Skip to content

Pre-loading for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has begun!

Comments

• SubzoeySubzoey Member Posts: 19
    Why wasn't this game also being sold on gog or steam? There's a lot of sales and advertising potential to be had there.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    With every service on which this game is distributed, there are contractual and financial issues that must be solved before it can happen. Beamdog folks have openly talked about how difficult it was to even get the rather restrictive contracts with the multiple parties involved in order to make this game. Involving multiple distributors who take a cut of the profits is difficult enough for a game that needs to make money to prove it is a viable concept 15 years after the original product was released.

I sincerely doubt there will be a cracked version between now and Wednesday considering that the only way to get one would be to steal it from Beamdog's servers.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    @troastyroasty - @Nathan should be able to help with the badge thing if you're worried, just send him a message.

Having browsed through the last few pages to catch up, I notice that once again, the installer seems to be a tad slower, on average, than the client ( when the client works anyway:) ). So I performed a little experiment on the wifes PC. I ran both the Client, and the BG:EE Installer, at the same time.

I'm well aware that this isn't scientific, or even an accurate test maybe, but none the less, BOTH finished the extra 500Mb within minutes of each other.

The really interesting thing about both was that the client fluctuated between 45Kb/s and 250Kb/s all the way through, but the installer never registered as having went faster than about 12Kb/s.

A clear indication, that, in my case at least, the installer is lying to us about its relative download speeds.

And the moral of the story? Have a little faith in the tech support fellows, and be patient. :)
  • dracodraconisdracodraconis Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know how many peeps pre-loaded
  • SubzoeySubzoey Member Posts: 19
    To bad BG is tied to so much corporate Bull poo. But at least they got the go for this project which must have been a big headache. And now it nears release. Giggity.

vortican said:

I sincerely doubt there will be a cracked version between now and Wednesday considering that the only way to get one would be to steal it from Beamdog's servers.

SOUNDS LIKE A CHALLENGE
    Yeah? And the winner will recieve thousands of dollars worth of fines and a few months at a secluded "health spa" where the nurses are called Big Bad Barry and aren't very gentle. . . .

You win @PhillipDaigle, just dont send me away . . . :)

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    Necdilzor said:

Subzoey said:

Any way of telling how many people have pre-ordered the game? I want this to succeed soooo bad!

Look at how many people have been awarded the exclusive badge.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/badge/bgee-supporter
    That is for those who pre-ordered before September 18, the others that did so afterwards got a different badge, and there are also a lot of people that preordered and are not part of this forum.

Not counting those that have not pre-ordered, but will buy the game upon release.
  • TeacherTeacher Member Posts: 5
    Mornmagor said:

That is for those who pre-ordered before September 18, the others that did so afterwards got a different badge, and there are also a lot of people that preordered and are not part of this forum.

Not counting those that have not pre-ordered, but will buy the game upon release.

Not adding much to the discussion but I pre-ordered mine on August 3rd and still haven't got a badge :( Though I did sign up to the forums much later...
  • willburwillbur Member Posts: 2
    What's this about an extra 500mb to donwload? I read about guys going from 1.3gb to 1.8. I checked and I am still at 1.3. My installer says pre load complete and I haven't rec'd any notification about an extra 500mb. I am just going crazy with anticipation or am I missing something?
    willbur said:

What's this about an extra 500mb to donwload? I read about guys going from 1.3gb to 1.8. I checked and I am still at 1.3. My installer says pre load complete and I haven't rec'd any notification about an extra 500mb. I am just going crazy with anticipation or am I missing something?

You're not missing out - start up your installer and click twice on the "Preload complete" bar at the bottom, that should get you started. (Assuming you are using the BG:EE installer rather than the BD client that is?)
  • willburwillbur Member Posts: 2

You're not missing out - start up your installer and click twice on the "Preload complete" bar at the bottom, that should get you started. (Assuming you are using the BG:EE installer rather than the BD client that is?)

Thanks man. It's downloading now. Jeez I feel like a 6 year old kid waiting for christmas. The 28th is going to rock.
    @willbur - you are most welcome friend. And remember to be nice cos the "Man" has a list you know. Talk about your "Big Brother" conspiracy theories eh?

Enjoy. :)
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    @Troodon80

those numbers were from the actual folder where i installed the download (D:/BGEE). And thank you, i was just getting mightily confused with all the different figures thrown around and the mention of an executable file...decided to redownload just in case cos i'm a paranoid fool like that, so thank you kindly anyway, good to know someone else had the same i did.
  • Origin88Origin88 Member Posts: 71
    Hey guys, i just made an account on beamdog and bought the game, now when i go to my account and then to my games it does show a icon of BG.
    However when i click on it (i assumed thats how you pre load) it just takes forever to load and eventually gives an error 503 Service unavailable..

