Skip to content

What are the Female to Male demographics of this board?

wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
One thing I noticed in Baldur's Gate I was that the sidequests for the male NPC's was always longer and more involved. Most of the time, females just had to be recused i.e.; Viconia, Skie, and Dynaheir just to name a few. While truly unique characters like Alora, Branwen, and my favorite Safana get half-assed fetch quests at best. Considering many of these characters have great personalities, it would be good to expand on their struggles before meeting you instead of ignoring female NPCs.
  1. What are the Female to Male demographics of this board?372 votes
    1. Male players
      88.71%
    2. Female players
      11.29%
Maciak87AurenRavidel

Comments

• gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2012
    F/15/Cali. Trolololo.
    seekaQuartz
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Maciak87 said:

Putting all Internet polls aside, it is quite obvious that the huge majority of gamers are male. One can only argue about their average age.

TIL anecdotal evidence > polling
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    Maciak87 said:

Putting all Internet polls aside, it is quite obvious that the huge majority of gamers are male. One can only argue about their average age.

I remember these World of Warcraft demographic research that pointed to a surge in female gaming. And lets not forget this is a MMO that in its peak reached 12 million addicts.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'm not sure I agree about the male NPC's quests being longer or more involved. Kagain's quest consists of wandering to the next map and deciding he can't be bothered to look for a caravan.
    Maciak87 said:

People as early as Stalin noticed that statistics mean nothing (since bringing up Goebbels makes me a Nazi, this time I'll become a Communist. Fortunately, it's o.k in the West to be one, even though Communism killed, at least, 100 million people:)).

That depends on what part of the West you are.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    You know... I'am actually surprised, my first thought was that maybe guys who play games as females, when given the choice, would choose female in the poll! ahah crazy I know.
    Post edited by Razor on
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    @wariisop

I just noticed that you made this poll pink for boys and blue for girls. Is this a subtle attempt at subverting gender stereotypes?
    skyline818
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124

@wariisop

I just noticed that you made this poll pink for boys and blue for girls. Is this a subtle attempt at subverting gender stereotypes?

Yes, I am offended by these chauvinist color codes.
    gfm50 said:

I see it as red or as they say pink is the new black.....
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I myself am a guy, but I don't think that male gamers keep a VAST MAJORITY. Not anymore at least. Gaming had an increasing wave of new people in the last few years and more and more are becoming gamers. While I guess that 10-15 years ago it was weird pointing out that you are a gamer, nowadays it's weird pointing out that you are not one (depends from place to place of course). That of course, I believe works for both genders.

I have no idea what this site's statistics are though.
    gfm50 said:

@wariisop

So the original poster is a chauvinist american whose national flag's colors somehow faded into pink and that tone of blue?

Now to symbolically link that conclusion to sexism...
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I find this interesting but I don't think it reflects gaming demographics very well. (more anecdotal evidence)

Just check out how many males to how many females have given a score to ANY film on IMDB particularly the "girly" ones, males are in the vast majority. I don't think we have the idea that far more men watch films than women do, but it seems likely that we (assuming the majority) are more likely to waste time on the internet, looking at forums and voting in polls, than women are.

I find this interesting but I don't think it reflects gaming demographics very well. (more anecdotal evidence)

Indeed, but that was never the thread's intent. The title states 'demographics on this board'.
    RazorMoomintroll
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @wariisop Interestingly, until recently pink was considered masculine and blue feminine.
    Maciak87 said:

I just love feminists...ignorant and opinionated. Yummy.

That conversation... wasn't really serious. I think. Or maybe you're being witty on top of it?
    Maciak87 said:

I'll let you take a guess.

I think I lost a sanity check.
    AndreaColombo
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Maciak87 said:

Then you gain 2 Insanity Points.
    By the way, could really use an in-depth, joinable, insane NPC.

When Tiax rules, he will have expanded dialogue and an in-depth story!
    AndreaColomboLeezl
    Maciak87 said:

Then you gain 2 Insanity Points.
    By the way, could really use an in-depth, joinable, insane NPC.

I suppose that in this thread's context people like Xzar, Minsc, Edwin and Tiax are merely quirky. We need someone that actually stood before the abyss? Like a fantasy mathmatician.
    Syntia13Leezl
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    I'm a gay male, gief gay npc's please? *Puppy eyes*
    trinitSuccubusJalily
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2012
    D&D has always had a somewhat antiquated approach to gender - to use the BG games as an example, of the 30+ NPCs you can recruit there are exactly three women capable of front-line combat: Shar-Teel the stereotypical misandrist, Jaheira the overbearing wife, and Mazzy the Unofficial Paladin. Even the Enhanced Edition falls for this: of the three new NPCs, the men are combat-oriented and the woman is a mage who can't control her powers.

