Skip to content

Phase II: Hardware Compatibility Test

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited February 2014 in The Road to v1.2

Hardware Compatibility Test

We're dedicated to making Baldur's Gate work on the widest range of hardware possible. To do this, we're doing an exhaustive test on every hardware configuration we can find.

For Phase II, we'll be handing out copies of the beta to a select number of people to test it on their own systems. When we're satisfied that Baldur's Gate runs great on enough configurations, we'll move on to Phase III.

We'll be giving priority to those who are currently experiencing issues, with preference shown for those with unique hardware configurations. Copies will be given through Beamdog.com, and installers will be provided for both Windows and Mac as needed. Keep reading for more details on how you can be a part of this process.

How to Participate

We've received all the hardware setups we need for the purposes of this phase. Thank you to everyone for sending in your information; we'll post an update soon!

[spoiler]NOTE: Because of the way the system works, we can only extend this offer to those who purchased their copy through Beamdog.com.
Mac and Windows users are both welcome.

With a subject line of "Phase II" (no quotes), email me ( dpennyway@beamdog.com ) the following information:

* Operating System:
* CPU:
* GPU:

Then tell me briefly how the game is currently running on your system. On my system, the current version has no performance issues, so I would say "Works great, no problems".

So my email would be as follows:

* Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
* CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
* GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
* Current Experience: Works great, no problems

If you do not give your email a subject of "Phase II" (no quotes) and provide all of the information in the above format, you will not receive access to the beta.

Finding Your System Information:

Windows
You can find these three items by opening the DxDiag tool on your computer. You can access the program by pressing (Windows Key) + (R) and typing "dxdiag". When you press Enter or Run, you'll see a window with a number of tabs. Your Operating System and Processor (CPU) are listed in the System. Your Graphics Card (GPU) is listed in the Display tab.
Mac OSX
Click on the Apple icon in the menu bar, and select "About This Mac", then "More Info". The Operating System information is listed as "Software", CPU is listed as "Processor", and GPU is listed as "Graphics".

What Happens Next:

Once I have that information, and we confirm that your configuration hasn't already been tested, we'll set you up with a copy of the beta. Run it, play it, let me know if you encounter any strange behavior (preferably as a response to your initial email). What we're specifically looking for here is improvements to frame rate and general performance; if the game runs poorly on your system, let me know so we can help troubleshoot it.[/spoiler]

If the game runs great, post your reactions here! We'll create some sort of spreadsheet as we start getting responses so that people can see what the general reactions are. We're looking to test at least 50 configurations.

Current Tally: 55

We're working on resolving the issues that were revealed during the tests so far. We'll move on to Phase III once we have all outstanding hardware problems resolved.
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Please email your system information, rather than posting it here; that way it will be easier for us to keep track of what we've received. Thanks!
  • arcdanielarcdaniel Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2013
    Sorry, Email has been send :-)
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I don't have any hardware related issues with the current BG:EE and I don't imagine there will be any with the patch, though I do use a dual-monitor setup and it's not a fan of alt-tabbing. Has anything been done in relation to this? Cause that might be worth testing then.
    That's definitely something worth testing. Email me your system information.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Downloading it now. Thanks Dee! Will post feedback once I've had a chance to take it for a test drive.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Dee said:

Just a quick note: You are not under NDA here.

Just for clarity... I can post a picture of myself playing BG:EE on my Intel powered laptop... And not get sued?

*Starts mumbling about how to post a video clip*
    edited September 2013
    Anduin said:

Dee said:

Just a quick note: You are not under NDA here.

Just for clarity... I can post a picture of myself playing BG:EE on my Intel powered laptop... And not get sued?

*Starts mumbling about how to post a video clip*
    I suppose that depends on who you are, but yes, feel free to post images and videos at your leisure (although it would probably be a good idea, if you do post videos, to note that they're from a beta version of the patch, just to avoid confusion).

