Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Aron wrote: »
    Maybe Beamdog could consider to make an Icewind Dale III? That would be something to look forward to! :smile:

If npcs and banter/interjections are included, I'm in!

Considering the recent 'Rime of the Frost Maiden' sourcebook, WotC would probably want quite a bit of directional control, or at least leave it in the hands of a proven original RPG capable studio with AAA-potential. (Absolutely no offense to BeamDog <3 )

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a sidenote in Larian's contract hinting at this possibility should BG3 perform well.
    The new 'Dark Alliance' video game is associated with the 'Rime of the Frost Maiden' TT game, with RA Salvatore being the driving force behind the game and linking the game to his 'Icewind Dale' trilogy of novels. So if anything, Dark Alliance *is* effectively both the new BG:DA game and the new IwD game.

I don't see WotC giving anyone a contract to do Iwd3, and that includes Larian. BG3 made sense for them because of the immense amount of name recognition. A NwN3 may also make sense in the same vein. But IwD3? Nah. Ps:T2 is a better bet than IwD3, and we all know how *that* turned out.
    Sjerrie
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    I would also posit that, while it would be a safer bet because of the name, I'd much rather have a new game set in a part of Faerun we haven't seen before, instead of IWD.
    ThacoBellBalrog99kanisathaWarChiefZeke
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    A new IWD campaign from WotC is about to be released in the next few days (or is it already?) So, there is ground for IWD3 now.
    SjerrieArvia
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    I just want a new RPG. I'm not too big a IWD fan.
    kanisatha
    Mirandel wrote: »
    A new IWD campaign from WotC is about to be released in the next few days (or is it already?) So, there is ground for IWD3 now.
    That game is 'Rime of the Frostmaiden.' The full title of the game is 'Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden.' This article is a good reference for the 3-way connections among the TT campaign, the Dark Alliance video game, and RA Salvatore:
    https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/18/21294867/dark-alliance-action-rpg-r-a-salvatore-dungeons-and-dragons
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    So, uh...after 84 pages, I feel like I still know next to nothing about Beamdogs next project.
    Balrog99kanisathaTimbo0o0o0Blackbɨrd
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    So, uh...after 84 pages, I feel like I still know next to nothing about Beamdogs next project.

What, you wanted to know more? ?
    ThacoBellBlackbɨrd
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It's a Bug Hunt!
    Balrog99
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Any hints?
    scriver wrote: »
    Any hints?

Soon... ?
    Hafirmlnevesescriver
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    ddyb6teqy1bw.jpg
    scriverBalrog99megamike15
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2020
    Nevermind
    edited November 2020
    elminster wrote: »
    Nevermind

Wait, is this an Edgar Allen Poe reference? Beamdog: "The Raven" confirmed. I knew it!

Edit: Oh wait, I thought you said you said "Nevermore". Dang it!
    elminstermlnevese
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Nevermind

Wait, I think I got it. There's a lot of talk of Illithid's in gaming right now. But Beamdog wants to do their own thing. What's the opposite of Illithids? Beings without minds to eat!

The next game will be an isometric rtwp game that takes place in modern day. It starts a ragtag bunch of kids who form a monster hunting club. One day, mysterious creatures called "Neverminds" emerge from the darkness behind humanities dreams and begin absorbing the minds of people like some kind of intellect black hole. But children are somehow spared. So its up to the kids to venture into nightmare space in an attempt to save not only their parents, but all of humanity!

The game will include:
    Non-standard character classes (no "jock" or "nerd" here!)
    A tight, linear narrative with open and branching sidequests that can be tackled at any time.
    A focus on characters and mechanics around building friend ships and building trust.
    No romances, because that would be gross.
    Stylized art direction, with the nightmarescape rendered in impressionism inspired visuals.
    World exploration will happen in third person with stealth and platforming elements.
    Can't forget the ubiquitoous lockpicking mini-game!
    Combat will have the camera zoom out and will be real time with pause

Man, it was so obvious.
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Nevermind

Wait, is this an Edgar Allen Poe reference? Beamdog: "The Raven" confirmed. I knew it!

Edit: Oh wait, I thought you said you said "Nevermore". Dang it!

ThacoBellSjerrieBalrog99mlnevese
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Nevermind

Wait, I think I got it. There's a lot of talk of Illithid's in gaming right now. But Beamdog wants to do their own thing. What's the opposite of Illithids? Beings without minds to eat!

