Skip to content

Favorite Faerûnian deity?

terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
edited September 2013 in Archive (General Discussion)
First and foremost, Baldur's Gate is a game about gods - you are, fundamentally, entwined in the plot of the former God of Murder, after all - but you are not limited to venerating Bhaal, of course.

I would make a poll, but the number and complexity of the various godhoods of Faerûn defy such simplicity - there are human pantheons and elven pantheons, dead gods, gods ascended from mortals, lost gods. Just chime in here on your favorite and why.

If you're not sure or are unfamiliar with the deities of Faerûn, here is a handy list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities#Faer.C3.BBnian_pantheon

My favorite has to be Amaunator. The original god of the sun, Amaunator was venerated by Netherese society at his height; with the fall of Netheril, his fortunes also seemed to decline, and by the Time of Troubles his cult is virtually extinct. Nonetheless, you do explore a former temple of his in BG2, and actually encounter his avatar and the last vestiges of his followers in another quest. Exploring the history of this last group of followers was one of the most interesting moments of 2 for me.

Post edited by terzaerian on
KamigoroshiDJKajuruStarflower2525BelgarathMTHDjimmyJuliusBorisov

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Good topic!

As some of you may already know my favourite Forgotten Realms deity of all times is That Which Lurks, the Elder Eye, the Ancient One... the one and only Ghaunadaur! Not only is he one of the most ancient and alien gods in all of the Realms, his amorphous body makes him quite the charmer if I do say so myself. Not to mention it's thanks to him and his clergies that Tentacle Rods exist - no doubtly the best kinds of flails in D&D! :)
    terzaerianDJKajuruJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    My favourite is Selüne, Our Lady of Silver. Hers seemS to be the most open-minded and anti-bigotry faith that aims to help people lost in the darkness. Her ongoing rivalry between Shar is cool and their back story forms the very beginning of Fearun.

I am glad Rasaad is a follower of Selüne, I hope he will have much more Selüne and moon-oriented things in BG2:EE.
    DJKajuruAkihikoFredjoJuliusBorisov
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    Selune here too. Goddess of the moon and good aligned lycanthropes. I just wish the computer DnD games that let you choose deity had more impact from your choice (NWN 2, I'm looking at you) or more options for deity selection (BG2. Only three choices for a cleric is disappointing.)
    KamigoroshilunarJuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    ALL WILL FALL TO THE GLORY OF LOLTH!

Bleed, surface scum, bleed and die!
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I am torn between Selune or Mystra.
    lunar
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    Since I rarely hear anything about any of the other good deities I'm gonna have to say Mystra.
  • RemenissionsRemenissions Member Posts: 102
    Bane, the best of the three.
    Lore
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    Mystra
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I've always liked Talos and his Chaotic priests.
    Kamigoroshi
  • Starflower2525Starflower2525 Member Posts: 44
    My favourate is Selune
    JuliusBorisov
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited September 2013
    Lloth

edit: Also, always had a soft spot for Malar
    Kamigoroshi
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Impossible choice. Kelemvor, Cyric or Mask. A nice little link between those 3 heh.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    since @Permidion_Stark already said what I wanted to, I'll the choose Bhaal (the new one)
    if there is ever a poll, please don't forget about Tiax.
    KamigoroshiGodIchigoRXC
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Kelemvor.
    Because regardless of the life you lead, you'll need him at some point.
  • doggydoggy Member Posts: 313
    Charname off course. Seeing I will become the new god proceeding my devine father
    God
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I actually revere what I call the divine "Trinity of Knowledge" when I play a Forgotten Realms game: Oghma, Deneir, and Milil. Their portfolios are so intertwined, I can't really separate them meaningfully. Even the FR documentation states that Deneir and Milil are Oghma's left and right hands.

If I have to choose one, I guess I'd say Oghma, since he includes the other two anyway.
    BaldursCat
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited September 2013
    I like Eilistraee, always a sucker for lone and valiant souls going against the stream of chaotic evil stupidity surrounding them. Honorary mention to Ilmater.
    Forse
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Drugar said:

Kelemvor.
    Because regardless of the life you lead, you'll need him at some point.

Pah! This undead mummie needs Kelemvor like a nail in the head... Although perhaps a nail in the head would help my bandages stay on straight... Actually sounds quite useful now...

*Sounds of rummaging in a tin full of tacs and nails can be heard... Bang Bang Bang*

Okay What was I saying... Yes Kelemvor... Pathetic.

Your real Gods God. Is obviously Shar.

Think about it... We all have a shadow...

My Shadow is called Frizzt, he wields two shadow scimitars and makes a mean bacon butter sarnie.

He is just Shars little gift to me.

Has Shar given you a shadow? If not, you are obviously already her prisoner, a prisoner of darkness...

Ha... Haha... BwahHahaHahHAAAhHAhahaBwaHAhah!!! *cough*

(If no one agrees with me... I wont get my badge Frizzt...)

[Deleted User]BelgarathMTHKamigoroshi
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Anduin said:

Your real Gods God. Is obviously Shar.

No.

Well, Faerûnian deities are all somewhat meek and uninteresting. But I do have some sort of sentiment for the Seldarine, ever since I played Icewind Dale.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @God

You really have some explaining to do...

All shadow puppets are avatars of Shar! What you got?
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Deneir. I wish to be a Cleric of his, militantly defending the written word, and art.

Honourable Mention to Savras, whose bat**** priestesses in this one book (Ghostwalker, uuuugggghhh, water off a duck's back, water off a duck's back...) somewhat endeared him to me.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I think Oghma. Why? I believe that Oghma's priest were encouraging people to search for wisdom and knowledge. At least, they were useful.
    Remenissions
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I like the platinum dragon Bahamut.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Shar guides my hand.
    AnduinJuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2013
    Gotta go with Mystra here.
    AnduinSCARY_WIZARD
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I was always very partial to Torm for my good characters and Bane for my evil ones.
  • IronhaloIronhalo Member Posts: 22
    Bane - the Black Lord and mightiest of the Three.
    Remenissions
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    My favorite deity is the often overlooked Hamster Berzerker Warrior God, Squeakers, who single-handedly fought off an entire horde of evil Rashaka attempting to break through a planetary planar split on planet Cheesewheel. Apparently, though SOMEONE decided that space hamster lore wasn't important enough to include in D&D lore, those rodent-discriminating %&!@$.