Skip to content

[MOD] Golem Construction for Spellcasters

Comments

• polymorphedsquirrelpolymorphedsquirrel Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2019
    Hi, could you make the mod mobile SoD compatible? On mobile SoD is a standalone campaign not including original BG1 and thus most, if not all, areas from that game. Other item and creature files are there, so usually what's needed to adapt are only item placements and script registrations, which could simply ignore missing areas (or print a warning). In all the mods I played so far it was sufficient to make it work.
    It would be awesome.
    ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
    Resource [AR0805.are] not found in KEY file:
    	[./chitin.key]

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    edited July 2019
    Luke93 wrote: »
    OK, I have another question about one of your function, i.e., TO_HEX_NUMBER.
    I noticed that if you want to use it to append a value to STATE.ids, then you need to remove the following ACTION_IFs for all those values where BIT31 (0x80000000) is set
    ACTION_IF (value < 0) BEGIN
    	OUTER_SET signed = 1
    	OUTER_SET value = 0 - value
    END ELSE BEGIN
    	OUTER_SET signed = 0
    END

ACTION_IF (signed) BEGIN
    	OUTER_TEXT_SPRINT hexNumber ~-%hexNumber%~
    END

As an example, try executing the following code:
    OUTER_SET custom_state = 0x00000001 BOR 0x00000002 BOR 0x00000004 BOR 0x00000008 BOR 0x00000020 BOR 0x00000029 BOR 0x00000FC0 BOR 0x00010000 BOR 0x00100000 BOR 0x80000000	// = 0x80110FEF

LAF TO_HEX_NUMBER
    INT_VAR
    	minDigits = 8
    	prefix = 1
    	value = custom_state
    RET
    	hexNumber
    END

APPEND ~STATE.IDS~ ~%hexNumber% CUSTOM_STATE~

Have a look at that entry using NI:
    • observed value: -0x7FEEF011 --> This is followed by this warning: "Error interpreting STATE.IDS: -0x7FEEF011 CUSTOM_STATE
    • expected value: 0x80110FEF

As you know, both NI and WeiDU use signed integers and 0x80000000 (BIT31) is the sign bit, which means all values for which BIT31 are set are interpreted as negative.
    To sum up, 0x80110FEF is correctly labeled as negative by your function (and this is in agreement with the two's complement binary representation), but the appended value is wrong..... Could it be that STATE.ids uses unsigned integers?
    Thanks for the report. I have already improved the function internally, so that numbers will be returned correctly as signed or unsigned versions if needed.

fthku wrote: »
    I'm actually having a new type of trouble. My golem seems to appear in cutscenes, including in places where he should be invisible and where my party supposedly isn't there. Happening in SoD currently.
    That's the way many cutscenes are coded. Since areas can't be loaded without moving the party into these areas as well, party members have to be made invisible or placed outside of the field of view. I know it's a bit immersion-breaking, but that can't be fixed as easily with the golems as with party members.

Necromanx2 wrote: »
    @argent77 is there an update that includes all the little fixes for the last 10 months? I have a new computer and am setting everything back up and want to make sure I don't rediscover things that I had modified along the way.
    I plan to release a new update shortly which includes many fixes and several (nifty) features. ;)

Hi, could you make the mod mobile SoD compatible? On mobile SoD is a standalone campaign not including original BG1 and thus most, if not all, areas from that game. Other item and creature files are there, so usually what's needed to adapt are only item placements and script registrations, which could simply ignore missing areas (or print a warning). In all the mods I played so far it was sufficient to make it work.
    It would be awesome.
    ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
    Resource [AR0805.are] not found in KEY file:
    	[./chitin.key]

Next release of the mod should support mobile SoD installations.
    Gusindalolien_Luke_
    New release: Golem Construction for Spellcasters v6.0

Version 6.0 adds a feature to upgrade your golems to a higher rank when they gained enough experience, as well as corresponding Wish options. Talk to the golem to initiate the upgrade process or view their current experience level. You can read about it in more detail in the chapter "Upgrading golems" of "golem_information.txt", which is included in the mod package.

