Skip to content

Daggers and Shortswords are awful

124»

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited October 2013
    Corvino said:

@Southpaw But what if you're Eeeeeeeeeeeevil?

...I am. So?

( @Eudaemonium hit the nail on the head. I was never able to use Twinkle :( )
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    edited October 2013

Who wants to use Twinkle anyway. It has a silly name.

Well this. I mean 'Drizzt just pummeled me to death with the Twinkle' has a somewhat nasty ring to it.
    Southpawtbone1
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    onan said:

Well this. I mean 'Drizzt just pummeled me to death with the Twinkle' has a somewhat nasty ring to it.
    And he pounded you hard with it ... right?
    EudaemoniumonanDrakeICN
  • onanonan Member Posts: 223
    Southpaw said:

onan said:

And he pounded you hard with it ... right?
    I rest my case.
    Southpaw
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Honestly, dual wielding is definitely better than 2h, the penalty is really small, only -2 thaco for the off-hand, which you attack only once with (2 thaco is 10% more chance to miss i believe), and 2handers do not really have much of an edge over 1handers.

Plus, you can run a offhand with a pretty powerful enchant on it instead of having only one weapon.. using belm as an off-hand to get 4 attacks per round comes to mind.
    jackjack
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    If you install the unfinished buisness mod for bg2 artemis entreri's jeweled dagger is nice +4 and causes level drain, a bit like a dagger equivalent of blackrazor, pfff to twinkle
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Drayen said:

Honestly, dual wielding is definitely better than 2h, the penalty is really small, only -2 thaco for the off-hand, which you attack only once with (2 thaco is 10% more chance to miss i believe), and 2handers do not really have much of an edge over 1handers.

Plus, you can run a offhand with a pretty powerful enchant on it instead of having only one weapon.. using belm as an off-hand to get 4 attacks per round comes to mind.

It's definitely not "better," but certainly different and has its own pros and cons. Mechanics aside I find it looks a little silly aesthetically on certain characters or with certain weapons. Like, Belm with the Flail of Ages just looks silly to me, whereas Gromnir wielding a flail and a morningstar looks cool as hell.
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    I don't understand the hate for daggers. My new full saga playthrough is Half Orc F/T with 2 pips daggers and 2 pips dual wield. Use throwing daggers. If anyone survives the first few seconds of ranged daggers at massive STR mod to damage (normally 2-3 hit chances at 10-13 damage) then close for dual wield with dagger of venom and other +2 daggers (e.g. from tomb area after the Nashkel Mines). You can also steal the guy's +1 Dagger in candlekeep, killing him and taking his plate armour when he catches you, to get a magic weapon from the get go.
    semiticgoddessAerakarZaghoul
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    How in the world did this get dug up from 2013? Google search?
    Shikao
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    This convo was prior to the Str dmg being added to thrown weapons.

This rule change made both darts and daggers more beneficial to strength based characters.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Darts don't get strength damage, so in comparative terms daggers and slings have been made more favorable.
    semiticgoddessAerakar
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    deltago said:

This convo was prior to the Str dmg being added to thrown weapons.

This rule change made both darts and daggers more beneficial to strength based characters.

Agree with the first part, but I have to note that darts do not benifit from STR.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Before EE, nonmagical darts got STR bonuses, though no other darts did.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    shaldon said:

I don't understand the hate for daggers. My new full saga playthrough is Half Orc F/T with 2 pips daggers and 2 pips dual wield. Use throwing daggers. If anyone survives the first few seconds of ranged daggers at massive STR mod to damage (normally 2-3 hit chances at 10-13 damage) then close for dual wield with dagger of venom and other +2 daggers (e.g. from tomb area after the Nashkel Mines). You can also steal the guy's +1 Dagger in candlekeep, killing him and taking his plate armour when he catches you, to get a magic weapon from the get go.

Probably because people seem to value dps to a tunnel vision extent. Daggers are amazing because of how many of them have secondary debilitating effects, combined with a great speed factor and dual wielding would mean that your enemies are always too crippled to attack effectively. Its the same reason that so many players hate Xan as npc (and Enchanters in general).
    ChnapyAerakarArtonaOrlonKronsteen
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    counterpoint : I hate Xan because i know that if i were to change stat bonuses to their 3.5 values he'd get -2 hp per level

Also of importance to rate items : their availability. The best shortbow in bg1 may just have one less thac0 than the best longbow but it is also found several chapters later, making longbows a much more appealing option there (also there are 2 deadshots plus a +1 comp. longbow which is almost as good, all of which can be found by chapter 3)
    Aerakar
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    @Aerakar Ah yes sorry about the necro to this thread, I got to it from a google search...
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    @shaldon no worries :) I hope there wasn't TMI above in that case.

I agree fully with your original post by the way. Throwing daggers on high strength thieves and F/Ts are excellent ranged weapons and probably the best ranged choice for proficiency point starved thieves, all things considered. In melee they are also strong in BG and decent in BG2 with the 2 APR daggers available.
    Zaghoul