Skip to content

If BG came out today...

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    126. Your weapons and armor degrade with use but can be repaired by other similar items or you may take them to a blacksmith and pay to have them repaired.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    127. Scenes of an intimate nature would result in you acquiring a particular type of card (yea I'm referring to the Witcher 1)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
    edited July 2014
    128. At high levels, the loot from every bandit you meet, would include two-handed swords +5 and robes of the Archmagi.

I'm talking about any game with auto-scaling system, especially Oblivion where the loot from usual enemies looked ... strange at high levels.

Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    elminster said:

40. (going off what terzaerian wrote) There would be achievements.
    41. There would be trading cards.
    42. You would have to be online to play the single-player part of the game.
    43. There would be no LAN (or in BGEE's case TCP/IP) option.
    44. There would be no epilogues. Or if there were any they would only come in a post-release patch after fans complain.

Re 41... the BG2 had cards if bought the Collector's Edition... tbh, I bought it due to strongarming (no normal edition available). $70 iirc... never truly regretted it though. :3
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    DreadKhan said:

Re 41... the BG2 had cards if bought the Collector's Edition... tbh, I bought it due to strongarming (no normal edition available). $70 iirc... never truly regretted it though. :3

Still have mine at home in the US. I know it included Jaheira and Haer'Dalis cards, but I don't recall which other ones. I also love the cloth map...it reminds me of all the goodies that used to come with the Ultima games.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

131. It wouldn't use the Forgotten Realms IP, because royalties are too expensive-it would be set in an 'original' setting that's just a pastiche of several other settings. (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age)

Well that is slightly not fair. Bioware was purchased by EA who didn't have any rights (thankfully!!) to make D&D games. Dragon Age was an amazing new campaign setting that was extremely easy to get into and explore the mythos and cannon. The original Bioware team did an amazing job at creating it. Whoever was responsible for DA2 did an amazing job destroying it. Original settings do need a sense of familiarity to it may lose some of its appeal.

#132 is priceless though.
  • terzaerianterzaerian Member Posts: 232
    Well that is pretty much what Kangaxx is already. Regardless, Vancian magic = the best magic. The proliferation of sorceror-like classes in later editions of D&D gives me some pause, though...
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96

128. You can only play as a human.
    130. No spell memorization slots-all spells and abilities are on a 30-second cooldown timer.

Good lord, a Time Stop every 30 seconds. Liches would be unbearable

Well, universal cooldowns on all abilities for player characters. Enemies and bosses would telegraph their special attacks across the screen, and would be avoidable via quick time event.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Vancian works okayish, but has plenty of glaring issues. Its only worthwhile imho as a gaming system... tends to be awful for storytelling. That said, high magic is usually gonna kill storytelling anyways. The whole premise of 'quadratic caster vs linear fighters' is basicly fantasy fulfillment for bookish types, and is a huge problem with many gaming systems. Sure, everyone can have strengths and weaknesses, but in vancian systems usually the only weakness of casters is 'poor choices'. Which is stupid. The psionic system of powerpoints was a good improvement imho, though casters are still too good generally.
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92

CaloNord said:

Man it already is. People are modding her into Skyrim.

Are you kidding me. Please tell me your kidding. She's THAT popular?
    For real man. Would I lie?

I had nothing to do with this, by the way. Though I did make this, which is a mod which adds some BG-style sporadic commentary to your followers.
    OMG, that author ruined her face entirely!
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92
    meagloth said:

49. Serevok would be the hardest battle In The game. He would have 45 hit points...

but 32 conditions to remove, and 2 others that are irremovable and arbitrary.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
    139. You would get XP only if you complete a quest objective. There would be no XP rewards for killing enemies, so no ankheg and basilisk hunting...
  • jscohenjscohen Member Posts: 117
    edited August 2014

141. At the end of the game next to the Mana Forge, there would be three options: Blue, Green and Red. Choosing any of these options causes a Blue/Green/Red wave of "Bhaal energy" to spread across the universe. Blue: *Everyone* becomes Bhaalspawn; peace and harmony ensues. Green: See Blue. Red: See Green.

Hah! I was literally just about to post something along those lines.

142. People would complain about the events described in 141, and BioWare would respond by saying that people just didn't understand the literary characteristics of the story that they were trying to tell. BioWare would then release DLC that changed the ending in ways that didn't matter.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    143. Noober would be an actual teenager.

144. Discussion boards would be overrun with threads like "Shank is overpowered"; "Stoneskin IMBA lol"; "sorcerer kobold-farming build"
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    145. There would still be a quite thread of 10,000 entries somewhere by half a dozen lucky people that obliviously & happily had been doing no-reload runs of the original Baldur's Gate since release:

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/124277-baldurs-gate-2-no-reload-challenge/page-386

"Mass Effect? Why would I play that?"
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

134. Bizarre tonal shift between the first and the second game.

Are you implying this didn't happen?