Changes in v6.0:
    • Added option to upgrade golems when they gained experience.
    • Added option to upgrade golems via Wish spell.
    • Added proper conclusion to scribbled notes about golem building found in Chateau Irenicus.
    • Added support for pure SoD installations on mobile devices.
    • Removed "Clear Fog of War" effect from golems in 'Guard' mode.
    • Removed IWD:EE v1.4 support.
    • Minor fix in Bone Golem combat script.
    • IWDEE: Fixed Malavon not appearing after simulacrum died.
    • BG2EE: Fixed golem ability detection for imported characters.
    • Various minor fixes and optimizations.
    FlashburnAedanlolienIsewein
    edited October 2019
    I have a question about DEFINE_RANDOM_TREASURE_EX: you wrote that this function also creates a treasure placeholder item if needed. If so, how? I tried using the default value for %treasure% (i.e., the empty string) but it is not working... Moreover, there's no return value for that (i.e., the resource name of the placeholder item...)
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Hey,
    question: did you add any quest to find the pages?

Luke93 wrote: »
    I have a question about DEFINE_RANDOM_TREASURE_EX: you wrote that this function also creates a treasure placeholder item if needed. If so, how? I tried using the default value for %treasure% (i.e., the empty string) but it is not working... Moreover, there's no return value for that (i.e., the resource name of the placeholder item...)
    As far as I remember the placeholder item is installed separately from the DEFINE_RANDOM_TREASURE_EX function. You can only specify the name of a placeholder item for the function.

It's just an empty item with special flags to make it inaccessible. You can probably create it dynamically with this WeiDU code:
    CREATE ~ITM~ ~V1~ ~dummy~
      WRITE_LONG 0x18 BIT5  // flags: Not copyable

Arthas wrote: »
    Hey,
    question: did you add any quest to find the pages?
    There is no official quest. It's more like the various artifacts you can find and collect thoughout the ToB adventure which can be assembled by Cespenar into powerful items.
    argent77 wrote: »
    As far as I remember the placeholder item is installed separately from the DEFINE_RANDOM_TREASURE_EX function. You can only specify the name of a placeholder item for the function.

Yeah, sorry, I was wrong: it's sufficient to specify a name and the function will clone RNDTRE01.itm => I didn't notice this part of your code
    ACTION_IF (NOT FILE_EXISTS ~%treasure%.itm~ AND FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~rndtre01.itm~) BEGIN
    	COPY_EXISTING ~rndtre01.itm~ ~override/%treasure%.itm~
    END

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Thanks ARgent77
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    I have a quick question. For some reason I can't create any more Golems, even though I only have 4 currently. Those 4 are Iron Golems that I essentially captured in the Malavon Dome area of Icewind Dale. Is the cap supposed to be 8, or is it 4 if they are of higher quality? I'm currently one level short of being able to create my own Iron Golem, but wasn't sure if that mattered or not. I'm not trying to create another Iron, I was trying to build another Stone or Clay but the only option I get is to cancel construction. I can post a save if that is more helpful. Thanks.
    @Bloodstone You can create as many golems as you like. However, only a limited number of golems can follow your party at the same time. If that limit is reached you have to place one or more follower golems into guard mode (by talking to them) before you can create another one.
    New release: Golem Construction for Spellcasters v6.1

Changelog:
    • Added Russian translation (thanks to Arkie).
    Aedan
  • BloodstoneBloodstone Member Posts: 99
    I am in IWD:EE HoW and having an issue. I have no Golems currently and have finally reached Tieron's forge. I have all the materials needed to construct golems but I can't get the dialogue to allow me to build one. The only options it gives me is to list golem types, and shows the golem counter or cancel construction. I have all the requisite supplies and have created golems before at various places throughout IWD:EE, why can't i construct them now?
    edited January 2020
    You have ask Tiernon for permission first. But that dialog option comes up only if someone in your party has already learned how to build golems by using one of the golem building manuals you can find throughout the game.
    lolien
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Hi @argent77
    I was wondering if there is a way to get limited wish and wish to offer golem upgrades more often? I only get convert iron to mithral now. I need the upgrade option more.
    Upgrading a golem is quite a powerful wish. Making this option appear more often would be rather unbalancing, imo.

Currently the option is presented in about 1 out of 10 Wishes. To make it appear more often you'd have to modify the dialog WISH25.DLG and remove or change the RandomNum(10,1) trigger of the respective response entry.
    Necromanx2
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @argent77 in my game i found 2 "vol. 1 manual of golem build", one with orrick to sale and another in the Temple of the Forgotten God (with a note include). Is this right, shouldn't be only 1 copy of each manual?
    edited May 2020
    There are two kinds of tomes. The regular tomes (flesh/clay/stone golems, etc.) are quite common. For the secret tomes there should only exist one copy per volume (although I'm not sure if that only applies to the Baldur's Gate games).
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited May 2020
    @argent77
    How does the caster AI modification work with SCS active?

