Skip to content

The most annoying npc

Comments

• RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    Coutelier said:

I don't think she's suicidal at all; she wants to feel better and become stronger. She just has to work through her feelings, because you can't really just choose not to be unhappy.

LT 26:
    ~We're--we're stopping? *sob* I just feel like collapsing here and dying; I just don't think I can go on.~
    = ~Perhaps it is better and more fitting if I just... just die. Like a bird whose wings are broken, I am useless, ... utterly useless. *sob!*~

I don't think she's actively suicidal, but there are some serious warning bells going off here regardless. If you were fighting Firkraag on a day she was feeling like this, you might well end up with a side of burnt elf.
    KidCarnivallaptopman666CrevsDaakIsewein
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2014
    Rhaella said:

Coutelier said:

I don't think she's suicidal at all; she wants to feel better and become stronger. She just has to work through her feelings, because you can't really just choose not to be unhappy.

LT 26:
    ~We're--we're stopping? *sob* I just feel like collapsing here and dying; I just don't think I can go on.~
    = ~Perhaps it is better and more fitting if I just... just die. Like a bird whose wings are broken, I am useless, ... utterly useless. *sob!*~

I don't think she's actively suicidal, but there are some serious warning bells going off here regardless. If you were fighting Firkraag on a day she was feeling like this, you might well end up with a side of burnt elf.
    She's depressed, yes. That particular one is obviously the lowest ebb she reaches. I would say she would still fight to prevent others and herself being killed, although obviously you should realistically wait a few hours for her to feel better (which she does very quickly after that banter) before taking on Firkraag, yes. But like I said, right at the beginning she demonstrates putting aside her own problems to help others.
    Post edited by Coutelier on
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    Well...Aerie isn't an adventurer. She's no better off than say your character and Imoen were when leaving Candlekeep. Just imagine if your character had instead of grown up in a (seemingly...lol) carefree existance it was the opposite. Where he/ she had been captured, enslaved, mutilated and paraded like a freakshow animal. Then your "Quayle" in Gorian nurtured you, taught you some skills and then sent you off. She doesn't even have an "Imoen" or sibling character. She's alone. She'll never go home, she'll never see her family again.

I'll admit to not being a big Aerie fan, as I'm not. But like Nalia she's sort of someone I have ethical concerns taking on a "fun, adventure-filled" life considering everything. Whether its percieved irritating or understandable, it's pretty realistic for say Aerie to act that way after everything. And especially if you romance her (haven't done that, the only male character I had went for Jaheria over Aerie) it's more like you need to nurture those insecurities. That's her at her worse, and eventually it makes the girl stronger and get past all that people have done to her.

Yep, it can be a bit "poor little me!" at times but then hey...a lot of people you meet are like that :p especially the more naive, sheltered ones.
    elminsterRhaellaArtonaIsewein
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited February 2014
    Let the debate commence!

*Grabs popcorn*
    Post edited by Quartz on
    jackjackCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 207
    edited February 2014
    How did she become captured in the first place - if she truly was a winged elf, and was taken captive to be shown around as some zoo animal, because of her wings, then why, oh why didn´t she fly away, high to the stratosphere?
    Tarlugn said:

How did she become captured in the first place - if she truly was a winged elf, and was taken captive to be shown around as some zoo animal, because of her wings, why, oh why didn´t she fly away, high to the stratosphere?

She was shot by an arrow. And when she talks about being 'chained and weighted like miserable prisoners of earth', that's not entirely a metaphor. And there was a cage. And if even if she could have gotten away, she'd have had no idea where to go after that.
    elminster
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Every NPC on this list is awesome and not too annoying to me (though I can see why others might find them irritating).

I'd say Nalia is one of the most annoying to me, and her aunt is ten times worse.
    Ajantis's lines can get kind of bothersome, though I like him as a character.
    Neera in the first EE (she's ungrateful and some of her voiced command sounds give me a headache), though in the second EE she is much better. I had a similar reaction to Jaheira. In the first game I hated her bossy self, but I loved her in BG2.

I'm actually surprised Anomen was not a choice, since (judging from comments on this forum) I think hhe would be the favorite to win this thing.
    QuartzWolkJuliusBorisov
    Oh... I forgot to mention a big one.
    SKIE.
    If I find any NPC annoying its her, though I do like the character concept.
    I also can't have Minsc in two consecutive playthroughs, though he is one of my favorite characters. I used to take him all the time, but his jokes get a little irritating after one too many times. I guess you could say that about any character though. The only NPC that I can take every play-through without getting annoying is Yoshimo (also Keldorn and Imoen don't ever annoy me)
    jackjackJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak

Coutelier said:

I definitely agree though there are parts of her romance that are badly written. It should be clearer when she offers to sleep with you that she's really uncomfortable and not sure about it, for example.

