Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Noober's Game

178101213

Comments

  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,255
    edited September 22
    Well, running with a severed arm attached to your foot probably isn't a viable option. So...

    2) Try to shake the severed arm off your foot.

    Personally, I'd throw it into the stew myself. Regenerate now b%*^#!

    Post edited by Balrog99 on
    Permidion_Stark
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    2) Try to shake the severed arm off your foot.

    Personally, I'd throw it into the stew myself. Regenerate now ****!

    You use your sword as a lever to pry the fingers from around your ankles and then shake your foot furiously to kick the severed arm away. The limb bounces on the floor a couple times before landing in the cooking fire with a loud pop. Suddenly, the troll emits the first true howl of pain you've heard from it, and the arm twitches in the flame for a brief time before finally shriveling to a black crisp and dissolving to ash.

    Responses:
    1. Continue to attack the troll with your sword.
    2. Try to push the whole beast into the fire pit.
    3. Grab a torch from a wall sconce and use the makeshift club to attack the troll.
    4. Flee Mount Redigar and abandon the quest.

    Not too far off on that stew suggestion. And while there isn't a user named "#", the forum software still wants to turn your censoring into a profile link.

    Balrog99Grond0
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,856
    OOC: I'm thinking grabbing a torch from a wall sconce is a better option that trying to push a troll around?

    ZaghoulBalrog99
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,255
    edited September 22
    jmerry wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    2) Try to shake the severed arm off your foot.

    Personally, I'd throw it into the stew myself. Regenerate now ****!

    You use your sword as a lever to pry the fingers from around your ankles and then shake your foot furiously to kick the severed arm away. The limb bounces on the floor a couple times before landing in the cooking fire with a loud pop. Suddenly, the troll emits the first true howl of pain you've heard from it, and the arm twitches in the flame for a brief time before finally shriveling to a black crisp and dissolving to ash.

    Responses:
    1. Continue to attack the troll with your sword.
    2. Try to push the whole beast into the fire pit.
    3. Grab a torch from a wall sconce and use the makeshift club to attack the troll.
    4. Flee Mount Redigar and abandon the quest.

    Not too far off on that stew suggestion. And while there isn't a user named "#", the forum software still wants to turn your censoring into a profile link.

    Fixed it. Poor at sign had to be replaced...

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,856
    3. Grab a torch from a wall sconce and use the makeshift club to attack the troll.

    Arvia
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    3. Grab a torch from a wall sconce and use the makeshift club to attack the troll.

    Seeing the flaming club in your hand, the troll loses courage and begins to slowly give way, its arms raised in front of its face in defense. You lunge forward, thrusting the torch like a sword under the defending limbs to score a direct hit on the beast's chest. It howls in pain and, realizing it has nowhere to run, finally moves to the attack, but you bring the club up in a backhanded swing and connect with its jaw.


    You decisively press your advantage, and the troll again cedes ground, only this time it trips on one of the many piles of debris and plunges to the floor. You move quickly on the beast, hitting it repeatedly with the flame as it howls in pain and tries to crawl away. Within moments, it is still, and you use the torch to light the entire body on fire. Soon, the once-massive troll is little more than a pile of ash. You take a moment to collect both your bearings and your dropped gear and then proceed out the door opposite from where you entered.


    A short distance later, the passage widens into a room roughly thirty feet square with a recess in the far wall that is covered by heavy iron bars surrounding a crude, locked oaken door. At first, you see only darkness when you peer into the gloom behind the bars, but then the shadows shift and two figures emerge: a middle-aged man with piercing blue eyes and a wild, unkempt beard and a pretty young girl in her teens.


    The man eyes you warily. "You don't look familiar," he states hesitantly. "Are you with our captors?"

    Responses:
    1. Answer that you are not.
    2. Answer that you are.
    3. Ask who they are.
    Die roll against troll (d6): 6. 5+ needed for success. The troll is dead and you have earned one action point.

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,856
    Answer that you are not.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    Answer that you are not.

    He sighs, "I am Aldaron and this is Peldea, both of the village of Berenford. Peldea is a hostage kept here to ensure her father, a blacksmith, works adequately to supply Lord Fernault's troops with weapons. I came here some days ago hoping to talk the lord into leaving the region, and if he would not see reason, I was prepared to kill him. I am a priest of Lathander, you see, and I thought the Morninglord would protect me, but I was not prepared for what I found here."


    "I convinced the guards to let me meet Lord Fernault. They laughed, but in the end, they agreed. But when I was led into his chamber, I saw very little of Fernault. It was a huge cavern, and he spoke from the shadows. I pleaded with him to leave, but he gave my request no regard. After a few minutes, he tired of the conversation, and that's when he made his move."