What casting classes can build golems? I'm concerned about multiclassed chararcters including a Druid/Sorcerer main, as well as a Fighter/Cleric non-main.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    @Endarire This post and this post suggest that SCS and the caster AI modification shouldn't interact too much due to how SCS rewrites the AI and the Golem Construction mod handles things in a different way. I believe that SCS caster AI already has some methods of handling immunities/high resistances.
    Endarire wrote: »
    What casting classes can build golems? I'm concerned about multiclassed chararcters including a Druid/Sorcerer main, as well as a Fighter/Cleric non-main.

Unusual class/kit combinations shouldn't be a problem. The mod checks base class levels and the "Use any item" ability of thieves to determine the ability to build golems, so even a hypothetical Druid/Monk/Sorcerer multiclass character should be able to build golems based on their Sorcerer level.
    edited May 2020
    @Caedwyr and @argent77
    Thankee!

Assuming we use SCS for Smarter Casters who prebuff as well as leaving party-made golem immunities as-is (that is, not reducing their immunities just because we made them), what problems or points of concern/note - if any - do you anticipate our group facing?

Note that we could just eventually summon a buncha disposable skeletons and planetars who would likely handle the replaceable minion role on shorter individual terms but without costing money/EXP.

Druid/Monk/Sor: How do we get this kit?
    Assuming we use SCS for Smarter Casters who prebuff as well as leaving party-made golem immunities as-is (that is, not reducing their immunities just because we made them), what problems or points of concern/note - if any - do you anticipate our group facing?
    I haven't much experience with SCS since I rarely use it. However, most golem types from this mod don't differ much from the original golems (except maybe some of the exotic kinds). If SCS can deal with vanilla golems correctly then it should work with golems from this mod as well.
    @argent77
    For the nerfed constructed golems option, what specifically was nerfed/changed? How important is this component and why?

Thankee!
    Yeah, nerfs aren't documented yet. That component is probably only important if you place great value on balance.

The nerfs in more detail:
    Removed all weapon immunities:
    - Flesh golems (all except perfect)
    - Clay golems (lesser, normal)
    - Stone golems (lesser, normal)
    - Lesser iron golems
    - Bone golems
    - Ice golems

Reduced immunity to non-enchanted weapons:
    - Perfect flesh golems
    - Clay golems (greater, perfect)
    - Greater stone golems
    - Normal iron golems
    - Lesser mithral golems
    - Lesser adamantite golems
    - Brain golems

Reduced immunity to +1 weapons:
    - Perfect stone golems
    - Iron golems (greater, perfect)
    - Mithral golems (normal, greater)
    - Normal adamantite golems
    - Lightning golems

Reduced immunity to +2 weapons:
    - Perfect mithral golems
    - Adamantite golems (greater, perfect)

In addition various resistances to magical, elemental and physical damage is reduced. For example, clay golems (except perfect variant) won't be completely impervious to non-blunt damage anymore.
    edited September 2020
    @argent77
    According to the Big World Setup tool, Hidden Adventures (Jerlia's Ore Shop component) conflicts with Golem Construction. No further information is given. May we get this fixed?

If golem immunities aren't reduced, does the game effectively become a rush to build and deploy golems who are invincible to most enemies?

Thankee!
    According to the Big World Setup tool, Hidden Adventures (Jerlia's Ore Shop component) conflicts with Golem Construction. No further information is given. May we get this fixed?
    It will, eventually. This has already been discussed in this topic and via private message with @jastey . Both mods have to be updated to make them compatible with each other.

If golem immunities aren't reduced, does the game effectively become a rush to build and deploy golems who are invincible to most enemies?
    The immunities make some encounters easier (especially if you have clay golems following you). But their bad AC and HP, as well as the danger of getting out of control if enemies are around, counter their immunities in many cases. You still have to be careful not to have your golems destroyed.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    May we get this fixed?
    Yes, that this is not compatible yet is on me. I'll come back to this in the not too distant future.

• Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    @Endarire having played this mod allot, I can assure you that Golems can be destroyed by enemies. The golems are great against enemies you would wipe the floor with anyway. I have had Flesh, Clay, Stone, and Iron golems at perfect level and I need to watch them or they get chopped up before I know it (I don't use the spell or physical reductions either).
    And there is no rushing the Mithral and Adamantine golems given how high a level you need to be.
    New release: Golem Construction for Spellcasters v6.2

Changelog:
    • Fixed compatibility issue with Hidden Adventure's component "Jerlia's Ore Shop" (Beta 6 or later).
    jasteyhook71Aedan