Skip to content

Patch 2.6 Launches Today!

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited April 2021 in News
We are launching Patch 2.6 for Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Siege of Dragonspear and Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions on Steam, GOG, the mac App Store and the Beamdog Store (tablet/mobile updates coming soon).

This ?massive patch upgrades the games to 64-bit systems, fixes hundreds of bugs, and adds brand new portraits & voice sets to customize your heroes— including two sets from the legendary Mark Meer (voice of Commander Shepherd in Mass Effect)!

?Huge thanks to our heroic community for their tireless adventuring in beta builds for this mammoth patch. Thank You!

Note: Patch 2.6 won't fix every issue in the games, but don't worry— we're still working on future updates!

Patch Highlights
  • Upgrade to 64-Bit | A much needed upgrade for modern machines— this improves system compatibility
  • 7 New Character Voice Sets | New player voice sets, including two from the legendary Mark Meer reprising his roles as Alveus Malcanter and Baeloth Barrityl
  • 11 New Character Portraits | New character portraits to customize your hero’s look
  • Hundreds of Bug Fixes | Includes scores of fixes to spells and hero abilities
  • Improved Pathfinding | Smoother party movement and navigation

New Localizations
  • Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition | Added French text localization (beta)
  • Baldur’s Gate: Siege of Dragonspear | Added French (beta), Italian, German, Ukrainian and Polish text localizations
  • Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition | Added Brazilian Portuguese and Chinese (Simplified) text localizations

Attention! Known Issues
  • New System Requirements | 32-bit operating systems are no longer supported. Check out the updated system requirements below, or visit game pages for details.
  • Crossplay with Mobile | Crossplay between computers and mobile devices will not be available until we release the 2.6 patch for iOS and Android (this is in the works!!).
  • Multiplayer Latency | Some players report multiplayer latency (delay in communication between game clients)
  • French Localizations in Beta | We consider the new French text localization to be a beta release. We welcome feedback from the community!
  • Haste Spell | The spell works correctly, but the combat log doesn't reflect the correct double speed/damage that is taking place

8yw10yhoslpt.png

Updates | All Games
  • Upgrade to 64-bit
This upgrade improves system compatibility, including the 64-bit requirement for macOS. 32 bit-operating systems are no longer supported.
  • New Character Options
  1. 11 New Character Portraits | New character portraits to customize your hero’s look
  2. 7 New Character Voice Sets | New player voice sets to customize your hero's battle cries
- Mark Meer | The legendary Mark Meer reprises his roles as Alveus Malcanter (the most major of minor mages) and Baeloth Barrityl (The Entertainer of the Black Pits)
- CEO & Co. | You'll also be treated to the barbarian battle cries of Beamdog CEO, Trent Oster (who lost his voice for a few days after the recording session), plus four more Beamdog team voices!

Multiplayer Improvements
  • Area Names | Area names now display correctly on multiplayer saves
  • Character Imports | Fixed issue with multiplayer character imports, specifically thief skills
  • Chat Hotkey | Added a hotkey for multiplayer chat: hit “T” to open the chat
  • Crash Fixes | Fixed several multiplayer crashes
  • Client Connection | Fixed a few conditions preventing client connection
  • Error Handling | Improved internal error handling
  • Host Reload | Hosts reloading no longer cause clients to get stuck in level-up
  • New Characters | New characters joining multiplayer sessions no longer receive default equipment
  • Player Familiars | Player familiars and their stat blocks now load correctly in multiplayer games
  • Time Played | Fixed error in multiplayer time played information
  • Troubleshooting | Improved multiplayer troubleshooting by adding a network.log file and a fix to how the jingle.log file resets

