Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Noober's Game

179111213

Comments

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    edited September 20
    Killing the seneschal has zero effect later in the quest; it doesn't even set a variable.
    Arvia wrote: »
    Leave the town and head to Mount Redigar.

    As you turn to the north, heading out of town, a short, balding man approaches you meekly, hat in hand. "Excuse me, ma'am," he begins, "but you look as though you are made of the stuff of heroes. Would you free our town from the clutches of Lord Fernault and his soldiers?"

    Responses:
    1. Indicate that you will.
    2. Say that you will for the right price.
    3. Say that you are too busy at the moment.

    (Oops, got the colors wrong at first)

    Post edited by jmerry on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,032
    1. Indicate that you will.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Grond0 wrote: »
    1. Indicate that you will.

    "Oh, thank you, THANK YOU!" He shakes your hand furiously. "We do not have anything to pay you with right now, for Fernault's greed is so great that he has stripped our land bare of anything of value. However, anyone that can storm his fortress and kill him will undoubtedly find his vaults filled to overflowing with gold. Now good luck to you, and fare thee well!"


    (missing connective bit; you meet a little girl. I'm pretty sure the text for it isn't in the files at all)


    "The soldiers were fighting amongst themselves, so they agreed to split up. One group took our wagon and horses and headed west. Another took my mother and brother and headed east." You look on the ground and, sure enough, there are tracks leading both east and west. The soldiers made no attempt to conceal their movement, so both paths would be easy enough to follow.

    Responses:
    1. Head west in pursuit of the wagon and horses.
    2. Head east in pursuit of the girl's mother and brother.
    3. Forget the entire mess and continue north towards Mount Redigar.

  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,238
    2. Head east in pursuit of the girl's mother and brother.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    2. Head east in pursuit of the girl's mother and brother.

    The path east winds around several low hills and into a lightly forested area. The sun filters down through the canopy, and the birds chirp merrily in the cool breeze. Overall, it is a not unpleasant journey.


    As the light fades, you come to a break in the trees that harbors a small camp. Within, a single large humanoid figure absently pokes a stick into a fire pit while two frightened humans—a woman and a young boy—sit opposite, wide-eyed with fear.


    The large humanoid shifts position so that you can clearly see its face, and your initial suspicion is confirmed. It is an ogre, the smallest and weakest of the giant-kin, but nevertheless much larger and stronger than a human. Looking around, you see no other guards for the two prisoners. The ogre sighs and continues poking his stick into the fire disinterestedly.

    Responses:
    1. Sneak up behind the ogre and attack him.
    2. Wait for a better opportunity.
    3. Leave the captives to their fate and continue to Mount Redigar.

    So, you go for the same side as last time. (This isn't one of those "only one right answer" choices; all three paths are viable, and even the option to skip both encounters and head forward unlocks options at the mountain.)

  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,197
    2. Wait for a better opportunity.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    2. Wait for a better opportunity.

    You hunch down into the tall grass to observe the ogre and wait for a better opportunity. Every so often, the beast stops poking the fire long enough to look around—thereby hinting at the existence of others out foraging for food or supplies—but none ever return. At last, long after night has settled over the camp, the ogre slumps down and closes its eyes. A few minutes later, you hear the unmistakable sound of snoring.

    Responses:
    1. Sneak up on the beast and kill it.
    2. Sneak around to the prisoners and free them.
    3. Leave the captives to their fate and continue to Mount Redigar.

  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,238
    2. Sneak around to the prisoners and free them.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    2. Sneak around to the prisoners and free them.

    Silently, you make your way to the two prisoners on the opposite side of the fire. They awaken as you approach, but you motion for them to be quiet as you slice through their bonds with your sword. Within moments, they are free.


    You escort the two former prisoners back to the site of the attack and the young girl still hiding in the grass. The small group again mourns their dead but thanks you for reuniting those that are left. The three depart on foot towards Berenford to the south, and you are left to continue traveling north towards Mount Redigar.


    The path north is uneventful, and a quick encampment allows you to get a few hours' rest before continuing north in the early morning. Before long, you come upon a single traveler going in the opposite direction. He leans heavily on a walking stick, and his gray beard blends perfectly into his flowing robes. "Excuse me, ma'am," he beckons to you, "You look to be a warrior of some skill. Would you, by chance, be traveling to see Lord Fernault at Mount Redigar?"

