Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Road to 2.6 | Planned Patch Items | Windows, macOS, Linux

145791014

Comments

  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,012
    We can't say when exactly the patch will be released fully. When it's ready. You can jump in if you want to use new bug fixes and later continue your save in the stable version.

  • dani0805dani0805 Member Posts: 2
    @dani0805 Please fully uninstall the game and reinstall the application, then opt-in the beta.

    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1156390/#Comment_1156390

    that worked. Both BGEE and IWD seems fine on my Mac air, gave thumbs up for releasing it

    JuliusBorisov
  • VicissitudeVicissitude Member Posts: 23
    We can't say when exactly the patch will be released fully. When it's ready. You can jump in if you want to use new bug fixes and later continue your save in the stable version.

    Thank you for your quick answer. I understand how difficult it is to pinpoint when it'll be ready, we're just very excited to get our hands of the final version. It's been such a long time since 2.5.

    I suppose I could play the beta until then but there's no rush either. I kinda want to start fresh with the final release but I don't want to wait too long either so... I guess I'll just wait and see. Thanks for the advice.

    JuliusBorisov
  • kalekale Member Posts: 50
    edited January 29
    Can I just ask those who have played the beta whether the "improved pathfinding" is noticeable at all?

  • kalekale Member Posts: 50
    edited January 29
    Tresset wrote: »
    kale wrote: »
    Can I just ask those who have played the beta whether the "improved pathfinding" is noticeable at all?

    Well, I have noticed that one particular issue has not happened since I upgraded to 2.6, and that is the issue with two characters getting permanently stuck on top of each other. It used to happen fairly frequently in Nashkel with the guards on patrol, but no longer. Party members and others still occasionally bump into each other, but it isn't really all that bad typically. Pathfinding has been a beast of a problem in these games since the very beginning; the original BG1. In all honesty, I would say that BD has made an overall improvement to pathfinding over the years. Sure there are still problems, but I think they are less severe than the problems the original games had.

    P.S. I estimate I have logged about 150 hours playing the 2.6 beta, just in case you were wondering.

    Thanks for your reply. Sounds good, glad to hear that's fixed. (Ok I also really wish my party members wouldn't just take a crazy alternative route just because their path is temporarily blocked or that they could march in formation instead of regrouping at the destination point, but I suppose that's too much to ask given the engine's limitations!).

    TressetJuliusBorisov
  • RedglyphRedglyph Member Posts: 14
    edited January 29
    kale wrote: »
    Can I just ask those who have played the beta whether the "improved pathfinding" is noticeable at all?

    At first, it seemed so, but since 2.6.2.0 I noticed a few problems. I asked (twice) if there have been any change in that particular version but got no answer whatsoever.

    I think it's mostly fine, nobody gets stuck, but in areas where there is less room the characters get confused again and make huge detours (what you described above, actually). I had the impression this wasn't happening anymore in earlier version, anyway.

  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,224
    @Redglyph I have seen you describe your pathfinding experience before and I think I may know what is going on. There is a hidden option that can be turned on by editing the baldur.lua or by using @argent77's Reveal Hidden Gameplay Options mod. It is called "Enhanced Path Search". From what I can guess, this is an experimental pathfinding option that was added to the game a while ago. What it appears to do is have each character recalculate the shortest path to their destination every few seconds to attempt to constantly find the quickest route. This behavior has some drawbacks over the default pathfinding however. It tends to make your characters turn around if someone else is blocking a narrow walkway at the exact moment that their path gets recalculated. If this is bothering you, I would suggest checking to see if this option is enabled and try turning it off to see if things improve for you. You can turn it off in game with the aforementioned mod installed, or by editing the Baldur.lua located in the documents directory of your game.

    In baldur.lua, the option appears as follows if enabled:

    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enhanced Path Search','1')

    if it is disabled it will either not appear at all, or appear as follows:

    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enhanced Path Search','0')

    JuliusBorisovkaleAerakarRedglyph
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,510
    @Galactygon
    All magic attack spells can be targeted onto invisible beings except for Breach.
    So this SCS tweak is now official behavior? That's certainly interesting...

    However, I noticed there's another MAGICATTACK spell besides Breach that cannot bypass Invisibility, i.e.: "Lower Resistance – SPWI514.SPL". Intended or bug?

    Moreover, the description of such spells should probably mention that you can target invisible/concealed beings...

  • RedglyphRedglyph Member Posts: 14
    Tresset wrote: »
    It is called "Enhanced Path Search". From what I can guess, this is an experimental pathfinding option that was added to the game a while ago. What it appears to do is have each character recalculate the shortest path to their destination every few seconds to attempt to constantly find the quickest route. This behavior has some drawbacks over the default pathfinding however. It tends to make your characters turn around if someone else is blocking a narrow walkway at the exact moment that their path gets recalculated. If this is bothering you, I would suggest checking to see if this option is enabled and try turning it off to see if things improve for you. You can turn it off in game with the aforementioned mod installed, or by editing the Baldur.lua located in the documents directory of your game.

    In baldur.lua, the option appears as follows if enabled:

    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enhanced Path Search','1')

    if it is disabled it will either not appear at all, or appear as follows:

    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enhanced Path Search','0')
    @Tresset Thanks for the tip! I didn't find the option so it should be disabled.
    I haven't seen any mention of the pathfinding in the last patch, so I suppose it's just coincidence. I know it's not always easy to put all the modifications in a log though, that's why I asked in case the update broke something.
    I'll enable the option and check the difference.