Anyone else with this issue and any way to get around this?

-Origin
  • TomaszTomasz Member Posts: 12
    Are there some good, rich peolpe who could send me BG as a gift? lol
  • Origin88Origin88 Member Posts: 71
    Also, since i purchased BG EE at Beamdog, do i need to use the beamdog client to play?

Info would be appreciated! :)

-Origin
  • WalshenatorWalshenator Member Posts: 14
    Teacher said:

Mornmagor said:

Not adding much to the discussion but I pre-ordered mine on August 3rd and still haven't got a badge :( Though I did sign up to the forums much later...

@Teacher - This happened to me as well. If you send a message to Nathan he sorts it out. There is a thread in General (I think) discussing this.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Mornmagor said:

Necdilzor said:

Subzoey said:

Any way of telling how many people have pre-ordered the game? I want this to succeed soooo bad!

Like all the Mac users who don't want to use Bootcamp
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Hi all, quick question - I downloaded the original 1.3gb through the direct installer without a hitch a few days ago, but when i went to download the additional 500MB I seem to have problems.

When I double clicked on the installer I got the prompt to update the installer, which I did, and now when I am presented with the installer screen it has simply said 'Getting Download Indo...' along the bottom for the last 20 mins or so. Is there anything else I need to be doing? Does this mean that it is downloading, or should it actually be saying something else?

I'm not very tech literate so apologies if my question is a little idiotic! Just can't wait to (re)play the game!
  • misiekbemisiekbe Member Posts: 17
    Same he
    BGLover said:

Hi all, quick question - I downloaded the original 1.3gb through the direct installer without a hitch a few days ago, but when i went to download the additional 500MB I seem to have problems.

When I double clicked on the installer I got the prompt to update the installer, which I did, and now when I am presented with the installer screen it has simply said 'Getting Download Indo...' along the bottom for the last 20 mins or so. Is there anything else I need to be doing? Does this mean that it is downloading, or should it actually be saying something else?

I'm not very tech literate so apologies if my question is a little idiotic! Just can't wait to (re)play the game!

I've the same thing.

My screen is still ticking along with 'Getting Download Info...' being shown. I am loath to close it and restart or anything, in case this is what it is meant to be doing, but when I downloaded the original 1.3Gb of data I was shown the progress bar and download speeds.

Does anyone know if I have done something wrong? Or need to try something different?
  • JibletJiblet Member Posts: 1
    I've been getting "Getting download info..." every time I've tried (every day since pre-load began).
    Any tried and true solutions?
  • Engel82Engel82 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Hi downloaded 1.3GB preload with difficulties (had to delete and reinstall a number of times). Now the extra 500mb causes both download options to get to the 'checking files' part and then a message appeared "BG:EE launcher has stopped working" and program closes. Tried deleting everything again and starting from scratch - same problem on both downloaders (have most updated versions). Have tried deleting the 766.etc files each time. Sometimes it will progress to downloading and then stop responding after maybe 30secs. Have checked firewall and even disabled antivirus software with no change. Emailed support@beamdog but guessing they are swamped with the multitude of problems people are having.

Havent had to work this hard to download a game since valve introduced steam with HL2! Hoping to have this playable by tomorrow!

ps have beamdog account open and have tried running everything as administrator
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    zarffyn said:

Necdilzor said:

Subzoey said:

That's only people who pre-ordered AND are on the forums. It doesn't include those who aren't on the forums, nor those of us who pre-ordered multiple copies as gifts.
    It's still an advance :P Then you multiply it by $18.99 (right? I don't remember) and you got the money the've got O:!
    Well... as per my previous posts, I cannot seem to get the additional 500MB download to even start - I am stuck on 'Getting Download Info...' and the screeen won't seem to progress from that point on.

Is there any merit on unistalling the lot (even the original 1.3GB download) and starting from scratch? I am not at all technically minded, and am really at a loss as to how to proceed from here! Any help is much appreciated!
  • NymMoondownNymMoondown Member Posts: 219
    Some questions. :)
    If I have to format my pc, then will I always (in a time of years too) have the possibility of re-download the game?
    If not/not sure in a long time, is there a way to have a disk image o something similar?

Is it possible to download the game on other pc? I've got a netbook and for now I 've pre-downloaded the game on my home pc.
  • adjadj Member Posts: 6

Some questions. :)
    If I have to format my pc, then will I always (in a time of years too) have the possibility of re-download the game?
    If not/not sure in a long time, is there a way to have a disk image o something similar?

Is it possible to download the game on other pc? I've got a netbook and for now I 've pre-downloaded the game on my home pc.

Good question !! waiting for the answer ..!