Okay, seriously, am I the only person in the world who realized that sleeping with her the first time was a bad idea? I thought it was completely obvious. Maybe because I'm a woman?
    I don't think I slept with her the first time either, but it I think it was from the player responses I sensed which one would be bad; there was one that basically said ''bout time! Let's go!'.
    QuartzNonnahswriterIsewein

Oh... I forgot to mention a big one.
    SKIE.
    If I find any NPC annoying its her, though I do like the character concept.
    I also can't have Minsc in two consecutive playthroughs, though he is one of my favorite characters. I used to take him all the time, but his jokes get a little irritating after one too many times. I guess you could say that about any character though. The only NPC that I can take every play-through without getting annoying is Yoshimo (also Keldorn and Imoen don't ever annoy me)

Skie is very under-utilized. She has about the coolest set up ever, and all she is when it comes down to it is a valley-girl joke. Heh, disappointing for sure.
    Coutelier said:

Coutelier said:

I definitely agree though there are parts of her romance that are badly written. It should be clearer when she offers to sleep with you that she's really uncomfortable and not sure about it, for example.

Okay, seriously, am I the only person in the world who realized that sleeping with her the first time was a bad idea? I thought it was completely obvious. Maybe because I'm a woman?
    I don't think I slept with her the first time either, but it I think it was from the player responses I sensed which one would be bad; there was one that basically said ''bout time! Let's go!'.
    Yeahhh >_>

My character resisted the urge (successful Will saving throw)

Now maybe if I made my Fortitude save I wouldn't have been stuck with the baby...
    QuartzKidCarnivaljackjackCrevsDaak
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I'm actually surprised Anomen was not a choice, since (judging from comments on this forum) I think hhe would be the favorite to win this thing.

I'm not sure I would've been able to vote if he was. Anomen vs Quayle... I think such a douche-off would result in a cataclysm.
    NonnahswriterQuartzbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
    Coutelier said:

She was shot by an arrow. And when she talks about being 'chained and weighted like miserable prisoners of earth', that's not entirely a metaphor. And there was a cage. And if even if she could have gotten away, she'd have had no idea where to go after that.

Oh, no! Was there ever any kind of revelation of whom were her anonymous kidnappers?

...and about Skie - for the brief time I had her and Eldoth in my party, she reminded me so much of Nalia De´Arnise without an agenda to help the less fortunate. Her comments btw are very credible in comparison to what the other npcs say when clicked, too bad my reputational failure made her quit.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Pecca said:

Pecca said:

I thought it was a good idea. Oh, women... :)
    Of course you did. *eyeroll*

Men.
    Though she had charisma of 20 at the time. Try to say no to that.
    Cast Friends. Problem solved. :P
    @Tarlugn Yup as I have said before Nalia is basically Skie 2.0
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak
    Tarlugn said:

Coutelier said:

Oh, no! Was there ever any kind of revelation of whom were her anonymous kidnappers?
    We know they were slavers, but no names or anything are ever revealed in the game, no.

I had an idea once that I never used anywhere that one of Nalia's ancestors were involved, like her father or grand father, but Aerie of course wouldn't tell until someone else tried to use it against her. But then it turned that Nalia's ancestor had saved Aerie by putting up the money for the circus to buy her, thinking it was saving her life because she'd have been sold to a wizard or something who might have dissected her.

Hmm, clearly Faerun in Aerie´s elven childhood was a different world, due to the thought of either hunting a winged elf, or to show one as a spectacle in a circus.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175

Pecca said:

Pecca said:

I thought it was a good idea. Oh, women... :)
    Of course you did. *eyeroll*

Men.
    Though she had charisma of 20 at the time. Try to say no to that.
    Cast Friends. Problem solved. :P
    Oh, it got solved. It was not that much of a problem. :P
    jackjack
    edited February 2014
    Tarlugn said:

Hmm, clearly Faerun in Aerie´s elven childhood was a different world, due to the thought of either hunting a winged elf, or to show one as a spectacle in a circus.

As mentioned in the game though, most people in Faerun have never heard of avariel, or think they're a myth or extinct. If you captured a a supposedly mythical creature, like a fairy or mermaid in our world for example, I imagine there would be lots of people in any world who would pay a lot to be able to display it.

So they weren't hunting for winged elves; the slavers were attacking some other traveling people when Aerie decided to intervene to save a small boy who was running away. The slavers obviously just couldn't believe their luck to have a myth suddenly fall into their hands.
    semiticgoddess
    Quartz said:

Quayle purely for comic relief + AMAZING voice acting. Sue me :)

I thought I was alone in this XD Love his voice acting
    Also love Anomen. The most realistic character for sure, given his background and family. The fact that:

Anomen. Arrogant.

is why I think he's a great character!
    QuartzjackjackCrevsDaakEmpyrial
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

is why I think he's a great character!

Arrogance is cruise control to being hated by me. Oh how I love it when games let me give arrogant bastards what they deserve :)
    [Deleted User]