  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    edited January 29
    _Luke_ wrote: »
    @Galactygon
    All magic attack spells can be targeted onto invisible beings except for Breach.
    So this SCS tweak is now official behavior? That's certainly interesting...

    However, I noticed there's another MAGICATTACK spell besides Breach that cannot bypass Invisibility, i.e.: "Lower Resistance – SPWI514.SPL". Intended or bug?

    Moreover, the description of such spells should probably mention that you can target invisible/concealed beings...

    Spell protection removal spells can be cast on invisible creatures, as per SCS. Lower Resistance and Breach are not useable on invisible creatures since they are a different subcategory of MAGICATTACK.

    _Luke_suy
  • kalekale Member Posts: 50
    Sorry I'll just ask another question;). Has anyone tried playing the beta with mods (can you do that?) and can give an indication whether the patch breaks none/some/most of the more common mods? I'd be interested in IWD in particular ... Thanks again:).

  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,385
    I did not get an answer around the turn of the year (understandably) so I will pose the question again.

    Is there any scope for improving the GUI? Character, inventory, spell books, shops, but also dialogue history have been posed to be improved several times. I would rather have a clear base game solution rather than optimisation via mods.

    BrecherATigersClawFelipefpl
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    In the Patch Highlights it says 'Improved multiplayer stability' - are you able to tell us what's changed or improved? (I don't have the Steam version and so can't test).

  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 69
    Is there any scope for improving the GUI? Character, inventory, spell books, shops, but also dialogue history have been posed to be improved several times. I would rather have a clear base game solution rather than optimisation via mods.

    This would be wonderful. I made the same question regarding the dialog/inventory window of Torment since neither can be resized and we are FORCED to scroll LOTS of times to see what we need. We NEED to be able to resize the inventory window in all IE games to prevent this.

    Aside that, i REALLY hope all IE games will have their .lua file changed to work with 60 FPS instead of the 30 FPS aka slow motion from hell as they are now. ;)

  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    Greetings.

    Read about fixes in 2.6
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80867/road-to-2-6-planned-patch-items-windows-macos-linux/p1

    There is no information about snow maiden's reaver in list of fixes
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40342/snow-maidens-reaver-broken-differently-now

    Will this really cool (in both ways) sword be fixed in 2.6?

  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,012
    The link you've shared contains a reply from the previous IWD:EE project director:

    "The Snow Maiden's Reaver worked the same way in the original Icewind Dale i.e. it dealt only cold damage without adding the strength and proficiency bonuses.
    This is not something that the EE has changed."

    suy
  • Brianna29Brianna29 Member Posts: 2
    Hello!
    Thank you for these fixes :)

    I note this fix for BG:EE "Fixed an issue for when the party attempted to replay the Black Pits battle with Llyrk (tier 1 battle 3), his Crumbling Skeletons would die immediately." - are there any plans to also fix the crashing issue with this fight? I tried to play through a couple of times but just after Llyrk casts Stinking Cloud my game would freeze and crash :(

  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,012
    @Brianna29 Please provide a zip of your save so that we could investigate

    Galactygon
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,385
    lroumen wrote: »
    I did not get an answer around the turn of the year (understandably) so I will pose the question again.

    Is there any scope for improving the GUI? Character, inventory, spell books, shops, but also dialogue history have been posed to be improved several times. I would rather have a clear base game solution rather than optimisation via mods.
    Still no response. Thoughts?

  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 721
    lroumen wrote: »
    lroumen wrote: »
    I did not get an answer around the turn of the year (understandably) so I will pose the question again.

    Is there any scope for improving the GUI? Character, inventory, spell books, shops, but also dialogue history have been posed to be improved several times. I would rather have a clear base game solution rather than optimisation via mods.
    Still no response. Thoughts?

    Since the focus of the team is on fixing issues rather than delivering new features (Which would risk introducing new issues) I doubt we'll be seeing further UI improvements unless it's related to a bug in the existing UI or a bug that's affecting UI Mods.

    Galactygon
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,385
    You may be right, but that should not be the consideration. Beamdog makes a patch to deliver a proper end product. The fact that GUI mods exist should not limit them from making their own appropriate changes to address issues that were flagged by their customers.

    Plenty of fixes that they have in scope for v2.6 were already available to the customer via mod installs. There is no reason why GUI should get a different treatment.

  • KharadorKharador Member Posts: 215
    Guys, there's no release date yet?

  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    Greetings.
    Will g3's Icewind Dale Fixpack
    (and other mods in current state)
    be compatible with iwd ee / bg ee / etc.
    with 2.6 versions of games?

  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,285
    SorrowSeer wrote: »
    Greetings.
    Will g3's Icewind Dale Fixpack
    (and other mods in current state)
    be compatible with iwd ee / bg ee / etc.
    with 2.6 versions of games?
    The IWD fixpack is fully included in IWD:EE so no need for that.
    Other mods will probably need some adjustments.
    As always if you're in a current game, just copy the folder of your install to make sure you don't accidentally update. Finish your game, and then update to 2.6.

    JuliusBorisovArvia
  • SorrowSeerSorrowSeer Member Posts: 144
    The IWD fixpack is fully included in IWD:EE so no need for that.
    Other mods will probably need some adjustments.
    As always if you're in a current game, just copy the folder of your install to make sure you don't accidentally update. Finish your game, and then update to 2.6.

    So
    If I understood it right

    In current state, for example, G3's Tweaks Anthology, probably will not work correctly
    if I'll instal this mod over clean 2.6 version(s) of game(s) ?

Sign In or Register to comment.