Skip to content

Best IWD party setup

I never played IWD, and I was thinking of doing so (I brought the game from GOG like 2 months ago, lol), but I don't know which would be the best party setup… Ideas?
jackjackFrogmanlolienStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• SedSed Member Posts: 790
    A well balanced party works good. Looking at certain items in the game, you might want to meta-game a bit and pick certain alignments ;)
    CrevsDaak
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    On the original engine you wanted a lot of clerics and tanky fighters. Not sure how this changes on the new engine
    MetallomanCrevsDaakjackjack
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I never finished the game (got to Dragon's Eye and got tired of dungeon after dungeon with very few sidequests), but from what I saw a fighter/thief is preferable to a pure thief, since you won't need THAT much in the way of thief skills.
    CrevsDaak
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    CamDawg said:

RP-wise I'd suggest a bard and a druid at a minimum; perhaps a paladin as well.

Word, yo. Besides, Druids are pretty beast in IWD...
    CrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    procco said:

Druids are pretty badass too. Much better and useful spells than in the BG games. Keep them off the front line, though.

If you are going to go into the front lines there is always Beast Claw or your shapeshifting forms (I believe back in the day Hearts of Winter introduced more of these compared to what you'd get in BGEE/BG2EE).
    CrevsDaakprocco
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    I remember a couple rules that were different that in BG saga (with heart of winter, that is): rangers used to have an extra attack when they wielded a single hand weapon and no shield (to simulate dual wielding). That extra attack made them a really interesting choice for IWD, if only because no other class had access to it. Maybe because of that ranger/clerics were nerfed and they received druids spells whenever the ranger class would had access to them (i.e. they have access to druid level 1 spells when they hit ranger level 6, instead of getting them right from level 1). I guess that extra attack is now off the table, so I wonder if we'll have BG style ranger/clerics
    CrevsDaakRAM021
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    To use the best helmet, available technically as soon as you reach Kuldahar you need a halfling or gnome who can wear helmets. Thieves in this game aren't that great. A single class thief is a waste. Single class clerics are too, and if BG2 style weapon points remain, being a Fighter7/9/13->Cleric is better than ever.

Dual wielding should be absolutely BROKEN! Dual wield a Morning Star of Action with a Long Sword of action for 2 APR! If Imp Haste is in the game, then game over, all ice is saved forever, final destination, game over yeah!
    DexterCrevsDaakRAM021
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    The best party is using Kuylok's Party Mod, dang it. Because they are adorable and fun and... okay, very good aligned, but fun!

Failing that, abrd. Baaaard.
    AstroBryGuyCrevsDaakjobby
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Twani said:

The best party is using Kuylok's Party Mod, dang it. Because they are adorable and fun and... okay, very good aligned, but fun!

Failing that, abrd. Baaaard.

I agree! I can't imagine IWD without Holvir, Korin, Nella, Severn, and Teri! I hope IWDEE will be compatible with @kulyok‌'s mod.
    CrevsDaakjobbyRaistlin82
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

IWD has tough battles, yo'll need at least 2 mages, one of them a multiclass,

A Bard and a Mage works as well. In addition it's good to have both a Cleric and a Druid, plus some sort of Fighter/Thief.

CrevsDaakMetallomanRAM021
    That party cannot use the Trusted Defender, it is therefore lacking. It is far too tall and lacks a saving throw abuser.

A Gnomish F/I souped on his buffs with the Trusted Defender is an absolute tank... nothing has True Sight anyway and single class mages with IWD spellbooks are extra lacking. A C/I can also work with added priest spells. Cleric spells are highly effective in the dales, though alignment matters more than ever. You'll want a buddy or two who can abuse Righteous Wrath of the Faithful by being your alignment.
    CrevsDaakRAM021Frogman
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited August 2014
    OK thanks for the recommendations people ;)
    I'm going to solo IWD.
    J/K :P

Edit: I'm going to use this party setup:
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
    Human Thief->Cleric
    Gnome Fighter/Illusionist
    Wood Elf Fighter/Druid (because editing why not thank you)
    Half-Elf Bard
    Halfling Fighter/Thief
    JuliusBorisov
    @elminster‌ yeah, but I'll dual class the other one at level 2, just to be able to have two thieves at low levels, where they are actually needed (since they all have low thieving skills).
    Or just be a cleric/Thief multi, leaving your the rest of your team free to use good classes while the CT does all the utility. Remember a certain helmet.
    CrevsDaaklolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Sorcerer Solo!!!
    JuliusBorisovby_the_swordlolienElendar
    meagloth said:

Sorcerer Solo!!!

There are no Sorcerers on the original IWD @meagloth‌.
    booinyoureyes
    meagloth said:

CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

Sorcerer Solo!!!

But there are in iwd:ee, right?
    yeah, but I don't have IWD:EE and I probably won't (parents won't buy it).
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

CrevsDaak said:

meagloth said:

Sorcerer Solo!!!

But there are in iwd:ee, right?
    yeah, but I don't have IWD:EE and I probably won't (parents won't buy it).
    Coo! I got preorder. I think my mom thinks its my birthday present though. Oh well, works for me:)
    CrevsDaakkaguanaJuliusBorisovlolien
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I always want a paladin. I'm not saying that one of the best weapons in the game is pally-only... But I'm totally saying that one of the best weapons in the game is pally-only. If I remember correctly, the way "I" would go is...

Paladin
    Fighter/Thief
    Gnome Cleric/Illusionist
    Druid or Fighter/Druid
    Someone else who can use swords and magic. Maybe a Fighter/Mage? This is my "IDK" slot.
    Bard
    CrevsDaakJairyannaJuliusBorisovreivision