Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Logic

1717273747577»

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    If 60 gold is a week's income for a family of 3+, then pawning off that Ring of Wizardry could let you live comfortably for about three years, or perhaps less comfortably with some roommates for nine years.

If you didn't have to worry about the bounty on your head, that is.

Not hard to imagine why Bentley and Gallana Mirrorshade decided to cash out eventually and just start up a small business. If Cosmic Circumstance doesn't conspire to keep you adventuring then really you've only gotta save the sword coast once to be set for life. Buy some land, set up shop, do something fun that doesn't require you to risk life and limb every day.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    So, if nobody has been staying there for years, who turned on the lights?? :p

qbwqjbcw753o.png
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Chronicler wrote: »
    There is a kind of weird discrepancy between the economy the characters of this world seem to be operating under, and the economy you, the player operate under.

There's a quest where some mother asks you to save her boy who got trapped in a lighthouse. She offers you "All the money my husband brought back from the market this last week", a whopping 60 Gold Pieces, which she needs to buy food and clothes and such for her children. Meanwhile you've got like a hundred thousand gold just sitting in your wallet with no more pressing commitment than whatever shiny new killing implement catches your eye next.

Yeah, even among the world of adventurers, the player characters are usually incredibly, obscenely rich. (And also usually unbelievably lucky. ;) ). But despite the immense wealth held in magic items, the net value of adventurers is actually still chump change compared to the world of mercantile and nobility. For example, that peasant family making 60 gold a week (it's probably actually more like 60 silver, not gold, but anyway), imagine being a Duke who has hundreds of vassals, and each one of them probably commands a similar wage, with more trained/specialized followers costing even more. Then there is the matter of upkeep for your holdings, as well as resources like timber, ore, stone, food etc. to be bought for your land ("Milord, the spring floods washed away the old bridge and it needs to be rebuilt! Milord, the apple harvest was ruined by wood blight, and we'll need to purchase the shortfall from merchants! Milord, the Castellan reports that your army's equipment is in poor shape, and with the orc tribes getting bolder, we need to step up patrols on the borderlands!"), and your expenses are probably running into the thousands, if not tens of thousands, of gold a month. Selling that magic ring you found in your adventures isn't going to get you very far. ;)
  • The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    Zaxares wrote: »
    ("Milord, the spring floods washed away the old bridge and it needs to be rebuilt! Milord, the apple harvest was ruined by wood blight, and we'll need to purchase the shortfall from merchants! Milord, the Castellan reports that your army's equipment is in poor shape, and with the orc tribes getting bolder, we need to step up patrols on the borderlands!")
    "Milord, we need to outfit the Flaming Fist to march on Dragonspear Castle, but the city treasury contained only 9560 gold, a king's tears, an emerald, four diamonds, some magic arrows, and a magic shield - and even that seems to have been stolen!"

:p
  • The_Baffled_KingThe_Baffled_King Member Posts: 147
    @Montresor_SP
    So, if nobody has been staying there for years, who turned on the lights??
    Hah! This was a good one.

There is a kind of weird discrepancy between the economy the characters of this world seem to be operating under, and the economy you, the player operate under.

There's a quest where some mother asks you to save her boy who got trapped in a lighthouse. She offers you "All the money my husband brought back from the market this last week", a whopping 60 Gold Pieces, which she needs to buy food and clothes and such for her children. Meanwhile you've got like a hundred thousand gold just sitting in your wallet with no more pressing commitment than whatever shiny new killing implement catches your eye next.

Yeah, even among the world of adventurers, the player characters are usually incredibly, obscenely rich. (And also usually unbelievably lucky. ;) ). But despite the immense wealth held in magic items, the net value of adventurers is actually still chump change compared to the world of mercantile and nobility. For example, that peasant family making 60 gold a week (it's probably actually more like 60 silver, not gold, but anyway), imagine being a Duke who has hundreds of vassals, and each one of them probably commands a similar wage, with more trained/specialized followers costing even more. Then there is the matter of upkeep for your holdings, as well as resources like timber, ore, stone, food etc. to be bought for your land ("Milord, the spring floods washed away the old bridge and it needs to be rebuilt! Milord, the apple harvest was ruined by wood blight, and we'll need to purchase the shortfall from merchants! Milord, the Castellan reports that your army's equipment is in poor shape, and with the orc tribes getting bolder, we need to step up patrols on the borderlands!"), and your expenses are probably running into the thousands, if not tens of thousands, of gold a month. Selling that magic ring you found in your adventures isn't going to get you very far. ;)

As in The Forgotten Realms, as in Real Life.

You don't make a billion dollars by working hard. You make a billion dollars by getting other people to work hard for you.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    ("Milord, the spring floods washed away the old bridge and it needs to be rebuilt! Milord, the apple harvest was ruined by wood blight, and we'll need to purchase the shortfall from merchants! Milord, the Castellan reports that your army's equipment is in poor shape, and with the orc tribes getting bolder, we need to step up patrols on the borderlands!")
    "Milord, we need to outfit the Flaming Fist to march on Dragonspear Castle, but the city treasury contained only 9560 gold, a king's tears, an emerald, four diamonds, some magic arrows, and a magic shield - and even that seems to have been stolen!"

:p

>.>

<.<

*casts Invisibility and flees*
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Invisibility? Hah. In my latest run, Shar-Teel (dual-classed to thief) pulled off the heist with nothing but her natural stealth skill.
    (Sneak to the locked door. Click on a weapon to stop stealth mode without becoming visible, wait a round for stealth to be available again. Unlock the door, then hide again before the guards can react. Repeat to open the door, then sneak in to the actual treasury room where the guards' sightlines are blocked. Loot the treasury chest, then head out under stealth without any trouble.)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited May 2022
    It reminds me of an old Second Edition world that never made its way to computer games as far as I know: Birthright. The players were nobles, with access to world changings spells and had to administer their lands. It also had rules for mass combat so that you could quickly resolve army combat. You still went on adventures but the style was quite different.
    Gorion: Kills a naughty Charname with an insta-death-spell.

Also Gorion: Fights Sarevok & Co. with (gasp!!!1!) Magic Missile, Fireball, Melf's Acid Arrow, ... Apparently he lost 27 levels leaving Candlekeep.
    Turns out Gorion had placed a Geas on you, in case you went down a "Dark Path". He can instantly kill you at any time but this does not apply to the general populace.
    Turns out Gorion had placed a Geas on you, in case you went down a "Dark Path". He can instantly kill you at any time but this does not apply to the general populace.

Point conceded! :D:D
    So Huldrik lives in the wilderness with his cow - and sleeps under the open sky - right next to an abandoned house??

4pd623rs7mch.png

On a more Rorschach note, am I the only one who can see both a raven perched on a stone AND a man lying down picking his nose in this picture?

08uqjrwzcxpa.png
    edited September 2022
    If you can successfully transform Firkraag into a squirrel, he can still carry a magical two-handed sword, 1,500 gold pieces, dragon scales, a cloak, and a magical scroll. I mean, where does he hide all that? It all becomes visible only when you kill him.

If you ask The Surgeon in the area west of High Hedge about his background, he tells you that he is traveling the land and helping people to atone for not killing his brother - and evil mage named Davaeorn.

For some reason, if you meet The Surgeon after Chapter 4, you can not tell him that you have in fact met, and killed, his evil brother in the Cloakwood mines.
    Post edited by Montresor_SP on
    So, Fear likes flesh, heh heh heh!

Then why does Fear attack the one enemy who has no flesh on its bones?

o235xpbc5o8x.png
  • Adrienne23Adrienne23 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2023
    Hey, i saw an amazing post on the Baldur's Gate III released into early access. Consider reading this and tell me if you also think team has done amazing work enhanced editions and introducing these classics to new audiences.

Post edited by Adrienne23 on
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    edited February 2023
    Adrienne23 wrote:
    Hey, i saw an amazing post on the Baldur's Gate III released into early access. Consider reading this and tell me if you also think team has done amazing work enhanced editions and introducing these classics to new audiences.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/75677/baldurs-gate-iii-released-(sinuano-noche)-into-early-access#latest

SPAM ! (Deleted...)

Post edited by JohnBob on
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2023
    It's so nice to see this thread again. How is everyone? I'll probably dissappear again since I'm not able to play the game properly rn but I just wanted to let everyone know I'm alive
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on