    "The shadow itself surrounded me. I could barely take it in before I was knocked unconscious. The next thing I knew, I awoke in this cell, and I've been a prisoner ever since. I never got a good look at Lord Fernault, but this I know. He is most definitely not human, nor is he an elf or dwarf or anything else you might expect."


    "Now, I would beg you to free us, but the key is in Fernault's chamber, and I fear you will have no better luck than I did. However, if you can recover the keys and free me, I shall help you do battle with Lord Fernault if you so choose." You bid the pair farewell and continue on further into the mountain.


    The passage into the mountain now takes a deep plunge, and the air becomes stifling as the little breeze that once existed stills. After some time, the tunnel gives way to a large cavern dotted by torches that fail to completely illuminate the gloom. A crude throne sits upon a stone dais hewn into the far end, and the cavern is littered with large piles of coins and jewels.

    Responses:
    1. Enter the cavern cautiously.
    2. Enter the cavern boldly.

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,856
    OOC: Well seeing as we were invisible the last time we went in and he still saw us I say we . . .

    2. Enter the cavern boldly.

    Balrog99Zaghoul
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    2. Enter the cavern boldly.

    You stride confidently into the chamber, coolly surveying the cavern for any signs of movement. The air is now so hot that sweat pours down your face, and you hear nothing except the popping of the flickering torches. Suddenly, a voice rings out in the gloom.


    "I see you, puny one," slithers the mellifluous tenor. The voice echoes around the cavern, but you are unable to see any living being through the gloom. "I am curious as to why you have entered the domain of Fernault the Ravager. That you have done so proves you are either very brave... or very stupid."

    Responses:
    1. Ask that Fernault leave the people here in peace.
    2. Demand that Fernault leave the people here in peace.
    3. Ask that Fernault free his two prisoners.
    4. Demand that Fernault free his two prisoners.
    5. State that you are a treasure hunter and are here for the gold and jewels.

  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,197
    4. Demand that Fernault free his two prisoners.

    OOC: Whelp, let's get right into it then. At least we have a cloak and an action point from the troll.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    edited September 23
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    4. Demand that Fernault free his two prisoners.

    The voice sneers, "You are in no position to make demands of me, maggot! It is MY word that is law here, not yours!"

    Responses:
    1. Threaten the voice with death if it does not give in to your demands.
    2. Offer gold if the voice will give in to your demands.

  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 4,197
    edited September 23
    1. Threaten the voice with death if it does not give in to your demands.

    OOC: I wonder if the option to go after the wagon and horses would have provided some gold to use here?

    Balrog99Permidion_Stark
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    1. Threaten the voice with death if it does not give in to your demands.

    "Death? YOU think to cause MY death? So very foolish. But at least you are right in sensing that this conversation is bound to lead nowhere but violence."


    The very shadows begin to shift and coalesce into a frightening figure—tall, muscular, and bulky—that stands up, filling the cavern. Two expansive wings explode outwards and a pair of massive paws bearing a bevy of two-foot-long talons scrape down upon the floor a few feet in front of you. The entire figure is coated in thick scales, a seemingly impenetrable armor dark maroon in color.


    Two yellow orbs fly open above you and are soon joined by hissing fangs and smoking nostrils. "You wanted Fernault the Ravager?" the beast asks in the same lilting tenor that seems strangely light considering its girth. "Well, now you've got Fernault the Ravager!"


    The sight of the massive dragon is overwhelming, and fear begins to well up in you uncontrollably. You turn to flee, but the moment you sever your gaze from the creature, the fear dissipates to a controllable level. You have little time to think on it further as you draw your sword and turn to face the creature.


    The fanged jaws open and begin to inhale air in such volume that you fear you might be sucked up into them. Looking deep into the beast's throat, you see the air intake is acting as a bellows within the creature's gut. The great furnace within is even now building a large flame that erupts into the creature's throat, and you realize with dread that the air that is getting sucked in must also eventually be blown out. You dive back into the narrow passage, hoping the walls will protect you from the inferno about to be unleashed.


    The flames envelop you completely, and you know you must be burned alive, yet you remain amazingly unaffected. In fact, you view the flames around you curiously—almost academically—as they curl around you, hungrily licking your hands, face, and body while doing absolutely no harm to you. Eventually, the flames relent, and you turn around in the soot-blackened tunnel.


    You see a large reptilian eye peering up the tunnel at you. "Ahh..." the dragon exclaims as the eye widens in understanding. "The cloak you wear is enchanted with flame resistance. Very clever, mortal, but my talons and fangs are still more than enough. Come back out here and face me!"

