Skip to content

Project Infinity - mod manager for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and EET

Comments

• MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    Is there a way to modify the ProjectInfinity-Groups-Order file ?
    I can exclude one component from a mod to a separate container (clone of the mod). How can i regroup few components in the same separate container ?
    Just to report a "bug" : sometimes moving a mod (using the button to move the mod to the top or bottom of modlist) is going to "invert" the ProjectInfinity-Mods-Assignment.txt and ProjectInfinity-Groups-Order.txt. It seems to occur more often when moving a clone part of a mod.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    Mordekaie wrote: »
    Just to report a "bug" : sometimes moving a mod (using the button to move the mod to the top or bottom of modlist) is going to "invert" the ProjectInfinity-Mods-Assignment.txt and ProjectInfinity-Groups-Order.txt. It seems to occur more often when moving a clone part of a mod.

@Mordekaie This feature is in beta testing, it will be eventually fixed after 1.0.
  • agewisdomagewisdom Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2022
    Ok, guys first time poster here. I have been lurking for a while of this thread. Just want to say that Project Infinity is a great tool. The lagging issue has been solved and the installer works alright. I have installed my EET and it works fine so far in the prologue but maybe there might be issues down the road.

The main thing I see is that people get confused about how to actually go about installing. The instructions are sometimes difficult to follow for non technical persons.

So anyways, here's my simplified guide on using PI both for myself and for anyone that needs some visual guidance. If there are any errors, let me know and I'll try to fix where possible.

• JibeknJibekn Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2022
    @ALIEN Cant get this tool to even launch :/ Redownloaded from git directly and from the posted link, no luck.

Win 11, all updated installed

Figured it out,

Windows Defender will silently block the file.

Trojan:Win32/Powbr.A!MTB is getting found by it.
  • Quill_ArmguardQuill_Armguard Member Posts: 53
    I'd love to make the switch to project infinity, but I've never been able to click on projectinfinity.exe and get any response. I've added exclusions, I've turned off windows defender in every conceivable way, run as administrator, manually listed the exe file as allowed, have rebooted each time. Any other suggestions? I'm on windows 10
  • GaxGuyGaxGuy Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2023
    I'm seeing a UI font rendering issue.

I'm on Win 11 2H22, all available updates installed. I'm using bellsoft Liberica JDK 17.0.5+8 Full install.

I have my windows System > Display Scale set to 150% (Recommended). That option being set to 150% provides a good visual UX for me on my laptop. In fact, I might want to have it set to a larger scale sometimes. If I set it to 100%, my laptop UX is significantly diminished for me, but the fonts render as expected instead of as shown.

Please let me know if there's something I can do to have my UI scale set the way I like, and have the java app UI render properly, or if there's nothing I can do to solve it, might you please be able to find a way to have the UI elements scale their size appropriately according to system UI settings? Thanks!

n3pt7dhvakyq.png

Edit: This issue was already covered in the GitHub issue tracker in 2021, with a closed issue; correcting it in PI requires rewriting the whole PI UI, which is unlikely to ever happen. There's a reported workaround in the windows Compatibility options with Enhanced system scaling. I haven't personally looked at the workaround yet, since restarting PI is extremely cumbersome due to having to re-select every component.
    Post edited by GaxGuy on
  • EyesHunterBooEyesHunterBoo Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys, I have a question, can I create a weidu log file before installing my mods?
    I tried selecting all the components I wish to install then setting install sequence and copy pasting it into a txt file and calling it WeiDU.log but the lines don't look as they should.
    There's no ~ at the start of each line and no // as a separator etc
  • Fishmalk_1Fishmalk_1 Member Posts: 58
    Hi guys, I have a question, can I create a weidu log file before installing my mods?
    I tried selecting all the components I wish to install then setting install sequence and copy pasting it into a txt file and calling it WeiDU.log but the lines don't look as they should.
    There's no ~ at the start of each line and no // as a separator etc

No. What you can do is export the install sequence after you have generated it, without installing anything. PI exports the install sequence as a .csv file you can then import. Or, you could copy the install sequence into any other document (like notepad) and paste it back into that field to use. Weidu logs are not your only option here.
  • RedundoRedundo Member Posts: 1
    Whenever I attempt to download a mod I get this error
    ixelqw1012i5.jpg

What can I do to fix this?
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Don't use the Documents folder for PI mod downloads.
  • ShankstaBytesShankstaBytes Member Posts: 18
    This does nothing when I click the exe file. Where is the source code?
  • GaxGuyGaxGuy Member Posts: 2
    This does nothing when I click the exe file. Where is the source code?

