the election. I don't want to downplay the norm-breaking he has done, but he's also been terribly unsuccessful at just about every extra-constitutional effort he's tried.

If anything, it will work out for the Trump family in the long run. His family and their hangers-on can claim robbery and then get lucrative media gigs for decades. I think the larger problem is highlighted by the fact that a significant chunk of the conservative base considers Democratic victory to be illegitimate, regardless of the evidence or circumstances. That's something that's going to plague this country long after Trump.
    So, as far as I know, this was supposed to be the check when Trump's "payroll tax holiday" took effect. The verdict from my end?? Nothing changed. I had the exact same amount taken out as I usually do, and basically the exact same amount of money being deposited. As was mentioned before, this is ENTIRELY dependent on employers going along. Frankly, I'm glad they didn't. #1.) I don't need it and #2.) I don't have any interest in having it taken out in bulk next year. Will he pay a price for his obvious charade?? One would think people would notice that their checks are, in fact, not bigger.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549

I'm sorry you had to go through all that. Not surprised though. Sorry I brought the subject up.

I'm not wrong about it being interesting, but I guess some subjects are better left alone...

You have been to what are known as the most boring kind of services possible. My sympathies.

@_Nightfall_ I hate that you went through that. Please do not paint us all with the same brush. Not everyone uses religion as an excuse for their bigotry or to spread hate.

Yeah, I just talk too much, over share too much.

Trump go quietly into the night? Not bloody likely he will accept it, nothing about the last four years suggests that it is even a remote possibility.
    A bigger concern of mine is the reaction of his gun toting worshipers. I can’t really see them going quietly into the night either.

Just curious. I was going through his administration, how many appointed people does he have and how many acting people?
    edited September 2020

Yeah, I just talk too much, over share too much.

Trump go quietly into the night? Not bloody likely he will accept it, nothing about the last four years suggests that it is even a remote possibility.
    A bigger concern of mine is the reaction of his gun toting worshipers. I can’t really see them going quietly into the night either.

Just curious. I was going through his administration, how many appointed people does he have and how many acting people?

Many of them are acting, and far beyond the legally allowed time-frame. It has been a trademark of this Administration to avoid Senate approval, even though they could ostensibly push through anyone they wanted anyway. Another power move that says "we can break any norm, nothing can stop us."

Case in point is Chad Wolf, the Acting DHS Head who was responsible for the secret police in Portland. Has never been confirmed by a vote of duly elected Senators. They don't even make an attempt to do so.
  • ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    Does anyone know of a good hair salon I need to get my hair washed.
    Æmrys wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good hair salon I need to get my hair washed.

Ask Nancy Pelosi... ;)
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    So, as far as I know, this was supposed to be the check when Trump's "payroll tax holiday" took effect. The verdict from my end?? Nothing changed. I had the exact same amount taken out as I usually do, and basically the exact same amount of money being deposited. As was mentioned before, this is ENTIRELY dependent on employers going along. Frankly, I'm glad they didn't. #1.) I don't need it and #2.) I don't have any interest in having it taken out in bulk next year. Will he pay a price for his obvious charade?? One would think people would notice that their checks are, in fact, not bigger.

My wife works for the VA system and they are start the Free Holiday Tax in mid September and that includes a lot of other Federal Programs also. Now my 2 oldest sons work for our local school as teachers and the school let them know they are not going to do it. The accounting software can't handle it and trying to get the money from the employees Jan 1, 2021 will be to hard along with the penalties if it is late.
    It's now gotten to the point where Trump can just stand up in front of reporters and essentially encourage his supporter to vote twice (as some kind of roundabout attack on mail in voting), and the Attorney General won't stipulate in a television interview that voting twice is a crime. The only operation underway now is chaos. We've now learned that the CDC is telling states to "prep" for an imminent vaccine in the last days of October. No one is buying this. But the harm they are causing by this OBVIOUS election ploy, in a matter this urgent, can never, ever be forgiven or excused. If the Trump Administration, in an effort to hold onto power, rushes a vaccine to market, it will shake all confidence the public has in a health care solution to COVID-19 that hasn't already be subsumed by his anti-mask cult.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,323
    It's now gotten to the point where Trump can just stand up in front of reporters and essentially encourage his supporter to vote twice (as some kind of roundabout attack on mail in voting), and the Attorney General won't stipulate in a television interview that voting twice is a crime. The only operation underway now is chaos.

One reason for this relates to the previous discussion about accepting the election. If Trump wants to dispute the election results, then setting up as many potential arguments as possible will be helpful to him - it doesn't really matter whether attempts to defraud the voting system are by his supporters.

Trump has in the past given a nod and a wink to the use of violence on his behalf and the possibility he will do that again as part of his campaign of misinformation concerns me. Telling his supporters something along the lines of they need to take action to prevent Democrats fraudulently voting could easily result in widespread violence.