Skip to content

[MOD] -Scales of Balance- a post-hac tweak mod

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited August 2014
    @subtledoctor‌ it looks like I was wrong about that according to @Demivrgvs‌ . There is still the matter of use any item and selection at creation (though you can block that with hidespl.2da--you will be blocking anybody--eg sorcerers--from selecting said spell however.)
    edited August 2014

Okay another question: does it matter how many columns a CLABxx.2da file has? Depending on a player's modlist, they might have rules extending to level 30, level 40, or level 50. Is it a problem for one row in a CLAB file to have 10 extra instances of "**** " at the end of the row? Or will it mess with the game's ability to read the next row?

I don't think it matters but the best way to know is try it and see if something breaks
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for taking the time and reading my big post of random thoughts :)

So about the weapon enchantment tweak, just that I understand it correctly:
    - Weapons keep there enchantment level +1, +2, +3 etc. for damage and Thac0.
    - When checking what they can hit they will have three levels: enchanted (can hit some magical monsters), named (can hit most things like demons etc.), artifact (can hit everything except mages under absolute immunity?).

About the Duskblade (3e base class) its like a single class Fighter/Mage with less spellcasting but more dynamic. (http://dndtools.eu/classes/duskblade/). (I'm not a big fan of Dual/Multi classes mechanics, but thats just me)
    - Can learn spells till level 5
    - Cast spells in Light & Medium armor
    - Can channel some spells to meele

There is a mod that does a good job with it but it cannot learn spells or use scrolls etc.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/29633/mod-duskblade-kit-v1-1-for-bg1-ee-and-bg2-ee/p1
    So my request could be over the top.

There is also a similar class called Hexblade (http://dndtools.eu/classes/hexblade/)
    Maybe it would be a better thing, because it has no mod for BG1/2:EE.
    - Curses enemies, Aura of Unluck etc.
    - Has a dark feeling (restricted to neutral or evil)
    - Can learn spells till level 4
    - Gain Familiar at level 4

But that are just nice Kits I like, so not important for you mod (but if you like them to I would love to see them in your mod)
    (There is also an older mod that implements some good kits, but sadly its not compatible with EE know

About:
    MISCELLANEOUS .2da TWEAKS
    - HIT POINT TWEAKS: I'm with you. I never liked how it progressed. Very week to very though does not feel realistic.
    - They sound all very convenient and make sense

Also having the mod compatible with SR mod and IR mod sounds nice (these to are my favorites so far)
    Maybe a list of recommended mods would be nice to. Also is there a specific install order? I think yours go last right?
    edited August 2014
    @‌subtledoctor

Kit mods work in 1.2. I cant post at,length now and I'm not at my computer, but later I'll explain and/or link you to an explanation
    edited August 2014
    edited August 2014

If it works, no worries. It's just that I've heard a lot of people say "Beamdog messed up kit mods" and the 1.3 patch notes even say "we fixed compatibility with kit mods."

I'm still going to work on this, 1) for GOG installs; 2) for the prof, item, spell and vanilla kit balance tweaks; and 3) for EE 1.3, which will probably be out before I finish.

sorry, I wasn't clear. It works but there are some extra steps (which integrate many unhardcoded features). They "broke" kits by allowing one more options in creating them.

Edit: create your kits as normal for now. It can be amended easily at any time
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Really impressed with the work you are putting in here, thinking about installing pretty soon actually :)
    edited August 2014
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    I totaly understand that you first want to finish the work before adding new kits. I just though if you add a Bladesinger maybe add a slighty differnt Kit for non Elfs ;)
    Waiting for 2.1, than I will try a first run.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited August 2014
    edited August 2014
    edited August 2014
    I don't think you'll have a usability problem (i.e. Marksman able to use ranger only items). Usability can be best understood as unusability and the starting point for any kit is it's base class. There are other hardcoded features (eg shadowdancer hips; blackguard not falling; barred schools, etc.) that are attached to usability that can be useful in creating kits.

What this means is that first your marksman will be unable to use any item barred to a fighter (so, no ranger only items), then unable to use any item barred to an archer. There is a new opcode in bgee that adds usability I think, but I don't know exactly how it works atm.
    Edit:
    If you don't want any restrictions beyond fighter, then you can just give him fighter usability (i think 0x...400 or 0x...4000)
    edited August 2014
    It would be trivially easy to give a penalty to ranged weapons when wearing heavy armors. Makes conceptual sense anyway
    edited August 2014
    it could run into difficulties if said mods don't follow naming conventions, that is true. But you would have the same problem eg adding dex penalties or with any mass patching which would be essential to maintaining compatibility.

But i certainly understand the desire to minimize your workload
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    To get started in changing item with WeiDU, I recommend those particular parts of the weidu read me:
    http://weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#htoc29
    http://weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#htoc23
    http://weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#htoc21
    And the IESDP's file format descriptions:
    http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/file_formats/ie_formats/
    Grammarsalad
    edited August 2014
    Everything you need is there ^

Edit: d'oh! I forgot about read byte! So yeah, trivial. |
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
    edited August 2014
    CrevsDaak
    Sorry, I'm not sure I understand, and I can't open the zip with this device. Are you just omitting k_f_h (ie human entries) or k_f_x (ie all entries) ? And when exactly are you getting the error?
    edited August 2014
    That may be beyond my pay grade but I'll see if I can make sense of it later
    edited August 2014
    Looks like this will be fixed in 1.3
    CrevsDaak
    edited August 2014
    edited August 2014