Skip to content

Patch status

Comments

• when I change it to 1 its not longer 1920x1080...
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    lol it is supported alright, too bad it doesn't function properly.

every screen, except playing window and even there icons are too small, needs to be reworked if you want to see portraits or read text. otherwise it is like playing windowed mod surrounded with blue stone, as seen above.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Well the backgrounds could be reworked to look a bit less... backgroundy, but otherwise I don't see too many possibilities for improvements. We're talking about 2D, fixed size menu elements here. There's two things really you can do with them when you have extra space: you can either stretch them to fix the screen (UI scaling on) or you can put them in the middle and then have some filler graphics occupy the sides (UI scaling off).

A possible third option would be to see the paused game in the background. Archaic did manage to do something like that (and I've been able to mimic his/her work in my own game), but due to engine limitations there are a couple of problems with that approach as of now. Perhaps after the next patch and the renderer rework it will be a more viable option.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705

i hope to see fourth option form the devs- exporting UI elements in higher resolution and replacing and arranging them to fit HD monitors. this shouldn't be considered too much work, or hassle or whatever, since the UI is the element of the game you see and interact with all the time. let's wait and see...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Cerevant said:

You'd be surprised how many options there are...

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how things look in 1280 x 1024. Testing today shows:
    * Startup screens are better. Still not ideal for the screen ratio, but more in line with other resolutions
    * In game screens look MUCH better. Trust me on this :)

I think the problem is many people are accustomed to having their computers run HD resolutions
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @smeagolheart I believe @Cerevant was talking about the way the new renderer is dealing with high resolutions.
    @mlnevese I was trying to point out my belief that most folks would have 1980x1080 as their resolution get plugged into their settings by default over a somewhat odd-ball 1280x1024
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Sorry, my brain fixated on the 5:3 display issue (manifested at 1280 x 1024) and...yeah.

Still, @mlnevese is right. Things are much improved for all resolutions.
  • when I change it to 1 its not longer 1920x1080...

You want to edit your baldur.ini file and add the Scale UI line.

'Game Options', 'All Learn Spell Info', '1',
    'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '1',

Under Program Options within the same file, add your resolution specs. The Width and Height should already be there, you just have to change the current values to 1920 x 1080.

'Program Options', 'Volume SFX', '80',
    'Program Options', 'Graphics', 'Width', '1920',
    'Program Options', 'Graphics', 'Height', '1080',

Ty ramdom forum user. I'm still having trouble... but ty anyway.
    What happened after you made the change in baldur.ini that you are still having trouble?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    NecdilzorMunchkinXQ
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @typo_tilly The last time I checked the tracker there were around 1800 bugs fixed...
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Still no ETA yet guys?
    matthileo
  • FinalMasterFinalMaster Member Posts: 3
    What I'm actually interested in, is what's the harm of releasing the game open sourced, other than you probably won't make money off of it anymore.

If open sourced then the community as a whole could help bug fix and remove more hardcoded restrictions. This would make the game much more open to many more people while greatly allowing more flexibility for the base game and any mods and possible sequels/completely new games to be based off of it.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    This game (and the intellectual property it's based on) belongs to Atari and Wizards of the Coast, which in turn are owned by EA and Hasbro. These people haven't become multi-million dollar businesses by forfeiting opportunities to make a profit.
    TJ_HookerAstroBryGuyAbel
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited June 2013
    @FinalMaster - I'm pretty sure Overhaul's contract with WotC & Atari doesn't give them ownership of the code. And even if they did own the code, the game includes characters and settings that are copyrights of Wizards of the Coast (e.g., Drizzt, Elminster, Volo, Faerun, etc..).

EDIT: Ninja'd!
    Kilivitz
  • notkingnotking Member Posts: 134
    Just now,I received a mail.BGEE is 40% off!!!
    I'm mad now!!!
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248

SCS implementation

WTF?
  • SalkSalk Member Posts: 62

why don't you go and play the original then? Good luck in Beregost.

People who follow the IE modding scene won't need any luck. Ascension64 produced a fix for the dreaded Beregost crashes already in 2007 (last updated in 2010): http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/508-utility-beregost-crash-fixer-19/
    TJ_Hooker
    Blash said:

SCS implementation

WTF?
    He's referring to this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/318862/#Comment_318862

Be aware, though, that Dee hasn't said anything about any SCS features being implemented by the next patch.
    edited June 2013
    Salk said:

why don't you go and play the original then? Good luck in Beregost.

People who follow the IE modding scene won't need any luck. Ascension64 produced a fix for the dreaded Beregost crashes already in 2007 (last updated in 2010): http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/508-utility-beregost-crash-fixer-19/
    I think it's worth noting that the original BG1 didn't have any issues involving crashing in Beregost. This was a problem with Tutu/BGT and it's been solved, as Salk pointed.

My problem, however, is that ever since I changed computers I'm having a lot of trouble running the original games. It has to do with my Intel video card's poor OpenGL support, which causes slowdowns and occasional crashes. BG:EE runs better, but not without hiccups.

In other words, the EE's and the upcoming rewritten renderer are my only chance to be able to play those games in the future without relying on keeping around an older machine.

Considering how many people were affected by the whole Intel vs. OpenGL thing, I can't be the only one who feels relieved that those new versions even exist.
    Troodon80NecdilzorEntropyXII
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Kilivitz said:

Considering how many people were affected by the whole Intel vs. OpenGL thing, I can't be the only one who feels relieved that those new versions even exist.

Oh, do I know a thing or two about that. I can relate and certainly say that you're not alone.

Thankfully, if I want to actually sit down and play the game, I can do so on one of my desktops. When I'm taking a lunch break at work or I travelling on a train, start up my laptop and try to run BG... I'm getting about 2-5 FPS. That applies to the old BG and BG2 as well as BG:EE v1.0.2014.
    Of course I knew what SCS means, what I didn't know is that there is a talking of implementing it! That would be great! I was indeed waiting for the patch AND an SCS update :-) I hope further information about this will be given.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Looking forward to seeing what this new renderer does. Wonder when we will see the patch.

I'd happily wait a few days more to see SCS implemented.
This discussion has been closed.