Meanwhile, a female Grey Warden in "Dragon Age" can wear plate armor and swing a broadsword just like anybody else. :)
    purebredcornCommunardRunarielJalily
    edited August 2012
    shawne said:

D&D has always had a somewhat antiquated approach to gender - to use the BG games as an example, of the 30+ NPCs you can recruit there are exactly three women capable of front-line combat: Shar-Teel the stereotypical misandrist, Jaheira the overbearing wife, and Mazzy the Unofficial Paladin. Even the Enhanced Edition falls for this: of the three new NPCs, the men are combat-oriented and the woman is a mage who can't control her powers.

Meanwhile, a female Grey Warden in "Dragon Age" can wear plate armor and swing a broadsword just like anybody else. :)

That's a unfair comparison. You're comparing BG companions to the DA protagonist.

In Dragon Age Origins, you have exactly 0 female companions that are ready for front line combat on the get go - it would take heavy intervention on your part to develop either Leliana or Wynne into melee fighters while Morrigan's melee is of the Shapeshifter quality. Dragon Age 2 added 2 females.

Unless you're counting the Golem.
    Rapscallion
    @shawne:"Shar-Teel the stereotypical misandrist"

Right because it makes so much more sense to have a skinny girl in plate armor. Clearly the system has improved.
    Moomintroll
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    After reading about Drizzt's second rival, who was a female priestess, I would really love a strong female character who had a good backstory. I am not asking you to change ever stereotype, just add some variety, and give these characters some kind of attention.
    Razor said:

@shawne:"Shar-Teel the stereotypical misandrist"

Right because it makes so much more sense to have a skinny girl in plate armor. Clearly the system has improved.

I think you are missing the point that she hates men, which is why she is considered the typical extreme feminist. The fact that she is Evil AND Chaotic doesn't help the stereotype either.

Shar-Teel DosanEdit

Jennifer Darling
    Human, Fighter, Chaotic Evil.
    Shar-Teel is an amazonian warrior woman who enjoys humiliating male adventurers by challenging them to duels and soundly thrashing them. If she is defeated in a duel by a male member of the player's party, she is impressed and grudgingly pledges to join the group. Extremely aggressive and bloodthirsty, Shar-Teel has a strong hatred of members of the opposite sex, and the Flaming Fist mercenary company in particular (although oddly, she's considerably less violent than many other evil travelling adventurers, seeing as how she doesn't attack the party on sight and even compliments the group if it is an all-female party). At the very end of the game, it is revealed that Shar-Teel is the daughter of Angelo Dosan, a lieutenant in the Flaming Fist who is also secretly in the employ of Sarevok.

http://annex.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Baldur's_Gate_characters

Communard
    @Tanthalas Drow, not humans.
    Tanthalas said:

Maciak87 said:

The hard fact is that women are MUCH WORSE combatants than males. A woman, excluding mages and so forth, has to take on male characteristics in order to at least make an attempt at becoming a soldier.

Luckily, this game is set in the Forgotten Realms where both genders can reach equivalent levels of physical prowess.

Hell, aren't female Drow supposed to have better physical stats than the males?
    Yes, female Drow are significantly more powerful than Drow males. They normally use Flails, Hammers, and Maces as their weapons of choice, plus are better at combat casting.
    edited August 2012
    Tanthalas said:

Maciak87 said:

The hard fact is that women are MUCH WORSE combatants than males. A woman, excluding mages and so forth, has to take on male characteristics in order to at least make an attempt at becoming a soldier.

Luckily, this game is set in the Forgotten Realms where both genders can reach equivalent levels of physical prowess.

Hell, aren't female Drow supposed to have better physical stats than the males?
    Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_military

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahomey_Amazons
    Communard
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Maciak87 said:

Which only means that Dragon Age is less realistic in these terms. Military always and everywhere was dominated by men, for so many reasons it would be a bother just listing them.

Good thing "Dragon Age" is set in a fantasy world, then, and one in which women have always been treated equally going back to Andraste being both Jesus and Joan of Arc. :)
    CommunardpurebredcornJalily