General Fixes
  • Character Imports | Advanced AI now loads correctly with character imports
  • German Font | Fixed German text font size in menu for character voice selection
  • Item Comparison | You can now disable item comparison
  • Map | Fixed visual issues in map area backgrounds
  • Text Input | You no longer need to click before typing in text inputs— the cursor will remain active
  • Abilities, Spells & Magic
  • Aid Bonuses | Aid bonuses to hits and damage now display correctly on the inventory screen, and the status icon displays on the character record screen
  • Bigby’s Hand Spells | Updated spell graphics and fixed saving throws for Bigby’s Clenched Fist and Bigby’s Crushing Hand
  • Breach | Breach now uses projectiles and visuals consistent with the other spell protection removal spells
  • Detect Illusion | Corrected the casting range on Detect Illusion
  • Call Lightning and Pillar Spells | Effects that involve pillar animations, such as Call Lightning have been remastered into a single animation sequence rather than several stacked animations
  • Chaos Shield | Chaos Shield and Improved Chaos Shield now use graphics distinct from Miscast Magic
  • Chaotic Commands | Chaotic Commands now use the correct projectiles at all levels
  • Cloud Projectiles | Updated Cloud Projectiles so they are cleared by Zone of Sweet Air
  • Cloud Spells | Several Cloud Spell visual effects have been updated to match their color descriptions (including Cloudkill, Stinking Cloud, Death Fog, and Incendiary Cloud)
  • Club Proficiency | Club proficiency now displays correctly on character records
  • Fire and Cold | Fire and cold graphics of numerous items, spells, and abilities have been recolored to appear more realistic
  • Fire Shields and Blade Barriers | Fire shields and similar effects no longer display text feedback if the striking creature is out of range of the struck creature
  • Fire Shields and Blade Barriers | Damage suffered when striking a protected creature now ignores mirror image
  • Fire Shields and Blade Barriers | These spells may now be refreshed before their durations expire
  • Fireball | Updated visual effects for the Fireball spell and for items that use Fireball style explosions
  • Haste Scrolls | Haste Scrolls now correctly target an area rather than a particular creature
  • Hit Dice | Spells affecting creatures based on their hit dice now work as expected
  • HP Drain | Spells that drain HP now work as expected, and cannot drain more HP than available from a target
  • Invisibility, 10' Radius | Invisibility, 10' Radius now no longer affects enemies and uses a 10 foot radius area of effect
  • Lightning Bolt | Restored Lightning Bolt to behavior in the original games: the bolt continues in a straight line beyond the initial target, hitting all in its path and bouncing off obstacles
  • Magic Resistance | Spells such as Glitterdust, Contagion, and Otiluke’s Freezing Sphere no longer bypass magic resistance
  • Melf's Minute Meteors | Updated damage type from piercing to missile
  • Movement Effects | Movement effects from spells such as Entangle now relate properly with stacking or counteracting effects from spells or the environment
  • Non-Detection | Spells blocked by Non-Detection will no longer play visuals or sound effects on targeted creatures
  • Physical Mirror | Physical Mirror effects now have consistent duration and dispel behavior
  • Poison Immunity | Creatures immune to poison no longer visibly recoil in combat when hit by poison or disease effects
  • Polymorph Self | Fixed inconsistencies, casting time and minor issues with Polymorph Self
  • Power Levels | Corrected the power level of several items and spells to make sure they interact properly with spell protections, such as Spell Turning or Globe of Invulnerability
  • Power Word and Symbol Spells | audio and visual spell effects will only play if targets are actually affected by the spell
  • Projectile Speeds | Updated projectile speeds so they are more consistent
  • Projectile Speeds | Thrown darts and dagger speeds have been sped up to appear more realistic
  • Priests of Tyr | Divine Favor and Exaltation now play expected graphics and sounds
  • Priests of Tempus | Chaos of Battle now plays different animations on allies and opponents
  • Psionic Blast | Description for Psionic Blast now appears in the innate ability menu when you shapechange into a Mind Flayer
  • Raise Dead & Resurrection | Raise Dead and Resurrection type spells can no longer be cast on living targets, only dead targets
  • Recurring Effects | Spells and items with effects that refresh each round now reapply the recurring effect properly
  • Regeneration | Updated Regeneration status icon used on portraits
  • Repulse Undead | Aligned School of Magic for Repulse Undead’s parent and child spells
  • Saving Throws | Corrected saving throw messages and functionality on a handful of spells and magic items
  • Shaman Spirits | The spirit animals summoned by shamanic dancing are now correctly dispelled when they reach the edge of the shaman’s visual range
  • Shamanic Spells | Shamanic spells and abilities now play consistent visual effects with “shamanic themed” colors
  • Shapechange | Fixed inconsistencies, casting time and minor issues with Shapechange
  • Simulacrums | Simulacrums and Projected Images no longer incorrectly inherit temporary abilities from casters
  • Sleep & Unconsciousness | Fixed a few minor issues in the Sleep and Unconsciousness effects; status icons on character record screen now differentiate between Sleep and Unconsciousness
  • Spell and Potion Icons | Added or updated portrait icons to portray suitable magical effects for several spells, potions and abilities
  • Spell Protection Removal | Spell Protection Removal spells may now be cast onto invisible creatures
  • Spell Target Glow | Creatures targeted by spells now glow consistently
  • Spellstrike | Spellstrike now uses projectiles and visuals consistent with the other spell protection removal spells
  • Spirit Armor | Spirit Armor saving throws now work as expected
  • Spirit Fire | Aligned School of Magic for Spirit Fire’s parent and child spells
  • Time Trap | Trap projectile for thieves’ Time Trap ability now plays audio
  • Wish and Limited Wish | These spells now behave correctly as level 9 and level 7 spells when interacting with spell protections
  • Modding
  • Missiles | Corrected a handful of labelling inconsistencies for missile ids
  • Missiles | MISSILE.ids now accurately label projectiles
  • SPLPROT.2da | Added labels and standardized SPLPROT.2da across Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions

