Skip to content

Shag, Marry, Kill: The Baldur's Gate Version

Comments

• CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    CrevsDaak said:

Coutelier said:

As for feminism, consider... the science and technology exist now so that women could survive without men. Not the other way around. So, good idea to treat them well, I say (I also make a point of screwing the lids on things as tightly as possible, so that she still thinks I'm useful for something when she tries to open them).

I think it is a good idea to treat women good all the time just because you have the possibility to do so and because we have no reasons to do evil actions to them. And I think that the won't be able to continue humanity without any men, have you ever saw a coin with only one side? It is technically impossible.
    I was joking of course, since it's complete nonsense to say that women could use cloning and other techniques to procreate themselves, but not be able to figure out how to open jars. And Shar-Teel could easily open any jar I'd screwed on anyway.

You know what else is contradictory? Saying that this topic went to hell when discussing gender politics... then continuing to discuss gender politics!!!!!!!! (I'm only teasing)

Let's forget about frivolous stuff like gender roles and society and go back to talking about the things in life that are truly important... like which fictional cartoon character you would most like to shag!

Let's not go there; leave some people's childhood memories intact, please...

Although Bugs Bunny when he dresses up as a lady bunny...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Shar-Teel can open up a jar of whoopass thats for sure
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    xLaurax said:

It's true there's a few psycho-feminists out there, but people should be mature enough not to cherrypick those as an example against the whole movement. That's my IMO anyways. ;)

Unfortunately only the lunatics have any noticeable representation here; they have a national organization and it's a fairly small country. When the only ones you tend to come across on the internet then are usually the loons too it's easy to think of them as the standard rather than the exception.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

xLaurax said:

It's true there's a few psycho-feminists out there, but people should be mature enough not to cherrypick those as an example against the whole movement. That's my IMO anyways. ;)

Unfortunately only the lunatics have any noticeable representation here; they have a national organization and it's a fairly small country.
    Oh, no! They've discovered my ultra-top-secret country that is hidden in the plains of Beleriand and it's called Crevsland, it was created by the Grey Elves to protect their kind!!!!
    I must run like a fugitive!!!

@Coutelier sorry, I didn't get it as a joke.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2014
    Deleted, because cold medicine and serious discussion do not mix.
    Post edited by Moczo on
    Moczo said:

Don't think your post was inflammatory or anything. Better safe than sorry isn't a bad call though.

I must say I'm surprised at the lack of love for Jan and Mazzy in this thread so far. To think they'd die lonely and unloved, it's real saddening tbh.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Moczo said:

Don't think your post was inflammatory or anything. Better safe than sorry isn't a bad call though.

I must say I'm surprised at the lack of love for Jan and Mazzy in this thread so far. To think they'd die lonely and unloved, it's real saddening tbh.
    Jan Jansen shall never die alone, so long as he still has his beloved turnips.
    Or his Smuggling Monkeys from his ToB epilogue, (which is the 2nd best epilogue after Keldron's (Keldron's made me cry, but Jan's made me cry of laugh), but Jan's was the funniest epilogue).
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited January 2014
    didn't know what to say for the longest time. but sometimes I feel compelled to comment on as many threads as I can :)

marry: Jaheira. well as an asexual I like that I don't need to ever have sex with her. I guess I wouldn't be able to base things so much off of where the romance goes, but she is still the most attractice just looking at the character to me. Viconia is too pushy, Aerie is too childish, and they both end up wanting to sleep much too soon for me and I don't need that anyway. When Jaheira actually asks, I always politely decline in the game

shag: hard choice, being an asexual I don't really feel a want to shag in the first place. If I had to choose I will say Viconia. Looking at Viconia and Aerie, Vic looks more likely to have a one night stand and done, while Aerie would be unwilling to let go and enter some deep depression when I push her away. I didn't even get around to Neera yet :)

kill: this is again a hard choice. Aerie or Neera? honestly, I would have to choose Neera. Sometimes she is just so..... ungrateful. I was kind of pissed off at her final comment in her BG1 quest. I do like her character other than that and the romance though. She is better in BG2, but as I said, I don't like her romance. I got a laugh about the complementing my rations part, but IRL that would be the moment I step back and never talk to her again. she is the quickest to want to sleep with me, as the vanilla NPCs have much longer romances. I guess since I must kill somebody, she will be the one to go :) Aerie, at least she isn't ungrateful and I understand why she is upset, but I still generally don't like her that much. It is strange to take what is like a scared little girl from the circus on an adventure to become a god.

none of them live up to my Tali though. I actually do love characters starting out as nobodies in the killing business, but there is a big difference between her and Aerie's writing that makes Aerie just seem like a child and while Tali was considered a child in the first game on her pilgrimage she acted much more mature and willingly joined the crew. I like characters who, despite their inexperience, are brave and join you to do the right thing and show no hesitation. I could go on and on about the reason I like her, but it doesn't matter because this is about Baldur's Gate NPCs

none of them live up to my Tali though. I actually do love characters starting out as nobodies in the killing business, but there is a big difference between her and Aerie's writing that makes Aerie just seem like a child and while Tali was considered a child in the first game on her pilgrimage she acted much more mature and willingly joined the crew. I like characters who, despite their inexperience, are brave and join you to do the right thing and show no hesitation. I could go on and on about the reason I like her, but it doesn't matter because this is about Baldur's Gate NPCs