EDIT: To clarify, if you're a beta tester, you're still under NDA for anything that isn't a part of the BG:EE beta (including anything pertaining to BGII:EE). :)
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited September 2013
    i use a postfix (intentionally to check spam sources from) in my email address i registered with, can i still participate? (my email adress on beamdog acc ett****+bd@goog******.com not ett****@goog******.com) I cannot send from a postfixed email address (which on mail reception redirects to the true one), only from it's "true" one.
    I stated that in the mail though.
  • WittandWittand Member Posts: 54
    Thanks for the chance Dee. Interesting that the beta is 0.4 GB bigger than the vanilla game. That must be quite a patch.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @Dee
    Just sent an email with my two setups. Forgot to mention that I run dual monitors on my gaming computer (as you seem interested in it), even though I'm more interested in seeing improvements on my work laptop as that's where all the issues are.
    If you use a different email address for your account, note what your account email address is when you send me your system information; that way I'll be able to find your account in our system.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Great job getting the 500 saved games checked so quickly! Will send an email with my system specs when i get home.
  • Sterling580Sterling580 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the link downloading it right now, and will check the performance out asap.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Email just sent.
    Good work Beamdog, this beta could be quickly ended if you're really that fast now :)
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    Sent an e-mail, would love to test it on my laptop.
  • cbones9889cbones9889 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 41
    Email just sent!
    Great work on getting 500 saves in record time.
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    Downloading now, thanks Dee. Guess I know what I am doing tonight!
  • adam777adam777 Member Posts: 14
    Do you have any interest in testing Wine compatibility?
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    And the downloading begins bring on turbo mode!
    adam777 said:

If you can currently install the live version with Wine, then send over your system information and we'll get you set up.
  • adam777adam777 Member Posts: 14
    Dee said:

adam777 said:

If you can currently install the live version with Wine, then send over your system information and we'll get you set up.
    Both the standalone installer and the Beamdog client seems to not behave nicely on Wine.
    However, copying the game folder from virtual Windows machine (after installed with the standalone installer) and than running with Wine worked for me before.
  • MusaabMusaab Member Posts: 94
    edited September 2013
    The issue I complained about in my email with the flickering on my NVIDIA OPTIMUS laptop no longer exists with this beta. And I am really loving the new UI! Great work guys!
  • JaySee84JaySee84 Member Posts: 52
    Email sent! Felt bad for not being able to help with the saves due to modding, but hopefully I can help out with this.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    First impression on my gaming setup:

Everything looks nice, crisp and dandy. Colors seems improved, an overall improvement of rendering. Speed and UI looks great!

Great improvement with Alt+Tab during dual monitors. Behaves as expected now.

Found a few minor bugs. First of all, trying to take screenshots doesn't always work, and when they work they still don't display as they did on screen.

Example screenshot:
    Two bugs in one screenshot here:
    1. The name doesn't fit the popup
    2. When doing a screenshot, the popup moves and doesn't show up where I had my cursor (on top of the creature/npc) but some distance away.

Do note that I'm running dual displays.
  • Sterling580Sterling580 Member Posts: 26
    Some feedback. The alt+tab interface flickering is gone. The issue I was having with the game crashing if not ran as an admin is gone as well. No crashes or stutters so far. Prologue scroll quest bug is fixed as well. The graphics look a lot better and the scaling is nice.

What I would like to point out, even though it is not hardware related, the transparent dialogue window makes white text a bit hard to read on some backgrounds. Also some of the colours on the npc spirets seem to be a bit too sharp.
  • StuckinMudStuckinMud Member Posts: 45
    Just sent me mail.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    edited September 2013
    @dee, will you send a response even if we don't get to test the beta ? I just want to be sure you received my mail.
    No response so far but i guess i'm not on the priority list, because BGEE worked great so far on my system.

Also i realized my account address ( for the game) and my forum linked address are not the same. Not sure if it's ok for you to pass the info (maybe you send messages to betatesters through PM on this forum ?)
    I haven't yet, but I plan to. Eventually everyone will get access, but I want to make sure we get a wide range of systems first.
This discussion has been closed.