    Responses:
    1. Return to the cavern and face the dragon.
    2. Leave Mount Redigar and abandon the quest.
    Roll (d6) versus dragon fear: 6. 5+ required for success. Though that fear save isn't the most important - if you fail it, you run away from the cavern so the dragon can't kill you immediately.

    No roll versus the fire, as the cloak grants full-on immunity.

    And now, you get the chance to use your sword.

  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,032
    1. Return to the cavern and face the dragon.

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    Grond0 wrote: »
    1. Return to the cavern and face the dragon.

    You return to the cavern, sword in hand, to find the dragon eying you with what might be described—remotely—as respect. "No fear, no flames," it mutters. "Looks like we'll have to do this the old-fashioned way!" Without any further warning, it swipes a massive talon towards you!


    You dodge the massive paw with an acrobatic roll and come up, sword swinging. You connect, severing one of the dragon's talons. The beast howls in rage and pushes upwards, wings outstretched into the gloom, but a telltale thud followed by collapsing rock reveals that the monster's mobility is severely restricted in what for it is a small space.


    Frustrated by his inability to maneuver, Fernault launches at you, this time with fangs bared!

    Responses:
    1. Meet its fangs with your sword head-on.
    2. Take cover in the hallway.
    3. Run towards the stone dais to gain some height.
    Roll d6+1 versus dragon claws: 6+1=7. Success (6 or more required). But it takes more than one success to beat the dragon.

    And yes, I've just rolled three natural sixes in a row for you this run.

  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,032
    3. Run towards the stone dais to gain some height.

    ArviaPermidion_Stark
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    Grond0 wrote: »
    3. Run towards the stone dais to gain some height.

    You climb the first several steps by the time Fernault has properly rounded on you. As his maw again comes in for the kill, you drop to the floor and allow yourself to slide back down the steps until you are positioned under the jaw. You thrust upwards with your sword, piercing through the scales and burying your blade to the hilt. Fernault howls and rears backwards, pulling you up to a standing position as you wrench the blade free from its bleeding jaw. The dragon emits a mighty roar that again shakes debris loose from the ceiling.


    You realize you cannot dodge or parry all three attacks at once, but...

    Hold on, I accidentally skipped a page. Let's do that again, on the right page...

    The creature roars at you, blood trickling from its jaw. "Perhaps you are not so weak as I once imagined," it concedes warily, "but you are still little more than a worm compared to my draconic majesty! It is now time to end this!" Fernault again lunges, this time bringing both of his claws and his mouth to bear.



    You realize you cannot dodge or parry all three attacks at once, but you DO see an opportunity. With Fernault intently staring at you and his face lunging in for the kill, you see as in slow-motion his eyes are opened wide and growing ever larger in your view. A well-placed strike would pierce his brain and kill him. With no other options, you hurl your sword haft over blade like a giant knife right at the creature's eye...

    OOC: Another minor error, patched - one of the options linked one state ahead in the chain. Also, no actual choice for the next step, just another die roll. Which I've already rolled, but I'll leave the cliffhanger here for a bit...
    Die roll versus dragon fangs (d6+1): 5+1=6. Success (6 required). The magic sword did its thing. And you still have that action point in reserve, so the next die roll won't kill you.

    Permidion_StarkArvia
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,856
    1. Yes, I enjoyed it very much.

    OOC: Yay! We won! Nice work guys. I think we deserve forum badges . . .

    And special thanks to @jmerry for running it. It was a lot of work.

    ArviaZaghoul
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    1. Yes, I enjoyed it very much.

    I'm glad to hear it. Would you, by chance, like to play again or perhaps choose another class?

    Responses:
    1. Okay, perhaps I will try another class.
    2. No, I would rather quit.

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,856
    OOC: Haven't we completed all the quests now?

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    OOC: We have, but that's not tracked in the dialogue. Repeating paths is always allowed.

  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,856
    OOC: I figure I would like to finish on a high so my vote is

    2. No, I would rather quit.

    OOC: But don't let me stop anyone else who wants to try the paths we didn't take.

    Zaghoul
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    2. No, I would rather quit.

    Quit? I can't believe you'd really choose to quit such a fun game. Are you sure?

    Responses:
    1. Okay, perhaps I will try another class.
    2. Yes, I am sure.

    OOC: This is Noober here. Of course he's not going to take one no for an answer.

    Permidion_StarkBalrog99Zaghoul
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    2. Yes, I am sure.

    How about now?

    Responses:
    1. Okay, perhaps I will try another class.
    2. Yes, even now.

  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,255
    I can't believe there isn't a story arc for cleric or druid. What a gyp!
    😠

  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 2,314
    2. Yes, even now.

    What about now?

    Responses:
    1. Okay, perhaps I will try another class.
    2. Oh, not this again!

Sign In or Register to comment.