Skip to content

Famous Quotes and laws of reality...

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    m7600 wrote: »
    As well as the Count could recollect, it was Mob.

In the words of Thomas Hubert ("The Southern Element in Poe's Fiction"), that line can only be characterized as an "aristocratic scorn for the masses", coupled with "a scorn for democracy and egalitarianism".

I regard it as skepticism as to whether democracy can last forever. I'm not sure (and I certainly don't hope) Poe was right but certain recent events could indicate that the theory of Anacyclosis is correct. :disappointed:
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    m7600 wrote: »
    As well as the Count could recollect, it was Mob.

In the words of Thomas Hubert ("The Southern Element in Poe's Fiction"), that line can only be characterized as an "aristocratic scorn for the masses", coupled with "a scorn for democracy and egalitarianism".

I regard it as skepticism as to whether democracy can last forever. I'm not sure (and I certainly don't hope) Poe was right but certain recent events could indicate that the theory of Anacyclosis is correct. :disappointed:

Yeesh, never heard of Anacyclosis before so I followed your link. Wow, I used to think 'I' was cynical...
    Montresor_SP
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    You are... But anyway.
    Balrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    shabadoo wrote: »
    You are... But anyway.

In my defense, I used to consider myself a realist. These days there doesn't seem to be much difference between realism and cynicism...
    shabadoo
    Hey, I get it, I'm the guy in the seat next to you aboard the hell-in-a-handbasket express. I've turned into my grandfather, always talking about how things used to be, longing for "the good old days". My wife actually brought the George Burns quote to me because of it.
    Balrog99
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549

I can't breathe anymore. One, just one person in all of my life, never asked me to be something other than who I am. He was amazing, now he is gone. How do you go on after that. Now at last I understand why her wrists are wrapped. Not a famous quote, sorry. Just a feeling.
    StummvonBordwehrsemiticgoddess
    I just don't know what to say. Keep holding on to the love, no matter how painful it may seem now. If you let it go, that will feel even worse( if you can imagine that). Remember that you have something that many people never find, that you know what love truly is. That is a wonderful thing. I guess I did have something to say.
    StummvonBordwehrMichelle
    edited January 2021
    When day comes we step out of the shade,
    aflame and unafraid
    The new dawn blooms as we free it
    For there is always light,
    if only we're brave enough to see it
    If only we're brave enough to be it

The Hill We Climb
    Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman, Inaugural Poem
    That young woman impresses the hell out of me.
    mlneveseProontArvia
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    As one gets older, one discovers everything is going to be exactly the same with different hats on.
    -- Noel Coward
    StummvonBordwehrMontresor_SPProontMichelle
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    Thomas Jefferson
    mlneveseStummvonBordwehrMichelleMontresor_SP
    If at first you don’t succeed... Skydiving is not for you.

Unknown
    mlneveseStummvonBordwehrProontMontresor_SP
    MichelleMontresor_SP
    mlnevese wrote: »

I choked on my water laughing.
    Umm... by water I mean beer and by choked I mean it came out my nose. :D
    Still hurts a bit but wow that was funny.
    mlneveseMontresor_SP
    Freemen don't ask permission, and it doesn't matter if they do because petty tyrants won't give it anyway.
    Montresor_SP
    First, learn to love yourself, and then you will learn to love others.
    -- Chen-It Ong
    Balrog99Montresor_SPSkatan
    “Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.”
    Who the ef actually said it because it wasn't benjamin franklin
    Montresor_SPStummvonBordwehr
    "When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."

George R.R. Martin
    mlneveseshabadooMontresor_SP
    DragonKing wrote: »
    “Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.”
    Who the ef actually said it because it wasn't benjamin franklin

I've looked into the proper attribution of this quote to no avail. Alas even the scant references of it first appearing in the late eighties and it's prominence in news groups in the nineties provide no clue to it's originator. The closest from Benny F. I could find is " If you make yourself a sheep the wolves will eat you".
    semiticgoddess
    I don't understand what you do.
    Therefore, it must be simple.
    -- Dilbert's Management Principle
    MichelleProont
    "This is not ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.”

Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski
    mlneveseProontBalrog99Arvia
    “The most important thing is this: to be able at any moment – to sacrifice what you are, for what you will become!” – Eric Thomas
    mlneveseStummvonBordwehr
    "Sacrifice- to some, it is just a word. to others it is a code
    What matters is the colony.
    He's willing to live for the colony,
    To fight for the colony, to die for the colony"