Skip to content

What the heck is this thing supposed to be?

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
This is going to be a kinda pointless thread but I just felt like sharing this for some reason. Without fail, every time I go to the old temple of Amaunator underneath the Athkatla sewers (part of the unseeing eye questline) I have to stop and very carefully examine something in the area before moving on. So strange and ever so slightly dirty looking is this object that it is almost impossible to not stop and ponder what it could be for about 30 seconds.

So thoughts anyone? What is this thing? Has anyone else wondered about it or is it just me?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Omg I never noticed this before. The thing it holds with both hands seems to be the continuation of its trunk. Hopefully.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TethorilofLathanderTethorilofLathander Member Posts: 427
    Umber Elephant XD
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    THANK YOU! lol, Yes, I have always been thrown by that.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    Wha-!? No we are sure Bioware wasn't only in video game marketing.
    I never realized this, mainly because I haven't reached this area in BG2:EE and because vanilla's area looking is very bad and pixeled to look at this.
    @Tresset SMRT guy realized you're playing the beta!

Its clearly the male counterpart to the Venus of Willendorf.

Oh man, you made me CRY (of laugh)!
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    It's what happens if you give shoddy building material to commisioned artists!
    edited February 2014
    @Tresset well, that one is OK compared with this one...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Dunno. To me, this looks like one happy and pretrified Aboleth.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Good thing Aerie wasn't there, oh her innocence! On second thought, now that I think about it, I'm not so sure of her innocence after all...Aerie = one night + baby.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    @CrevsDaak That one is really disturbing...
    And I like your portrait, looks great!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @CrevsDaak

As if you can't recognize that!?! Did the monks of Candlekeep not teach you anything about modern art culture?! That is one of the Late Prism's early masterpieces entitled "Death to broccoli" It is the shape of three eye sockets from some noble paladin beholder. If you look closely, you'll see that the eyes are actually giant star sapphires, stol... errr... acquired from some Svirfneblin.

There was meant to be 3 more additional sockets, however - sadly he was chased away from the area before he could put his finishing touches to it. It is still a masterful example of his work though
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I have nothing to do with that thing! (What are you seeing in it anyway? SO͜ ̢CONF̢US͡ED) I have seven kingdoms to rule, I can't possibly waste any time on funny rock formations. Maybe it's a storage area of some sort, could be outside Castle Coffinnail. But that's under the rule of @Anduin, Grandmaester of the Dark Arts, now. I gave him my word that he can operate there at his own discretion.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

I have nothing to do with that thing! (What are you seeing in it anyway? SO͜ ̢CONF̢US͡ED) I have seven kingdoms to rule, I can't possibly waste any time on funny rock formations. Maybe it's a storage area of some sort, could be outside Castle Coffinnail. But that's under the rule of @Anduin, Grandmaester of the Dark Arts, now. I gave him my word that he can operate there at his own discretion.

Well the late Prism didn't ask for your permission to carve and create it. You just inspired him with your beauty and grace that he was compelled to capture it the only way an artist could. Hiding in a cave (in another dimension) fearful of being hunted down by deep gnomes, bounty hunters and rulers of seven kingdoms who may or may not want their image created out of granite and gems.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Tresset said:

So thoughts anyone? What is this thing? Has anyone else wondered about it or is it just me?
    My thoughts on this? Go home Giger, you are drunk!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Of course! It's a fat faun alien!
  • shrekdjshrekdj Member Posts: 50
    It's something I am not allowed to speak. Funny enough, pictures can. Forum rules.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    To me is nothing more than this:

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    The end is in the water. Maybe it's a frog-elephant hybrid and drinks that way?