You need to Allow it in your anti-virus and/or firewall.
  • keturiduketuridu Member Posts: 10

PI automatically downloads to my "Extracted mods" folder and it doesn't work in any folder: either it would be D:\Baldurmania\New BG, nor even C:\BG
    Screenshot clearly shows, that there's wrong sided slash before mod folder: "/" not "\".
    keturidu wrote: »

PI automatically downloads to my "Extracted mods" folder and it doesn't work in any folder: either it would be D:\Baldurmania\New BG, nor even C:\BG
    Screenshot clearly shows, that there's wrong sided slash before mod folder: "/" not "\".

Changed git from default 2.30.2 to portable 2.39.1 and everything works now.
  • darkkhaine4594darkkhaine4594 Member Posts: 4
    I have used PI to install a bunch of mods, close to the last list proposed by morpheus562 here, but my games freezes every now and then during fights (game stops and becomes unresponsive). Unfortunately, I can't find any log of the crash (neither in the game folder nor in the Documents/BG- EET folder). Any ideas how i can solve this ?

Many thanks in advance.
  • cristoff_07cristoff_07 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2023
    Spellhold Studios' "Rogue Rebalancing" doesn't appear under their mod selection under the download mods tab. Since the version on Spellhold Studios site is a self-extracting exe file, can I just point the extraction in the download folder created by Project Infinity that contains the other downloaded mods?

EDIT: Dropping the exe in the mod folder made the necessary selections appear in PI.
    Post edited by cristoff_07 on
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    Greetings everybody. There is something I'm still failing to understand. How can I configure PI for EET? Is the following settings correct?

ks6wtwit80hm.png

And moreover, do I select all the mods I'm interested in including the ones for BGEE (with SoD) and then PI installs everything as it happened in BWS? Or do I have to install BGEE mods first?
    edited March 2023
    That should work - I don't have the games from Beamdog diirectly but afaik that should be the correct folders. Although I'd suggest you to duplicate the folders and feed the duplicates to PI outright to allow yourself to use the default folders as a backup.

You can install all the mods in one go. If PI is set to EET mode, all the mods which are ahead of the EET mod in the install order will end up installed to the BGEE folder.

The only mod which you can't install in PI currently would be the indev-version of the EE Fixpack which would need to be manually iinstalled prior to the PI iinstall to the BG2 folder (since the prior rule means that listing it prior EET would only ensure it getting installed to BG1 only). OTOH, the EE Fixpack iisn't ready yet, so the issue is minor currently.
    edited March 2023
    That should work - I don't have the games from Beamdog diirectly but afaik that should be the correct folders. Although I'd suggest you to duplicate the folders and feed the duplicates to PI outright to allow yourself to use the default folders as a backup.

You can install all the mods in one go. If PI is set to EET mode, all the mods which are ahead of the EET mod in the install order will end up installed to the BGEE folder.

The only mod which you can't install in PI currently would be the indev-version of the EE Fixpack which would need to be manually iinstalled prior to the PI iinstall to the BG2 folder (since the prior rule means that listing it prior EET would only ensure it getting installed to BG1 only). OTOH, the EE Fixpack iisn't ready yet, so the issue is minor currently.

I'm really glad someone answered, thanks.
    Later I read more carefully the first page (my fault) and found this:
    ALIEN wrote: »
    Q: How to install EET in one go?
    A: First, important rule to remember: all mods before EET mod will be installed into the selected BG:SoD game directory.* prepare clean, unmodded (yes, that include no DLCMerger also) SoD and BG2:EE games
    * make a copy of those games into separate folders
    * open PI, fill BG2:EE path and  "unmodded "Siege of Dragonspear" game for Enhanced Edition Trilogy"
    * select BG2:EE from the game list and stick with it
    * download and extract all mods (including EET) that you want to install into the 'Extracted mods' directory
    * set the path to this folder at the main PI window, wait until PI finishes scanning the mods
    * the mod list should now contain mods, locate EET mod (Initialise EET), select it, 
    * select all other mods that you wish to install
    * if your mod list contains mods that require to be installed inside BG:SoD (for eg Aerie for BG:EE) prior to installing EET on BG2:EE, move all those mods before EET
    * move all mods which have native EET compatibility after EET
    * set correct install order for mods added after and before EET, refer to mods readme or community install order lists
    * select EET_End and move it at the end of the installation
    * set install sequence
    * start installation
    * when the program asks for BG:SoD path, provide it

What I fail to understand is why in the world would I ever "select BG2:EE from the game list and stick with it". Why wouldn't I select EET if I'm installing EET in one go?

