Skip to content

Eve of War [Abandoned]

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Good thing my current run was still in chapter 1. Pretty excited to "dip my toes" in. Will be sure to report any bugs I find that aren't mentioned here.
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2021
    It's mainly the main, side, and SoD content that need testing.

The Rough World stuff makes some sweeping changes that might be best avoided for anyone just running through the game. Like changes to autosaves, reputation, spawns, etc.
    Apparently the mod is using an older version of Weidu. I'll update it now.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @elminster
    You finally shared what you had of this mod with the public! Thankee! Alleluia!
    elminster
    edited August 2021
    Updated the link above with a new version that fixes the incomplete aspects of the cloakwood mine ownership (basically you can get ambushed but they weren't working).
    ThacoBell
    edited August 2021
    elminster wrote: »
    Obviously the mod isn't out yet, and I'll repeat this when it is, but due to the occasional bit of long writing and how the engine presently handles dialog I'm going to recommend that players using this mod look into installing a dialogue UI mod as well. This is because there are a few situations where players have like 8 dialog options plus text to read. With two scrolling bars it just becomes really difficult to read both the text and the responses. @lefreut 's mod works well for this, but there may be others out there that also work that people like.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60717/mod-eeuitweaks-mod-collection-all-ee-v2-2-platforms/p1

(Also I have no power over how the dialog system currently works so don't shoot the messenger :) )

Also I gave good advice here. The current UI does not handle the combination of large amounts of text and many replies very well.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Obviously the mod isn't out yet, and I'll repeat this when it is, but due to the occasional bit of long writing and how the engine presently handles dialog I'm going to recommend that players using this mod look into installing a dialogue UI mod as well. This is because there are a few situations where players have like 8 dialog options plus text to read. With two scrolling bars it just becomes really difficult to read both the text and the responses. @lefreut 's mod works well for this, but there may be others out there that also work that people like.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60717/mod-eeuitweaks-mod-collection-all-ee-v2-2-platforms/p1

(Also I have no power over how the dialog system currently works so don't shoot the messenger :) )

Also I gave good advice here. The current UI does not handle the combination of large amounts of text and many replies very well.

Have you perchance tried it with DragonspearUI++? Now that @meowdog updated it to work also with BGEE and EET I feel this will be my default UI mod. Lefreut's is great, but it was always a temporary solution for me until DragonspearUI++ works for EET.

Also, a very important question for me (but not only me), is Eve of War natively compatible with EET right now, or does it need to be updated? I confess, didn't have the chance too look at docs just yet, so if it's stated there that it is or isn't, I apologize.
    elminsterEtaminStummvonBordwehr
    edited August 2021
    It'll need to be updated I'm sure. I've never tested it. Especially any scripting concerning the end screens (however this is only an issue if you kill Eltan).

Unrelated, but I also just remembered that the Rough World mod got an update when it was put on the SHS Github account. That included a french translation.

So the Rough World contained here may/may not be fully up to date (although any changes made were structural and not content related).
    Sorry to answer your question at some point I tested it I think with Lefreut's mod. I don't remember if I tested it with anything else.
    Also some of the Siege of Dragonspear content might need to have its chapters adjusted for EET.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Ohh yea and even if anyone playing this could write down any obvious grammar/punctuation mistakes that would be helpful. There are going to be missing comma's in particular.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Cahir wrote: »

Have you perchance tried it with DragonspearUI++? Now that @meowdog updated it to work also with BGEE and EET I feel this will be my default UI mod. Lefreut's is great, but it was always a temporary solution for me until DragonspearUI++ works for EET.

Also, a very important question for me (but not only me), is Eve of War natively compatible with EET right now, or does it need to be updated? I confess, didn't have the chance too look at docs just yet, so if it's stated there that it is or isn't, I apologize.

I tried it a bit just now with the DragonspearUI and didn't see any issues.

I tried it a bit just now with the DragonspearUI and didn't see any issues.

That's great to know!

Do you mind if I share the info about Eve of War on G3? There are many skillful modders there, some of them not visiting Beamdog forums. The chances would be better to find a modder interested to jump in to help fleshing out/finishing EoW. I don't want to do it, without your consent, though.
    edited August 2021
    Yea that's fine.
    edited August 2021
    One thing that this mod includes but I never fleshed out at all was including Tiax as a joinable NPC in Siege of Dragonpear. I'm not sure if any other modders ever took a stab at a mod for him but evil parties had so few options that it just sort of seemed like a fun one to do.

But that component right now is barebones. So if anyone wants to take a stab at it feel free (and feel free to re-write any of the terrible content I probably made for it).
    GrammarsaladStummvonBordwehr
    edited August 2021
    As it stands now you encounter him at the camp once you leave the city.

Evidently I was in a bit of a silly mood when I wrote the component. 5vwqaleatmy0.png
    StummvonBordwehrbonewhiteglory
    Alright well apparently GitHub has a 25 mb limit unless you do command stuff. This is going to be more like 87mb. My brain is just not up for handling GitHub today.

I tried posting it to SHS but it doesn't actually give you any feedback if a file is uploading. My uploading speed suuuucks.