The next game will be an isometric rtwp game that takes place in modern day. It starts a ragtag bunch of kids who form a monster hunting club. One day, mysterious creatures called "Neverminds" emerge from the darkness behind humanities dreams and begin absorbing the minds of people like some kind of intellect black hole. But children are somehow spared. So its up to the kids to venture into nightmare space in an attempt to save not only their parents, but all of humanity!

The game will include:
    Non-standard character classes (no "jock" or "nerd" here!)
    A tight, linear narrative with open and branching sidequests that can be tackled at any time.
    A focus on characters and mechanics around building friend ships and building trust.
    No romances, because that would be gross.
    Stylized art direction, with the nightmarescape rendered in impressionism inspired visuals.
    World exploration will happen in third person with stealth and platforming elements.
    Can't forget the ubiquitoous lockpicking mini-game!
    Combat will have the camera zoom out and will be real time with pause

Man, it was so obvious.

Beamdog, take my money now!!!
    ThacoBell
    So how long has it been now since we got any new news from Beamdog about their new game? Don't know about the rest of you, but the silence bothers me.
    lroumen
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I was thinking the same today. All we know is that 2.6 patches are in the works. Other than that, nothing.

I would like to at least know the new ip genre or such
    Adam_en_tiumkanisatha
    Well, since the 2.6 patch for the EEs is close to being released, my last hope is that there will be some sort of informational announcement about a new game soon after the 2.6 patch release happens.
    StummvonBordwehrSjerrie
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @JuliusBorisov, is there a transcript or summary of what Trent said at this event?
    Hafir
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    edited May 2021
    I listened for a while and he mentioned something to do with Edmonton a game industry hub or something similiar
    kanisatha
    Hafir wrote: »
    I listened for a while and he mentioned something to do with Edmonton a game industry hub or something similiar
    So then no new info on their game? Not even a little teaser? That sucks.

Unfortunately I cannot listen to a recording as I am hearing impaired and need to at least have closed captioning.
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    Maybe I missed smth, but even after 2.6 patch Im sure they will tell us more soon
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Maybe I missed smth, but even after 2.6 patch Im sure they will tell us more soon

Define soon.
    Well the 2.6 patch seems to be a mess and so they'll be spending the next year fixing that. I don't think we'll even hear anything about the new game anytime soon let alone actually get to see the game. And for me, a reasonable definition of 'soon' would be in the next few months.
    ThacoBell
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited May 2021
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Well the 2.6 patch seems to be a mess and so they'll be spending the next year fixing that. I don't think we'll even hear anything about the new game anytime soon let alone actually get to see the game. And for me, a reasonable definition of 'soon' would be in the next few months.

I rather doubt any of this is a very realistic estimation of things. I have heard from the developers I know that the patch was generally well received and not that it was a "mess". I certainly doubt that it had enough issues that it needs a whole year's worth of fixing... That seems rather disproportionate...

Edit: further evidence of the patch being well received is that, on reddit, the official announcement of the patch has (at time of posting) over 420 upvotes and is 99% upvoted. I rather doubt a "mess" would get such a positive reaction...
    Arvia
    Tresset wrote: »
    kanisatha wrote: »

I rather doubt any of this is a very realistic estimation of things. I have heard from the developers I know that the patch was generally well received and not that it was a "mess". I certainly doubt that it had enough issues that it needs a whole year's worth of fixing... That seems rather disproportionate...

Edit: further evidence of the patch being well received is that, on reddit, the official announcement of the patch has (at time of posting) over 420 upvotes and is 99% upvoted. I rather doubt a "mess" would get such a positive reaction...
    I was simply venting my very high level of frustration with Beamdog overall:
    1) The 2.6 patch taking a ridiculously long time to come, and then still having some issues and more importantly leaving out some additional much-needed fixes for the next patch, which who knows when we'll get.
    2) A&A Online still being kept in EA well over a year after being placed in EA. This is not what EA is supposed to be and for me is an abuse of the EA concept.
    3) A complete blackout of information on their supposed new game going on over two years.
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 249
    I lean more toward v2.6 was a mess at worst and meh at best. For as long as it took them to release it, the patch really didn't deliver a whole lot and it ended up causing many issues across mods for what looks like pedantic reasons. Only thing really noticeable that was fixed was Foebane which they broke in a previous patch. For having Baeloth front and center on their patch 2.6 release art, one would think there may be a chance he is recruitable in bg2, but that isn't the case.

With mods, there were a number of issues identified at launch of v2.6, some game breaking, and time will tell how many more are going to be discovered. Sadly, many mods authors may no longer be supporting their mods, so who knows if it will ever get fixed.
    ThacoBell