Basically, exactly like Aerie, who also joins willingly because she wants to travel and learn about the world, and grows a lot over the course of her adventures. The main difference is that Aerie doesn't get three games to grow into.

edited January 2014
    @coutelier as I said, a lot to do with the writing and circumstances. i mostly made that as a comparison to Aerie for a similar character. i made the point that they are indeed quite the same character, yet there dialogues created a different outlook on them for me. something in there made one of these characters my all time favorite NPC of any game ever and one of them a character I have no desire to ever romance, but will sometimes take her in the group. Trying to make a point I don't have too much against what they did with Aerie because it kind of succeeded elsewhere. they are both characters who are not soldiers, but rather more like civilians. however Aerie is introduced as a damsel in distress who couldn't solve her problems without help, while Tali you go to save and rather she takes control of her own situation when we arrive. Aerie joins up with Quayle telling her to do so and without anything important elsewhere, while Tali joins up with no reasons other than to help the universe when she has a pilgrimage to be doing. Aerie is also just too much of a child in comparison to me, though Tali had her moments in ME1 like being homesick. I just find she deals with her issues in a more mature manner and on her own without my help. that dialogue quickly gets away from that and we instead talk about her people, and next time I talk to her she is already feeling better about the whole thing.

I think another thing against Aerie is it is too much of a fairy tale thing. Everything is so perfect and lovely that it turns out not perfect for me lol. she lacks conflicts and stuff to make some tension in the whole thing. something that Jaheira gets right with all the harper hold stuff, or Tali's crazy loyalty mission that I love :)
    I think Quayle just sees he needs to let her go; she's likely wanted to leave the circus for a long time and is very happy when the chance comes along.

I'll admit I've not really played Mass Effect, but I know they're often seen as similar characters. And of course Tali even has references to Minsc and Aerie. I would say about Aerie being a damsel in distress that when you arrive, although she's in jeopardy, she doesn't ask for help; at first, she tells you to go and save yourself. If you're persistent, she'll let you try to help. I like that bravery about her. Although I've always found it regrettable that Aerie doesn't get her own quest; taking down another group of slavers is obviously something she'd always be up for.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited January 2014
    @Silverstar

But... she is way more hateful toward men than Eldoth toward (one) women and there is a double standard here that her behavior and attitude is "awesome, entertaining, interesting" and Eldoth is a "slimy creep". What gives her the pass and not him?

Standard modern age "political correctness" probably; it's okay to be sexist if woman, okay to be racist if minority and automatic homophobia brand if not in complete agreement in any discussion where non-heterosexuality is the topic.

I've never really had Eldoth along for more than a few seconds to check out his stats and whatnot (only 2 proper playthroughs in Baldur's Gate for me... shameful I know) but from the descriptions of him in this thread, I too think he seems a creep. Seeing as the companions doesn't really have personality at all in the first game I probably will never try having him along long enough to find out. But I also think Shar-Teel is a dumb feminist bitch so I'd say they're both equally bad. Not badly written or badly designed mind you, just terrible people I'd want as little to do with as possible.
    You, I like you.

inb4lock
    Coutelier said:

I think Quayle just sees he needs to let her go; she's likely wanted to leave the circus for a long time and is very happy when the chance comes along.

I'll admit I've not really played Mass Effect, but I know they're often seen as similar characters. And of course Tali even has references to Minsc and Aerie. I would say about Aerie being a damsel in distress that when you arrive, although she's in jeopardy, she doesn't ask for help; at first, she tells you to go and save yourself. If you're persistent, she'll let you try to help. I like that bravery about her. Although I've always found it regrettable that Aerie doesn't get her own quest; taking down another group of slavers is obviously something she'd always be up for.

"Go for the optics, Chatika, go for the optics!"
    "Nobody's faster than Chatika Vas Paus!"

believe me, references aren't as awesome heard new to old as compared to old to new. i got BG after ME2 so I then heard the quotes and was like "hey, Tali referenced them!"

believe me, references aren't as awesome heard new to old as compared to old to new. i got BG after ME2 so I then heard the quotes and was like "hey, Tali referenced them!"

Everything Tali says is awesome.

Everything Tali says is awesome.
    agreed. but I would have preferred the nostalgia over realizing they were just a reference :)
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    Shag: Imoen
    Marry: Mazzy
    Kill: Garrick
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    Khyron said:

Shag: Boo. Always wondered what'd it be like to put a rodent down my boxer
    Marry: Shar-Teel. I am a fan of domestic violence
    Kill: Cernd.. just.. ugh

LOL @booinyoureyes likes what he sees
    Ok, time for the mammalian version...

Shag: Ursa. She's the second most radical bear in the game.
    Marry: Boo.
    Kill: Karoug (as soon as I find a decent weapon...)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

Ok, time for the mammalian version...

*thats* not weird...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

I call hamster/furball bias!
    BG1 NPC Project version:

Shag: Branwen. Cuz Valkur's strappin' buttocks thats why.

Marry: Dynaheir. Having that very large third wheel around may get bothersome, but imagine what his reaction would be if I killed her or shagged her? Don't wanna see that.
    Besides, who wouldn't want homeboy Minsc as the best man at their wedding? Would give the best speech ever.

Kill: Shar-Teel. Completely self defense.
    jackjack said:

I call hamster/furball bias!
    You know... I recently discovered that there is this subculture of people who call themselves "Furries".

It was... very disturbing.