So for now I'm just going to post a Google Drive link for the mod here and we'll work something out later.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YMDTF7GhWtJbNYjhIE2mIIjpQQbfLCjT/view?usp=sharing

Also I realize it says Google doesn't scan files for viruses if they are over 25mb or something. This is the only assurance I can give I guess there.

bpqggrahxmkk.png

There is going to be other stuff I tackle later this week but for now this lets people dip their toes.

I'd suggest putting the download link in the original post, because it will be buried shortly under newer posts.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @elminster
    There are many people including many modders stoked for Skyfire's release. The author explicitly asked for help updating the mod to EE and finishing the mod. This sentiment echoes @Cahir's statement about asking Gibberlings3 for help.

Thankee again for releasing what you did!
    Alright well apparently GitHub has a 25 mb limit unless you do command stuff. This is going to be more like 87mb. My brain is just not up for handling GitHub today.

I tried posting it to SHS but it doesn't actually give you any feedback if a file is uploading. My uploading speed suuuucks.

So for now I'm just going to post a Google Drive link for the mod here and we'll work something out later.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YMDTF7GhWtJbNYjhIE2mIIjpQQbfLCjT/view?usp=sharing

Also I realize it says Google doesn't scan files for viruses if they are over 25mb or something. This is the only assurance I can give I guess there.

bpqggrahxmkk.png

There is going to be other stuff I tackle later this week but for now this lets people dip their toes.

I'd suggest putting the download link in the original post, because it will be buried shortly under newer posts.

Done
    CahirStummvonBordwehr
    edited August 2021
    Its kind of on GitHub? Idk, I couldn't get the .exe to appear. But that's easy enough for people to deal with.

https://github.com/yellow-hat-elminster/Eve-Of-War/releases
    Post edited by elminster on
    jasteyGrammarsalad
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    @elminster have a look at @ALIEN 's "Infinity Auto Packager" to make automated zip packages upon release.
    elminster
    First, I'm happy to see the mod getting a release of sorts! There is really cool and impressive (and scary) ideas in the first post.
    Is there a summary of what of all those ideas is included in the current version?

And -some nitpicks after scanning the folder very briefly. I'm putting this here before I forget about them again:
    -the d-files add reply options via EXTEND_TOP. This changes the numbering of the existent reply options which is usually unfair for other mods that want to add triggers or transacions to certain reply options. @argent77 wrote a function that makes sure the correct reply options get tagged even if their number shifted, but not every mod uses it yet.

-e.g. in "k9alatos.d" there are new greetings dialogues to an existing game cre that might never show because they do not have a WEIGHT assigned to them. Also, new greetings dialogues should always only be temporary so the original one / states of other mods do not get blocked forever, i.e. closing variables should be added always after the mod content is done. (e.g. in state "k926" in case the PC declines to help the variable "Global("k9thiefhelps","GLOBAL",3)" is not changed, so state "k926" would trigger again (maybe for the rest of the game) although the journal entry was closed).

-portraits: If it's NWN or IWD(II) ones it should be fine, otherwise copyright should be checked. And one portrait looks like Corwin in SoD (not sure what it's used for in Eve of War)
    elminsterStummvonBordwehrAcifer
    edited August 2021
    It's used for Corwin.

One of the portraits was made by @Lolien for Yeorg years ago. The rest are from Icewind Dale or aren't used. I'll delete them.
    jasteyStummvonBordwehr
    edited August 2021
    All fair points about the dialog. I'll see what I can do about getting them addressed. In Alatos's case he disappears by chapter 7 normally. But I can see what you mean what I have now could create conflicts with other mods with it (particularly in chapters 5/6).

The Readme on GitHub is the most up to date summary for it. But its not yet completed.

https://github.com/yellow-hat-elminster/Eve-Of-War/blob/main/README.md
    StummvonBordwehrjasteyCommunard
    I'm reposting here some observations from Nerogami on Infinity Engine discord regarding potential compatibility issues with other mods to not loose them:
    • "You don't lose the game if the two grand dukes are killed in the ceremony, provided you've saved Eltan." -> I don't think that can work with Endless BG1 since you need Belt alive to transfer into SoD/BG2
    • The Friendly Arm Inn's courtyard has been converted into a makeshift warcamp. Flaming Fist troops can be found training in it (chapter 5 or later). -> Shadows of the Sword Coast (SotSC) adds wizard and kobold there, not sure about that
    • Firewine area - SotSC also changes the area to wild magic zone

bonewhitegloryjasteyStummvonBordwehrelminster
    Regarding EndlessBG1: I think I went with "the Dukes have clerics for this" and resurrected at least Duke Belt in case he was killed during the fight with Sarevok (I wasn't aware that's not possible, considering the game has a failsafe for this). I can check. It's done easily enough.

As far as I understood - I didn't read the description carefully enough yet - this mod also moves Brage into the garrison and makes his quest solvable by a Remove Curse spell? This might need some Crossmod tweaking with regard to the Brage's Sword quest (bgqe) and Brage's Redemption. This should be doable as long as Brage was cursed by the sword when meeting him the first time, the rest is cosmetics.
    StummvonBordwehrelminster
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited August 2021
    @elminster I've filed the first PR (it's pretty minuscule in practice) to set up the community standards folder structure. I intend to take a deeper look during next month, but I thought this would be good for a start.
    jasteyelminster