BG:EE Patch Notes
BGII:EE Patch Notes
IWD:EE Patch Notes
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
suycherrycoke2lBubbBalquoMERLANCEargent77anastielDerpCityArviakaosFlashburnTimbo0o0o0StummvonBordwehrALIENHafirAndreaColombolroumenjasteyAciferVixentAaemforeverkotekoIseweinMiraStastnySjerrieAerakarCaszidyFelipefplEtaminkanisathaGrond0GraionDilachhook71bob_vengxantroGusindagugulug5000ShinStefanOATigersClawgsalernoAedanAllanon81aarionnSkatanramiCrevsDaakXorinasunset00Zaghoul

Comments

• anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    Big news!
    JuliusBorisov
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    It is coming to GOG, isn't it @JuliusBorisov?

TR
    BaptorJuliusBorisov
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 119
    Thanks for the nice news. :)

Is there any possible date in mind for planescape's patch?
    JuliusBorisov
  • BloutokBloutok Member Posts: 1
    Hi.

I installed the road_to_2.6 beta patch a while ago, do I need to do anything about the new patch?

Thank you.
    JuliusBorisovsteddye
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 326
    Will the upcoming iOS patch allow folders? ie., override,sounds,portraits,etc.
    Illustair
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Congratulations!
    JuliusBorisov
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    It is coming to GOG, isn't it @JuliusBorisov?

TR

Can confirm, 2.6 is not live on GOG as of this moment. Cannot get it in Galaxy or in the store.
  • fewerlawsfewerlaws Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2021
    Some issues I noticed with the 2.6.5 version of BG2, SoA and ToB:

1) There is a new annoying lag whenever working with items in inventory, such as putting items into bags of holding, moving from one player to another, etc. I think the lag stems from a new <right click> sound effect -- a low rumble sound that plays whenever an item is clicked. This adds an additional 0.5 to 1 second delay per item movement, which is super annoying. Can we turn this off please? Also, adding an option to turn off the constant hum sound effect from cloak of mirroring and cloak of reflection would be nice too.

2) The Linux version of "BaldursGateII" v2.6.5 won't even start for me anymore. I get "exit code 127". Is there some reason why the new version still depends on libssl.so.1.0.0 instead of libssl.so.1.1?

Thanks for all the work you've all been doing to develop, build, test, and release this patch!
    Baptor
  • suysuy Member Posts: 30
    fewerlaws wrote: »
    2) The Linux version of "BaldursGateII" v2.6.5 won't even start for me anymore. I get "exit code 127". Is there some reason why the new version still depends on libssl.so.1.0.0 instead of libssl.so.1.1?

This is mentioned in the Known Issues. I can imagine that if they want to support a wide range of Linux installations they need to resort to old versions of the very few external libraries that they depend on. That's a bit concerning for a library like OpenSSL, though.
    fewerlawsineth
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    Fantastic! Can't wait to play again after a long break!
    AaemforeverJuliusBorisov
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Congratulations on the patch launch and always great to hear there will be more updates in the future!

@JuliusBorisov can you confirm whether the patch also includes typo fixes for the English game text, and whether new reports of typos are still considered for future patches?

Also, a question about the sound sets: do I understand correctly that players may now choose a Baeloth sound set for the protagonist?
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    fewerlaws wrote: »

1) There is a new annoying lag whenever working with items in inventory, such as putting items into bags of holding, moving from one player to another, etc. I think the lag stems from a new <right click> sound effect -- a low rumble sound that plays whenever an item is clicked. This adds an additional 0.5 to 1 second delay per item movement, which is super annoying. Can we turn this off please? Also, adding an option to turn off the constant hum sound effect from cloak of mirroring and cloak of reflection would be nice too.

Thanks for all the work you've all been doing to develop, build, test, and release this patch!

For you and others who run into problems not mentioned in Known Issues (second post of this thread), please remember to contact Beamdog Customer Support at https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals for troubleshooting or bug reports.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    edited April 2021
    Anybody else having trouble downloading the update from the Beamdog client?

All three BG games are getting stuck about 2/3 in.

EDIT: Uninstalled the games entirely and now I can't seem to install them again.
    Post edited by AndreaColombo on
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Thank you for updating the games!

@JuliusBorisov is there a link to SoD patch notes, too?
    JuliusBorisov
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    Thank you guys for still maintaining this old game :)
    And thanks for mentioning explicitly that the french translation is in a beta state, hopefully, it gets improved in the future :)

Keep up the good work!
    JuliusBorisovfewerlaws
  • AvengerNX09AvengerNX09 Member Posts: 10
    Is there any timeframe for the release of the iOS versions of 2.6? If only it were tomorrow…that really would have some impact, considering the release of new devices and possibly an AAA title.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Not tomorrow. We still need to arrange a beta of mobile builds. Bear with us regarding the mobile versions.

The update is coming to GOG hopefully today (it was night for GOG when the release happened).

We haven't announced any patches for PST:EE but we hear you.

Typos and the like - we use the latest version of strings on the Translation site, for the date the build is being created.
    AaemforeverFelipefpl
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    And the patch is now live on GOG as well (you need to use the GOG Galaxy for that)!

GOG will create offline installers in due time.
    jasteyAaemforeverAedan
  • MyragMyrag Member Posts: 328
    Wow, this was unexpected. Great stuff.

That said, as one of probably many people here who replayed the games dozens of times it makes me wonder if Beamdog team ever plans to make any new adventuring changes that are not fixes. i.e. new character/locations/minor items/importable sod items/etc.
  • steddyesteddye Member Posts: 1
    I have the road_to_2.6 beta; The installed game version is V2.6.5.0 is the same patch u release today ? or I need to opt out from the beta branch to get this update ? thnx.
    waerjak
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    For anyone else interested in disabling the mouse-edge scrolling, you need to edit this baldur.lua entry:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Mouse Scroll Speed','0')

The in-game slider only goes down to "21".
    Why edge-scrolling is no longer disabled by default for windowed mode would be nice to know.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrGusinda
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Congratulations Beamdog on yet another (massive) patch!
    Onwards to console and handheld updates and new adventures.
    And perhaps a nice PST:EE patch :wink:
    JuliusBorisov
  • MiraStastnyMiraStastny Member Posts: 813
    And the patch is now live on GOG as well (you need to use the GOG Galaxy for that)!

The offline installers are live as well.
    JuliusBorisovTarotRedhand
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Does this mean you all have enough spare manpower to fix the HarfBuzz issue on the Beamdog Client for Linux now?
  • ZoGarthZoGarth Member Posts: 47
    Cool beans - I can't wait to get started and check it out B)
    JuliusBorisov
  • specter597specter597 Member Posts: 15
    I know that 32bit is sunset, but will legacy devices still be able to download them?
  • VerticorVerticor Member Posts: 119
    I see that you still haven't figured out how to put the pregenerated characters in the "characters" folder.

So that they can be deleted without having to break out the heavy editing gear, that is.
  • InvasorDePastosInvasorDePastos Member Posts: 25
    edited April 2021
    Hi! First of all, thanks for all your work on the game and on this huge patch. Nevertheless, I wasn't able to enjoy it. I tried to play Baldur's Gate 2 today with my friend (he is on Steam, I'm on GoG), but every single time we tried to save the game on multiplayer, it crashed. We used to have random crashes before the patch every 20 minutes or so during any kind of event, but this time, saving was completely impossible. Is this some known bug of the new patch? If so, will there be a hotfix? If not, what can we do to be able to play again?
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78

Were the Mac versions supposed to be released too? Still showing 2.5 here (PC version is up to date in both Galaxy and the site).