During last years I never started using PI because it was in alpha and sticked to BWS (now "EE mod tool") because I knew BWS far better. Now I can no longer stand un-updated messed-with mods EE mod tool provides and I think I must finally learn to use PI.

But I'm already having serious headaches, and thinking about solving problems as mod install order (I can't even know how to assign categories) and adding unsupported mods that I deem essential (like https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/items/item_rand/ ) is just pushing me to sheer depression.
    That's a typo, you should use the EET mode.

Technically almost none of the mods are unsupported, because PI loads and reads all the mods which are added to the download folder, regardless of origin. The only mod where this logic breaks is TDDz, because PI will not copy TDD alongside it (and honestly, that mod is in a fairly bad shape, so it needs a recoding and until then, I'd say iit's not that much of a loss).

Item Randomizer needs to come after all the content mods, the readme explains that. Yeah, unliike BWS, PI doesn't use a hardcoded mod install order, but unliike BWS, PI is fully WYSIWYG and there's nothing abstracted away.
    Well, you'll giving me some hope. The only thing I didn't get is if it's better to wait for a new version of the EE Fixpack or not.

Aside from that, it's still not clear to me how should I sort mods categories and install order..
    I remember seeing the link to Weasel mods repository somewhere.. maybe in some screenshot or video tutorial.
    But my current version of PI doesn't have it. Can anyone explain to me how to add another repository to the selection?
    Blash wrote: »
    I remember seeing the link to Weasel mods repository somewhere.. maybe in some screenshot or video tutorial.
    But my current version of PI doesn't have it. Can anyone explain to me how to add another repository to the selection?

Weasel mods aren't using 'GitHub repositories, they can be downloaded from a separate site: https://downloads.weaselmods.net.
    I still don't get how to restore selection for new install/update. For example, i wanna add a new mod or select other install order and after that check install sequence, but don't wanna do that from scratch? Now, when i launch PI, some mods keeps their selections, others resets. none of gazzilion selection import tools actually selects anything. Or am i missing something?
    keturidu wrote: »
    I still don't get how to restore selection for new install/update. For example, i wanna add a new mod or select other install order and after that check install sequence, but don't wanna do that from scratch? Now, when i launch PI, some mods keeps their selections, others resets. none of gazzilion selection import tools actually selects anything. Or am i missing something?

You're missing a FAQ in second post.
    Unfortunately it's fault of some mods that are missing a particular label that allows to retain player's choice as explained here: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/32516-tutorial-what-is-label-why-you-should-create-it-and-how-to-do-it-properly/
    Blash wrote: »

Weasel mods aren't using 'GitHub repositories, they can be downloaded from a separate site: https://downloads.weaselmods.net.

Thanks @ALIEN !
    I have a question for you.. I know we aren't supposed to ask for release dates, but..
    Considering last update is from August, I was just wondering if it's better to wait a bit for a new PI release to start a new playthrough.
    @Blash It's been a year already? Wow, time flies so fast. Waiting for a new version won't change the outcome or playthrough so do your installation now. And if it's your first playthrough with mods, keep the mod list relatively small :smile:
    @Blash It's been a year already? Wow, time flies so fast. Waiting for a new version won't change the outcome or playthrough so do your installation now. And if it's your first playthrough with mods, keep the mod list relatively small :smile:

You've been clear enough, I will start next playthrough without waiting for another PI release. Thanks for your honesty 😁

Anyway, I first discovered BWS in 2016 if i remember correctly, and among many tries did my first "mega-mod" playthrough in 2020. All went well, until after transitioning to the SoD part I discovered 2 things that completely broke my immersion. I couldn't keep Minsc and Edwin together anymore (and I found a solution to this here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51615/is-there-a-way-to-keep-both-minsc-and-edwin/p2 ), and all my characters' voices had changed. As for this last problem, I'm still searching for a solution and I'm talking about that here: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/31274-consistent-soundset-for-eet/

Anyway, like last time, I'll carefully select my mods. They surely won't be few, so the mod list won't be very small, but I'll check every single one of them to know if they're stable, if they interfere with some other mod etc.

It's still my first time with Project Infinity, but I think I'm starting to understand my way around. I'll probably ask the community for an opinion about install order.