    Responses:
    1. Tell him you are going to rid the region of Lord Fernault.
    2. Tell him you are going to try to join Lord Fernault's army.
    3. Deny that you are going to Mount Redigar.
    4. Ignore him and continue north to Mount Redigar.

    You played it safe - no risky die roll, but also no ring because you didn't kill the ogre.

  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,197
    1. Tell him you are going to rid the region of Lord Fernault.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    1. Tell him you are going to rid the region of Lord Fernault.

    "Ah, I was right. You look just the type, and so I have a gift for you." From his pack, he takes a ragged gray cloak that looks to have been singed in a fire and hands it to you.

    Responses:
    1. Thank him and put the cloak on.
    2. Ask him why you would want an old cloak.
    3. Refuse the gift.

  • ArviaArvia Member, Moderator Posts: 1,971
    1. Thank him and put the cloak on.

  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,197
    Heh, given our last attempt, I bet this is going to prove to be quite useful.

    ArviaGrond0
  • ArviaArvia Member, Moderator Posts: 1,971
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    Heh, given our last attempt, I bet this is going to prove to be quite useful.

    If we make it past the guards first.

    Zaghoul
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Arvia wrote: »
    1. Thank him and put the cloak on.

    The cloak is light, but amazingly sturdy given its decrepit appearance. You feel a slight warmth as you pull it around you, but it is otherwise unremarkable. The man smiles at you. "Keep that cloak with you when you meet Lord Fernault. You will need it," he says as he continues south. All other questions are met only with a shake of his head as he fades into the distance. You turn back to the road north.


    You travel north another day and spend another fitful night beneath the stars before at last reaching Redigar in the morning. The lonely mountain dominates the sky, and you can see a curl of smoke issuing forth from the summit. It doesn't take long for you to locate a cave entrance that is remarkably unguarded. You venture within.


    The torchlit passage slopes downwards for some way before evening out, and a breeze—warm, dry, and stifling—washes over you and causes the torchlight to dance playfully on the walls. From far away, you hear a strange, guttural barking in a tongue you do not understand, but you soon realize that it is, in fact, singing. The voice is rough, deep, and completely inhuman.


    The singing grows louder as you approach a doorway. Peeking around the edge, you see a crude kitchen with scattered tables holding a plethora of haphazard spices, foodstuffs, and cooking implements. A large fire pit dominates the center of the room, over which hangs a heavy boiling cauldron supported by an iron rod set between two massive oaken beams. A troll, humming a tuneless melody, uses a human femur to stir the contents.


    The passage leads onward past the doorway and further into the mountain. You also see a second passage out of the kitchen directly across from your position, although the troll lies between you and it.

    Responses:
    1. Continue further along the same passage.
    2. Attack the troll.
    3. Try to sneak past the troll to the second passage.

    You have a magic cloak. Unidentified, but you can probably guess what it does.

  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,197
    1. Continue further along the same passage.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    1. Continue further along the same passage.

    The passage descends a bit further, and before long you hear the sound of rough laughter. You slowly approach a doorway at the end of the hallway to see several human guards playing cards and drinking profusely. They joke raucously as they throw bits of meat or slugs of ale at each other and generally act like drunken degenerates. You see another exit further into the mountain directly across the room from you.

    Responses:
    1. Return back up the passage to the troll.
    2. Attack the guards.
    3. Enter the room authoritatively and bluff your way past the guards.

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,852
    edited September 22
    OOC: I'm not going to attempt an answer here (mainly because there don't seem to be any good ones!) but we seem to be heading down the same path as last time but with worse equipment. Going back and attacking the troll seems like a really bad idea but maybe it would give some kind of reward? Because even if we get past these guards we are going to end up fighting the dragon with the same magic sword as last time - and that didn't go so well.

    ZaghoulArvia
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,197
    edited September 22
    OOC: I was thinking the same thing, about going back to the troll instead of risking all the guards. It would be nice to see where the other passage goes as well.

    Permidion_StarkArvia
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,852
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    OOC: I was thinking the same thing, about going back to the troll instead of risking all the guards. It would be nice to see where the other passage goes as well.

    OOC: Okay. So long as I can share the blame around!

