Skip to content

[mod] Tangled Oak Isle

Comments

• mrb101mrb101 Member Posts: 66
    So i was browsing the items from this mod in near infinity and noticed there was a few items i never found while playing like a flail that does extra damage to dragons and vampires a cloak that increases spell duration by 50% and some others. where are these from?
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    There is some Chapter 6 content in the mod: new store items available and the continuation of the Book Club quest.
    Oh i thought i already completed the book club quest
    I got taken to the room and killed the the thing there got the orb and took that to the antisocial noble and he gave me an item is that not the end?
    After the Book Club is gone and you return from the Underdark, you will encounter a man from which the Book Club borrowed books and scrolls. And that will lead to the final part of the quest that allow you to both tell him what happened, but also trigger another small investigation. But all of that happens after Underdark and if you completed the Book Club quest first

HOWEVER, some previous mods had a bug that prevented that quest from starting for some people. This should be fixed already, though :)
    OK thanks. I just wanted to say that your quest mods are awesome.
    Thanks! :)
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    After the Book Club is gone and you return from the Underdark, you will encounter a man from which the Book Club borrowed books and scrolls. And that will lead to the final part of the quest that allow you to both tell him what happened, but also trigger another small investigation. But all of that happens after Underdark and if you completed the Book Club quest first

HOWEVER, some previous mods had a bug that prevented that quest from starting for some people. This should be fixed already, though :)

Wow -- I had no idea that there was so much more to the Book Club! I thought that I had completed the quest a couple of times before but ...
    ...I've never encountered the man after the Underdark. Is he anywhere in particular (the same tavern as the book club)?
    Thanks!
    As I said, there was a bug that prevented him from spawning. He should be on the bridge leading to the island in the up to date version, iirc.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if I missed him because of the bug or because I just didn't go to the right place.

And thanks as well for your excellent Athkatla mods. I regard them as essential parts of the city now!
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    edited November 2022
    I'm playing an older version of this mod (v2.26, however the issue may affect newer versions too) and had a problem with the Xvart's quest. The snake did not spawn in Windspear Hills (AR1200). What fixed the problem was moving the script block responsible for spawning it from the bottom to the top of the area script. What this means is that there must be some block in my ar1200.bcs that's constantly executing and preventing the mod's script block from executing. Looking at my ar1200.bcs, it doesn't seem to have been modified by any other mod.
    Thanks for letting me know! I think it should be fixed now, but will double-check it next time I'm updating the mod!
    Cheers! :)
    Hi Lava, thanks again for this wonderful mod. My favourite element in it is the book club, so I was excited to try it again when I learned that there was a post-Underdark "epilogue."
    When my party returned to the Tangled Oak Island after their journey through the Underdark they encountered Nikt. After a few discussions, Nikt asked the party to meet him outside of the island's inn the next day.

Unfortunately, Nikt never appeared. Eventually, after a few days, I used the console to make him appear ("l#ni6cq"). That kicked off the next part of the quest properly, but then he failed to appear in the planar area. So I had to console him in again. After that, the quest proceeded as usual and ended in a satisfying way.

I thought I would mention this in case it's something that needs to be fixed.

Thanks again! B)
  • WulcyWulcy Member Posts: 32
    Yes! A great mod by a great modder. Check out his other mods at his website.
    Thank you!

Will take a look at this quest again when I'm updating the mod :)
    Now that I think of it...
    I used the console (control-T) to advance a few hours while waiting for Nikt. Perhaps he didn't appear because of that. I've noticed that sometimes merchants don't spawn properly when I've used control-T to jump ahead a couple of hours to the morning.
    I will probably check that anyway, at some point :)
  • VicenVicen Member Posts: 30
    edited June 2023
    Love all these quests in this zone! Truly, a wonder you are!
    Thank you! :)
  • Granger77Granger77 Member Posts: 14
    So I just discovered the existence of this mod today and whoa...it sounds so cool!!

I read on the download page that it can be installed before we enter the Slums for the first time.
    This is probably a stupid question: if I'm playing EET and currently in chapter 5 of BG1, could I still install Tangled Oak Isle? Or is it a bit too risky?

Apologies, I'm still relatively new to modding and try to understand the nuances.
    Thank you for your modding efforts, and your advice/guidance!
    I read on the download page that it can be installed before we enter the Slums for the first time.
    Sadly, that is a mistake on my side, this was most likely copied from Ooze's Lounge. To enjoy this game you will need to start a new game.

