Skip to content

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Announced! (Release Date: October 30, 2014)

Comments

• jamoecwjamoecw Member Posts: 41
    the leather armor i posted earlier is for hide armor, mundane only, magical hide tends not to have the penalties. the point about needing above 100 in certain skills due to armor remains valid (elven chain tends to be the most protective). after talking to the one that wrote the guide i can say that the values came from the game itself, either from game files, or from a hex editor while the game was running (such as the no armor bonuses which don't appear in the game files), which is a trick from those days to find what was going on (very popular for diablo). ToB didn't change the armor in the game files, i am unsure about the rest though.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Doesn't matter where they come from, they are still wrong. Armour that gives bonuses or penalties to thief skills includes it in the description, and it is included in the values shown on the character sheet. There is absolutely no bonus for not wearing armour.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Fardragon said:

Doesn't matter where they come from, they are still wrong. Armour that gives bonuses or penalties to thief skills includes it in the description, and it is included in the values shown on the character sheet. There is absolutely no bonus for not wearing armour.

Some people would say that watching certain characters running around naked is bonus enough, just not in these games.
    Fardragon said:

you should play the game again, half the armors that give penalties don't list it in the description, but you can see the effects on the character sheet. as for the certainty about the no armor thing, given that they apparently came from the game itself (and at the code level no less) i would probably try to think about offering some explanation as to why you think it is wrong.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2014
    jamoecw said:

you should play the game again, half the armors that give penalties don't list it in the description, but you can see the effects on the character sheet.

Such as? If you wear full plate mail and you are a fighter/thief the only thing it does is disable certain buttons for you. Your skills won't actually be lowered. Elven chainmails, hide armors, and probably some other exception to the rule (that I can't immediately think of) lower thieving skills.
    as for the certainty about the no armor thing, given that they apparently came from the game itself (and at the code level no less) i would probably try to think about offering some explanation as to why you think it is wrong.
    @Dee or @Camdawg might be willing to look into the code to see what if anything is happening. That said this discussion should probably be split off from this page (and thrown into general) since it is off topic.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The only armors that affect thieving skills in any way are the armors that specifically list penalties or bonuses in the item description. There's no hard-coded penalties for specific armors.
    BG2+ToB:
    hide armor - listed
    elven chain - described
    elven chain+1 - described
    sylvan chain+2 - unlisted
    melodic chain+3 - unlisted
    bladesinger chain+4 - unlisted
    aslyferund elven chain+5 - unlisted
    dark elven chain - described
    drow elven chain+3 - described
    drow elven chain+5 - described
    shadow armor - listed
    night's gift+5 - listed
    human flesh+5 - unlisted

BG1:
    shadow armor - listed
    hide armor - described

IWD:
    elven chainmail of the hand+3 - unlisted
    chainmail armor (KAYCHAI.ITM) - unlisted
    shadow armor - listed
    mourner's armor - listed
    studded leather+1 shadowed - listed
    studded leather+2 shadowed - listed
    studded leather+4 shadowed - listed

i may have missed some, but ya, some don't show up in the description. haven't checked EE versions, dee probably meant those (i doubt s/he would contradict sorcerer's place without so much as a google search).
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    jackjack said:

decado said:

@kcwise said:

"Jan, seriously, I'll PAY you to put those clothes back on. I don't care how much more effective your thieving skills are without them!"

You're not the first to think along those lines;

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html
    hehehe... I remember the time @jackjack‌ changed his profile to this... then we had "Santa Hat Christmas season" and I suggested a good place to hang his hat... good times!
    You'll see (almost all of) him again this year!
    Lucky me will see it for the first time!
  • tvjw03tvjw03 Member Posts: 4
    "- While viewing a mage's Spellbook screen, players can now switch to a priest character and the game will immediately switch to the Priest Spells screen (and vice versa)"

Recently added to BGEE; Please make this available Day one in IWDs?

Also custom potraits/photo taker for mobile versions of all would be swell; with a drawn in "hit box" to show the capture area?
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Ten days to go.....
  • ShynShyn Member Posts: 73
    Luke93 said:

Ten days to go.....

If they feel like keeping to the 'likely within a month', yes.... please?
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @Shyn‌ Unfortunately, I guess you're right......
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I want to share this article from 2001 by Ray Muzyka:

"We learned to look at our target date and adjust our content development accordingly. In many ways, quality is more important than quantity.

During testing we adopted a very sound task and bug tracking method introduced to us by Feargus Urquhart, the Director of Black Isle Studios and Chris Parker and Doug Avery, our Black Isle producers (all of whom helped the project in many different ways). We put a number of white-boards in the halls of the testing and design area and listed all of the quests on the boards. We then put an 'X' next to each quest. We broke the designers and QA teams into paired subgroups - each pair (one tester and one designer) had the responsibility of thoroughly checking and fixing each quest. After they were certain the quest was bulletproof, its 'X' was removed. It took about 2 weeks to clear the board (on the first pass).

In addition to the subquest testing, we had another BioWare QA team (consisting not only of a couple people from QA, but also some junior programmers and some designers) work through the game in multiplayer mode. This was in addition to an Interplay Multiplayer QA team working onsite at BioWare and the nearly 30 QA people working down at Interplay. The experience with Baldur's Gate II reinforced the point that role-playing games really need significant QA commitment to be successful.

In the end we found and crushed over 15,000 bugs in Baldur's Gate II. Thanks to the hard work of everyone involved in QA of Baldur's Gate II we were able to ship a giant game with no significant bugs.

The Lesson: test early! You often don't have the time at the end to test adequately."

www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131493/baldurs_gate_ii_the_anatomy_of_a_.php?page=3

I expect the same or nearly the same is taking place now with IWDEE. Indeed, test early and test fully!
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Dee said:

Ah, yes, I understand what you mean. I thought you were thinking that the two were exactly the same; just wanted to make sure there was no confusion. :)

Would it be possible to allow players to use the original IWD UI skin? Looking at them side by side, I agree with some of the other posters that the wooden look is beautiful (although I am not a fan of how often some of the aspects repeat).

That said, the new UI is also very clean and pretty. I am happy either way and excited to get my hands on this terrific game.

• PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Thanks for the replies @Dee and @Kamigoroshi. Can't wait to hear about a release date.