    Return back up the passage to the troll.

    ZaghoulBalrog99Arvia
  • ArviaArvia Member, Moderator Posts: 1,971
    (I thought the same. Curiosity about the other passage, a possibility for finding something else to help us in the final fight, and the fact that without the ring, taking on several guards might be complicated, even if they're drunk. Bullying our way past them might be difficult too in this current game, as we're playing a female character and jmerry said there are gender checks for some encounters)

    ZaghoulPermidion_Stark
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,852
    Arvia wrote: »
    (Bullying our way past them might be difficult too in this current game, as we're playing a female character and jmerry said there are gender checks for some encounters)

    I hadn't thought of that but I agree. I don't think we can rely on Noober to be enlightened.

    Arvia
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    No gender checks for encounters - it's just for how the character gets addressed. Bluffing your way past the enemies does check for something, but it's a variable set by your decisions in the game, rather than something external like gender.

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,852
    @jmerry Just in case you missed it we are going for:

    1. Return back up the passage to the troll.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Ah, thanks. I did miss it.
    1. Return back up the passage to the troll.

    You turn and head back up the tunnel to your previous location. Soon, the sound of guttural singing has once more replaced that of raucous laughter.


    The singing grows louder as you approach a doorway. Peeking around the edge, you see a crude kitchen with scattered tables holding a plethora of haphazard spices, foodstuffs, and cooking implements. A large fire pit dominates the center of the room, over which hangs a heavy boiling cauldron supported by an iron rod set between two massive oaken beams. A troll, humming a tuneless melody, uses a human femur to stir the contents.


    The passage leads onward past the doorway and further into the mountain. You also see a second passage out of the kitchen directly across from your position, although the troll lies between you and it.

    Responses:
    1. Continue further along the same passage.
    2. Attack the troll.
    3. Try to sneak past the troll to the second passage.

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,852
    OOC: I'm thinking sneaking past the troll might be hard. So I vote we attack it. But I also think attacking it is likely to lead to almost certain death . . .

    Balrog99ArviaZaghoul
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,238
    OOC: I'm thinking sneaking past the troll might be hard. So I vote we attack it. But I also think attacking it is likely to lead to almost certain death . . .

    I vote throw caution to the wind and attack! I already got a thief killed though, so somebody else needs to pull the trigger this time... 😎

    Zaghoul
  • ArviaArvia Member, Moderator Posts: 1,971
    edited September 22
    I vote for attack too, the sneak past option seems unlikely to work without the ring of invisibility. And trying to sneak, being discovered and then having to fight might be a disadvantage compared to attacking on our terms.

    2. Attack the troll. Possibly yelling something intimidating.

    Zaghoul
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,032
    edited September 22
    2. Attack the troll.

    OOC: the invisibility ring is useless against the dragon, while the cloak we have this time is probably not - it provides at least some fire resistance I suspect. Therefore the magic sword might have a bit more chance to come into play this time - but I agree that we probably need more ...

    Zaghoul
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,294
    Counting all the posts and agreement markers, it's five votes for an attack and none for anything else.
    Grond0 wrote: »
    2. Attack the troll.

    You are upon the troll in a flash. Surprised, the monster turns and raises its arm in defense as your blade cleaves cleanly through the limb and bites deep into its chest. It staggers backward, howling terribly, and steadies itself against one of the great oaken beams.


    You move to continue the assault when you feel something grab your ankle. Looking down, you notice the arm you severed appears to have a life of its own, as it grabs at your feet and tries to trip you. You look up to see the troll smiling macabrely at you. As you watch, a new arm sprouts from the stump, and the massive wound you carved into its chest closes and heals. Within moments, the monster is whole again.

    Responses:
    1. Continue the attack with your sword.
    2. Try to shake the severed arm off your foot.
    3. Run away.
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Therefore the magic sword might have a bit more chance to come into play this time - but I agree that we probably need more ...

    OOC: In the initial version, the magic sword was an automatic win on one die roll and irrelevant otherwise. I've upgraded it to +1 on all sword-based die rolls, as part of my general upgrade of the player's chances.
    Slicing the troll's arm off was not a die roll; you're good enough to do that automatically, with the advantage of surprise. It just that trolls regenerate...

Sign In or Register to comment.