While I do not use EET myself, I believe it's the same for EET. Worldmap in your savegame is already missing the new area.

When using this mod, you may also want to get Southern Edge, Ooze's Lounge and Alabaster Sands. Together, these mods make Athkatla quite bigger.
  • Granger77Granger77 Member Posts: 14
    Aww dang it!

Alright, understood. Thanks for the recs and the quick response!
  • So...where is the old piece of clothing and the old house? I can't believe that people still have a good opinion on this mod, can't the creator just post a walktrough? Who ever think that is funny to enter every house y this boring place and not find anything? where can I rate this mod with an F++?
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    edited September 2023
    If you were a bit more polite, I would try to help you. But no😁 and I find it funny, but not this mod, just your reaction.
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 482
    I can't believe that people still have a good opinion on this mod, can't the creator just post a walktrough? Who ever think that is funny to enter every house y this boring place and not find anything? where can I rate this mod with an F++?
    Probably players reading dialogs and journal entries instead of relying on a walk-through ? Or players liking to explore new areas and not thinking it's boring to do so ?

• shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 174
    The only problem I had was with that dog thing. I couldn't find the required
    exit. Been a while since I last played it though. I kind of prefer Bridge Block
    and Southern Edge, largely because they are fairly straightforward and I
    don't have to think that much (I am a bad thinker).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Hey Lava. It took me so long to think about a solution, as in literal months of real life, but...
    zone of sweet air
    really is brilliant.
    Again, I thoroughly enjoy your mods.
  • shadowlichshadowlich Member Posts: 50
    edited March 27
    I like this great nice mod and found that :

L#NIBRI.bcs / ActionOverride(Player1,FaceObject("L#NIBRI")) : L#NIBRI is a missing deathvar
    L#NI13.are / xxxx.itm is missing , and should be useless because the door is flag as closed and you open it with script

L#NI09.wed is CORRUPTED, here is its weidu fix code :
    COPY_EXISTING "L#NI09.wed" Override
    	SET USELESS_BYTES_SIZE = 0x28

// Move data
    	FOR ( src = 0x35C dst = 0x35C - USELESS_BYTES_SIZE ; src < SOURCE_SIZE ; ++src ++dst ) BEGIN
    		WRITE_BYTE dst (BYTE_AT src)	
    	END

// Update meta data
    	WRITE_LONG 0x9C ((LONG_AT 0x9C) - USELESS_BYTES_SIZE)
    	WRITE_LONG 0xA0 ((LONG_AT 0xA0) - USELESS_BYTES_SIZE)
    	WRITE_LONG 0xA4 ((LONG_AT 0xA4) - USELESS_BYTES_SIZE)
    	WRITE_LONG 0xA8 ((LONG_AT 0xA8) - USELESS_BYTES_SIZE)

// Adjust file size
    	DELETE_BYTES (SOURCE_SIZE - USELESS_BYTES_SIZE) USELESS_BYTES_SIZE

L#NI13.are / xxxx.itm is missing , and should be useless because the door is flag as closed and you open it with script
    This one is more like a "failsafe" and I would rather keep a non-existent key check. It's not hurting anyone in there :) Will look at the other 2 things when I have a moment.
    I checked and it's not exactly corrupted, it's just resourced BG1EE area and it simply has overlays that I am not using but are there, but it's not affecting how the area actually looks, they are just "buried" in there, but are not displayed. Using the code you provided, most likely removes those entries entirely and the area goes crazy.

atqy06m7wpoo.png

Sorry, but I would rather have invisible and unused overlays in there rather than have the area go completely crazy :)

None of the reported things affect the game, actually. FaceObject("L#NIBRI") is also unharmful and in 95% of the situations the character will be already facing that object (it's not a death variable, it should just be changed to "Bridge" as that's a region name, but even without the change, it's not going to affect anything, the worst thing that may happen is the character looking a bit to the side rather than looking at the invisible object in a minor cutscene...)

I am grateful you are checking these things, but it kinda feels like fixing things that are working just fine. Your report for the White Queen was helpful, as it could potentially kill the whole team if they lost an item while being in White Queen's castle, but these here are quite harmless.
  • shadowlichshadowlich Member Posts: 50
    edited March 27
    Fair enough for the failsafe !

I just checked all closed doors with and without keys, there are many canon closed doors with keys (so they cannot be forced, probably)

I ll mock the key just to shut up NI warning, rather than clear the field , and cross yr fingers that noone will use the same generic resname for their items :smile: